• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] removed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Release 6 seems good but is there a reason why Facebook needs to be preinstalled? Not complaining, just wondering.

I like Facebook preinstalled.

R6 does look good..
Rather disappointed mediashare will be removed yet will see how this all plays out..

@Moon: as you once stated it may be wise later down the line to have different packages to add or remove some apps.
I'm aware it will take a bit of time for such actions to happen, yet you have come a long way with this Rom & I'm seeing a real push between Conquest & Victories user's..

Keep up the great work Moon.

What does media share do exactly? I found it on a "bloat list" which is why it's removed. It's easy enough to put back in if there is a purpose behind it.

Ultimately I'd like to switch over to an aroma based installer to select which apps are preinstalled and which aren't, which kernel to use, etc. I have surgery coming up in a couple of days and a long recovery period after. Maybe I can learn aroma.

Hey civic, sorry again about the apns test messing up your 4G. Did you manage to get that straightened out? I think I know what caused it but I'm not going to mess with apns again for a while.

Media Share is located within 'Wireless and Network settings' at the bottom of the list.
When enabled were able to stream our video, music & pic files over to any device (such as PS3, 360 & many home tvs)..
Pretty much anything that's connected within the same home network can view these files from the cell once granted to do so..
Definitely beats wasting a user's time installing/buying a 3rd party software to do the same thing within the app store..

I use it rather often for vids I download for my children. As well as showing off photos to friends & family..

Also please keep S-Beam & NFC intacked as its nice to easily tranfer files, links, ext to my fellow co-workers.

#Another request:
Witch I'm just throwing out there as I stream Pandora at work.
Even via strait stock Rom I'm unable to have notifications or hear my cell ring when plugged into external speakers via the earphone jack.
(it rings & outputs sound however only through the internal cell speaker)
I have enabled auto to forward through the jack yet all sounds EXCEPTION my music is outputted via the cells handset speaker. Mind you the music pauses when a call or other notification is present however it's annoying as I work in a very loud environment..
Any thoughts to forward all audio to external speakers would be lovely as other cells do (back burner project)

Yes, I only had 3hrs sleep today as I was determined to fix the 4G issue..
In a nutshell & after a few re-downloads of the test.zip I was able to return 4G to normal.. Only issue present is no incoming mms messages however outbound messages send fine.. No worries as at least 4G is back up & running again.

-Civic

I've seen that before, but I could never figure out how to share it with other devices, maybe mine aren't just compatible? It would make sense that my devices would be compatible, as my TV, pc and many other devices are also Samsung.

Media Share is located within 'Wireless and Network settings' at the bottom of the list.
When enabled were able to stream our video, music & pic files over to any device (such as PS3, 360 & many home tvs)..
Pretty much anything that's connected within the same home network can view these files from the cell once granted to do so..
Definitely beats wasting a user's time installing/buying a 3rd party software to do the same thing within the app store..

I use it rather often for vids I download for my children. As well as showing off photos to friends & family..

Also please keep S-Beam & NFC intacked as its nice to easily tranfer files, links, ext to my fellow co-workers.

#Another request:
Witch I'm just throwing out there as I stream Pandora at work.
Even via strait stock Rom I'm unable to have notifications or hear my cell ring when plugged into external speakers via the earphone jack.
(it rings & outputs sound however only through the internal cell speaker)
I have enabled auto to forward through the jack yet all sounds EXCEPTION my music is outputted via the cells handset speaker. Mind you the music pauses when a call or other notification is present however it's annoying as I work in a very loud environment..
Any thoughts to forward all audio to external speakers would be lovely as other cells do (back burner project)

Yes, I only had 3hrs sleep today as I was determined to fix the 4G issue..
In a nutshell & after a few re-downloads of the test.zip I was able to return 4G to normal.. Only issue present is no incoming mms messages however outbound messages send fine.. No worries as at least 4G is back up & running again.

-Civic

That actually sounds useful. Media share will be restored in R6.1 along with a quick tweak to the notification layout. I've made so many changes trying to get it to look exactly like AOSP that I included the wrong SystemUI in the R6 package. It's still functional.

NFC and S-beam should still be present as I don't recall removing them.

The music thing sounds like it's pretty low level and would likely require better smali skills than I possess.

Also, I sent you a PM on how to fix your 4G, or at least I think I did. I was pretty tired last night. If you didn't get it, let me know, please.

I'll look into it. It's probably either DLNA or UPnP based. For example, a PlayStation 3 would probably work.

That is correct..

No, I have not received a true 4G fix however my 4G data does work.. I'm just unable to receive MMS's.. Send works just fine however I'm still using GoSMS with the included url we have spoken about..

Thank you for restoring MS..
My family thanks you..

That is correct..

No, I have not received a true 4G fix however my 4G data does work.. I'm just unable to receive MMS's.. Send works just fine however I'm still using GoSMS with the included url we have spoken about..

Thank you for restoring MS..
My family thanks you..

OK I sent you a PM again with what I believe will fix your 4G properly. If you need any of those files, I can upload them when I get home. Sorry again for the trouble.

OK I sent you a PM again with what I believe will fix your 4G properly. If you need any of those files, I can upload them when I get home. Sorry again for the trouble.

