• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS] [MS500] Freedom Kernel Overclocked **Updated 6/17/15**

I'm having an issue with the notification light on the home button, it keep blinking rainbow colors... not sure if this happened before or after i imstalled the kernel but is anyone else having a problem like this? Its shortening my battery life and i even tried turning it off im settings.

I'm having an issue with the notification light on the home button, it keep blinking rainbow colors... not sure if this happened before or after i imstalled the kernel but is anyone else having a problem like this? Its shortening my battery life and i even tried turning it off im settings.

Nah you've been the only person to have this issue. Go into recovery and do an advanced restore and select to restore "boot" from your backup to remove this kernel. This will restore the kernel from that backup. Of course the backup needs to have been done before you installed this kernel.

Alright. I finally got around to installing SetCPU, and I put it on performance mode and ran some speed tests on performance, and cranked the MHz to the max. It scored:

Native Benchmark
289.6 ms

Floating Point Benchmark:
3936 ms

Integer Bench:
145 ms

I have no idea if that is good or not, but those are the results. Also, I charged the phone fully overnight, woke up at 7:30 and I've used my phone as I normally do. Normally my battery level would probably be somewhere in the low 70's or high 60's by now, but right now it's rocking at 82%, even after the tests.

something ive been wondering.... how is it we get such a high benchmark score under the memory category when the actual mem for this phone sucks. does the score reflect our ext. memory. This may have been covered but being that i'm selective illiterate i probaly missed it lol ;)

something ive been wondering.... how is it we get such a high benchmark score under the memory category when the actual mem for this phone sucks. does the score reflect our ext. memory. This may have been covered but being that i'm selective illiterate i probaly missed it lol ;)

The memory category is for the "Random Access Memory" (RAM) which is actually pretty fast on this phone and even faster with this kernel. ;)

Almost seemed like you were complaining because you were getting higher benchmarks lol. :p

no not complaining at all. i just wanted to make sure it wasnt a false positive. im very happy with the scores. just wasnt sure what the mem category covered.

side note: Xperion Rom Bad A**. Keep up great work. Is the bootloader still locked?

Allows removal of "any" app without bricking

I somehow overlooked this part. I flashed this. Is there a tutorial somewhere about removing apps using this Kernel? Or, maybe a list of which apps are "safe" to remove? i.e. "Root Browser", I don't use and would like to uninstall [safely]?

Kernel Updated

I added TRIM support which is found in android 4.3 and up.

Instuctions:
  1. Just follow the same install instructions listed. That's it!
How it works:
  • TRIM will run automatically every time you reboot your phone. Only takes about 1 second. To confirm trim is working go to the /data directory with your file explorer and look for a file named "TRIM.log". That file will update every time you reboot with the date and time of TRIM-ing.
TRIM technical details

;)

Kernel Updated

Instuctions:
How it works:
  • TRIM will run automatically every time you reboot your phone. Only takes about 1 second. To confirm trim is working go to the /data directory with your file explorer and look for a file named "TRIM.log". That file will update every time you reboot with the date and time.
TRIM technical details

;)

[We have Android version 4.1.2 on the F6]

Do we just flash - Freedom_Kernel_12b_5-16-2014.zip - to get TRIM?

Kernel Updated

Instuctions:
How it works:
  • TRIM will run automatically every time you reboot your phone. Only takes about 1 second. To confirm trim is working go to the /data directory with your file explorer and look for a file named "TRIM.log". That file will update every time you reboot with the date and time.
TRIM technical details

;)

Thanks again for another update. I tried looking for the TRIM.log in /data but couldn't find it. I tried rebooting and flashing again. I'm not sure what to do next I also noticed that trim is a init.d script.

Thanks again for another update. I tried looking for the TRIM.log in /data but couldn't find it. I tried rebooting and flashing again. I'm not sure what to do next I also noticed that trim is a init.d script.

The script is not the actual trim, it's just to trigger trim on every boot. Trim is a binary.

I just reflashed the kernel to make sure and trim is working just fine for me. I don't know if maybe the performance x mod or any SD mod would interfere as I don't have any of that installed.

If you can't get it to work then don't worry about it, you can do without the trim.

Here's what the trim log looks like...

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 97
The script is not the actual trim, it's just to trigger trim on every boot. Trim is a binary.

I just reflashed the kernel to make sure and trim is working just fine for me. I don't know if maybe the performance x mod or any SD mod would interfere as I don't have any of that installed.

If you can't get it to work then don't worry about it, you can do without the trim.

Here's what the trim log looks like...

I got it working!!! For some reason init.d was not working so I used PimpmyRom for universal support. Thanks for your work I really appreciate it!!! And sorry for asking again but I'm curious will you further overclock this kernel. I know you said LG put more restrictions after the 12b update but it would be awesome to get 1.8 Ghz overclock. Thanks again you're awesome!!! :D

I got it working!!! For some reason init.d was not working so I used PimpmyRom for universal support. Thanks for your work I really appreciate it!!! And sorry for asking again but I'm curious will you further overclock this kernel. I know you said LG put more restrictions after the 12b update but it would be awesome to get 1.8 Ghz overclock. Thanks again you're awesome!!! :D

Nice, glad you got it. ;)

Yeah some of those "universal" mods from XDA can break init.d. One of the reasons why I usually stay away from universal mods.

Right now the kernel is stable and I prefer to keep it that way. An extreme 1.8ghz overclock would most likely make the kernel unstable and run through battery very fast.

GT i was being lazy and didn't follow your instructions in backing up..... is there anyway to get back to stock kernel because my notification lights wont go off, thanks

Thanks so much, i'm trying this now.

Edit: It worked, Thank you! Btw is there anyway that this could be fixed or am I doing something wrong? I've tried ths on 2 phones now booth rooted with downgrade method and it keeps doing this.

Hey GT, wanna add a brave-mans mod for 1.8 Ghz max.?

Like in super small letters on the op?.. like

don't use this if you value your phoneage

That would be an enjoyment.

Hey GT, wanna add a brave-mans mod for 1.8 Ghz max.?

Like in super small letters on the op?.. like

don't use this if you value your phoneage

That would be an enjoyment.

Right now the kernel is stable and I prefer to keep it that way. An extreme 1.8ghz overclock would most likely make the kernel unstable and run through battery very fast.

This ^^^

Also to add to that quote, not everyone would be able to run @1.8 which would turn this thread to sh!t with people bootlooping. I choose stability over bragging rights lol.

Hey GameTheory, any way I could take a look at some of your modifications for the kernel source-wise?

I'm new to modifying Android ROMs and kernels, but have a software background.

Currently I'm using the LGD500 (T-Mobile F6)
Would love to take a look into porting this onto the D500.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom