• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LTEVO ROOTING FOR DUMMIES {The Complete Guide}

Ok so here are some steps that should help people do all of this on Linux. I went through the entire process on my phone on Nov. 8, 2012. I put the following notes together from everything I have read in this thread and some issues I experienced while trying to do this. It should be as simple as following the steps below to fully unlock (S-OFF and root) this phone on Linux.

I initially planned on using Ubuntu 32-bit 12.04 (since I have such a partition lying around on my hard drive), but for some reason the fastboot command would just hang on "waiting for device" when I was trying to unlock the bootloader at htcdev.com. I couldn't explain why this was happening, verified that USB debugging was ON and that fastboot was OFF, tried many times, and couldn't get it to work. Eventually I just restarted my computer and booted up into my Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit partition. The fastboot command worked perfectly fine there. One possible explanation why it might have failed was that I had Sun (Oracle) Java7 installed on Ubuntu 12.04, but still have Java6 installed on my 12.10 partition. Maybe Java7 causes problems? I don't know...I googled the problem and several other people had this issue, including Windows users but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on what the fix is... :confused:

For 64-bit users just be sure that you install the ia32-libs package (covered in step 3 of the original post of this thread but essentially just means you should run the command "sudo apt-get install ia32-libs" from your terminal).

1. Install Java if you don't already have it
You can get Java7 from the webupd8 PPA:

Code:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer

2. Download the Android SDK
Get it at Android SDK | Android Developers

3. Launch the Android utility from the SDK
Open a terminal (CTRL+ALT+T), cd into the Downloads directory (or whatever directory you saved the file in), unpack the tar, and execute the android binary:

Code:
$ cd ~/Downloads
$ tar -xzf android<press tab key>   (NOTE: the tab key should autocomplete the filename for you)
$ cd android-sdk-linux/tools
$ ./android

EDIT on December 5, 2012: Recently it seems that Google is now uploading .zip files for the SDK instead of .tar.gz files. If you happen to get a zip file then simply replace the second command (tar -xzf) with the command unzip without any arguments. An example can be found in step 8 when unzipping the zedomax.zip file.

4. Install the platform tools package
Put a checkmark next the platform tools and click OK to install that 1 package. You can install other stuff if you want it at a later time. Once the installation is done, go ahead and close this program.

5. Configure your path to easily run adb and fastboot
Go into the platform-tools directory and then configure your path so that adb and fastboot are found automatically (without having to type the fully qualified path to them each time you want to use them). Note that this is only applicable for the currently open terminal, so if you wish to want to have the platform-tools directory in your path permanently, then follow the optional step below:

Code:
$ cd ../platform-tools
$ export PATH=$PATH:$PWD

Optional -- Update your PATH variable so that the adb and fastboot commands are always found when you open a new terminal in the future:

Code:
echo "export PATH=\$PATH:$PWD" >> ~/.bashrc

6. Clear google wallet to prevent any issues
This is done by opening the Google Wallet app. Then choose menu > settings > reset Google Wallet.

I tried doing this on mine but I guess my software version was so old that I simply got a message that Google Wallet wasn't enabled on my device and it promptly exited. I therefore moved on to the next step.

7. Unlock the bootloader
Do this via Welcome to HTCdev. Ample instructions are included on their web site so I won't include them here, but adb and fastboot commands should now be in your PATH per step 5 so they should just work.

One tip I would offer is to copy and paste the entire unlock token into gedit. From there you can use CTRL+H and replace all instances of "(bootloader) " with the empty string (meaning that you should not enter anything in the "replace with" field).

8. Flash superuser and busybox
This is basically covered in the "zedomax" method in step 2 of the original post for this thread (just make sure you have USB debugging enabled and your USB connection is set to "charge only"). You really don't need to do much here, just download the zedomax.zip file (attached to this post since the original link doesn't seem to work any longer) and then run the commands below to unzip it and execute the runmelinux.sh script:

Code:
$ cd ~/Downloads
$ unzip zedomax.zip
$ cd zedomax
$ chmod +x *linux*
$ ./runmelinux.sh

9. Flash TWRP recovery
This is also covered in step 2 of the original post of this thread. Essentially, just download the openrecovery-twrp-2.2.1-jewel.img file attached to the original post and then reboot your phone into the bootloader, select fastboot, and run these commands:

Code:
$ cd ~/Downloads
$ fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.2.1-jewel.img

10. Run LazyPanda
This is covered quite thoroughly in step 3 of the original post of this thread. There is really no need to repeat it here.

11. Upgrade to LazyPanda 1.12.2222
This is covered in step 4 of the original post of this thread. Again, no need to repeat it here.

12. Run RegawMOD bootloader customizer
This step is optional and requires a Windows system (if you have one handy). You can use it to customize the banner message in hboot and/or to remove watermark and make it look like phone is still locked.

It turns out that you cannot install the .NET 3.5 framework using wine (older versions could be installed using winetricks) so unfortunately you will need a Windows machine for this to work.

Attachments

I am really confused by lazy panda. First off I never use Ubuntu and I dont have any 32bit windows systems that I could use. So I am using a 32bit ubuntu live cd. I managed to cd to my extracted files location. I copied and pasted the chmod 755 RabiesShot adb fastboot and it didn't appear to do anything. What should it do?

1. Relock your device (with your phone in fastboot):
    • Open cmd from your unzipped DirtyRacun files, type:
    • fastboot oem lock
How do I do this? I never heard of a fastboot mode on my phone?

On a side note I am really hating Ubuntu atm.

I am really confused by lazy panda. First off I never use Ubuntu and I dont have any 32bit windows systems that I could use. So I am using a 32bit ubuntu live cd. I managed to cd to my extracted files location. I copied and pasted the chmod 755 RabiesShot adb fastboot and it didn't appear to do anything. What should it do?After that how would I do the fastboot oem lock command?

Sounds like you're mixing lazypanda and the rabid racun methods.

First step, what is your hboot version?

If 1.12 use lazy panda, if its 1.15 or higher you'll need to usr the racun method. I'm on my phone atm, let me get to a PC and read a little to be sure I've got everything straight in my head.

In the meantime hopefully another of the gurus will be here to advise. If not I'll be back with a little better info. :)

Sounds like you're mixing lazypanda and the rabid racun methods.

First step, what is your hboot version?

If 1.12 use lazy panda, if its 1.15 or higher you'll need to usr the racun method. I'm on my phone atm, let me get to a PC and read a little to be sure I've got everything straight in my head.

In the meantime hopefully another of the gurus will be here to advise. If not I'll be back with a little better info. :)
I meant what ever one Hboot version 1.19 (I have hboot 1.19). I am using the correct method.

chmod 755 RabiesShot adb fastboot That command doesn't appear to do a thing. So, assuming it did what it should I type in the next steps command. fastboot oem lock. All I get is command not found. I also ran it with sudo ./ before it with the same result.

I am really confused by lazy panda. First off I never use Ubuntu and I dont have any 32bit windows systems that I could use. So I am using a 32bit ubuntu live cd. I managed to cd to my extracted files location. I copied and pasted the chmod 755 RabiesShot adb fastboot and it didn't appear to do anything. What should it do?

1. Relock your device (with your phone in fastboot):
    • Open cmd from your unzipped DirtyRacun files, type:
    • fastboot oem lock
How do I do this? I never heard of a fastboot mode on my phone?

On a side note I am really hating Ubuntu atm.
ok you can't skip steps it sounds like you are trying to do dirtyracun. but there are steps before you run the rabbieshot command. do you know how to run a command?

for fastboot:
1.on your phone you need to be in fastboot. so power off then press and hold power+vol down(make sure that fastboot{a different one} is disabled and is found in settings/power/uncheck fastboot. this will take you to the bootloader.
2.select fastboot in the menu option.
3.then on your pc open the command window and type the fastboot oem lock command.

then continue on with the dirty racun instructions.

edit: sorry i just woke up.......LOL you did not skip steps:o

ok you can't skip steps it sounds like you are trying to do dirtyracun. but there are steps before you run the rabbieshot command. do you know how to run a command?

for fastboot:
1.on your phone you need to be in fastboot. so power off then press and hold power+vol down(make sure that fastboot{a different one} is disabled and is found in settings/power/uncheck fastboot. this will take you to the bootloader.
2.select fastboot in the menu option.
3.then on your pc open the command window and type the fastboot oem lock command.

then continue on with the dirty racun instructions.

edit: sorry i just woke up.......LOL you did not skip steps:o

I am in fastboot. I typed in fastboot oem lock and got this message:

The program 'fastboot' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install android-tools-fastboot
You will have to enable the component called 'universe'

I am in fastboot. I typed in fastboot oem lock and got this message:

The program 'fastboot' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install android-tools-fastboot
You will have to enable the component called 'universe'

from their website instructions:
When using Ubuntu we expect that you have a minimum knowledge of how to navigate through terminal. All fastboot commands will need to have sudo ./ prior to the printed command. For example: Step 6: fastboot oem lock would be sudo ./fastboot oem lock in Linux. Any time we say "Open cmd" we expect that you have opened a terminal and navigated to the folder where you have untarred the files.

ok are you opening the command window with the command path pointing to the right folder?
Yes, I have extracted the folder in 3 spots and have set the command line to it all 3 times with the same result.

I just ran the dir command to see what is in the current Directory that I am in. The results:

ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/ubuntu/File Server/EVO LTE Root/RabiesShot_LINUX$ dir
adb dr_boot_115.img dr_boot_119.img fastboot MD5SUMS RabiesShot

Update: I had a buddy of mine help me out. I am no longer getting the command not found message. I am still not sure if it worked though. What is that line supposed to do? Or should I move on to step 7?

Thanks for all the help by the way.

Update: I had a buddy of mine help me out. I am no longer getting the command not found message. I am still not sure if it worked though. What is that line supposed to do? Or should I move on to step 7?

Thanks for all the help by the way.

sorry my knowledge of linux commands is not very extensive. i would try and continue on.

sorry my knowledge of linux commands is not very extensive. i would try and continue on.
Okay, I have tried moving on. Not sure that it is communicating with my phone. I am assuming that the

• fastboot erase cache
    [*]fastboot oem rebootRUU
  • fastboot flash zip [RUU file name]
commands would have some effect on what I see on my phones screen. That is judging off of what happened on my OG EVO when I flashed RUU's using this style.

Okay, I have tried moving on. Not sure that it is communicating with my phone. I am assuming that the

• fastboot erase cache
    [*]fastboot oem rebootRUU
  • fastboot flash zip [RUU file name]
commands would have some effect on what I see on my phones screen. That is judging off of what happened on my OG EVO when I flashed RUU's using this style.

ok so no response? are you using the sudo ./ in front of the commands?

are you running ubuntu 64 bit?

if so try an download the 32bit libs and try with that.

Just saw you're running it from the 32bit live CD.

I'm currently stumped. Might have to shoot EM a line and see if he can shed some light on this one.

sudo shouldn't be required, that simply runs a command as superuser.

Specifying the command path is required, typically the current directory is not part of the known path for security reasons.

In windows where you would say -

fastboot xyz

In linux you would say -

./fastboot xyz

to indicate that fastboot is in the directory that you're in. Same with any adb commands. Known functions such as chmod don't require such treatment.

Best to check if the commands have executable privileges by issuing -

ls -lFa

The permission strings for adb and fastboot ought to be -rwxr-xr-x.

After spending a week looking for a windows 32bit computer and failing to figure out why a 32bit ubuntu wouldn't work. I am wondering why a 64 bit windows 7 Won't work?

After spending a week looking for a windows 32bit computer and failing to figure out why a 32bit ubuntu wouldn't work. I am wondering why a 64 bit windows 7 Won't work?

why did the ubuntu 32 bit did notwork? did you try a live cd? what happened? can you give us more details?

and i only go by what team unlimited says. you can go on the irc channel and ask them if you like.

why did the ubuntu 32 bit did notwork? did you try a live cd? what happened? can you give us more details?

and i only go by what team unlimited says. you can go on the irc channel and ask them if you like.

Could not get it to recognize the existence of my phone. I was using a live CD.

I had no problems with a native Ubuntu installation. It only takes up like 20 GB on your computer. And almost everything Android related goes smoother in Ubuntu. I definitely recommend a native installation.

Back
Top Bottom