• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [MOD] Universal LTE Virgin Mobile APN Fix [WIP] CM/AOSP 4.4.x

so this was my second attempt to root a SGS3 (VM) and omg... im use to rooting a sprint version root flash good to go but now theres the apns and stuff!!!!! hahaha anyways i made an account so i could say THANK YOU for this before the network would not work on the VM sgs3 and now it does!!! so to keep up to date with you i made an acc and bookmarked the page hahah thanks again!!!!

Updated the OP. Changed to version R2. Only change is updating the update-binary in it. So version R1 have the same changes, you just wont get the warning on flashing with R2.

Also I found that you may want to Flash your ROM then let it boot first before installing the LTE fix. I found it didnt 'take' until I flashed ROM (Gapps), rebooted recovery, flashed fix.

So i installed cm11 nightlies on my galaxy s3 and for virgin mobile SPH-L70 and the service changed from vrigin mobile to sprint , i activated the phone before i installed the rom, but i only activated , i didn't add service (35$) it was only activated,now I'm not sure if when i top up its going to work since it deleted the virginl mobile app

So i installed cm11 nightlies on my galaxy s3 and for virgin mobile SPH-L70 and the service changed from vrigin mobile to sprint , i activated the phone before i installed the rom, but i only activated , i didn't add service (35$) it was only activated,now I'm not sure if when i top up its going to work since it deleted the virginl mobile app
It will work u don't need that app to top up.Just go the vm website or dial *729 or 611

Is there a fix for MMS on the stock messaging app yet?

No. Not sure it will be possible at this point without building the mms.apk from source. Something I don't do. I went thru another round of testing for possible fixes, but all failed with MMS on the stock app.

The settings that permit LTE connections for CM/ASOP ROMs also make the MMS messages unable to receive. Ill keep trying but dont hold your breath.

Virgin phones on the Sprint network you skip the activation at the ROMs boot. Also if you let the ROM boot first, then on 1st reboot flash the fix it should switch to Virgin on the listing.

I flashed CM11 a few nights ago along with the APN fix. When I first turn my phone on, it will connect to the network and then after a second or two, it will disconnect. It will do this for a few minutes and will finally establish a connection to the network. After that, everything works fine.

Incase it matters, I flashed:
-CM11
-Gapps
-Rebooted and setup CM11 by signing in and all that.
-Went back into recovery and flashed the APN fix.

Should I reflash the APN fix? Or maybe even CM11 to fix this?

Should I just reflash CM11 then? I did use the latest nightly.\

Edit - I see there is already a newer nightly out.

Aye, it seems like the newer nightlies have a fixed APN, but the Snapshot doesn't. And using the "fix" just breaks things. I had to reflash mine too.

I still couldn't get MMS working on mine with the default app, though, so I got Textra and it worked right away, no overrides.

I'm back up all my apps so I can flash the newer nightly now. I noticed my camera hasn't been working at all today so that is broken for some reason. Weird, it was working fine yesterday.

Thanks for the help!

I wouldn't even worry about wiping userspace before updating to a new nightly, unless for some reason it doesn't solve your issues. Not that a backup isn't a good idea either way though.

Aye, it seems like the newer nightlies have a fixed APN, but the Snapshot doesn't. And using the "fix" just breaks things. I had to reflash mine too.

I still couldn't get MMS working on mine with the default app, though, so I got Textra and it worked right away, no overrides.

The apn "fix" is more to get Virgin LTE working on the Sprint network than anything else. Getting MMS to work on the stock app would need the MMS.apk to be compiled from source with correct edits.

If you get LTE working on stock CM nightly that's great! If at first boot you cant get an LTE connection then reboot to recovery and try the APN Fix I created.

I downloaded the CM nightly (11th) and looked at the apn file. Its 1650 lines long (mine is 27). CM has to accommodate for darn near every carrier it may come across. Because of this a 1650 line APN is not out of the ballpark.

For Virgin Mobile MMS line 23 had:
Code:
<apn carrier="Virgin Mobile US" mcc="200" mnc="053" apn="0" port="" mmsproxy="205.239.233.136" mmsport="81" mmsc="http://mmsc.vmobl.com:8088/mms?" type="mms" />
but again on line 759 is had:
Code:
<apn carrier="Virgin Mobile US" mcc="311" mnc="490" apn="0" mmsproxy="205.239.233.136" mmsport="81" mmsc="http://mmsc.vmobl.com:8088/mms?" port="" type="mms" />
They are very similar but not the same connection settings. So which is correct? This "fix" I had is an attempt to get LTE working on Sprint networks and to simplify the APN settings.

When I get time this week Ill try another CM variant and run some tests based on what I see. Getting LTE up and working has always been #1. Ive accepted the fact that for stock MMS.apk to work it would have to be compiled and no APN "fix" will do it. Stick to Hangouts or Textra and we are golden.

:rolleyes:

Okay so I ran into an issue with the Play Store and ended up reflashing my phone. It turns out I did need the APN fix, but then I still needed to reflash Cyanogen to get it to actually work. So after a little trial and error this is the process that worked best:

1. Wipe for new ROM
2. Install Cyanogen Nightly
3. Boot, get through initial setup, says Sprint (connection seemed fine though, at least for SMS)
4. Flash APN Fix
5. Boot, now says Virgin but wont stay connected (might actually be specific to 3G)
6. Reflash Cyanogen
7. Now I have good signal, confirmed data working on 3g and 4g, and it still says Virgin

Also, although it's probably unrelated and unimportant overall, Google Play is now showing my carrier as Verizon. I'm pretty sure it at least said Sprint before, though, lol.

So I flashed this on my phone but it didn't work it only allows me to use CDMA but not LTE/CDMA. It added the word EVDO as well after I flashed it. what do I do need help asap!

So I flashed this on my phone but it didn't work it only allows me to use CDMA but not LTE/CDMA. It added the word EVDO as well after I flashed it. what do I do need help asap!

I saw some did the dial ##72786# and then in more settings menu, hit activate and it repaired data. But it depends on what you did to get into the position youre in now.

Just wanted to mention re:

Question: Will mms work on XXX mms app?
Answer: I only use Hangouts and I tested mms on that...worked. Textra reported working too

It's working for myself and a friend flawlessly with chomp which is a nice simple but well featured sms app. Send / Receive mms all day works like a charm on CM 11 M9 and nightlies.

I'm using R2 fix and now R2 fix combined with stock mms fix that was just posted.

Back
Top Bottom