• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Odin (Return phone to Stock/Factory)

It has been almost 35 minutes...
1/5 finished
boot.img download
2/5 finished
recovery.img download
3/5 finished
system.rfs download

And now no progress please assist.

Hi,

my advise :

1. Turn off phone
2. Disconnect USB
3. Restart computer
4. Connect turned-off phone to USB
5. Hold Power + Vol- + Camera to get into "Download"
6. Start Odin
7. Select the SPH820.ops, the phone.tar and pda.tar ( nothing else ) and make sure "One Package" is NOT checked !

1st box said failure
2nd completed
However no change on phone.
Redownloaded odin root
started again
<1> -- cannot open the usb serial port. code:2

Pulling hair out.:confused:

3rd attempt underway.
1/5-3/5 finished.
Just past 50 minutes no recent progress.
Serial port issue resolved thank you.:turtle:
Outlook cloud. Have to leave work in 25 minutes.

My rooted Prevail will not download Odin Recovery to SD in phone. Am able to connect to HP PC I-5 Win7 Pro via mass storage USB until download starts at which point phone shuts off and ceases communicating with PC. Numerous attempts, changed USB cords, Reboots, all fail to allow download. Anyone with any ideas or suggestions? Prevail specs as Model SPH-M820-BST, Version 2.3.5, Baseband S:M820.07 A19, Kernel version 2.6.35.14-PREVL-KK-2.5, Build number CT Mod 3.68, Hardware version M820.07. thanks. Ray

My rooted Prevail will not download Odin Recovery to SD in phone. Am able to connect to HP PC I-5 Win7 Pro via mass storage USB until download starts at which point phone shuts off and ceases communicating with PC. Numerous attempts, changed USB cords, Reboots, all fail to allow download. Anyone with any ideas or suggestions? Prevail specs as Model SPH-M820-BST, Version 2.3.5, Baseband S:M820.07 A19, Kernel version 2.6.35.14-PREVL-KK-2.5, Build number CT Mod 3.68, Hardware version M820.07. thanks. Ray

You do not download it to your SD card! you need to read the odin thread and follow the directions on the first page.

I have followed instrustions from page one of this thread and rooted my GF's samsung galaxy prevail with ff19.zip successfully. Thank You for your hard work.

But my problem is with CWM. I ran a back up right after I got it rooted for a safeguard for the "just in case" instances. She downloaded and installed swype (beta) i believe from the swype website and then deleted the system app swype that comes with the stock GB version. And somehow all of a sudden her phone is stuck in boot loop so I go into CWD and try to orestore with the backup i created and it says "Error mounting system" and will not run the restore i tried mounting system through advanced and same error with mounting system. Why is it doing this? And how do I fix it.

I already explained it to you in the cwm thread. To fix it, just flash a ROM, or Odin to stock again.

I want to root my Prevail, so I can get rid of all the factory installed B.S. that I don't use. I have always done the OTA updates that I was notified about. My specs are as follows:

Model Number: SPH-M820-BST
Android Version: 2.3.6
Baseband Version: S:M820.07 x.FF19
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7
Build Number: GINGERBREAD.FF19
Hardware Version: M820.07

Is it possible to root after all the updates? Which "image" that is listed in the very first post of this thread should I use? Will I lose the ability to "Re-Boost" and add minutes/data to my phone? Whats the safest way to root in order to avoid "bricking" my phone?

Thanks in advance!!!

I rooted my girlfriend phone using the ff19.zip and Odin. She didn't kissee the ability to reboost minutes but she always called and did it that way. I like Odin because it was easier for new to underhand the steps and process. I regimens using Odin other people will recommend the alternative. And to avoid bricking read instructions then start rooting following ALL directions

I want to root my Prevail, so I can get rid of all the factory installed B.S. that I don't use. I have always done the OTA updates that I was notified about. My specs are as follows:

Model Number: SPH-M820-BST
Android Version: 2.3.6
Baseband Version: S:M820.07 x.FF19
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7
Build Number: GINGERBREAD.FF19
Hardware Version: M820.07

Is it possible to root after all the updates? Which "image" that is listed in the very first post of this thread should I use? Will I lose the ability to "Re-Boost" and add minutes/data to my phone? Whats the safest way to root in order to avoid "bricking" my phone?

Thanks in advance!!!

Just follow the directions in the OP. You can use the FF19 rooted stock version. No,you will not loose the ability to reBoost your phone. Just dial 611 and follow the prompts for adding money.

For crying out loud. Odin has to be the most reliable way to root a phone that I've ever seen. Not only is it a damn good way to root, even better, it will save your ass if ever you mess up. I can honestly say that Odin has saved my butt on many occasions.

IMO, the people who want to root should go ahead and learn to use Odin. That way they'll know how to use it if they ever end up screwing their phone up.

It also gives you the option to flash different basebands while flashing an up2date image.

..........yup, I second that......... I basically only use TWO things..... ODIN and Kouma's Odin Repacker for a backup......with that, you're 100% safe !!! :)

Edit... Funny, I originally made this post to answer a comment someone made stating this phone needed some good ROMs and kernels (like it doesn't already) . It looks like the jerk came back and removed his post after I replied to his comment. I'm gonna go ahead and leave my reply up in case he needs to be reminded. Lmao.

-----------------------------------
Don't know if you've checked but we DO have some REAL custom kernels and ROMs.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if people aren't happy with the development of this phone then they need to go out and buy a different one. A very SMART thing to do if you are into rooting and flashing custom ROMs is to do a little homework before buying a new phone. If the development doesn't meet the criteria you're looking for then buy a different phone. Simple. :D

Ya gotta remember, this is a Prevail, not a high profile phone like the S3 or N4.

Hi, my girl has a rooted prevail froy ee14 with cwm 4 that I wanted to put a custom rom on that would overclock it, but the rom says ff19. I tried to flash it anyway and it wouldn't, so I download the rom again and still didn't work. I tried the ff19 rooted stock with cwm5 and hroark and out won't flash either.There has been an update that won't update and so I wonder if I should use the ee14 odin above and then be able to put the ff19 on there or does it not work like that?

Hi, my girl has a rooted prevail froy ee14 with cwm 4 that I wanted to put a custom rom on that would overclock it, but the rom says ff19. I tried to flash it anyway and it wouldn't, so I download the rom again and still didn't work. I tried the ff19 rooted stock with cwm5 and hroark and out won't flash either.There has been an update that won't update and so I wonder if I should use the ee14 odin above and then be able to put the ff19 on there or does it not work like that?

You should be able to just use Odin to install ff19.

Are you sure you have the drivers installed?
The phone is in downloading mode?
Have you tried a different cable?
Have you tried a different USB port?
Are you using a USB hub? (If so don't)

At what point is it failing?

What is the error?
Are you using Windows?
What version?

The reason the rom won't boot with the ee14 baseband it the fact that ee14 is froyo and anything ej06 and after is gingerbread

Oh so this isn't cwm flashable? My laptop charger is burnt and can't get new one til I get my tax refund, but I run windows and linux and yes I have the correct drivers. Anyway to do it in cwm?

Back
Top Bottom