• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ZTE WARP Watering hole

I um maaaay have told them that I'd return them their case... hopefully they don't reply back x( crap I felt kinda guilty that I got to keep both cases Dx

Scumbag brain.

Aww poop. Well, from the email, it really doesn't seem like they care all that much about it. So maybe you don't need to send it to them? Ugh. I hope they don't say anything else about it.

Aww poop. Well, from the email, it really doesn't seem like they care all that much about it. So maybe you don't need to send it to them? Ugh. I hope they don't say anything else about it.

I hope I don't have to send it back, I'm too lazy to go down the street to the post office and ship it off... but it does seem like they don't care about it. Maybe I could give it to someone else who wants it?

How much was the case? It's possible the return shipping and putting it back into inventory would cost more than just writing it off for them.

Being the master of off topic it is only fitting that I have found my way here...err...been directed here :)

So you know how we were talking about languages in the droid Smith thread? Somebody had said immersion was the key. About 75% of my music is Japanese and 90%of what I watch is subtitled anime... does that count as immersion? I wonder.

So you know how we were talking about languages in the droid Smith thread? Somebody had said immersion was the key. About 75% of my music is Japanese and 90%of what I watch is subtitled anime... does that count as immersion? I wonder.

Not really, I watch Bleach with subs all the damn time and I haven't learned much Japanese except for when Aizen kept yelling bakara I think to Ichigo during their battle, it means impossible right? Or something.... I've gotta be close

I eat at chinese buffets does that mean I'm immersing myself?? :o

The difference is that if I'm not watching some anime or another then there is a really good chance that in listening to music. Between those two sources I probably get exposed to 6 hours minimum Japanese a day and in the case of anime what it means is right in front of my face.

And "bakara" I'm not familiar with. "Baka" is fool, stupid, etc.
"Dakara" is roughly because or "that's why"
You sure bakara is what you heard ?

Though maybe the difference between what I'm doing and true immersion is that I'm not actively trying to speak the language... thus I'm not "practicing" so to speak.

The difference is that if I'm not watching some anime or another then there is a really good chance that in listening to music. Between those two sources I probably get exposed to 6 hours minimum Japanese a day and in the case of anime what it means is right in front of my face.

And "bakara" I'm not familiar with. "Baka" is fool, stupid, etc.
"Dakara" is roughly because or "that's why"
You sure bakara is what you heard ?

I heard something along those lines, maybe I can post a youtube link to a japanese dub of what I heard? And thats alot of japanese, I know English and Spanish but I learned English first (I taught myself as a kid) so now even though Spanish is my native language it just bothers me to speak it even though its spoken around the house all the damn time. I can't stand it for some reason .-.

Though maybe the difference between what I'm doing and true immersion is that I'm not actively trying to speak the language... thus I'm not "practicing" so to speak.

I guess that'd be like getting in a pool but not swimming... immersed in the activity but not really doing anything?

I heard something along those lines, maybe I can post a youtube link to a japanese dub of what I heard? And thats alot of japanese, I know English and Spanish but I learned English first (I taught myself as a kid) so now even though Spanish is my native language it just bothers me to speak it even though its spoken around the house all the damn time. I can't stand it for some reason .-.

I guess that'd be like getting in a pool but not swimming... immersed in the activity but not really doing anything?

Great analogy!

I know my music drives most people nuts... so now I have headphones permanently grafted into my head...

Seriously though especially when I had a good system in my car... rolling down the street in Alabama blasting some j pop gets me some stares lol

I got in to vocaloid stuff about a year ago and almost everyone thinks that's annoying that has heard me listen to it

I personally think Japanese sounds a lot more melodic than English or almost any other language. Since all the words are naturally balanced. The only hard consonant a syllable can end on in Japanese is n which isn't really hard.

Knowing that also makes it easy to read romaji for words you aren't familiar with.

For instance the Japanese "made" is two syllables: mah-day and for the record it means wait.

Sa yo na ra
Yo ro kon de
Ko ko ro
Su ki
Yu me
Ne ko
I nu

Etc. It's really simple to break the words in to syllables because the language is formed like that. Most hiragana characters are single syllable and that makes the language naturally melodic, at least to me. That's why that's what I mostly listen to.

Great analogy!

I know my music drives most people nuts... so now I have headphones permanently grafted into my head...

Seriously though especially when I had a good system in my car... rolling down the street in Alabama blasting some j pop gets me some stares lol

I got in to vocaloid stuff about a year ago and almost everyone thinks that's annoying that has heard me listen to it

I personally think Japanese sounds a lot more melodic than English or almost any other language. Since all the words are naturally balanced. The only hard consonant a syllable can end on in Japanese is n which isn't really hard.

Knowing that also makes it easy to read romaji for words you aren't familiar with.

For instance the Japanese "made" is two syllables: mah-day and for the record it means wait.

Sa yo na ra
Yo ro kon de
Ko ko ro
Su ki
Yu me
Ne ko
I nu

Etc. It's really simple to break the words in to syllables because the language is formed like that. Most hiragana characters are single syllable and that makes the language naturally melodic, at least to me. That's why that's what I mostly listen to.

That really explains why Japanese sounds so cool, all the syllables seem to flow together...
I've never understood why but this makes perfect sense! Like my mind is blown :eek:

That really explains why Japanese sounds so cool, all the syllables seem to flow together...
I've never understood why but this makes perfect sense! Like my mind is blown :eek:

That's also why Japanese people have a lot of trouble with languages like English unless they are taught young.

For instance the Japanese phrase oyasumi nasai which means good night. The Latin alphabet is pretty good at spelling most sounds so even though it's not an English word it's easy for us to pronounce once we know how.

Oh-yah-su-mee nah-sigh

But say a Japanese person wants to say skyscraper. They are gonna form it in their natural syllables and say something like su-ku-i-su-ku-re-pu-ru

Since most English words contain hard consonant and Japanese doesn't. A special case is the hard m in English, often the Japanese will replace it with n. Hamburger, hanbaaga. Also Japanese doesn't differentiate between l and r. So a lot of times this happens when they speak English: lovely becomes rovery.

Some Japanese gets corrupted and shortened in friendly speech. Maybe you've heard the phrase "Nan deska" which is a corrupted "nani desuka" which means "what is this?" But I think nani desuka is a less polite form of that question... that's another thing, different words have different politeness levels. And different gender forms. Watashi and boku are both words for "I" but the former is feminine and the latter masculine.

Anyway time to go to bed. I will look at that clip tomorrow.

I found what you were talking about in that fight. It DEFINITELY sounds like bakara and the subs say impossible.

But even googling it gave me no definitive answer.

Two possibilities. If he said bakara it is a form of bakari which means "just" as in "I just ate a hot dog" but that makes no sense.

Maybe he said bakada which is a derivative of baka. Bakada means "that was stupid" and maybe the translator took some liberties. I haven't listened well enough to make the rest of the words out but here is my guess. He says bakada, then pauses, then finishes his sentence. If the rest of the sentence means "that you did that" then it becomes "that was stupid that you did that" now imagine that being said in a frustrated tone.

Maybe it's more like "this is foolishness, no way did you do that!"

Which makes sense given the translation. Now I'm curious though, I will find this out tomorrow if I have to ask on a Japanese learning site.

Actually I think I got it. He definitely says bakada, I listened a bunch and I think he is meaning it as ridiculous/foolish.

The subs read "impossible... he caught it?"
So

"Foolishness... he caught it?"

Foolishness as in no way should he have been able to do that.

So yes, impossible is a valid translation if we look at it this way.

"Ridiculous! He caught it!

Also I just looked it up... bakageta means ridiculous in Japanese. All these are formed from baka. He may have said that or bakada but the end result is that's what's going on. He's using the word to express his disbelief that Ichigo caught his attack, much like we would use impossible

The scene happens around 10:30 in that clip if anyone wants to try to tell if he said bakada or bakageta as I don't have my headphones on since I'm sitting in bed trying to sleep. End result is the same though!

I've got about a million things I wanna do when my computer gets here... and technically is not my computer, just one I will be able to use when it's not in use.

I've got about a million things I wanna do when my computer gets here... and technically is not my computer, just one I will be able to use when it's not in use.

If I were in that situation, I really wouldn't care whose computer it is, I'd just start devving away Cx
Blah I think I hurt my wrist trying to edit all these xmls in my rom, I ended up doing waaaay more than I thought I would tonight with it...

Back
Top Bottom