• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update coming, but not 2.2

Been a long time since this original post now. Still no updated word on when (if?) this is coming? This is bordering on the ridiculous now. It's obvious that this rev fixes many issues, and silly that we can't get it yet.

Getting frustrated ...

Been a long time since this original post now. Still no updated word on when (if?) this is coming? This is bordering on the ridiculous now. It's obvious that this rev fixes many issues, and silly that we can't get it yet.

Getting frustrated ...

may indications seem to point to this not ever being released and the fixes rolled into the 2.2 ota :o

Getting frustrated ...

This reminds me of, back in my Eris "waiting for 2.1" days, I'd managed to make friends with a Verizon tech rep who was on the floor temporarily at Best Buy, "Scott." This guy was a wealth of info, and was right about everything he clued me in to.

Then one day he told me that 2.1 was finished in development and was about to be deployed that following week, as I recall.

I broke a few traffic laws on my way home to my computer so that I could post his words.

Well, to make a long story short, he was full of owl manure. The 2.1 update did not come for months after his projected time.

C'est la vie. ;)

i mean this speculation is based upon a lot of things, but vzw could always pull a fast one and send it out...but very unlikely :eek:

I know what you mean. It's just so frustrating to know that my GPS could be working so much better (and I can have all those other fixes), and now I may have to wait until who-knows-when to get it fixed in 2.2 ... Thanks though ..

p.s. I have no interest in manual installs at this point, so I will just be patient it seems :mad:

I know what you mean. It's just so frustrating to know that my GPS could be working so much better (and I can have all those other fixes), and now I may have to wait until who-knows-when to get it fixed in 2.2 ... Thanks though ..

p.s. I have no interest in manual installs at this point, so I will just be patient it seems :mad:

yeah i completely understand the frustration...and the reasons behind those not wanting to root...just gotta hang tight :)

We really need to throw Samsung under the bus for this.

Why haven't more review sites talked about Samsung's horrible support?

I mean, they should do follow up reviews, where they revisit the product 30-60 days later, especially if, at the time of the review, issues were already identified--either by other reviewers or by the online community--so the public can grade the company's ability to respond.

We really need to throw Samsung under the bus for this.

Why haven't more review sites talked about Samsung's horrible support?

I mean, they should do follow up reviews, where they revisit the product 30-60 days later, especially if, at the time of the review, issues were already identified--either by other reviewers or by the online community--so the public can grade the company's ability to respond.

all things being equal though..samsungs android update record spoke for itself long before this phone launched....so that info was out there....i understand not everyone was aware of this....but i was....and im ok with that decision :)

Wait..why would you rush home to post about it when you had a smartphone?

Oh my gosh I never thought of that! I could have posted the whole conversation right there in the Best Buy parking lot on my Eris, with its 528Mhz processor running 1.5.

No. I decided to quickly head home instead. ;)

Oh my gosh I never thought of that! I could have posted the whole conversation right there in the Best Buy parking lot on my Eris, with its 528Mhz processor running 1.5.

No. I decided to quickly head home instead. ;)

*shrugs* Wasn't trying to be demeaning or anything, just wondering. Fascinate's my first phone, so I dun exactly know what any others are like.

If I would have had a Fascinate then, I'd have posted right away. ;)

But the Eris, as good as it was in its time (for me) has been outrun in the web browsing of forums department quite a bit.

I was just kidding with you up there, by the way ("I never thought of that" lol).

Anyway, the main point is that this thread was started in good faith by somebody who had info from a source, but I think update info is a moving target, and for more than one reason: manufacturer and carrier testing are the two biggies, past development.

kitty-suicide.jpg

Just think of the kittens......

I was sold this phone with the salesperson telling me "in a couple weeks" (I bought it in September) we'll be getting the update. I can live without Flash, I am patient enough to handle the GPS issue but I have a car dock rendered useless until this update comes through. Can't play audio until the 2.2 activates the port...ridiculous. Very close to just rooting the damn thing but I know as soon as I do that the update will come the next day. This is my first smartphone and I love it but getting real frustrated not being able to use my car dock the way I want.

I was sold this phone with the salesperson telling me "in a couple weeks" (I bought it in September) we'll be getting the update. I can live without Flash, I am patient enough to handle the GPS issue but I have a car dock rendered useless until this update comes through. Can't play audio until the 2.2 activates the port...ridiculous. Very close to just rooting the damn thing but I know as soon as I do that the update will come the next day. This is my first smartphone and I love it but getting real frustrated not being able to use my car dock the way I want.

