• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What DON'T you like about Gingerbread

Switchpro app no longer toggles GPS, 3G and Wifi for me...it is opening the settings page so I have to manually turn them on and off. The page opened for 3G seems to have nothing to do with data connection or not...

Go Launcher is the best app to have IMO. I was a HUGE LPP fanboy but that was having SOOO many issues in Froyo I have given up on it.

Widget Locker seems to hang when you turn the screen on sometimes where you have to wait an additional 5 seconds to swipe to unlock.

I was having the same issues with Switchpro, but if you open the app and change the settings to not open the options menu, it will toggle Wifi. I don't use it for data, so I can't speak to that. For GPS I got GPS OnOff and it works fine. I emailed the developer of Switchpro to see if there's an update on the way, but no reply.

Also, I was having major lag and redraws on LPP but using SpareParts, I changed the built in task killer to Normal, and it's all perfect now.

WL, unless rooted, has a delay. Go into your settings and check out the HomeHELPER Info.

Upvote 0
Hi all...first post from me, but I needed to get my many issues with the GB update off my chest. Just did the update middle of last week and have experienced a multitude of problems since. Running Droid X stock.
Heres a few of the issues I have had. Tried to make a phone call using stock phone dialer. Put number in, hit send, number would disappear and call would not go out. Tried multiple times. Powered off, then on and it started working. Did this a couple more times in the past week.
I am supposed to receive email alerts when severe weather is coming. Late last week, weather was coming, received no alerts. Made me wonder what was going on. Tried forcing manual update, no emails came. Rebooted phone and about 20 different emails flooded in on several accounts. Apparently, I was not receiving any emails until I rebooted.
Several different apps I use (scanner radio for one) work for a little bit, then phone reboots on its own. Phone is VERY laggy. Phone will sometimes reboot on its own just sitting there doing nothing.
Several other issues I can't think of right now.
Never had ANY of these problems with Froyo. The changed look of screens and some functionality don't bother me, but these other problems are driving me crazy. And yes, I have powered off, pulled battery, etc.
I might post more problems if I think of them.
Kevin

Upvote 0
For the people having lag issues and other problems (battery, FC's, syncing, etc)....Coming from the Blackberry Storm one thing you would have to do when a update came out is to factory reset and reinstall everything. If not you would have alot of problems on a problematic phone which would lead to fustration and a HUGE headache. Saying that I recommend if you are having problems to do a factory reset and reinstall everything. I know its painful. I actually was rooted with Apex 1.4.1 on Froyo and went to the .596 manual update. To do so I had to SBF, factory reset, and then installed .596. After reading this thread my phone is working extremly well compared to others.

I really like gingerbread/blur along with the new color scheme. I hated the gray it seemed boring. Would be nice if Android would/could implement a way to theme out your phone the way you want it without having to root.

Battery life is as good if not better than Froyo or Apex.

I never notice or cant remember how bright the bottom lights were on Froyo so on Gingerbread it doesn't bother me. They do seem bright but not a deal breaker for me.

The keyboard is......different. Not sure what it is or how to explain it. But Swype seems to do better for me since Gingerbread. There are always 100's of them in the market as well.

My biggest problem is the camera reseting the resolution back to widescreen every single time you close it is extremely annoying. But I'm confident we will get one more small update to the phone to fix some bugs/problems.

Upvote 0
Tried to make a phone call using stock phone dialer. Put number in, hit send, number would disappear and call would not go out.

I was having this problem. A battery pull fixed it.

Several different apps I use (scanner radio for one) work for a little bit, then phone reboots on its own.

My Scanner Radio went a little flaky after the update (GB all stock), but I was able to get it going again. Try the following:

• From the Home screen in Scanner, hit the Menu button then "Settings"
  • Select "Player Settings"
  • Select "Streaming Method"
  • If "Android Media Player" is selected, then try "Custom Player"

Scanner Radio started streaming right away after I made this change, with no random force closes / reboots.

Hope these help.

Upvote 0
welcome!...hope you stick around!

well if we didn't have blur everything would be black and green...so pick your poison...personally i think the blue beats the crap out of black and green

The keyboard...something about it. The buttons are a tad smaller? I'm not sure but I find myself making many more mistakes than I did when I first started using the 2.2 keyboard.

the dock is a built in feature of Android....so not having one would actually be less "droid-ish"

well they needed a way to try and incorporate the new "groups" feature of the app drawer to organize apps...

touch the dock and slide your finger up the screen...BAM!

or...when you're on the main home page just click the home button...

yeah the feature you miss is gone...but it was replaced with something much better!

i agree about the battery usage...but i think the rest of the UI is a whole universe better than Froyo...

no, they didn't say that at all...they said "please" instead of "fool"

i think this is a COMPLETELY unfair criticizm to put on Moto and the DX...this is not a feature built into Android, and is not available on 99% of Android phones...i know the Thunderbolt has a "theme" option...do the other new HTC phones as well??...

absolutely...

1 minute is a long time??...thats roughly how long it takes my phone to boot...if you are seeing much longer times than that...something is wrong...

Yeah, I messed up the quote (just thinking about the original while I typed), obviously you know what I mean though.

COMPLETELY unfair? Not really. You're kind of illustrating my point by pointing out how many phones (none) don't have the option to change such simple things like a color. Once again, "Droid does..." not.

I noticed your sig says your Droid is rooted and has LauncherPro Plus? Kind of a heavy unspoken criticism of Droid don'cha think? ;)

Upvote 0
Noticed battery life dropping faster than before update.-Maybe the increased brightness of everything is eating battery?

Lock screen too dark. Used to be able to see wallpaper behind. Now barely there.

When opening an existing text message, the keypad doesn't auto open like before, have to touch in the box to bring it up.--This is driving me crazy

Hard buttons are too bright and seem to come on randomly.

No detailed large battery life icon showing remaining capacity like was in Froyo.

Notification bar icons too small now and harder to see since it's dark.--Why make it so small?

Liked the Froyo text message dialogue colors better.

Upvote 0
well some comments in this thread made me want to keep my phone on liberty rom on .340.

But after using the .596 stock rom. I see some of the issues resolving themselves. On the colors, they are modifyable with themes and you can make your own. so far nothing about Gingerblur is keeping that from happening.

On the keyboard, I like the new ability for numbers and symbols on long presses. works very well. and as far as I can tell, the bits are not really any smaller, but they are separated more. honestly this helps me and my large fingers. I don't hit 2 keys at once.

battery life is better than my froyo was. or atleast the same as when I was on Apex rom.

most of the apps work quite well. I have yet to use maps. But damn, from the vibe here, you would think the whole damn thing is DOA.

I do think I will need a theme for it.

OH and uhm, netflix. can I get an AMEN!

Upvote 0
It suck's nuff said. My phone hated it. I had to sbf at least ten time's after having it on my phone never again will it be on my phone. My next phone will not be smart, Verizon will get my money for 5 more month's then I will get stupid with a dumb phone, they just keep wanting more and more of our money and give us less.

Upvote 0
These two things are driving me crazy right now, especially the blue screen on Facebook. Whoever thought of that, why?

Also, I'm not a fan of the dark bar at the top, and what seems to be smaller darker icons. Just doesn't make sense to me.

I seriously think you should flash to factory and erase all user data....granted that I DO have the extended battery, but I get into the 2nd day dying by 11am-12pm if I don't charge on the first day, and I get a LOT of email, moderate data usage, and at least 15 calls per day.

Something isn't right....

Upvote 0
I've done a reset and it most definitely did NOT fix this battery drain, and I even use the extended battery. I've even turned off or uninstalled several apps, and still, it gets sucked dry. Only once since install did it not suck, and that was because I didn't touch it for about 8 hours. But as soon as work was done, and I picked it up, it dropped like a rock. I don't get it. Nothing is different from Froyo!!

I have a theory, though. The screen on seems to be the majority of the drain, but my usage hasn't changed. So if many of you recall, with Eclair, battery life was bad. They improved it with Froyo. I think someone screwed up the coding and made GB revert to use more battery when you have the screen on. Moto morons!!

Upvote 0
They should start calling it Ginger Bug.

1. Camera settings = Fail
2. Battery life = Fail
3. Keyboard (design, layout, & operation) = Fail
4. Use of app memory = Fail

In a nutshell, Gingerbug slows down my phone and it is jagged and rough when Froyo was nice and smooth.

I never liked the taste of Gingerbread anyway.

Upvote 0
I've done a reset and it most definitely did NOT fix this battery drain, and I even use the extended battery. I've even turned off or uninstalled several apps, and still, it gets sucked dry. Only once since install did it not suck, and that was because I didn't touch it for about 8 hours. But as soon as work was done, and I picked it up, it dropped like a rock. I don't get it. Nothing is different from Froyo!!

I have a theory, though. The screen on seems to be the majority of the drain, but my usage hasn't changed. So if many of you recall, with Eclair, battery life was bad. They improved it with Froyo. I think someone screwed up the coding and made GB revert to use more battery when you have the screen on. Moto morons!!

Seems to only affect your phone. or at least few others. Mine is working fine on stock GB. Infact I picked up some battery life having come from Liberty rom on Froyo (.340 to be exact). and my phone seems to be faster with the new apps that are out.

I was finding that a lot of the new apps were slow to respond on my DX. Now they all move very quickly.

Battery life as improved. I would almost tell you to SBF your phone back to the .340 (there is an easy way using a linux disc that is really really easy). this would give you back .340 (froyo) and in the boot loader there are simple instructions to wipe data, AND cache. This will completely reset your DX. take the OTA update, and you should be working better.

Additional problem I forgot to mention:
My Verizon Backup Assistant keeps failing. Try to sync manually and it fails. Power off and on doesn't help. Battery pull makes it work again for a while, then it quits again.

You know I tried that when I got the DX last year. But honestly Google account backup works soo much better.

Upvote 0
Really no idea if this is a Gb thing - but I juuust upgraded from a Devour (ya, I know) to this and I CAN NOT edit facebook contacts? I could do this in the horribe Devour and liked that I was able to add phone numbers to contacts. I love the fact I can HIDE my FB contacts (could not do that on the Devour) but I would like to be able to EDIT them as well. But this, more than anything bugs me very much.

Upvote 0
I seriously think you should flash to factory and erase all user data....granted that I DO have the extended battery, but I get into the 2nd day dying by 11am-12pm if I don't charge on the first day, and I get a LOT of email, moderate data usage, and at least 15 calls per day.

Something isn't right....

Im in the big battery and with the way I use my phone on froyo used to get 12 hours now doing everything the same 4 hours. Done the factory reset on my original phone didn't fix all the problems got replacement still problems now on another set of replacements .the key board lag, home keys staying on all the time or not working at all,, bluetooth going nuts and a few other things.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones