• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LTEVO ROOTING FOR DUMMIES {The Complete Guide}

It's actually very simple and quick. You just hook your phone up to the computer(after verifying you have all requirements met) and launch the program.

The rest of it is just to cover your butt if it bricks

Ok, so since I have 1.12, you are saying I could just launch lazy panda? But I see that you need to run a program to first achieve s-off..then lazy panda...or am i misreading the guide?

Ok, so since I have 1.12, you are saying I could just launch lazy panda? But I see that you need to run a program to first achieve s-off..then lazy panda...or am i misreading the guide?

so basically to get full root and s-off with hboot 1.12, you need to:
1.gain root access thru either regaw or zedomax
2.run lazy panda

ubuntu is only a precautionary step like rxpert says.

I talked my buddy into getting an LTEvo this weekend and he got lucky and got a 1.12 hboot phone so I got to root another one tonight. It's been just long enough since i did mine that this guide really came in handy for me. :)

One thing I would point out though is the ubuntu commands are a little different when running from a usb/live cd. Here is what I noticed:

cd $HOME/Down<tab-key> wouldn't work. I had to type out cd $HOME/Downloads to get to the directory for some reason

md5sum Feed*gz once again wouldn't work. I took a chance and ran it anyway and got lucky.

tar zxf Feed<tab-key> was also a no go. I had to fill it out here all the way too "tar zxf FeedPanda.tar.gz"

I also had trouble with this one"ls -lFa" but I think I was typing I instead of L here. I found that hitting the old fashioned "dir" gave me the list fine.

sudo ./FeedPanda worked fine and I got s-off the first time this go around. Even though I'm the "pro" in my group of friends I would have been lost again without the guide.

I did the zedomax root again this time to keep it out of the htc database, got s-off in ubuntu, flashed twrp, updated firmware (one step to latest worked fine), flashed Meanrom 4.1 and set everything up perfectly for him. He thanked me but I pointed him to this forum and gave all of the thanks to you guys. He's going to love it.

Thanks again!

I don't know if I would scrub them... For those that know nothing about linux any help is help. Maybe a disclaimer or alternate version "if this doesn't work" or something. I think the linux commands is a big part of the guide wether they worked for m or not.

I don't know if I would scrub them... For those that know nothing about linux any help is help. Maybe a disclaimer or alternate version "if this doesn't work" or something. I think the linux commands is a big part of the guide wether they worked for m or not.

Scrub not meaning erase, but rather, elaborate so as to have no issues. ;)

To thoroughly clean. :)

so basically to get full root and s-off with hboot 1.12, you need to:
1.gain root access thru either regaw or zedomax
2.run lazy panda

ubuntu is only a precautionary step like rxpert says.

ok this is a little more up my alley.

Reading about formatting the SD...do I need to do this? Basically Id pull everything over into my computer, then put back on a working Nandroid? Or must I do this step?

Ok, many didn't have those problems, but you are the second to say that you did.

Good enough for me, I will scrub the Linux commands, thanks for the feedback! :)
Yeah, that's weird. I had no problems with tab completion or wildcards on my live cd. I guess a disclaimer would be useful so people know what you are trying to get them to do and what to do if it doesn't work for them though. I wonder why it wouldn't work for some people though.

I much preferred using Linux rather than dealing with Windows driver issues. Then again, I still remember some Linux so it wasn't all new to me. It makes me want to dust off this old PC and turn it into a Linux box to play on though!:)

Wow, this is an awesome guide! Thanks to everyone who contributed to it.

I've always been completely overwhelmed with all the concepts and terminology with rooting (I had the OGEvo and now the LTEvo), but since all the information is so well organized here, I've decided to take my shot at rooting.

I'm actually sad that I downloaded the latest OTA update -- so I'm at HBoot 1.19. Am I SOL, or will the 1.15 HBoot instructions work for me as well?

Reading about formatting the SD...do I need to do this? Basically Id pull everything over into my computer, then put back on a working Nandroid? Or must I do this step?

I HIGHLY recommend saving all your SD card contents to your PC before running LazyPanda. Trust me.;)

Formatting the card is optional, but again I recommend it. When I did my S-OFF formatting was one of the things I needed to do to actually succeed. After bricking a couple of times, I loaded my first, fresh stock rooted nandroid, then formatted my SD, and it worked like a charm. :)

I've always been completely overwhelmed with all the concepts and terminology with rooting (I had the OGEvo and now the LTEvo), but since all the information is so well organized here, I've decided to take my shot at rooting.

I'm actually sad that I downloaded the latest OTA update -- so I'm at HBoot 1.19. Am I SOL, or will the 1.15 HBoot instructions work for me as well?

I believe the Regaw rooter method has been updated to work on the new OTA. Not 100% about that though. The rooter will work for all builds up to and including 2.13.651.1. Grab your phone and look under Settings / About / Software Version.

The S-OFF guide unfortunately will not work for your hboot. :(

yeah i only backed up my card. no need to format it.

like granite said, you can't get s-off but you still can root it.

you will have to use the hboot 1.15 and newer to get your root on:D

Awesome guys! I actually went through all the instructions and am now running CM10!!!

So excited for this. I love Jelly Bean (and Google Now in particular) on my Nexus 7 and couldn't wait to get it on my phone. I feel so much more comfortable with being able to fully backup my phone now that I can do Nandroids.

The one-click Regaw method did not work for me. It might be something with my .NET framework. The program kept freezing on my computer, and my phone wasn't doing anything. I ended up doing it the manual way through HTC Dev. Not much harder, really and I feel like the extra half hour was a good learning experience.

Now to play around with my new ROM. Thanks again everyone!

Awesome guys! I actually went through all the instructions and am now running CM10!!!

So excited for this. I love Jelly Bean (and Google Now in particular) on my Nexus 7 and couldn't wait to get it on my phone. I feel so much more comfortable with being able to fully backup my phone now that I can do Nandroids.

The one-click Regaw method did not work for me. It might be something with my .NET framework. The program kept freezing on my computer, and my phone wasn't doing anything. I ended up doing it the manual way through HTC Dev. Not much harder, really and I feel like the extra half hour was a good learning experience.

Now to play around with my new ROM. Thanks again everyone!

nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please read this about flashing kernels w/your hboot:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte-all-things-root/606748-how-install-kernels-h-boot-1-15-a.html

sh: 1: .tmp/fastboot: not found
Starting up......
Searching device.....
sh: 1: .tmp/adb: not found
Connect device...
paul@ubuntu:~$

Stubby

I'm getting the same message. I can't even run "./adb-linux devices".

I finally got access to my old winxp laptop and a new sdcard.
I'm booting Ubuntu 12.04 by live USB (the tab key does finish path for me).
I can't get adb to recognize my phone.

I get the feeling LazyPanda is looking for fastboot and adb in tmp folder.
I have the mini sdk downloaded to the Downloads folder.

I think my VM of Ubuntu would have gotten me further than the Live USB. I find it odd that the experience with the same commands can yield such different results.

Update:
My VM is acting up. Cannot run ADB to verify the phone is even connected.
Sadly I think I will have to run LazyPanda on my old windows laptop.

If you -

ls -l

Does it show that it's executable? As in rwxr-xr-x in the listing?

Running 32 bit Linux?

kt@VB:~/Downloads$ ls -l
total 9308
-rw-rw-r-- 1 kt kt 161792 Dec 2 2011 adb.exe
-rw-rw-r-- 1 kt kt 340896 Nov 18 2011 adb-linux
-rw-rw-r-- 1 kt kt 349196 Nov 18 2011 adb-mac
-rw-rw-r-- 1 kt kt 96256 Dec 2 2011 AdbWinApi.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 kt kt 60928 Dec 2 2011 AdbWinUsbApi.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 kt kt 336613 Jul 12 2010 fastboot.exe
-rw-rw-r-- 1 kt kt 127435 Nov 18 2011 fastboot-linux
-rw-rw-r-- 1 kt kt 156592 Nov 18 2011 fastboot-mac
-rw-rw-r-- 1 kt kt 336613 Jul 12 2010 fastboot-windows.exe
-rwxr-xr-x 1 kt kt 1134188 Jun 28 10:43 FeedPanda
-rw-rw-r-- 1 kt kt 923486 Sep 5 23:57 FeedPanda-RELEASE-Jewel-Linux.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 kt kt 1048576 Jun 27 15:10 lp_hboot.img
-rwxrwxr-x 1 kt kt 4429700 Sep 7 18:23 unetbootin-linux-581
kt@VB:~/Downloads$

Update:
Unfortunately I won't be able to fiddle with S-OFF until next week again.

Back
Top Bottom