• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LTEVO ROOTING FOR DUMMIES {The Complete Guide}

I just googled moon shine and it looks like it requires Windows or Linux, I only have Macs and a VERY old PC running XP and not connected to the internet. Is there a way to do this with my mac running 10.8.5

I am using a Mac running OSX 10.8.5
ok i may have to defer to earlymon as i do not have a clue about macs.

How does Moonshine work?
well the first step is to unlock the bootloader. follow the htcmethod to get it unlocked.

the second step would be to download the moonshine file and unzip it and run it....but again not sure on macs how to do this or if it will work on a mac.

i think the majority of methods will only work on a pc or linux like you said......you can create a live cd of ubuntu(linux) and try the guide, but my linux is pretty weak.

Mac??

No problem! :)

BEFORE YOU BEGIN -

The process is going to wipe out your apps and data.

You can back up what you need first, with a Mac, using -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup

You'll need to install the desktop bits and follow the detailed instructions - but they're pretty good.

~~~~~~~~~~

Backup complete? Here's what you want to do -

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte-all-things-root/572162-how-get-full-root-mac.html

It's going to tell you to grab a rooted rom.

I recommend -

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte-all-things-root/682858-rom-viper4g-3-0-0-beyond.html

~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally, last I checked on Moonshine, you can boot Linux from a CD on your Mac and get s-off that way.

I'll be glad to help with that. :)

But - if you get everything else done tonight, please refer to the instructions in the OP on making an Ubuntu Linux CD, and I'll have to give help on the final steps tomorrow.

Unless a miracle happens and I get time tonight and you're still going strong.

Don't sweat it though.

Take your time - that's the thing with root - just take it easy, don't panic, ask questions, we got ya covered.

And yes, I'm a Mac user so I can help firsthand. :)

How does Moonshine work?

It works really well, and you don't want to sweat that bit - it's for the optional but recommended s-off - until the end.

By then, most of the really good questions you have now on Moonshine will have vaporized, because you'll have gained the right experiences - a terminal window on a Mac and a terminal window on Linux - more alike than different. ;)

what do you process do you suggest i use for version 3.17.651.4

yeah not sure if moonshine will work with the latest ota......just keep in mind for future reference that you should never accept an ota, if you plan on rooting the phone at some point.

we have awesome devs and they will usually come up with an updated rom that has the updates cooked in.

i think right now all you can do is unlock your phone with HTCdev. also this will limit you with what roms you can flash......at the moment you will not be able to flash aosp roms. you will have to stick with sense roms for now.

Why can't the latest s-on phone flash the kernel separately for AOSP roms?

How did the OTA change that??

well the previous ota introduced the touch panel firmware which made it so that you can't flash aosp roms. i do not think they made a working around for s-on phones because we have s-off already.....unless it changed with the latest ota i doubt that aosp roms will work with it......it has nothing to do with the kernel.....you do have to flash it separately, but it is the touch panel that makes it so that aosp roms will not work unless you get s-off.

First this guide is totally top notch...i am still kinda new at this...but i am learning.....ok so got bootloader unlocked but not s-off....i am 3.17.651.4 and moonshine didnt work. ok so phone rooted all steps completed but i cannot get su to update binary...what am i doing wrong? also cannot get any apps to work "sorry could not acquire root privilieges"

First this guide is totally top notch...i am still kinda new at this...but i am learning.....ok so got bootloader unlocked but not s-off....i am 3.17.651.4 and moonshine didnt work. ok so phone rooted all steps completed but i cannot get su to update binary...what am i doing wrong? also cannot get any apps to work "sorry could not acquire root privilieges"
Yeah this is why you should never accept an ota if you plan to root the phone......with the latest ota, the exploit used for moonshine will not work.....so all you can do is get the phone unlocked. You need to flash the su file found in this guide or flash a custom rom which has su built in......also do not forget to make a nandroid backup as well.

Thanks again This guide Rooted My EVO 4G LTE all I did was press buttons

sharkieROM-LTE v2.5.1 it was the first one i have tried ..i have the newest ota ...(i am kicking my self hard ) and my options are limited with s-on

sharkieROM-LTE v2.5.1 it was the first one i have tried ..i have the newest ota ...(i am kicking my self hard ) and my options are limited with s-on

You can flash viper 4g......it just needs to be a sense based rom. meanbean is also another rom I would checkout as well.......I never heard of sharkier rom before.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2211138 ok really dumb question...how do I know if its a sense based rom?....(seriously i smoked to much tonight)
You can flash viper 4g......it just needs to be a sense based rom. meanbean is also another rom I would checkout as well.......I never heard of sharkier rom before.
damm...sharkier i found on xda....like i said i am new ....you guys rooted my phone all i di was press buttons....i am gonna try viper

That sounds like a good rom -

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2211138

I recommended Viper4G only because you were interested in theming and it's probably the best at that.

Make a nandroid backup of Sharkier and try Viper4G - if you don't like it, restore your backup.

Remember to flash the boot.img separately for a Sharkier restore, it's not stock like Viper4G.

The devs describe their roms - Sharkier is custom Sense with a custom kernel.

Lol........in the op for the rom it will say what it is......it is very important that you read the op before flashing......sometimes there is vital information on how to flash the rom or any troubleshooting fixes posted there.

Here is a list of roms:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte-all-things-root/614073-list-utilities-roms-kernels.html

Checkout the staff picks for suggestions of roms......also read the second post for more information as well.

^ Ninja'd :D

We ought to give Sharkier a spin and add it to the list.

Btw, note the title -

[ROMs][SharkieROM-LTE v2.5.1 S-ON -10/4/13][ Stock 3.17.651.4 Rooted-10/8/13]

Stock (numbers) says it's Sense, based on (numbers) version.

Back
Top Bottom