• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incredible Tips and Tricks

Question on pictures received via MMS. The pics are received in a slideshow and I can't figure out how to save them to desktop or stop it from presenting this way. Anyone have a resolution for this, besides d/l handcent. Sorry if been asked already.

I was wondering this too, didn't see a way to save a MMS picture that I received.

Long press the MMS image - it should offer an option to save it to memory.

when I synced my facebook all my facebook friends showed up in my contacts, but I didn't want all of them in my contacts list. If you go to "poople, then menu, then view" you can un-check facebook and they will be removed from your contacts list.

The only way I could figure out to remove my synced Facebook friends from my phone (particularly from the phone dialer) was to remove the Facebook account, then add it again. However, after you enter your username and password, be sure to cancel the sync before it completes. Then you can go into the Facebook setting and uncheck sync contacts, and they won't show up in your dialer.

There must be an easier way to do this, but this finally worked for me.

when in "people" click on menu, view and then uncheck the facebook members and the facebook people will not show up in your contacts list.

Ok... I know someone here said that holding the home key shows open applications... but I could have sworn I read somewhere else that it shows the recently used applications. Is there documentation that says for sure either way?

it shows the last 6 recently used applications; not open applications.

I downloaded Handcent and now get two notifications when a text arrives. And I get them at different times. I'm pretty damn good at playing with settings but I am obviously missing something.

I'll keep trying...

I downloaded Handcent and now get two notifications when a text arrives. And I get them at different times. I'm pretty damn good at playing with settings but I am obviously missing something.

I'll keep trying...

You can turn off notifications for the standard message program by opening messages, pressing menu, and choosing settings. You can turn off notifications there if you want to use Handcent instead. Handcent has similar options in the settings menu within that program. If you need more info, let me know.

You can turn off notifications for the standard message program by opening messages, pressing menu, and choosing settings. You can turn off notifications there if you want to use Handcent instead. Handcent has similar options in the settings menu within that program. If you need more info, let me know.

Thanks. I actually figured out that I could disable the standard messaging service from receiving messages. Handcent still does so all is well.

Quick and easy way to move a widget, app or file from one home screen to another one.

Instead of deleting a widget, app or file from one screen and then adding it to another, long tap the item you want to move to a different screen, then place that item over the top of another widget, app, etc. so that it can't drop into place. Instead the item is held suspended until you place it properly. At this point just swipe to the appropriate screen and your "suspended" item will stay suspended in the forefront. Then just drag the item to an open space on the new screen and presto you have quickly and easily rearranged your home screen.:)

Quicker and Easier: drag the widget to the left or right edge of the screen. The view will automatically switch to the next screen.

Quickest and easiest way of all (at least imo): While you are pressing (continuously long-tapping) the widget, just use the trackball to swipe from page to page; then release the widget when you get to the page you want!

I find it's easy to forget there even is a trackball. But it's very handy at times.

For example, as mentioned above, it's a lot easier to "swipe" between pages or pictures with a light stroke across the optical trackball than by swiping on the screen. And your finger doesn't cover the pictures that way.

Also some Flash websites expect a mouse movement or hover ... which the trackball, being a mouse equivalent... can do. I was on one site where I thought I couldn't choose an item, but then remembered the trackball and was able to click on it that way.

Hi everyone. This is a great forum with very helpful information. I've had many questions answered, but I have one that I need help with.

How can I use a custom alert/ringtone for the alarm? I read the other posts about putting a ringtone and notification folder when my phone is mounted, but I haven't seen anything about how to do this for an alarm.

Do the same thing but save them in a folder called alarms

Anyone know how to turn down, not off, the phone keypad tone? To turn it off you go to menu/settings/sound & display/audible touch tones

It's a system volume setting. I use the slick AudioManager Pro app, and dropped it from 7, to 6, to lower the dial touch volume.

Karl

Ok... I know someone here said that holding the home key shows open applications... but I could have sworn I read somewhere else that it shows the recently used applications. Is there documentation that says for sure either way?

Keith, it's recently-used apps. I don't see it in the users manual, but if you reboot your phone, then, long-push the home button, it says:

"No recent applications."

KarlWS

So, I found this thread about shutting off the sync for some of the HTC apps

http://androidforums.com/support-tr...i-found-fixed-htc-incredible-battery-bug.html

There really is a bug that is causing those apps to continuously run the sync no matter what you may have manually set inside the app during set up. Follow the instructions in the thread and you will get great results.

My battery charge has gone from 6-8 hours a charge to more than 20 hours a charge for the last three days. My usage didn't change at all...it's nice not to feel tethered to the wall charger.

I also noticed my battery usage stats no longer show the android system as the biggest drain (taking about 50% before to right around 20% now).

please help i singed into facebook and it put all my facebook contacts i uncheacked it by view and stuff so i cant see them in my contact box but when i hit call on the home screen all of the facebook contacts are there how do i get them off

please help i singed into facebook and it put all my facebook contacts i uncheacked it by view and stuff so i cant see them in my contact box but when i hit call on the home screen all of the facebook contacts are there how do i get them off

Fix explained a few posts up:

when I synced my facebook all my facebook friends showed up in my contacts, but I didn't want all of them in my contacts list. If you go to "poople, then menu, then view" you can un-check facebook and they will be removed from your contacts list.

When adding/using a 2nd or 3rd party text message program, make sure the standard or not-in-use text message App are REMOVE from any/all home screens so you don't get double notifications.

The Only App Displayed/Using On Any Home Screen Should Be The Text Program Your Currently Using.

Of course make your notifications are properly set also.

I just switched from winmo 6.5 for years to Android. I love it so far but i really miss one thing from winmo..... I want to snooze things diff times. Like snooze something for a hour or a day......and choose that each time. I could do that easy in winmo and said Android dont do it by default. Other wise im loving my new Rooted EVO.

Back
Top Bottom