• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [VIRGINMOBILE][GUIDE][BASIC][WIP] Rooting for Newbies!

Thanks for a simple easy to follow guide! Got my phone this afternoon, was rooted in no time! Kudos to everyone leading the way and helping out on development for this phone!

Although I rooted an LG Optimus V last year (so that I could use Link2SD), I'm still a newbie because I don't really understand how any of this works. But I just bought a Victory and would like to root it before... well, before I do pretty much anything with it.

First question: should I activate the phone before or after rooting? Does it matter?

Second question: what's all this about a "custom recovery"? Is that different from installing a custom ROM? I don't want the phone to function any differently; I want to use the normal Android 4.1.2 operating system that it came with, but I want to have root access for certain things.

Although I rooted an LG Optimus V last year (so that I could use Link2SD), I'm still a newbie because I don't really understand how any of this works. But I just bought a Victory and would like to root it before... well, before I do pretty much anything with it.

First question: should I activate the phone before or after rooting? Does it matter?

Second question: what's all this about a "custom recovery"? Is that different from installing a custom ROM? I don't want the phone to function any differently; I want to use the normal Android 4.1.2 operating system that it came with, but I want to have root access for certain things.

I don't believe it matters but I would activate first just to be safe.
A custom recovery is the utility you boot into in order to "flash" zips such as custom roms to your device as well as other functions. It will not change the performance of the phone. Recovery is booted into by holding the volume up button while powering up the phone. Your stock device has a stock recovery on it right now.

A custom recovery is the utility you boot into in order to "flash" zips such as custom roms to your device as well as other functions. It will not change the performance of the phone. Recovery is booted into by holding the volume up button while powering up the phone. Your stock device has a stock recovery on it right now.
So the custom recovery is a startup program that you only have to run ONCE, in order to do whatever needs to be done to give yourself root privileges, and after that it's not used again?

So the custom recovery is a startup program that you only have to run ONCE, in order to do whatever needs to be done to give yourself root privileges, and after that it's not used again?

It can be used again.. to install things such as custom kernels or custom roms. Pertaining to the root method the recovery is used to achieve root access by flashing superuser and busybox.

so, I am working on rooting this bad boy and for some reason I am unable to copy the files from my PC to the SD card. I have it connected as as Media Device... The PC recognizes the phones SDcard but won't let me drag and drop.

What am I missing?? I have never had this issue with any other Android phone.

Thanks in advance for the help!

LC

so, I am working on rooting this bad boy and for some reason I am unable to copy the files from my PC to the SD card. I have it connected as as Media Device... The PC recognizes the phones SDcard but won't let me drag and drop.

What am I missing?? I have never had this issue with any other Android phone.

Thanks in advance for the help!

LC

When you plug in the phone, do you see "Card" and "Phone"?

You should be able to drag and drop to the Card. I'm not sure why you can't but have you tried saving the files directly to your card with your phone's web browser?

Yes, my pc shows both the phone and card. As soon as I try to drag the file, I get the crossed out circle, of that is an adequate visual. Could it be a setting or the usb cable?

I have not tried to download directly to the phone. I will give that a shot!

Thanks,
LC

Just make sure you HAVE NOT installed CWM prior to flashing TWRP over or the INSTALL button will not be there...

I get to
Click on Install in your custom recovery (TWRP) and navigate to where you placed the two files listed earlier which will be the Busybox and SuperSU zip. You will want to install both of those. Assuming it is successful, you will then want to select Reboot System from your TWRP menu.
and the only options I have when I did it are
reboot system now
apply update from adb
apply update from external storage
wipe cache partition
apply update from cache

so what should I do now? not messing with it other than selecting "reboot system now" until I hear back

Found out what I was doing wrong after watching the youtube video- if you don't do it right the first time, you have to redo ODIN again....did that and now it works fine.

Hi there. I was able to do the first part of the process, but I held the buttons too long (I guess) when I rebooted to get into recovery. Now when I go into recovery, it doesn't say (TWRP), so I'm afraid to install anything from there. I did the Odin deal, and it went fine the first time, but after I messed up the recovery boot, I figured I'd just do the process over again, but now whenever I try to boot my phone into 'download' mode, it doesn't let me. Basically it shows the option screen for like half a second and it doesn't matter whether I press the volume up key or not (or how quick I press it), it just doesn't do anything at all after that.

Any help would be appreciated. Please remember also that I'm an idiot.

Thanks for posting this as well. I'm sure once I can get it to work I'll be happy as a clam.

Hello,

I'm new to rooting and only after I bought the Galaxy Victory did I finally get up the nerve to root my old Optimus V. Needless to say I love the results, and wish I had done it much sooner.

Now I want to root the Victory! I have one question. I realize it does not mention it anywhere in the instructions, but just to be absolutely clear, do I NOT have to enable USB Debugging first? It was required to root the Optimus V.

Seeking clarification,
Rick

No you don't need USB debugging turned on to root. You may need to use it later on for some reason but not to root.

ok got that but for some reason i cant get to the bottom of odin where the start button is. I have a small computer but i dont know if thats why. I cant move it up and the start button is on the bottom. I know its a silly problem but its stopping me.

ok got that but for some reason i cant get to the bottom of odin where the start button is. I have a small computer but i dont know if thats why. I cant move it up and the start button is on the bottom. I know its a silly problem but its stopping me.

Try changing your PC's resolution just long enough to click that button, then set it back to your previous resolution.

Another trick I used to use on my AcerAspireOne is to rotate the screen, allowing me to see the bottom of items that were too large for the screen's height. It's usually done with cntrl+arrow keys, or in settings.

Back
Top Bottom