• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] removed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, got the correct zip and 8.1 update. Flashed both but stuck on black screen at boot (after Samsung logo).

Firstly, was your phone updated to MG5 before you installed? That's a requirement and you can't update after installation.

Second, check the MD5 of the downloads against the ones on the AFH download page (Google it if you don't know how) to ensure an uncorrupted download.

Third, as long as you're on MG5 and the MD5s match, try selecting the stock kernel instead of TeachMe's kernel. You may be one of the unlucky ones to get a phone that won't overclock.

Fourth, if the stock kernel doesn't work, TeachMe has posted a failsafe kernel a couple posts back in this thread. If all else fails, try it.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Installed 8.0 and 8.1 this morning. Incredibly cool. I love the installer. I was so excited picking features I almost couldn't wait to install it! It went from a rom that was strictlty what the dev wanted (which was cool in itself) to being insanely customizable. You have truly outdone yourself. Great job bro! :cool:

My phone is now completely cool and blazing fast to use. Plutonium Updates are so far flawless. If you guys still keep track with the Antutu Benchmark, it jumped to 18000 on my phone even faster than Nexus 4. I don't know how but it did. lol I was all happy with Victorious pushing my phone the 12000. Thank you for all your work, Moon.

My phone is now completely cool and blazing fast to use. Plutonium Updates are so far flawless. If you guys still keep track with the Antutu Benchmark, it jumped to 18000 on my phone even faster than Nexus 4. I don't know how but it did. lol I was all happy with Victorious pushing my phone the 12000. Thank you for all your work, Moon.

That's probably the new kernel. Make sure to thank TeachMe for that one when the opportunity arises.

-------------------------------
Just wanted to let everyone know that the next major (see below) release may not have Xtheme Engine as a preinstall (although Xposed Framework Installer will still be an option, and you should be able to get Xtheme Engine from within). I've decided to try a different theming system that I found over at XDA. It seems to be just as easy to apply themes, offers a way to 'preview' the theme (screenshot preview like Theme Chooser for CM), and is infinitely easier to make themes for (which is my real reason for choosing, I'm lazy lol).

EDIT: EVEN BETTER! I don't have to make this a full release, this system is so simple, I can just include it in an update!

Mornin' Moon, been test driving Plutonium and love it. Tried a few themes and the only issue I have found it that the dialer, contacts and toggles stay the same as the default. Not sure if it's user error or if I had just missed something.

Just mentioning it to see if others are seeing the same thing :)

Mornin' Moon, been test driving Plutonium and love it. Tried a few themes and the only issue I have found it that the dialer, contacts and toggles stay the same as the default. Not sure if it's user error or if I had just missed something.

Just mentioning it to see if others are seeing the same thing :)

It's because the XThemes have to be made ROM-specific to support theming all apps/elements. The themes in the thread I linked to are not made for my ROM, but work generally well enough to be usable. There will be glitches and limitations.

The themes that I am building for the new theme system that I'll be testing shortly will be for our specific ROM. This system is also easy enough to learn that anybody with knowledge on how to decompile and recompile an apk (and photoshopping skills) can do create their own theme!! As you can see, I'm very excited about the prospects of this system.

There are actually two different theming systems that I'm exploring, both of which have a very similar layout (one having been based on the other).

Once I'm done building my first test theme, I'll be trying it out on my phone and then I'll distribute a test build to the usual parties (everyone who asked to beta-test 8.0 will get a PM with a link -- working this time, I promise -- to download the test build).

EDIT: I lost my list of testers! If you want to test the next build, PLEASE PM me! General requirements for testing:
  • Must have Conquest Plutonium/8.0 installed
  • Must have ability to read and follow directions (that means, if you don't send me a PM but reply to the thread asking to test, you won't be receiving a link :-))
  • Must have ability to make and restore a backup in recovery
  • Must have ability to pull a logcat log from your phone and send it to me

UDPATE: Ok so the first system did not work. Unfortunately this means you will have to apply the themes from within recovery, no big deal because the system for applying from recovery WORKS! Few more tweaks to make and I'm going to send a test out. Thanks for your patience, everyone.