I sat on the fence for a long time as well thinking the update was around the corner. The truth is, it's not. Verizon will drive the delivery, not Samsung. Root, get clockwork set up, take a nandroid backup, and move on to DJ05. I am kicking myself for waiting so long. It's a simple process with limited risk if done properly. With the backup, you can always go back...

I sat on the fence for a long time as well thinking the update was around the corner. The truth is, it's not. Verizon will drive the delivery, not Samsung. Root, get clockwork set up, take a nandroid backup, and move on to DJ05. I am kicking myself for waiting so long. It's a simple process with limited risk if done properly. With the backup, you can always go back...

You shouldn't have to root to have a functional device...,that being said as long as you are. Careful and follow directions its not particularly dangerous to go to dj05

Once 2.2 comes out you can get to it without the ota much in the same way you went to dj05

You shouldn't have to root to have a functional device...,that being said as long as you are. Careful and follow directions its not particularly dangerous to go to dj05

Once 2.2 comes out you can get to it without the ota much in the same way you went to dj05

It's only the 1%-ers like us in this forum that feel slighted. My wife has had hers since sept 15th, she loves it. And, she doesn't know, realize, or care about DJ05, 2.2, etc.

The point being, 99% of SF owners are satisfied. Once Verizon receives the update, they are obligated to contracts with vendors (bloat-ware) and they have to be prepared for the spike in support calls once it rolls out. That is why they are in no particular hurry. Why rush for the 1%-ers?

And, at this point does it really matter? We are all competent enough to handle the upgrade ourselves once it hits the dev community.

I have enjoyed the experience with rooting, the ADB shell, flashing ROMS/kernels, etc. If Samsung and Verizon were on top of their game, I would have missed out on some truly intriguing and educational experiments.

I'm becoming extremely frustrated with the lack of update for this phone. I got mine on oct. 15th thinking "there's no way they WON'T release an update soon..."

Then the GPS issues started for me. I'm thinking "OK this is a somewhat major issue, we should get an update soon"

Nope.

No concerns, no acknowledgement from samsung (save the leaked documents about what is going to be fixed).

I just had a coworker stop by yesterday and asked me about my phone cause she's up for one and is doing the "Dinc vs. Fascinate" thing.
I told her it really doesn't matter (first smartphone for her) cause they're so similar you won't REALLY know what you want out of the phone until you actually start using it. BUT with the lack of updates for the Fascinate, I'm thinking about pushing her more toward the incredible.
Verizon has a BOGO on the incredible and I told her to add a line and then sell the phone but I doubt she'll do it.

Anyway, I signed a 1-year on my wifes line so I get a new phone in something like 8 or 10 months. I'll be pissed if I don't get the update for the majority of my time with this phone. Once I'm up for a new one, I'm going to root the sh*t out of this one lol.

I'm gonna give it until the end of the year. I'm technically savvy so I'm not worried about having trouble rooting it, I just don't want the minor headaches that inevitably come along with rooting. I love the SF and I have it setup the way I like it using LP and such...its just the car dock thing is my major gripe. Thanks for the input, I just needed to vent a bit...

It's only the 1%-ers like us in this forum that feel slighted. My wife has had hers since sept 15th, she loves it. And, she doesn't know, realize, or care about DJ05, 2.2, etc.

The point being, 99% of SF owners are satisfied. Once Verizon receives the update, they are obligated to contracts with vendors (bloat-ware) and they have to be prepared for the spike in support calls once it rolls out. That is why they are in no particular hurry. Why rush for the 1%-ers?

And, at this point does it really matter? We are all competent enough to handle the upgrade ourselves once it hits the dev community.

I have enjoyed the experience with rooting, the ADB shell, flashing ROMS/kernels, etc. If Samsung and Verizon were on top of their game, I would have missed out on some truly intriguing and educational experiments.

I think more then 1% of those people bought the car docks under the assumption it will be fixed soon since the clerk selling it to you is supposed to be knowledgeable (I know...what was I thinking?!?). I guarantee most sales people pushed those docks to the customers. Why rush selling those non working docks??? If they will take my money in a rush I expect them to put out quality fully working devices or at least provide a fix in an acceptable time frame.

Back
Top Bottom