• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [VIRGINMOBILE][GUIDE][BASIC][WIP] Rooting for Newbies!

and yes i wiped cache/dalvik or whatever

i used the updated versions of SuperSU and then tried it with the versions you have posted here.. i did everything EXACTLY and wiped that cache and stuff like you said to another guy and it FAILS every single time... checking for MD5 is where if messes up every single time... figures id be the one person that cant root this damn phone... awesome

oh and when it reboots into recovery mode or whatever.. the writing is blue, not green.. not sure if that matters... im using a Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE running JellyBean 4.1.2 on the Virgin Mobile network... i literally followed this step by step and it fails at the busybox install EVERY TIME!

md5 redownload.

dont know what that means

re download what?!?!? ive downloaded SuperSU 1.30 and busybox from other sites... that didnt work... so then i went back here, to the first page and downloaded SuperSU 0.94... busybox 1.20 and TWRP 2.4... started over fresh with everything he posted in here (and removed the other versions from my phone)... so i started over with new files twice and each time it's exactly the same!

what i did was actived the device with vm,,, let it download all the updates over wifi and then i used odin to place twip in. booted to twp flash both superuser and bbox and rebooted all is fine. i upload the file i used shortly stand by

superuser
https://www.dropbox.com/s/slj1bwsn6b8i75s/SuperSU-v0.94+.zip

busy box
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xugqo80yovh22m9/busybox_v1.20.2-CWM+.zip

twip
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0s5tcorrr5stveh/TWRP.2.4.3.0 (1).tar

odin
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xwrvcnw8eqhcd24/Odin3_v3.04.zip

unzip odin run with admin rights and anti virus off to be safe other wise follow op Directions

^ i used all of those files exactly... and followed OP directions... im a n00b at this stuff but i KNOW i followed his directions to the T... i have AVG anti virus on my phone but i doubt that's the problem considering every single time ive tried to do this, it fails at the busybox portion... says missing MD5 or whatever and ive tried it a million times... it's frustrating and i feel like my phone just cant be rooted.

Are you downloading using Phone or a regular computer?
I would disable any Antivirus running and download again.

Also, the recovery text is Blue, and you will see a TeamWin splash screen when booting into recovery.

Is there a Stock Recovery somewhere?
I may need to return my phone.

Try to return it without one, I've found that many companies no longer care about custom ROM's, recoveries, etc. I'd recommend trying to flash our VM stock image, though, if possible. But if its Sprint hardware, it won't help.

I'm trying to follow your rooting instructions on your original post, but it seems your links that go to waywardpilgrim.net are all dead. Would you mind rehosting the files? Thank you, Britton!

It seems the entire site is down. I will upload the files to my mediafire account and change the links in the guide accordingly.

Since I don't want to step on any toes by doing this, I will return the links back to waywardpilgrim.net once the site is back up again.

PLEASE STAND BY.. UPLOADING..

Thanks so much! Your links and instructions worked perfectly. I was getting very frustrated when all my previous attempts had failed, only to discover those tools/instructions were meant for sprint phones.

Thanks so much! Your links and instructions worked perfectly. I was getting very frustrated when all my previous attempts had failed, only to discover those tools/instructions were meant for sprint phones.

Looks like Interloper who hosts these files is changing servers along with the domain name. I will restore these links so they direct to his site once his files transfer over. Thanks to him (not me) and the OUDHS :)

Glad this method worked for you!

Ok... so I was screwing around on my phone, edited some startup file (build.prop) because some website said editing it would make it faster and I copied some code into it... now it doesn't start up. I can get into download mode and twrp mode, but I forgot to make a backup... How can I fix it? I had it rooted with SuperSU and BusyBox and had that new kernel flashed that made it go 1.5 ghz. I tried a factory reset, reflashing the SuperSU, busybox, and the kernel, and I tried clearing that cache thing but it still says Samsung but doesn't got to the VM screen, it just stays black with the led on. Sorry, I'm a noob and 15 XD I tried the backups, but it doesn't read it. Sorry for posting it in this thread, I just made the account

Ok... so I was screwing around on my phone, edited some startup file (build.prop) because some website said editing it would make it faster and I copied some code into it... now it doesn't start up. I can get into download mode and twrp mode, but I forgot to make a backup... How can I fix it? I had it rooted with SuperSU and BusyBox and had that new kernel flashed that made it go 1.5 ghz. I tried a factory reset, reflashing the SuperSU, busybox, and the kernel, and I tried clearing that cache thing but it still says Samsung but doesn't got to the VM screen, it just stays black with the led on. Sorry, I'm a noob and 15 XD I tried the backups, but it doesn't read it. Sorry for posting it in this thread, I just made the account

A factory reset will not restore the build.prop. More than likely when you modified the build.prop file it made a backup of the original and titled it "build.prop.bak" or something similar. You are going to need to restore that by renaming it build.prop which could be a problem if you can't boot the phone. Maybe someone has a zip file of the original build.prop and if not I'll see if I can make one when I get time.

A factory reset will not restore the build.prop. More than likely when you modified the build.prop file it made a backup of the original and titled it "build.prop.bak" or something similar. You are going to need to restore that by renaming it build.prop which could be a problem if you can't boot the phone. Maybe someone has a zip file of the original build.prop and if not I'll see if I can make one when I get time.

My phone didn't back up that file, I just used a text editing program and copy/paste for the code.. I think I made a backup of that file half way through messing with it, but I tried using the file manager thing on twrp to copy the file but it didn't work.. It says it's successful in copying the file, but it still doesn't boot up.

Thank you so much for this step by step on rooting. I will admit I am a newbie to rooting and to Android in general. I look forward to learning more from this site and passing on said knowledge to future members! One other question I had was now that I have a rooted Samsung Victory is there a way to run apps from an SD card rather than phone memory?

Thank you so much for this step by step on rooting. I will admit I am a newbie to rooting and to Android in general. I look forward to learning more from this site and passing on said knowledge to future members! One other question I had was now that I have a rooted Samsung Victory is there a way to run apps from an SD card rather than phone memory?

Apps to SD on this phone is not a native feature to this phone. Some users have posted threads on how they have moved app data to sd. You might check those out here in the all things root section :)

Back
Top Bottom