There are 2 reasons that I haven't switched from CM yet:

1. Customizable toggles in the noti menu
2. Swipe status bar to change brightness

Any chance either of these will make it to a future release? I just use them too often to be without.

I tried 7.2, and it was excellent. Really great work. The community owes you a debt of gratitude.

There are 2 reasons that I haven't switched from CM yet:

1. Customizable toggles in the noti menu
2. Swipe status bar to change brightness

Any chance either of these will make it to a future release? I just use them too often to be without.

I tried 7.2, and it was excellent. Really great work. The community owes you a debt of gratitude.

this rom uses power toggles instead of factory one so they are customizable as far as brightness control if you scroll over on toggles you will see brightness. There are more than 6 toggles in this rom.

Can I remove gps, location and Bluetooth from the toggles?

I didn't see power toggles in 7.2, did I just miss it or is it new?

If yes, I'm downloading now.

Can I remove gps, location and Bluetooth from the toggles?

I didn't see power toggles in 7.2, did I just miss it or is it new?

If yes, I'm downloading now.

you can pick what you want and dont want in power toggles only the toggles you want will show up now it dont give you slider brightness but it does give you auto/50%/100% which should cover any situation.

Sold.

Did I just miss it before, or is it new? Didn't see it in the change logs, or any settings for it in the menus in 7.2

Sold.

Did I just miss it before, or is it new? Didn't see it in the change logs, or any settings for it in the menus in 7.2

From changelog (specific item bolded for emphasis):
10/05/2013: R5
  • Replaced AOSP Camera with TouchWiz Camera
  • Added customizable Lidroid Power Toggles notification widget
  • TouchWiz MMS icon now hidden from launcher
  • AOSP-themed Camera and Gallery launcher icons
-----------------------
I pulled the download link for 8.1 due to a bug in SecPhone.apk. I'll post a new build later tonight.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I cant get 8 to run stable. If i do a clean install get stuck at samsung screen. If I just install over top of R7 it installs and boots but all sorts of apps crash. Tried TeachMe's test kernel same thing.

Any Ideas?

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I cant get 8 to run stable. If i do a clean install get stuck at samsung screen. If I just install over top of R7 it installs and boots but all sorts of apps crash. Tried TeachMe's test kernel same thing.

Any Ideas?

Did you update your base to MG5 before installing Conquest? It's a requirement. If you didn't update, please restore your stock backup and update before installing Conquest.

What recovery/recovery version are you using? Did you try installing the 8.1 update before it got pulled (see note above)? Did you try using the stock Samsung kernel? I highly recommend wiping system, data, davlik and cache before installing 8.0. There are a lot of changes not only to system files but also the the placement of user apps that can cause bootloops if this is not done.

If you tried using the 8.1 update, don't. There was a bug in the SecPhone.apk that caused some problems (and caused my phone to bootloop on a couple of occasions). 8.2 update will be up shortly.

Announcement #1
10/28/2013: Plutonium/8.2
  • Fixed SecPhone.apk bootloops/crashes/misc bugs
  • Fixed dialer button highlighting
  • Fixed default lockscreen wallpaper now matches default wallpaper
---------------------------------------
Announcement #2
I have finally figured out how to use the VillainROM Theme System!
See post #2 for my first theme, AOSP Orange. This is essentially just a recolor of the default theme, but the VRTheme system is flexible enough to theme just about any element of the ROM, and anybody that can decompile/recompile an APK file can use it!

Hi Moon, Great mod! I have been using it since the beginning. Since 8.0 (that I have noticed) Google Calendar will not sync. Killing the account and clearing data from the app does nothing. Any ideas or is that outside the scope of what you have been changing?
Thanks for all the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom