• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [MOD] Universal LTE Virgin Mobile APN Fix [WIP] CM/AOSP 4.4.x

Are we likely to notice any difference between them if we run one vs the other...? Doesn't sound like it.

Nope not really. Same APN settings, different script to edit build.prop. If its an LTE build you will miss some good edits that the others wont do.

Thanks to this fine flashable I have been able to send SMS in both messaging and in texta, which is great. I have not however been able to receive SMS in either app. In Messaging, I am given a text with a download button, pressing the button results in failure. In texta I am given a notification that a SMS could not be received and to check my APN settings. I am using CM11 VILLUMINATI 4/27/ on my HTC EVO V 4G (HTC EVO 3D). I can not access the mobile plan in settings to change APN manually, when I attempt to access the setting I am told to inset a SIM and restart. My phone has neither a SIM or LTE, I just use 3G. Hangouts oddly enough will permit me to both send and receive SMS. I do not particularly care for hangouts so if there is a way to get SMS working with messaging or another texting app I would be very appreciative. Thanks in advance.

Thanks to this fine flashable I have been able to send SMS in both messaging and in texta, which is great. I have not however been able to receive SMS in either app. In Messaging, I am given a text with a download button, pressing the button results in failure. In texta I am given a notification that a SMS could not be received and to check my APN settings. I am using CM11 VILLUMINATI 4/27/ on my HTC EVO V 4G (HTC EVO 3D). I can not access the mobile plan in settings to change APN manually, when I attempt to access the setting I am told to inset a SIM and restart. My phone has neither a SIM or LTE, I just use 3G. Hangouts oddly enough will permit me to both send and receive SMS. I do not particularly care for hangouts so if there is a way to get SMS working with messaging or another texting app I would be very appreciative. Thanks in advance.

Best explanation I can give you:

I'm in an LTE area and I just installed Textra. Both SMS and MMS worked fine, but thast me. Hangouts basically works for all because the app itself doesnt use the phones APN settings. It tries (and does) to attain what carrier you are on and use its settings. In our case it will identify you are on the Sprint network and use those APN settings. Why don't we set our phones to the Sprint settings?...no LTE then.

Samsung TW ROMs use a system called chameleon to attain both LTE and SMS/MMS ability. The chameleon system will not work in AOSP / CM ROMs. The system "shows" itself as Virgin Mobile for phone/network but Sprint for MMS.

From my testing of ~45 different setups I found you can send just fine but try to receive an MMS with LTE settings you will get "HTTP error: Authorization Required" error on the logs. Like I said I've tried about 40 diff combos to get it.

Stock SMS app is stuck on the phones APN settings, but 3rd party apps can sometimes work with edits.

Here is the access point info that is on the phone: (my fix)

APN: n.vmu.ispn
MMSC: http://mmsc.vmobl.com:8088/mms?type=null
mmsproxy="68.28.31.7"
mmsport="80"
mcc="310"
mnc="120"

The above is a combo of Sprint and Virgin settings. If you want to try and manually set the Sprint on in a 3rd party app try:

APN: cinet.spcs
MMSC: http://mms.sprintpcs.com
mmsproxy="68.28.31.7"
mmsport="80"
mcc="310"
mnc="120"

The 2nd settings is what the Hangouts default to, first is what Textra does. Try and set the 2nd version

Best explanation I can give you:

I'm in an LTE area and I just installed Textra. Both SMS and MMS worked fine, but thast me. Hangouts basically works for all because the app itself doesnt use the phones APN settings. It tries (and does) to attain what carrier you are on and use its settings. In our case it will identify you are on the Sprint network and use those APN settings. Why don't we set our phones to the Sprint settings?...no LTE then.

Samsung TW ROMs use a system called chameleon to attain both LTE and SMS/MMS ability. The chameleon system will not work in AOSP / CM ROMs. The system "shows" itself as Virgin Mobile for phone/network but Sprint for MMS.

From my testing of ~45 different setups I found you can send just fine but try to receive an MMS with LTE settings you will get "HTTP error: Authorization Required" error on the logs. Like I said I've tried about 40 diff combos to get it.

Stock SMS app is stuck on the phones APN settings, but 3rd party apps can sometimes work with edits.

Here is the access point info that is on the phone: (my fix)

APN: n.vmu.ispn
MMSC: http://mmsc.vmobl.com:8088/mms?type=null
mmsproxy="68.28.31.7"
mmsport="80"
mcc="310"
mnc="120"

The above is a combo of Sprint and Virgin settings. If you want to try and manually set the Sprint on in a 3rd party app try:

APN: cinet.spcs
MMSC: http://mms.sprintpcs.com
mmsproxy="68.28.31.7"
mmsport="80"
mcc="310"
mnc="120"

The 2nd settings is what the Hangouts default to, first is what Textra does. Try and set the 2nd version

Very informative thank you very much. Textra defaults to the 2nd cinet.spcs APN settings you provided, changing the default to the 1st n.vmu.ispn APN settings resolves the issue. I am am now able to both send an receive MMS texts.

I just wanted to mention that the new Sprint ND8 KitKat update works out of the box with Virgin Mobile. It appears to pull the following APNs OTA after flashing to a Virgin Mobile S3 (they do not appear in the default apns-xml.conf file):

Code:
  <apn carrier="APN0 LTE ota" numeric="310120" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="otasn" user="" server="" password="" proxy="" port="" mmsproxy="68.28.31.7" mmsport="80" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="http://mms.sprintpcs.com" type="fota" />
  <apn carrier="APN0 EHRPD ota" numeric="310120" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="otasn" user="" server="" password="" proxy="" port="" mmsproxy="68.28.31.7" mmsport="80" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="http://mms.sprintpcs.com" type="fota" />
  <apn carrier="APN2 LTE internet" numeric="310120" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="n.vmu.ispsn" user="" server="" password="" proxy="" port="" mmsproxy="68.28.31.7" mmsport="80" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="http://mms.sprintpcs.com" type="default,mms" />
  <apn carrier="APN2 EHRPD internet" numeric="310120" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="n.vmu.ispsn" user="" server="" password="" proxy="" port="" mmsproxy="68.28.31.7" mmsport="80" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="http://mms.sprintpcs.com" type="default,mms" />

I don't know if this is useful to you but these APNs do work on CyanogenMod, Vanir, and SlimKat (these are the only ROMs I've tested) when restored using APN Backup and Restore. MMS still does not work through stock messaging on AOSP-based ROMs (works fine on ND8) but I use Hangouts for MMS anyway so that doesn't bother me.

I don't know if anybody else has tried the LTE switch, but if I use the current Universal APN fix, it breaks the LTE switch. The phone just continuously searches for a network. If I merge the APNs in the fix with the ones provided by CyanogenMod, the LTE switch works as expected. Again, I don't know if it's useful, just my personal experience.

I couldn't get data on my S3 with the ND8 update until i flashed the APN fix. Did you have to let it settle a while

I couldn't get data on my S3 with the ND8 update until i flashed the APN fix. Did you have to let it settle a while

Yeah, about 5 to 10 minutes. Like I said, the APNs aren't even in the apns-conf.xml file that comes pre-baked into the ROM so it's definitely detecting the phone and pulling them in from somewhere.

They are very similar. The "mmsc=" settings are Sprints instead of Virgins. Does the ND8 build.prop have the Sprint or Chameleon settings?

I never took the MK5 update, so I don't have knox. Its not that I care if I trip it or not, just haven't found a reason to upgrade yet. Seems from what Ive read no way to flash ND8 without knox.

They are very similar. The "mmsc=" settings are Sprints instead of Virgins. Does the ND8 build.prop have the Sprint or Chameleon settings?

I never took the MK5 update, so I don't have knox. Its not that I care if I trip it or not, just haven't found a reason to upgrade yet. Seems from what Ive read no way to flash ND8 without knox.

Yeah the added APNs are very similar to yours. I've also noticed that the 'type' settings are slightly different.

Looks like the ND8 build.prop uses straight up Sprint settings.

As far as I know, ND8 requires the ND8 bootloader to operate.

Sorry for the double post. I felt like this night be important, but at the very least, it's quite interesting.

Seems that our default APN for LTE/eHRPD is stored in the /efs partition in apns.xml but it's not the same format as a normal apns-conf.xml file. I think this may be from where the ND8 ROM is grabbing our APN. Also, under the latest version of CyanogenMod, I deleted all APNs using APN Backup and Restore, and to my surprise, the signal went black for a moment then came back up as LTE connected. I was able to use the phone as normal with NO APNs. I wonder if CyanogenMod is also able to use the apns.xml file to load some default APN.

all i gotta say is thank you to the op of this thread.seriously i got all curious George and started messing with vpn and proxy setting to try and take off the data cap throttle with this it helped me do that alot. i got endless 4 data and no cap thanks alot truly from the heart

I just wanted to mention that the new Sprint ND8 KitKat update works out of the box with Virgin Mobile. It appears to pull the following APNs OTA after flashing to a Virgin Mobile S3 (they do not appear in the default apns-xml.conf file):

Code:
  <apn carrier="APN0 LTE ota" numeric="310120" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="otasn" user="" server="" password="" proxy="" port="" mmsproxy="68.28.31.7" mmsport="80" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="http://mms.sprintpcs.com" type="fota" />
  <apn carrier="APN0 EHRPD ota" numeric="310120" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="otasn" user="" server="" password="" proxy="" port="" mmsproxy="68.28.31.7" mmsport="80" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="http://mms.sprintpcs.com" type="fota" />
  <apn carrier="APN2 LTE internet" numeric="310120" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="n.vmu.ispsn" user="" server="" password="" proxy="" port="" mmsproxy="68.28.31.7" mmsport="80" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="http://mms.sprintpcs.com" type="default,mms" />
  <apn carrier="APN2 EHRPD internet" numeric="310120" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="n.vmu.ispsn" user="" server="" password="" proxy="" port="" mmsproxy="68.28.31.7" mmsport="80" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="http://mms.sprintpcs.com" type="default,mms" />
I don't know if this is useful to you but these APNs do work on CyanogenMod, Vanir, and SlimKat (these are the only ROMs I've tested) when restored using APN Backup and Restore. MMS still does not work through stock messaging on AOSP-based ROMs (works fine on ND8) but I use Hangouts for MMS anyway so that doesn't bother me.

I don't know if anybody else has tried the LTE switch, but if I use the current Universal APN fix, it breaks the LTE switch. The phone just continuously searches for a network. If I merge the APNs in the fix with the ones provided by CyanogenMod, the LTE switch works as expected. Again, I don't know if it's useful, just my personal experience.

Did you install ND8 over your MK5 ROM and bootloader?

Same here. I'm on ND8 with Virgin Mobile and I've let the phone sit for thirty minutes now. No data.

Flashing the APN fix shortly.

UPDATE: Everything works correctly after APN fix.

Same here. I'm on ND8 with Virgin Mobile and I've let the phone sit for thirty minutes now. No data.

Flashing the APN fix shortly.

UPDATE: Everything works correctly after APN fix.

Can you post the md5 checksum for the APN fix? I can't flash it. I have downloaded it 3 times each with the following results when I try to install the zip using PhilZ v6.0.4.5 I l also tried the custom version but ALL had the following result:

. Can't open /data/media/0/download/universal_vmu_apnfix-v.R1.zip
. (bad)
. installation aborted

I can (and have) flashed the ROM several times but can't get the apn zip to flash.

The funny part is that I flashed this file a couple of weeks ago but no longer have that copy.

EDIT: I flashed the Boost version ( I got the Boost version off of my wife's S3). 3G works but I can't get LTE to work.

EDIT 2: On the Boost apn I am getting the following error:

. Unable to establish a wireless data connection EHRPD : 7

EDIT 3: I'm guessing that my current LTE problem is because I am using the Boost apn DUH!

So now I am back to trying to figure why I can't flash the VM version... Still looking for the md5 checksum data.

Can you post the md5 checksum for the APN fix? I can't flash it. I have downloaded it 3 times each with the following results when I try to install the zip using PhilZ v6.0.4.5 I l also tried the custom version but ALL had the following result:

. (bad)
. installation aborted

I can (and have) flashed the ROM several times but can't get the apn zip to flash.

The funny part is that I flashed this file a couple of weeks ago but no longer have that copy.

EDIT: I flashed the Boost version ( I got the Boost version off of my wife's S3). 3G works but I can't get LTE to work.

EDIT 3: I'm guessing that my current LTE problem is because I am using the Boost apn DUH!

So now I am back to trying to figure why I can't flash the VM version... Still looking for the md5 checksum data.

6cc348c8b81e39f507301669bed06b12

. (bad)
. installation aborted

May want to update your PhilZ. I'm not on the most current but I use the 6.25.0-d2lte version. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken (I haven't read much on it yet, haven't done it) but if you have knox you may have to update the recovery via odin? (Or is it just ND8?)

Also what ROM are your flashing this on?

May want to update your PhilZ. I'm not on the most current but I use the 6.25.0-d2lte version. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken (I haven't read much on it yet, haven't done it) but if you have knox you may have to update the recovery via odin? (Or is it just ND8?)

Fourth time was a charm. I just re-downloaded the file (for the 4th time) and it works great. Don't understand why the first three downloads were bad!!!

I will post the checksum for future reference.

Thanks

My md5 checksum is: 6CC348C8B81E39F507301669BED06B2

you are correct update Philz via Odin is required after you move to ND8

Just heimdall'd stock ND8 tar. Booted and settled and updated. [Data and wifi were working fine] Heimdall'd Philz touch 6.41.6. Backed up stock updated ND8. Flashed Uni APN Fix Custom. Rebooted. Sent MMS with stock Messaging. Group MMS is working on stock Messaging, send and receive. Just received MMS pic also. This is ******* fantastic. Good work everyone involved and thanks for the fix, once again, MopedRyder

Looks like I'm having similar issues to you guys. I'm supposed to have "Best" LTE in my area but I'm CONSTANTLY on 1 bar. I've flashed AOKP, Liquid Smooth even gone back to a 4.3 Stock/Rooted rom... and nothing is helping. Flashed this APN fix (even though I'm on MD5) and still haven't gotten any digital love. Can someone guide me how to fix my signal? Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom