• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery discussions, maintaining battery life

The iphone has a cult following--a fanatical defense of the iphone from any criticism, and a craving idolatry of all things Apple.

The Android phones did not have this cult nuttiness, at first. Now it seems that any reasonable criticism is simply not acceptable. Oh well, reasonableness was good while it lasted.

Now, to the point. The lack of a replaceable battery is definitely a shortcoming of this phone. My Evo 4G battery issue was readily solved by a 3500 mah battery that I could swap out, allowing heavy usage and total mobility from early morning to late evening. Not so with the LTE.

HTC is not stupid, so I am hopeful that the next iteration of this fine device will have a replaceable battery.

My LTE is a work phone, as was my 4G--work busy from 7AM to 6PM, then my personal phone from 6PM to midnight. This can only be done if I take advantage of every opportunity to charge it throughout the day. Thus, it is less reliable and less mobile than my old Evo 4G with the 3500 mah battery.

I imagine this will result in an iphone-cult like response. Oh well.

Sorry you're having trouble but that's no reason to march in here and be condescending to everyone. Please don't do that.

If you want to detail your situation and post specifics we may be able to help.

Are you in a fringe area? Are you losing power over a reception issue? Have you had Sprint perform an RF box test to ensure that you don't have faulty radios?

Are you on wifi for any portion of the day? Are you on LTE all day?

How many hours of screen on time are you getting per charge?

Last two times I heard of trouble that bad, the phones were defective, replaced and problem solved.

Can't advise you on anything without more information.

Upvote 0
any good recommends on a wifi management app? don't want something heavy like juice defender. only want one to auto turn on when in range and shut off when not.

thx

For many normal users, you don't need to baby your wifi connection and your drop for wifi scanning won't be noticeable.

The app you're describing is built in.

As shown above in the post on 40 hours, you can go the other way, manage everything and get longer life where needed.

so i downloaded the gsam monitor. here is a screenshot. any thoughts? do i need to snap something else?

all advice is appreciated.

Yes, a few things please.

In the app, menu, more, battery use - built in, you'll get the built-in graph. Tap the graph for an extended view, show us that, it's going to look like this -

uploadfromtaptalk1353589885750.jpg

Then, go back to the previous page, click on screen on time, tell us how long your screen was on.

Back again to GSAM, tap the tool on the lower left that looks like a vacuum cleaner (or tap app usage, same thing), then tap the bar at the top of the next page, view time held awake, show us that.

PS - if you select the graph tool at the bottom of GSAM, turn your phone sideways you'll find three button choices at the top - Temperature, Phone Signal and Others. Others is like the built-in detail graph, and Phone Signal is pretty useful to compare battery drain vs. cell signal.

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
The iphone has a cult following--a fanatical defense of the iphone from any criticism, and a craving idolatry of all things Apple.

The Android phones did not have this cult nuttiness, at first. Now it seems that any reasonable criticism is simply not acceptable. Oh well, reasonableness was good while it lasted.

Now, to the point. The lack of a replaceable battery is definitely a shortcoming of this phone. My Evo 4G battery issue was readily solved by a 3500 mah battery that I could swap out, allowing heavy usage and total mobility from early morning to late evening. Not so with the LTE.

HTC is not stupid, so I am hopeful that the next iteration of this fine device will have a replaceable battery.

My LTE is a work phone, as was my 4G--work busy from 7AM to 6PM, then my personal phone from 6PM to midnight. This can only be done if I take advantage of every opportunity to charge it throughout the day. Thus, it is less reliable and less mobile than my old Evo 4G with the 3500 mah battery.

I imagine this will result in an iphone-cult like response. Oh well.

I will second what EM said about the RF Box test, I was one of the incidences he was referring to. My battery life was horrible and at his recommendation I took my phone to Sprint, not only did it fail the box test, it failed every test they could perform. They promptly handed me a brand new phone and sent me on my way.

I also am a heavy user with my calls being up to 3+ hours a day (used to be more till we got added help), a Pop3 and IMAP email account every 30 minutes, syncing to Gmail constantly plus texting, internet and app usage throughout the day and I can now hit 3-5pm on a heavy day before needing to recharge.

Reactions: PattiCakeUS
Upvote 0
I try to be aware of when my phone is finished charging but sometimes you inevitably forget and leave it on for awhile charging. I had it on with the green light probably showing for a good 2 hours the other day and wondered just how bad that is for the battery. I had the old evo and did this several times, I once handed it to a tech (for another reason) he noticed the battery and told me I left it on too long. I told the guy I probably charged the thing over 300 times and you can't be perfect. How hard is it to make the damn thing shut off when it's done? I don't understand that, it's like the want you to do it on purpose.

Upvote 0
The tech was wrong.

Once fully charged, the entire charging circuit shuts down. That's a mandatory safety feature.

The light hits green at 100% and will remain green until the charging resumes.

That's why it's sometimes below 100% when you take it off of the charger with a green light.

At about 96% (92% on the original Evo) charging begins again.

Leaving your phone on the charger does absolutely no harm.

The tech was quoting a rule for battery technology that hasn't been around in years.

Upvote 0
4424777e-3df1-2db7.jpg

For some reason I can't seem to find anywhere to copy a link to this via the ebay app so I just took a screen shot. What do you guys think? I want to get an external batt for on the go and when I was in best buy these were going for 80 bucks so this is a great deal. The evo 4G lte isn't on the list of "compatible". Devices but the og and 3vo are I'm guessing the ltevo is just too new... Anyway. Seems like a good deal? No?

here is a link to a battery pack
SEIDIO | Innocell Plus Case for HTC EVO 4G LTE

Upvote 0
EarlyMon said:
Back again to GSAM, tap the tool on the lower left that looks like a vacuum cleaner (or tap app usage, same thing), then tap the bar at the top of the next page, view time held awake, show us that.

LOL! I thought that was supposed to be an old fashioned oil can! Couldn't understand why. Never saw the vacuum cleaner. Wow, shoulda figured that out from the "app sucker name...."

Upvote 0
Periodically my HTC EVO LTE becomes warm [to hot] to touch and the battery level goes down FAST. GSam indicator indicates that K-9 Mail is consuming large percentage of the battery; and the only way I can 'cool off' the phone is by rebooting. Any thought as to why and then how to correct this?

Sounds like K-9 is getting stuck, spinning in a loop that it shouldn't be in.

Does it settle down if you use the multitasking feature (recent apps button) and swipe K-9 out?

Upvote 0
What is the 'multitasking feature' and how to 'swipe K-9 out' - is that uninstall??

Your recent apps button, far right at the bottom.

You'll see your running apps as a series of snapshots that you can scroll left-right through.

Find K-9, hold it and sweep up - that will force it to terminate. (not uninstall)

Not a permanent solution but may help determine if it's the culprit.

Upvote 0
Reactions: smitty543
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones