• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [VIRGINMOBILE][GUIDE][BASIC][WIP] Rooting for Newbies!

I click screen orientation it takes me to resolution. Guess i'll have to try a different computer. Nice to be stopped by something so silly.

I click screen orientation it takes me to resolution. Guess i'll have to try a different computer. Nice to be stopped by something so silly.

I just googled it cause I couldn't remember, it's cntrl+alt+arrow keys. ;)

Also, most models of Aspire have VGA or HDMI out, and most newer TVs have VGA and/or HDMI in, so borrow a VGA cable and hook it up to your TV (or a friends, it's just for a moment after all).

I had googled it too and tried ctl alt arrows, still nothing. think i have an older model that doesnt do it. just took this one out of box it had been in for a couple yrs cause my other computer is out of commission. thanks for the vga reminder though. you are incredibly helpful. how do i donate to development?

I had googled it too and tried ctl alt arrows, still nothing. think i have an older model that doesnt do it. just took this one out of box it had been in for a couple yrs cause my other computer is out of commission. thanks for the vga reminder though. you are incredibly helpful. how do i donate to development?

I know many of the Aspire series had screen rotation native, others did not, so users in the forums I used to go to used third party software to do the same thing. Here's one I found at the top of a quick Google search:
Rotate your screen and trackpad with ScreenMouseRotate | Netbook Network

Yeah the screen is definitely smaller and its not Super Amoled but it's still nice. Also the camera is 5MP as opposed to 8MP on the S2. I guess it's a trade off for the LTE ;)

Megapixels isn't what matters for image quality. It's the lens and the quality of the sensor. Either 5 or 8 megapixels can't be taken advantage of by the crappy optics on any phone anyway. It's just marketing. I'm actually surprised that there are techies who fall for this and think 8mp vs 5mp means something. Are you guys just unfamiliar with digital photography since you rely solely on your phones?

Megapixels isn't what matters for image quality. It's the lens and the quality of the sensor. Either 5 or 8 megapixels can't be taken advantage of by the crappy optics on any phone anyway. It's just marketing. I'm actually surprised that there are techies who fall for this and think 8mp vs 5mp means something. Are you guys just unfamiliar with digital photography since you rely solely on your phones?

I am an avid photographer and I don't rely on my phone for photography.
Take a picture with your one megapixel front facing cam and then take a picture with your eight megapixel rear facing cam and you will notice the difference. I prefer a higher resolution on my phones camera because you do notice the difference when the picture is enlarged or zoomed in.

Yes, the lenses are inferior to a "real" camera and I know this from experience. I'm not looking for professional photos from my phone, I just prefer higher resolution for any image :)

It's all preference ;)

I am an avid photographer and I don't rely on my phone for photography.
Take a picture with your one megapixel front facing cam and then take a picture with your eight megapixel rear facing cam and you will notice the difference. I prefer a higher resolution on my phones camera because you do notice the difference when the picture is enlarged or zoomed in.

Yes, the lenses are inferior to a "real" camera and I know this from experience. I'm not looking for professional photos from my phone, I just prefer higher resolution for any image :)

It's all preference ;)

If you want professional pictures from your phone, buy an iPhone5! ;)

everytime i go to download the supersu.zip file, it takes me to the play store, but the directions clearly tell me to download the ZIP file and place on my sd card, how can i do that when the link takes me to XDA site, and the link there is the play store link, im confused on how to ge tthe zip so i can place on my sd card

everytime i go to download the supersu.zip file, it takes me to the play store, but the directions clearly tell me to download the ZIP file and place on my sd card, how can i do that when the link takes me to XDA site, and the link there is the play store link, im confused on how to ge tthe zip so i can place on my sd card

The zip link is just underneath the Google play link on that thread :) Here ya go:

http://download.chainfire.eu/345/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.51.zip

Enjoy! If you need any more help let us know :)

I agree now. ChainFire's SuperSU has always been terrific, but a recent update had it breaking several different phone models, including the Victory (for some).

Koush's Superuser is every bit as good, and it's open source as well, allowing devs to truly understand how to integrate it with a ROM, which means you get better first and second level support with any issues that may arise. ;)

I found an app in the play store called zipme that allows noobies like myself to make apps or data or anything into zips that can be flashed in recovery, making backing up and restoring them very easy.

Can I use the new versions of superSU or does it have to be 1.34? because when I click on the link for the super SU all it gives me is their forum and all they have is 1.45 and over

Can I use the new versions of superSU or does it have to be 1.34? because when I click on the link for the super SU all it gives me is their forum and all they have is 1.45 and over
Search for Koush on the Play Store, then look for the app called Superuser with a # sign for it's icon. At the bottom of the app description is a link for a flashable zip file, use it.

SuperSU by ChainFire had some recent issues that cause bootloops on the Victory for some people, and others temporarily lost root. Koush's Superuser is open source, so updates to it are widely tested by developers before making it into final releases.

EDIT: Forgive me, I am incorrect. I was confused thinking I was on the Galaxy S2 thread and I posted in haste. There is no OneClick rom listed as an unroot method in this guide. So yes, the SuperSU unroot method would be the way to go as well as flashing the stock recovery back to the device :)

Where is the Stock Recovery for download?
Is it included with SuperSU?

When flashing Busybox and Superuser I get following message (after it checks for MD5 file and doesn't find one and then does...)

Verifying zip signature...
Verifying update package...

[I think this is where the problem starts]

E:signature verification failed
Error flashing zip '/external_sd/busybox_v1.20.2
Updating partition details...

When flashing Superuser it also says

E: failed to verify whole-file signature

Any help?

Im having this problem.
Tried wiping cache.
No delvik cache option.
Please help.

I followed the instructions perfectly.

Please post suggestions or recommendations for this guide and feel free to post tips, support, and other info that may be helpful to others. If I missed anything or made a mistake in this guide please let me know so I can make changes to keep this as accurate, current, and informative as possible :D

The goal for the "Library" here is to consolidate data, roms, kernels, mods, and eventually modems etc. This is everyone's so please post suggestions, additions, info, etc so we can help us help each other if that makes sense ;)

If links are later discovered to be dead please let me know.

Great guide I appreciate the work. I recently upgraded from my EVO3D which I had S-OFF, and rooted. At home my EVO got 600k down, 500k up. My Samsung got 18MB down 5UP, amazing :) Now I setup tether / wifi or something I will be thrilled. (yeah yeah I know be careful)

So I have been digging around and cant find an answer to a couple questions.

I know obviously from your guide I can root the phone, is the such thing as S-OFF or equivelent, or is that just an HTC thing I dont need on Samsung as there is no boot loader.

Also the one suggestion / question I had was how to dump a STOCK as shipped image backup of my phone before I started rooting it.

Hopefully I didn't miss this information elsewhere. Thanks so much for yours and everyones work and great guide.:D

Back
Top Bottom