No worries as that's what backups are for in the end..
I'll play around with your PM & see what findings come about.

thanqs for your work. if a way to reduce the cpu but with out the app

The frequencies are coded into the kernel. I can't change them because I am not a kernel builder and really have to desire to be one.

EDIT: R6 release delayed due to aforementioned systemui layout bug. I'll get it fixed and re-upload. Might as well put media share back in while I'm at it.

On a side note, the R6 installer WILL wipe system so if you are using any kind of internal 2 external mod or link 2sd, you will have to reinstall it. I recommend backing up your apps and data and performing a full wipe before installing. Expect links tomorrow morning!

Thank you bro. This rom is rocking. I flashed with TWRP 2.6.3.0 and it's running perfectly. I was running Victorious Rom so I wiped system, data, cache, dalvik and then flashed R4 rebooted and setup and then I flashed R5.2, wiped cache/dalvik and rebooted with no problems. Of course I had to make some of my own customizations to it as well. Thanks for putting this out to us and soon enough I will give something back to the community soon. Yeah you right.

I forgot to add that I converted most of the google system apps to user apps, deleted the google keyboard and google tts and put the Samsung Keyboard in system along with the Samsung TTS. I flashed the Swap internal/external zip along with Koush's Superuser (Supersu was laggy as hell). My encrypted backups are trimmed down to 512mb with TWRP 2.6.3.0. MMS hasn't been a problem and my 4G connection surpasses my wifi connection. Yeah you right and thanks again.

10/12/2013: R6
  • Corrected color of text-field cursor (now white instead of blue)
  • Improved notification item layout spacing/margins (more improvements to come)
  • Pre-installed apps updated
  • Facebook, Google Maps, and Street View pre-installed
  • Restored Gallery Slideshow function
  • Removed Kies, TouchWiz Music Player, and ChromeBookmarkSyncAdapter
  • Added AOSP Music app and Movie Editor
  • Replaced 4.2 Launcher with Trebuchet 1.0
  • Added Trebuchet settings to system settings app (under Personal)
  • Added Toggle settings to system settings app (under Personal)
  • Removed Toggle Settings icon from launcher drawer
  • Enabled auto-reject feature to block calls (Phone -> Settings)
  • Enabled first-run wizard (only runs after factory reset)
----------------------------------
Seems there may be a bug with AllShare Media. Originally I intended to remove this from R6 but when I decided to put it back, I only put back half of it. I'll release an update to fix that later on.
I also want to include ES File Explorer pre-installed.
I'm also going to restore the notification layout to remove the gap between notifications. I hate the black bar and until I can figure out how to make it transparent, the gap must go.

10/12/2013: R6.1
  • Restored SystemUI Notification Item layout to that from R5.2
  • ES File Explorer pre-installed
  • Fixed AllMediaShare service
  • Updater-script now intelligently updates the version number in build.prop instead of replacing the file (for those of you who like to tweak your build.prop)

Please do not attempt to activate/reactivate your phone while using Conquest as it may break 4G. I Updating PRL and/or profile may have the same effect (not tested). The option to activate will be removed in a forthcoming update.

A suggestion, if possible ZArchiver makes for a perfectly adequate file manager, while handling decompression of any formats I've encountered, including 7z. Would cover a lot of bases as a foundation app.

A suggestion, if possible ZArchiver makes for a perfectly adequate file manager, while handling decompression of any formats I've encountered, including 7z. Would cover a lot of bases as a foundation app.

I love zarchiver also but it doesn't have the root or LAN features of ES File Explorer.

Update PRL/Profile should be safe. Do not wipe DATA. This appears to possibly cause some LTE issues. Looking into it.

PRL update killed 4G on 6.1..
I'm sure profile will result in the same outcome.

Just warning other's as you MAY lose 4G regardless..

-Civic

Need some help, am running 5.2 and data had been working fine then all of a sudden it went out(I literally woke up and it was no longer working). Can't do a prl update, rebooted, cleared cache, disabled 4G and data, still no luck. Do you think R6 will help me, downloading it now.

OK so a data wipe does not actually affect LTE mode, just takes longer than cdma-only to acquire the initial signal. As for update PRL/profile, it seemed to go without a hitch. The real problem is that there's no 4G service here so it's difficult for me to troubleshoot. I'm going to take a look at the stock /system partition because there must be something, or some permission perhaps, that I'm missing. For now, don't update PRL or profile if you're using 4G. Thanks to everyone for their help and patience.

If you have lost 4G, please restore your stock backup. Should fix it.

I just tried it for the lols, and it still has 4g. I normally wouldn't be able to test it but I took a trip to an area with 4g.
EDIT: after the prl update, I still have 4g but it is a bit shaky.

@Moon:
May be wise to release the "test.zip"..
As I'm on 6.1.. For testing did a PRL update. Lost 4G, then reinstalled the test.zip you let a few of us play with.

Long story short test.zip restored 4G data. ;-)

The problem with the test zip is that it hard codes the APN instead of using the chameleon ones our phone is supposed to use. In doing so, it breaks MMS over LTE. Until this problem is resolved, I won't release the modified APN zip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom