• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LTEVO ROOTING FOR DUMMIES {The Complete Guide}

I had no problems with a native Ubuntu installation. It only takes up like 20 GB on your computer. And almost everything Android related goes smoother in Ubuntu. I definitely recommend a native installation.

I have it installed but a 64bit version. Which again leaves me at the question.... Why wouldn't it work on a 64bit OS?

I have it installed but a 64bit version. Which again leaves me at the question.... Why wouldn't it work on a 64bit OS?

that you will have to ask team unlimited. if they say use the 32 bit version then that is what i would use. those guyd are legit and know what tey are talking about. they do have an irc channel, if you would like to pose that question to them.

Please don't take this the wrong way, you'll want to have the ubuntu set up and confirmed to be working. Trust me.

Please put the effort into it, if you get stuck in Qualcomm download mode you'll need ubuntu to recover your phone.
I bricked and unbricked 6 times before LazyPanda took om my phone. Last thing you'll want is a temp brick without ubuntu set up first.

If you have a 64 bit system you can install the 32 bit libs and it'll be all good. Or just run a 32 bit live CD, there's a section in the guide for creating a Live CD. Easy as pie. ;)

If you have any questions, just keep em comming we'll get you through this. :)

well dirtyracun was quick an easy but i didn't know you had to re-activate your phone! so i had to wait till this morning to be able to call and activate (online wasn't working) that part sucked but now im all good!

They won't let us write a guide for it, so I'm glad you were able to get it

Write one up and email it to me. I wont tell a soul. :D ;)

so when i get a chance, i will write up a faq section where it will cover some of the things that are implied in the Team Unlimited IO's guide. hopefully that will clear up some confusion as their guide assumes that you have some basic knowledge of linux which most do not.

also i updated the guide to reflect the newer version of twrp out there.

The Racun has raided my fridge!

I finally got around to going through the s-off process yesterday. The only snag in the process was Ubuntu related because somehow my WiFi card drivers weren't working. I ended up having to just use a wired LAN.

After that, I followed the directions and had no issues whatsoever. It was my first time ever dealing with Linux, so I had to look up basic navigation commands for Terminal: https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/basic-commands/C/files-directories-commands.html

Feels good to be S-off!

The Racun has raided my fridge!

I finally got around to going through the s-off process yesterday. The only snag in the process was Ubuntu related because somehow my WiFi card drivers weren't working. I ended up having to just use a wired LAN.

After that, I followed the directions and had no issues whatsoever. It was my first time ever dealing with Linux, so I had to look up basic navigation commands for Terminal: https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/basic-commands/C/files-directories-commands.html

Feels good to be S-off!

thanx......i always appreciate when members come back and post their experience and what worked for them. very much appreciate the link as well. i added it to my bookmarks. i will see if i can add that into the guide somehow.......might look into that tomorrow.

yea their instructions kinda suck too... luckily i'm partially familiar with linux but if i weren't i'd be screwed

That's kind of where I'm at. I rooted my own phone with lazy panda right after it came out - no problem. Was easy.

but now I've convinced a friend to get his first Evo and his hboot is 1.15. I'm on windows 7 64bit and know zero about linux.

Reading the racun instructions over and over and as ocnbrze says they left a lot out for those who don't know linux.

I don't blame Team Unlimited IO, they were good enough to help in the first place and say right upfront that they assume you know what you're doing but I'd still like to get this thing s-off fro my friend so he can enjoy it as much as I have.

I've burned a live cd and located a usb 2.0 hub. I just need some of the blanks to be filled in in the racun instructions. I can use command prompt so I know how to type instructions and to check the string for errors.

Maybe there's a thread you can point me to to help. It sure would be appreciated.

Perhaps I should try downgrading the hboot instead

ok guys,
so i just realized that lazy panda is no longer supported by team unlimited. should i leave it up or take it down and have the guide focus on dirty racun? i still plan on making a faq sheet about ubuntu commands and things that the team unlimited's guide assumes you know already.

so what do you guys think?

ok guys,
so i just realized that lazy panda is no longer supported by team unlimited. should i leave it up or take it down and have the guide focus on dirty racun? i still plan on making a faq sheet about ubuntu commands and things that the team unlimited's guide assumes you know already.

so what do you guys think?

I'd vote to keep the Lazy Panda method just for the sake of archiving and completeness (assuming that's okay with Team Unlimited). Can't hurt to leave it up for reference, especially since mentions of Lazy Panda is littered throughout the forum.

And an Ubuntu fact sheet sounds like a great idea. Speaking for myself, navigating a foreign OS in Ubuntu proved to have the biggest learning curve.

Well, Cquinn, I am glad you got it. 7 hours though. that is work.

My experience was likewise, I spent all of a day on my vacation trying to get the drivers to work so I could do the htc unlock thing or the regaw method.

Then when I went to do lazypanda, it was almost anticlimactic, it just worked right away.

Anyway, I sure am glad you got it! :)

Speaking of the 'original scarey method', I saw some good guides that went step by step how to do it in windows, including which rom you could use, I was on Fresh myself, and some adb stuff you could do to make sure your phone and pc were playing nicely together.

It really surprised me, after it had gone so well for me, that folks were getting bricked. Then the wait for them to come up with a fix. Interesting times. I don't remember if the sd card had anything to do with it but it seems to me if you were on a stock rom it worked great.

Since Early found that the fix is still there, seems like it should still have it's place here, just my 2 cents... :)

I was really nervous running lp the first time. Xda had brick reported and there was no fix at the time.

Everything worked out OK for me but others had to wait for a fix to be made

I was really nervous running lp the first time. Xda had brick reported and there was no fix at the time.

Everything worked out OK for me but others had to wait for a fix to be made

I was lucky they pulled the files before the unbricker was made. I needed the unbricker...like 6 times. :p

Which btw was pretty easy, just time consuming. ;)

I didn't have enough sense to be nervous about lazypanda that first day out. I was in the middle of it and using the wrong drivers, so while it was complaining, i hot-installed the right ones. lmao

So today - could not get email from HTCdev using regaw's. No big deal, decided to just zedomax it - no problem.

Tossed in an sd card and it was feeding the panda and munching the bamboo - when it hit me - that was my old scrap sd card... wonder if it was any good?

lmao x2, it was at that precise instant that it failed.

Np, rebooted, then it went into activation - worked fine.

Put in a new sd card - all darkness.

Plug into Windows - and it asks me if I want to go and install QHSUSB_DLOAD driver. :D :D :D

PandaFinder, here I come. :)

And fwiw, I still don't believe all this that you can't boot Ubuntu from Mac and do this, so I've made a LiveDVD and I'm about to do that.

To save myself work, I've put the mini-sdk, LazyPanda and PandaFinder on my phone - I'll run SwiFTP and just get them from there.

Well - disk is ready, so here I go... :) ;) :p :D

I didn't have enough sense to be nervous about lazypanda that first day out. I was in the middle of it and using the wrong drivers, so while it was complaining, i hot-installed the right ones. lmao

So today - could not get email from HTCdev using regaw's. No big deal, decided to just zedomax it - no problem.

Tossed in an sd card and it was feeding the panda and munching the bamboo - when it hit me - that was my old scrap sd card... wonder if it was any good?

lmao x2, it was at that precise instant that it failed.

Np, rebooted, then it went into activation - worked fine.

Put in a new sd card - all darkness.

Plug into Windows - and it asks me if I want to go and install QHSUSB_DLOAD driver. :D :D :D

PandaFinder, here I come. :)

And fwiw, I still don't believe all this that you can't boot Ubuntu from Mac and do this, so I've made a LiveDVD and I'm about to do that.

To save myself work, I've put the mini-sdk, LazyPanda and PandaFinder on my phone - I'll run SwiFTP and just get them from there.

Well - disk is ready, so here I go... :) ;) :p :D

Good luck EM, WTH you don't need luck, you're that good. :p

Make sure you get a drink and hit the head prior to starting the unbricker, it takes a hot minute. ;)

Seriously, good luck, let us know how it goes. :)

Well, it went poorly.

On a Mac/Ubuntu, the phone doesn't connect at /dev/sdX - so, I looked inside brickdetect.sh and found it was just doing a dmesg and building the device name with script-fu.

So - I ran dmesg and found "Qualcomm USB modem converter now attached to ttyUSB0"

So, I'm running "sudo PandaFinder -d /dev/ttyUSB0" now

How long will it wait for the device? Seems like it's taking a few minutes.

Based on what you said above, I think it's time to hit the fridge! :D

edit - interesting -

It found device on ttyUSB0 -

It's now waiting for device ttyUSB012 -

But the only ttyUSB I have now is ttyUSB1.

Possible bummer - could be an assumption that if on sda (example) on Win/Ubuntu box, their process would re-connect on sda12.

In that case.... lol - I'll have to break down and run this on different hardware.

Well, it went poorly.

On a Mac/Ubuntu, the phone doesn't connect at /dev/sdX - so, I looked inside brickdetect.sh and found it was just doing a dmesg and building the device name with script-fu.

So - I ran dmesg and found "Qualcomm USB modem converter now attached to ttyUSB0"

So, I'm running "sudo PandaFinder -d /dev/ttyUSB0" now

How long will it wait for the device? Seems like it's taking a few minutes.

Based on what you said above, I think it's time to hit the fridge! :D

When I ran PandaFinder, it had me plug the phone in and run the brick detect sh command, then I followed the on screen prompts to hold the power button for several seconds, then let go, then hold for several seconds then let go, so on and so forth. I think I needed to do that like 10 or 12 times, can't remember anymore.

If it's still waiting for device, you may need to hold the power button for 10 seconds, then let go to get it to connect.

There should be an on screen prompt in the terminal to tell you what to do.

Back
Top Bottom