• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update on the update, explanations, and - what bugs remain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed some drop downs are obscured by ads on page

Attachments

• xen error.PNG
    xen error.PNG
    333.6 KB · Views: 135
The points system is just a way highlighting helpful members and giving them credibility so new users don't have to assume a lot of posts makes one useful.
Since the profile info is gone, and I doubt anybody actually clicks on the avatars to see it, the whole thing is pointless anyway.

Since the profile info is gone, and I doubt anybody actually clicks on the avatars to see it, the whole thing is pointless anyway.
Not much I can say to that as that's the type of stuff way above my pay grade.:( The best I can say is the drawbacks such losing immediate visibility to profile information are, to me anyway, outweighed by the other XF benefits. That's my opinion only though. Your opinion counts and there may be ways I'm not aware of the show the type of stuff you are looking for.

Hotly Debated is again showing staff threads. They went away for a while, and are still not in the Popular Topics list, but 3 or the five showing for me are staff related. It could be a security risk when staff creates screenshots for things like the FAQ threads.

Hotly Debated.png

Hotly Debated is again showing staff threads.
OLD: If it helps, as a Guide I don't see any staff threads in the Hot or Popular lists, not even GC posts. Just Mods seeing them?

EDIT: One hour after posting this (and 4 hours after Unforgiven's post) I just started seeing the Happy Holidays GC thread in Hotly Debated, but only on the main page.

Last edited:
I kind of want to resurrect the sig thing for a moment-- don't worry, I won't persist. My concern here would be resolved if the device and carrier info from the profile still appeared under the Avatar. However, sigs are really an efficient way to list your active devices, root status and OS versions. This is helpful both for helping someone with trouble shooting when they have theirs listed and helps someone to place your comments in context when you are helping. I think a reasonable length, text only, no links or graphics, would not interfere with the flow. You can even make it appear in gray type.

OK, I made my case... I'll accept whatever you choose to do or not do. I just had to have my say. ;)

Woah this thread is quite helpful. :) We can decide now if its a good update or not. :)
Um, OK.:)

Meanwhile, is the carrier section sorted in any meaningful way? If not, could it be? I went searching for a little known (by me anyway) one and realized it appears to be willy nilly.

If it helps, as a Guide I don't see any staff threads in the Hot or Popular lists, not even GC posts.

Scratch that - now I just started seeing the Happy Holidays GC thread in Hotly Debated, but only on the main page.

Both the Hotly Debated and Popular lists are acting different now. The main page has one list for them, but any forum I view ends up showing a completely different list for both. Up until now the lists were always the same on every page.

Scratch that - now I just started seeing the Happy Holidays GC thread in Hotly Debated, but only on the main page.

Both the Hotly Debated and Popular lists are acting different now. The main page has one list for them, but any forum I view ends up showing a completely different list for both. Up until now the lists were always the same on every page.
Your right. I'm seeing staff posts on all "Hotly Debated" lists, but it's different from the homepage to other pages like this one.

I just can't get past the look of this forum. Its just bad. It is also very convoluted for me. no advanced search that I can see, just a huge search bar up there. no way to easily access your previous post history. Often I will go back to a topic I might have posted in months ago, but here it is hard to find something I posted last month in the android-questions.2400 forum. This will probably sound awful, but I wish this forum had similar functionality compared to xda :( it is just plain harder to find things and get things done on this forum in comparison :(

I just can't get past the look of this forum. Its just bad. It is also very convoluted for me. no advanced search that I can see, just a huge search bar up there. no way to easily access your previous post history. Often I will go back to a topic I might have posted in months ago, but here it is hard to find something I posted last month in the android-questions.2400 forum. This will probably sound awful, but I wish this forum had similar functionality compared to xda :( it is just plain harder to find things and get things done on this forum in comparison :(

Advanced search is a link in the light blue nav bar, although if you're using a narrow screen/window it will get pushed into a drop down menu. 'My posts' is in the same bar, and if you click it you can then click on 'My Posts' or 'My Threads' to pull up a list of previous posts or threads of yours.

So in theory both of those features are as accessible as they were in vBulletin. Unfortunately, at least as far as I can see, the 'My Threads' list isn't working properly at the moment - I get results from 2011 and older but nothing newer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom