• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Odin (Return phone to Stock/Factory)

Thank you very much I don't know what I did to my phone ( it is rooted and I think I erased something I shouldn't have) but it wouldn't do any thing except text. I was about to buy a new phone but this fixed it to better then it was before

my phone is soft bricked and everytime I use odin it still stays on the samsung screen. I used it on three different comupter, redownloaded files and changed usb ports. If anyone could give me some input on what the problem maybe I would appreciate it.

my phone is soft bricked and everytime I use odin it still stays on the samsung screen. I used it on three different comupter, redownloaded files and changed usb ports. If anyone could give me some input on what the problem maybe I would appreciate it.

Do you have cwm? If so just download a rom and flash it .

If not, are you using ALL the files in the zip? Boot, phone, PDA (and CSC if applicable)?

If so and that still doesn't work, try installing just clockworkmod recovery using the instructions in the cwm thread. (And then flash the rom of your choice)

Press show for instructions

[Hide]
ClockWorkMod v5.0.2.7 for Samsung Prevail SPH-M820

:update something was wrong with the last version installing zips, i fixed it

:update, new version and I added ability to backup /restore kernel (boot)

Only Download ClockWorkMod from the links provided in my post, if you download ClockWorkMod from some other source and brick your phone, you will need to go to the place that provided those files for help.

I would also like to mention that you should not use Rom Manager on the Prevail to try and and flash CWM or kernels, Rom Manager is an excellent program. but our phone is not supported for those functions yet.

If you have problems installing this, try reading the instructions again , and if you need help describe what you have done so far and which step you are getting stuck on.

If you DO NOT already have one of my older versions of ClockWorkMod port on your Prevail you will need to install it with Odin. If you already have a previous version of my ClockWorkMod port on your Prevail use CWM update

Install CWM with Odin
1. Download and unzip CWM5027-SPH-M8200-FOR-ODIN-FIXED2A.zip
2. Download stick.zip and copy stick.zip to SD Card
3. Install the Samsung USB drivers (if you don't already have them)
4. From a powered off phone put phone into Download Mode by holding Volume Down, Camera Button, and Power button until the Yellow Downloading message appears
5. Plug phone into USB port
6. Open Odin (on your computer), you should see a yellow box with a com number
7. Select SPHM820.ops in the OPS box
8. Put a check in One Package
9. Select the CWM5027-SPH-M8200-FOR-ODIN-FIXED2A.TAR file in the One Package box
10. Click Start
11. When Odin says reset and the phone reboots Hold Vol UP, and Power button until you are in CWM DO THIS QUICKLY BEFORE PHONE BOOTS, IF PHONE BOOTS UP ALL THE WAY START BACK AT STEP 4. you do not have to wait for Odin to say pass, that does not work
12. In CWM go into install zip from sdcard (use volume buttons to scroll between options and home button to select)
13. select choose zip from sdcard
14. select stick.zip
15. select Yes - Install stick.zip
16. After it is done installing Press back button
17. Select Reboot System Now

DOWNLOAD CLOCKWORKMOD 5027 FOR ODIN FIXED
http://www.mediafire.com/?dbly2k72eae7cgh

DOWNLOAD STICK.ZIP
http://www.mediafire.com/?wrpr5rz9eceb7rh

If I have helped you, and you like my work, please click on the Thanks Button and give my thread a rating by clicking on the stars above.

If you would like to buy me a beer cofee, you can click on the PayPal button

[/spoiler]

Ps- is it just me or did the latest update for tapatalk break the hide function?

Tried the thing you suggested and still nothing it still stays at the samsung screen. Im running windows 7 which probably doesnt matter.

OK... I have spent all day reading the root for dummy stuff... Along with reading all the posts in all the related threads..

I go to download Odin for my Galaxy Prevail.. And the link is bad!!!!

I am ether dumber then the guide is written for or I just don't get it... How where do I find the right "Odin" to download..??? So I can start things.. I have already backed up the phone...

Odin is included in the images for the prevail. Which image are you looking for?

Well the "Dummy" Guide says:
Step one: Download one of the Odin packages from Odin (Return phone to Stock/Factory) to your computer and make sure to send some thanks that way. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER ODIN PACKAGES FROM ANY OTHER PLACE OR FOR ANY OTHER PHONE That's a good way of breaking things.
The most recent package is FF19 Gingerbread. It is brand new and has been reported to have issues with apps gaining root access. FE16 is also fairly new, and the rooted version seems to work much better, so for now I recommend that. If you get an update notification with FE16, there are ways to bypass it.
As such I believe that FF16 would be the one to use. If there is a better one or so on, I am happy to take the advise on what to use. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Prevail. From BoostMobile, bought in November 2012

The Odin (Return phone to Stock/Factory) thread list the following:
DOWNLOAD FF19 Gingerbread Rooted by Koumajutsu
FF19_ROOTED.zip

DOWNLOAD FF19 Gingerbread Stock Image by Koumajutsu
FF19_STOCK.zip

DOWNLOAD FE16 Gingerbread Rooted Image with CWM5 by Koumajutsu
SPHM820_FE16_ROOT_CWM.zip

DOWNLOAD FE16 Gingerbread Stock Image by Koumajutsu
Free Online Storage - MediaFire
So I am assuming the " DOWNLOAD FE16 Gingerbread Rooted Image with CWM5 by Koumajutsu
SPHM820_FE16_ROOT_CWM.zip" is the one I should go with. How ever that link is bad.

I hope this gives you the information you need in order to help me. I am completely new to this Android world so I do qualify as a Dummy... Or really just someone that has never done any of this... But as I like the phone, but have no need for 90% of the apps on it, and would like to put someones on I do need, I really want to root the phone.

Based on advise from this forum (other thread) I already bought a Sabdisk 32 gig Micro SD card speed 4 to use. It was rated the best deal for this usage.

I thank you and everyone for your kind assistance and patents in helping me.

I hope this gives you the information you need in order to help me. I am completely new to this Android world so I do qualify as a Dummy... Or really just someone that has never done any of this... But as I like the phone, but have no need for 90% of the apps on it, and would like to put someones on I do need, I really want to root the phone.

Based on advise from this forum (other thread) I already bought a Sabdisk 32 gig Micro SD card speed 4 to use. It was rated the best deal for this usage.

I thank you and everyone for your kind assistance and patents in helping me.

Edit- cwhatever posted the correct link

Out of curiosity what are/is the differences between:
FF19 Gingerbread Rooted by Koumajutsu

FF19 Gingerbread Stock Image by Koumajutsu

FE16 Gingerbread Rooted Image with CWM5 by Koumajutsu

FE16 Gingerbread Stock Image by Koumajutsu

FA19 Gingerbread Rooted Image with CWM5 by Koumajutsu

FA19 Gingerbread Stock Image
EJ06 Gingerbread Rooted Image with CWM5 made by Chin Checka

EJ06 Gingerbread Stock Image made by Koumajutsu

EE14 ROOTED VERSION WITH CWM AND HROARKERNEL

EE14 STOCK VERSION

ED13 ROOTED VERSION

ED13 STOCK VERSION

The letters and numbers, FF19, FE16, etc, is the baseband. The ones with CWM mean they have ClockWorkMod Recovery in them. Those are the ones you want. If it says "rooted" that mean the ROM has already been rooted. I think that basically covers your questions.

I recommend going with the FE16 rooted image with CWM. The internet is faster for me and others. It may be the same as FF19 for you. You'll just have to test them and see what works best for you.

OK It is Monday evening and the brain is functioning again so I think I am ready to go. I did a fast re-read etc. I have noticed that I have all the downloads I need for FF19 ( Rooted, CWM, Stock, etc.), but for FF16, I can only find Rooted and Rooted with CWM. But I have not found the Stock download. I have found links to it, bu all have been bad.

I know I am asking for someone to get stuck doing work.. But can a Moderator or someone fix the broken download links at the beginning of this thread... It will stop good folks like me.. posting like this asking for where I can find the needed files..

So I need to find the FF16 stock download.

In the meantime I will try the FF19 as I have all the needed sets for them.

Oh, and as long I am back asking for help.. I give a great big thank you to all for this very valuable thread. It should make my Prevail really usable!

I noticed a "PayPal" Donate button at the beginning of the thread.. Is that still the right way to "really" say thank you by coughing up a few bucks?

The links were removed (presumably by Samsung complaining) if we repost them, they will just get ripped down again.
Do you really need the unrooted version? You could always Odin a previous unrooted version and update. :)

Thank you. If I can put the phone back to "stock" (in case I need to send it in for warranty work) by running anyone of the stock versions then just updating the phone, then.. Nope I do not need version 16.

OK I started this process on Monday Night.. It is now Tuesay Morning. My brain is dead.. But every thing seems to be O phone works.. But I could not figure out or find out hoe to do one thing.

On the instructions for "Installing a Rom and/or kernel with Clockworkmod" it explains the instructions for using your SD card as the internal memory. Well the only part I am completely lost on is where it says "Also make sure that "disable internal data" is checked". I can't find any kind of setting for this. I have played with the phone for hours... Also did a general internet search... I am back to feeling like a dummy. I want to pull all the programs out of the internal memory and run them from the SD card. In fact that is the complete reason for rooting the phone.. Please take pity on my poor warn out brain.. I go to bed now. Start up again later today... Again thanks to all.

I am sure most lily it is something simple and i can't see the forest for the trees so to say...

OK I started this process on Monday Night.. It is now Tuesay Morning. My brain is dead.. But every thing seems to be O phone works.. But I could not figure out or find out hoe to do one thing.

On the instructions for "Installing a Rom and/or kernel with Clockworkmod" it explains the instructions for using your SD card as the internal memory. Well the only part I am completely lost on is where it says "Also make sure that "disable internal data" is checked". I can't find any kind of setting for this. I have played with the phone for hours... Also did a general internet search... I am back to feeling like a dummy. I want to pull all the programs out of the internal memory and run them from the SD card. In fact that is the complete reason for rooting the phone.. Please take pity on my poor warn out brain.. I go to bed now. Start up again later today... Again thanks to all.

I am sure most lily it is something simple and i can't see the forest for the trees so to say...

The disable check box has been removed and isn't needed to do, its done automatically. Some things need to be on the system for it to operate the right way, the system will put things where they need to be. Make sure you are not moving stuff manually to sd card or it will run slow, the kernal tricks the system and uses the sd card as part of the intermnal. If you are moving stuff to sd card with the boxes checked in the settings then your are doing it wrong and it will not right like it is meant to run.

This is the part you missed: :)
IF YOU ARE USING THE NEWEST VERSION OF CTMOD (3.75+) YOU WILL NO LONGER SEE THE OPTION TO DIASBLE INTERNAL DATA. THE UPDATED VERSION OF KOUMAMOD DOES THIS AUTOMAGICALLY :)
:D:p
Is right at the end of the chpt. 3 step 4 (the step that explains how to setup koumamod)

This is the part you missed: :)
IF YOU ARE USING THE NEWEST VERSION OF CTMOD (3.75+) YOU WILL NO LONGER SEE THE OPTION TO DIASBLE INTERNAL DATA. THE UPDATED VERSION OF KOUMAMOD DOES THIS AUTOMAGICALLY :)
:D:p
Is right at the end of the chpt. 3 step 4 (the step that explains how to setup koumamod)

Oh, so you expect me to like read the directions....:D

I figured there was something that I was simply not seeing. After a small nap, I played with the phone some more. Never did see the stuff in the write up about the check box and new version. But could see the phone was using the SD card as internal memory and also that as I downloaded apps, the phone seemed to know where to put them.

As such I came to the most likely conclusion that I missed something and either I did it right without knowing, or it no longer needed to be done.

So I'm glad your response was what I was thinking... Means I'm getting lucky or OMG I'm understanding some of this stuff...

Phone runs so much faster now!

I am just so darn happy I could just :dancing2: I owe you all a Beer/Soda Cup o'Joe... :beer:

If you verify the right link to donate to I will do so (is it the one at the start of this thread).

I will now play with the phone some more. Best way I have found to learn what does what. I do not like some of the "colors", but I am assuming there are lots of them or styles so to say that can be downloaded.

I did turn the phone off and started back up in CWM. I explored the menu options in CWM and did not select anything, and just exited that mode and started the phone. On doing so everything returned to the defaults that CWM seems to set it to.

I do want to back everything up now that have have most of it the way I want it. But am unsure about how to or if I should go into CWM to back up though that...

If I have time maybe I will try it again.. Nothing I can't simply take the time to put back.

Again thank you all. WoW major Major improvement!

Oh, so you expect me to like read the directions....:D

I figured there was something that I was simply not seeing. After a small nap, I played with the phone some more. Never did see the stuff in the write up about the check box and new version. But could see the phone was using the SD card as internal memory and also that as I downloaded apps, the phone seemed to know where to put them.

As such I came to the most likely conclusion that I missed something and either I did it right without knowing, or it no longer needed to be done.

So I'm glad your response was what I was thinking... Means I'm getting lucky or OMG I'm understanding some of this stuff...

Phone runs so much faster now!

I am just so darn happy I could just :dancing2: I owe you all a Beer/Soda Cup o'Joe... :beer:

If you verify the right link to donate to I will do so (is it the one at the start of this thread).

I will now play with the phone some more. Best way I have found to learn what does what. I do not like some of the "colors", but I am assuming there are lots of them or styles so to say that can be downloaded.

I did turn the phone off and started back up in CWM. I explored the menu options in CWM and did not select anything, and just exited that mode and started the phone. On doing so everything returned to the defaults that CWM seems to set it to.

I do want to back everything up now that have have most of it the way I want it. But am unsure about how to or if I should go into CWM to back up though that...

If I have time maybe I will try it again.. Nothing I can't simply take the time to put back.

Again thank you all. WoW major Major improvement!

Best thing to do is make a backup in CWM now, then go on and make more and more adjustments to your setup an as they turn out good make another backup. If they turn out bad just restore the last backup. As things work out for the good just keep backing up and you'll never have to get mad if you mess up.

Back
Top Bottom