• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [KERNEL][UPDATE: 05/24/2012] bKernel-v2.3 & bKernel-CM7-v2.3 - 2.6.32.59

Hey, I just found your kernel, wanted to say thanks and keep up the good work. I will flash this kernel later tonight, really like how you're pulling in enhancements from later linux kernels!

UPDATE: Installed without any problems but I can't adjust frequencies in Settings -> CM Settings -> Performance -> CPU Settings. Can the frequency tables be added back there? Shouldn't have to install another app to just adjust the CPU frequencies, it's one of the nice features of CM7. Thanks.

UPDATE2: going back to TheOC kernel, even though the enhancements seem nice, but there's serious battery drain issues even in airplane mode with this kernel, about 1-2%/hr, whereas its < 0.2%/hr on theOC.

Another request I have is to be able to undervolt to 650 & lower (my lucky phone can handle 650 for 122-1024 Mhz, tried it on TheOC kernel). Right now this kernel seems to limit it to 750. With 66 Mhz & lower possible, lower voltage to go along would make sense.

(BUMP)
Going to be updated soon...

Yes right now actually lol!! I added the stock rom 0.24-DEV version and the CM7 0.5 version.

I updated the changelof, and it has isaacs touchscreen driver(I haven't added anymore multitouch inputs) and I made it possible to uv down to 650mV. There are also some other tweaks and stuff in there(not many). But it runs smooth. I also added a few governors as well(minmax, lagfree, scary)

Hey, I just found your kernel, wanted to say thanks and keep up the good work. I will flash this kernel later tonight, really like how you're pulling in enhancements from later linux kernels!

UPDATE: Installed without any problems but I can't adjust frequencies in Settings -> CM Settings -> Performance -> CPU Settings. Can the frequency tables be added back there? Shouldn't have to install another app to just adjust the CPU frequencies, it's one of the nice features of CM7. Thanks.

UPDATE2: going back to TheOC kernel, even though the enhancements seem nice, but there's serious battery drain issues even in airplane mode with this kernel, about 1-2%/hr, whereas its < 0.2%/hr on theOC.

Even with the stock kernel in CM7 I have never been able to change frequencies in the cyanogenmod settings. I don't know why not. I always use setcpu though. As for the battery drain I will have to look into it, are you using the same governor and stuff on both kernels when testing. Maybe this update will help it out somewhat!

TG disabled frequency tables in his stock kernel in CM7. Mantera added it back in theOC, which is probably how CM7 settings reads it. For the battery drain, yes I made sure to use the same settings in both kernels to compare differences. I believe your kernel's extra enhancements (compared to stock & theOC) may be causing wakeups from deep sleep regularly.

I may try the 0.5 version after I've drained this charge on my phone (so far it's going to take a while, 48 hrs off the charger and I still have 86% left :)

TG disabled frequency tables in his stock kernel in CM7. Mantera added it back in theOC, which is probably how CM7 settings reads it. For the battery drain, yes I made sure to use the same settings in both kernels to compare differences. I believe your kernel's extra enhancements (compared to stock &amp; theOC) may be causing wakeups from deep sleep regularly.

I may try the 0.5 version after I've drained this charge on my phone (so far it's going to take a while, 48 hrs off the charger and I still have 86% left :)

Okay I enabled frequency stats in 0.5. Yeah tell me how it goes cause in 0.5 I added some more stuff from manteras kernel. If not it's probably tinyrcu

Okay I enabled frequency stats in 0.5. Yeah tell me how it goes cause in 0.5 I added some more stuff from manteras kernel. If not it's probably tinyrcu

Just tried the 0.5 CM7 kernel and still get major drain in idle. Current Widget shows about 50-80 mA with screen off. About 2-3% in 1 hour. Whereas same settings on theOC kernel is 0 mA and < 1%/hr.

Also the CM7 settings for performance - CPU frequency still shows an empty dialog box so can't set frequencies from there yet. I was able to set 650 mV in this version though.

If you are using setcpu (or other app) to set freqs, you can't set them using CM7. If you uninstall (or disable setcpu or whatever?) You should get access via CM7.

If you are using setcpu (or other app) to set freqs, you can't set them using CM7. If you uninstall (or disable setcpu or whatever?) You should get access via CM7.

I never installed setCPU (or any other app outside of CM7 settings for setting frequencies) on my phone, just have been going without that feature on kernels that didn't support them (stock & bkernel).

Sure you can. The frequencies can show up in both places and you can set them in either place.

@brandon: the only thing that jumps out at me in your config is this; try setting it to y:

# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT_DETAILS is not set

Other than that, i'd say compare your config file to mine and see what's different. I'm pretty sure it's just a config setting.

Sure you can. The frequencies can show up in both places and you can set them in either place.
Hmmm...
I couldn't set freqs in CM7 until I got rid of setcpu, and I got the suggestion from someone else who had the same issue. Oh well.

@brandon: the only thing that jumps out at me in your config is this; try setting it to y:

# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT_DETAILS is not set

Other than that, i'd say compare your config file to mine and see what's different. I'm pretty sure it's just a config setting.

Yeah I believe I enabled frequency state details on both new releases of the kernel. Hows the battery doing on the cm7 0.4 kernel?

Just tried the 0.5 CM7 kernel and still get major drain in idle. Current Widget shows about 50-80 mA with screen off. About 2-3% in 1 hour. Whereas same settings on theOC kernel is 0 mA and < 1%/hr.

Also the CM7 settings for performance - CPU frequency still shows an empty dialog box so can't set frequencies from there yet. I was able to set 650 mV in this version though.

Switched back to 0.4 on CM7 final for this very reason. Major drain that I never had with any other version. With 0.4 I was able to get rid of JD and have same if not better life. Great work on these kernels, and on all your MT work!

I'm not a programmer, but I was wondering. how hard it would be to create an app that would just stress the chipset in a way that would have results that could be checked to a known result? Kinda like prime95, but expanded to include the gpu and any other parts that are messed with by theese kernels.

When I run linpak, it shows "inaccurate result" sometimes, and this can be on the stock vdd. I have run the stress test in setcpu and let it go over night, and got "no errors"

I'm not a programmer, but I was wondering. how hard it would be to create an app that would just stress the chipset in a way that would have results that could be checked to a known result? Kinda like prime95, but expanded to include the gpu and any other parts that are messed with by theese kernels.

When I run linpak, it shows "inaccurate result" sometimes, and this can be on the stock vdd. I have run the stress test in setcpu and let it go over night, and got "no errors"

There's already an app on the market called "Stability Test" that does pretty much all of this.

I've been running current widget and I noticed that it monitors the battery, not the cpu. I may have missunderstood. I would think that it would be hard to notice small changes in power consumption using this method. Personally, my best tool to read current is down to a few mA. Works for finding a draw in a car, not on a phone.

I've been running current widget and I noticed that it monitors the battery, not the cpu. I may have missunderstood. I would think that it would be hard to notice small changes in power consumption using this method. Personally, my best tool to read current is down to a few mA. Works for finding a draw in a car, not on a phone.

We're lucky to even have this on the MT (it's not available in the OV for example). You can easily calculate the CPU component of the draw by subtracting an idle phone with screen on vs a loaded CPU with screen on. I prefer battery draw since that takes into account everything that could draw power. It's how one would measure it with a real multimeter (which is the other method), but a little harder to do (I've heard of using double-sided tape and inserting probes in between the contacts where the battery meets the phone, never got it to work on my OV).

b_randon can you make a simplified version of b_kernel for stock rom with just the Overclock, governors, and schedulers?

Back
Top Bottom