• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [VIRGINMOBILE][GUIDE][BASIC][WIP] Rooting for Newbies!

Is there a stock recovery image for Virgin Mobile. If one of them is for Virgin Mobile I suggest relabeling it. I noticed that there were two one tar the other.

Another question for unroot say I have to return it, why won't SuperSu oneclick unroot work?

The SuperSU unroot would work as well for unroot :)
I posted the OneClick rom as an unroot method to cover the possibility of someone having a custom rom :)

Upvote 0
They are both Virgin Mobile. One is a TAR and the other IMG.

Yeah the SuperSU unroot would work as well for unroot :)
I posted the OneClick rom as an unroot method to cover the possibility of someone having a custom rom :)

Sorry to dredge this up again, but is it my understanding that there is no way to reset the flash counter? And has anyone run into trouble with returns specifically to radioshack.

I've been reading about triangle away as well would that work in this case as well?

Upvote 0
They are both Virgin Mobile. One is a TAR and the other IMG.

Yeah the SuperSU unroot would work as well for unroot :)

EDIT: Forgive me, I am incorrect. I was confused thinking I was on the Galaxy S2 thread and I posted in haste. There is no OneClick rom listed as an unroot method in this guide. So yes, the SuperSU unroot method would be the way to go as well as flashing the stock recovery back to the device :)

Upvote 0
Sorry to dredge this up again, but is it my understanding that there is no way to reset the flash counter? And has anyone run into trouble with returns specifically to radioshack.

I've been reading about triangle away as well would that work in this case as well?

I have not tried Triangle Away on the Victory. I did work on the S2 but only on ICS. It didn't work on Jellybean. But using the root method posted in this guide, I did not get any yellow triangle. I simply flashed TWRP with Odin and then used TWRP to flash SuperSU and Busybox. No yellow triangle :)

Upvote 0
Bit of a noob here, so please be gentle...

I'm using a regular Sprint Galaxy Victory, originally bought with ICS and recently updated to JB using Sprint's over-the-air update last week.

I've followed these rooting instructions to the letter.

When I boot into TWRP, I get a TWRP header but no buttons onscreen and the log just shows:

Unknown File System 'datamedia'

and a hundred rows of

Unable to load button image

Can anyone help me? :)

Upvote 0
Bit of a noob here, so please be gentle...

I'm using a regular Sprint Galaxy Victory, originally bought with ICS and recently updated to JB using Sprint's over-the-air update last week.

I've followed these rooting instructions to the letter.

When I boot into TWRP, I get a TWRP header but no buttons onscreen and the log just shows:

Unknown File System 'datamedia'

and a hundred rows of

Unable to load button image

Can anyone help me? :)

I'm not exactly sure. It could be that the TWRP listed here is for the Virgin Mobile device? Have you tried to use the instructions listed here but with TWRP for the Sprint version? I'll look into it and see if I can't post another TWRP recovery for you to try..

EDIT: The TWRP recovery should work on the device whether its Sprint or Virgin Mobile so I'm not sure what the issue is. Did you install the recovery using Odin and selected the file under PDA slot? Also, uncheck autoreboot and when the recovery has successfully flashed, unplug and do a battery pull. Replace battery and then boot into recovery?

Upvote 0
I'm not exactly sure. It could be that the TWRP listed here is for the Virgin Mobile device? Have you tried to use the instructions listed here but with TWRP for the Sprint version? I'll look into it and see if I can't post another TWRP recovery for you to try..

EDIT: The TWRP recovery should work on the device whether its Sprint or Virgin Mobile so I'm not sure what the issue is. Did you install the recovery using Odin and selected the file under PDA slot? Also, uncheck autoreboot and when the recovery has successfully flashed, unplug and do a battery pull. Replace battery and then boot into recovery?
Aha - it seems vague whether files are Sprint-specific or Virgin-specific. Seems like almost everyone in this thread is a Virgin person.

I could definitely use help locating Sprint-JB-specific versions of TWRP and the rooting files themselves.

Upvote 0
Aha - it seems vague whether files are Sprint-specific or Virgin-specific. Seems like almost everyone in this thread is a Virgin person.

I could definitely use help locating Sprint-JB-specific versions of TWRP and the rooting files themselves.
Yes - I used Odin, the PDA slot, and did follow those instructions very carefully, including the battery pull. Other than the settings I was instructed to change, I left Odin with its defaults intact.

I could just try to repeat the whole thing (if it's safe to try again).

Or I could try CWM next, but it's not clear where a Sprint, JB-specific .TAR can be found (all the links I've found are dead) and whether I can just Odin-load a CWM right over the busted TWRP I currently have.

Upvote 0
Yes - I used Odin, the PDA slot, and did follow those instructions very carefully, including the battery pull. Other than the settings I was instructed to change, I left Odin with its defaults intact.

I could just try to repeat the whole thing (if it's safe to try again).

Or I could try CWM next, but it's not clear where a Sprint, JB-specific .TAR can be found (all the links I've found are dead) and whether I can just Odin-load a CWM right over the busted TWRP I currently have.

You can install a recovery directly over another one. I couldn't get CWM to install on my phone but it may work on yours. Yes, it does seem this device forum is prominently Virgin Mobile users. You bring up a good point. We need some Sprint specific device files, recoveries, and even a stock image dump. g60madman is a developer and has just been given a Sprint version of this phone. He may be of some help here. He will be developing this phone and I bet he can also tell us what recovery is best for your device. I would like to eventually have a file library for the Sprint version like we have here for the VM version.

Reactions: odopodo
Upvote 0
So am going along minding my own business and i see this new phone 'VM SG Victory'. I just had to have it so, i put down some duckies and took my precious little thing home. A couple of days later i decided to backup my new toy to it's new 32gb extsdcard but low and behold i can't use full features of Titanium without root. Well i had told myself NOT to start getting to technical with this device so as not to melt my brain any sooner then what is already happening. Yea well, one step leads to another and next thing you know am here and successfully rooted. Thanks a lot guys, you just contributed to the continual rapid melting of my brain. Now about that kernel... hehehe

Reactions: TheBritton
Upvote 0
So am going along minding my own business and i see this new phone 'VM SG Victory'. I just had to have it so, i put down some duckies and took my precious little thing home. A couple of days later i decided to backup my new toy to it's new 32gb extsdcard but low and behold i can't use full features of Titanium without root. Well i had told myself NOT to start getting to technical with this device so as not to melt my brain any sooner then what is already happening. Yea well, one step leads to another and next thing you know am here and successfully rooted. Thanks a lot guys, you just contributed to the continual rapid melting of my brain. Now about that kernel... hehehe

LOL! Welcome to the dark side :D

Upvote 0
LOL! Welcome to the dark side :D
Thanks! Am in Houston by the way. Was just reading the CyanogenMod wiki and thinking of maybe building my own rom. I been running my own cooked RedSpot Linux since 2001 so i may give it a try if i get enough free time. Honestly though, i have done my best to NOT get geeky with smartphones. Am getting old and it will melt my brain... lol

Reactions: TheBritton
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
TheBritton - Thanks for sticking with me.

I am on L300 VPBMC1 -- does this help explain what's going on with me?

Hmm well I'm on VPAMC1. To be honest, I'm confused by that because I'm not familiar with the Sprint version and its build numbers. I was under the impression the build numbers for the Sprint versions were LH1 for ICS and LJ9 for JB. I'm going to try to get some info from someone more familiar or maybe send them this way to help you more.

Upvote 0
Hey all,
I merged all of the posts regarding the Stock Virgin Mobile System Dump into this thread: http://androidforums.com/victory-4g-lte-all-things-root/711140-stock-tar-virgin-mobile.html

This is just to keep the root thread tidy for those having questions about rooting their phone. The other thread will be more suitable for discussing the stock system backup and it will keep everything about it in one place :)

I think this will make it easier to stay on track this way. Just wanted to let you guys know. Thanks! :D

Reactions: JacobK254
Upvote 0
THIS METHOD INTENDED FOR VIRGIN MOBILE USERS

ROOTING FOR NEWBIES!

First off, thanks to xInterlopeRx who is a part of [OUDHS] (Official Unloved Devices Hit Squad) which brought us ports such as the TWRP and CWM recoveries which will be used to root this phone. Expect brilliant future development from this team! Be sure and give a thanks to them!

If you just bought the phone you are probably on Android OS 4.1.2
If you are still on Ice Cream Sandwich (Android OS 4.0) this guide will still work for you, but you might want to upgrade to Jellybean using the "Update Firmware" option in System Updates found in your settings menu before you root.

Make sure you have the Samsung USB drivers installed on your computer.
You may find those here: Samsung_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1.5.14.0.exe

First thing you'll need to root this phone is a custom recovery. You will need to download that here: TWRP.2.4.3.0.tar

Now, you're gonna want to save these two files (you will flash them with your custom recovery after it's installed) and place them on your sd card:
busybox_v1.20.2-CWM+.zip
SuperSU-v0.94+.zip

If you don't have Odin installed on your computer, do that now. You can find Odin here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2133496

You have downloaded and installed Odin and Samsung USB drivers listed above? You've downloaded the TWRP .tar file to your computer and you've place the SuperSU and Busybox zip files on your SD card? Okay, great!

Now, let's flash the custom recovery, which will be TWRP, on your device! And let's root this thing!

1. Turn off your Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE
  2. On your PC, launch the ODIN.exe file you unzipped from the prerequisites.
  3. On ODIN, click the PDA section and select the TWRP .tar you downloaded from the link above. Uncheck Auto Reboot! Make sure NO partition options are checked!
  4. Place phone in download mode by pressing Volume Down + Power. Hold until confirmation screen appears. Confirm by pressing Volume +.
  5. Connect your phone to the PC via USB cable
  6. Check ODIN. A small box on the upper left should turn blue and the dialog box must display "Added!!"
  7. Select "Start" and wait for it to finish. After it is complete, Odin will say PASS! After you see this, disconnect the USB cable from your phone and pull your battery out of your phone.
  8. Place the battery back in. While holding the VOLUME UP button, press the power and hold it until you see the green text that says "Booting into recovery". As soon as you see this green text let go of all the buttons!
  9. Click on Install in your custom recovery (TWRP) and navigate to where you placed the two files listed earlier which will be the Busybox and SuperSU zip. You will want to install both of those. Assuming it is successful, you will then want to select Reboot System from your TWRP menu.
  10. You should now be rooted! I assume you are familiar with what rooting does so there is no need to explain how SuperSU works. ENJOY YOUR ROOTED PHONE!
Hey, Britt...I followed the directions, I downloaded a portable wi-fi hotspot app but it is not working.
I don't think I put busybox and superSU on my sd card correctly..could that be the problem?
Which hotspot app is the best one that works with this?

Upvote 0
Hey, Britt...I followed the directions, I downloaded a portable wi-fi hotspot app but it is not working.
I don't think I put busybox and superSU on my sd card correctly..could that be the problem?
Which hotspot app is the best one that works with this?

This one is confirmed to work. Use the settings described in this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2027788

When you use any "root only" apps you should see it requesting superuser access. If you do, then you have root. Just grant it permission when it asks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones