• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Droid Eris 2.1 OS coming very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im a hater/troll because I am stating the obvious??
We bought the dog of the Android line and its going to be left behind. Next Thursday its fate will be sealed and you wont have to hear from me again. Just stay here in the Eris section and complain about not getting 2.1 or continue to use the buggy leaks only released to shut you up since there will be NO official release.

Talked with manager of vzw corp stores here yesterday and he pretty much confirmed that Eris will not be updated. With the "Incredible' being released and a couple other phones coming soon after HTC/VZW don't want to waste time with the hassles involved with OTA for the Eris. You can already get it for peanuts with a new contract and soon it will be offered free. So, those with the leaked release ...enjoy and others might consider taking the plunge because that is all you're going to get!

We bought the dog of the Android line and its going to be left behind. Next Thursday its fate will be sealed and you wont have to hear from me again. Just stay here in the Eris section and complain about not getting 2.1 or continue to use the buggy leaks only released to shut you up since there will be NO official release.

So, they developed a leak for the Eris just to "shut up" probably less than 2% of the total Eris users? Because the majority of people out there who own an Eris don't have a clue what "2.1" or "root" means. You think these companies, during a down economic time, were wasting resources on something they never intended to complete to appease a very minute portion of their overall customer base (meaning ALL those who own an Eris that post here or at XDA)?

You are a greater fool than you think if you believe any company would do this. You give yourself way too much credit on how "important" you are to them. Companies do not make major changes to their products just because a very small percentage whine and complain about it. They do it if they can make money, unless it's a recall in some way, shape, or form.

Talked with manager of vzw corp stores here yesterday and he pretty much confirmed that Eris will not be updated. With the "Incredible' being released and a couple other phones coming soon after HTC/VZW don't want to waste time with the hassles involved with OTA for the Eris. You can already get it for peanuts with a new contract and soon it will be offered free. So, those with the leaked release ...enjoy and others might consider taking the plunge because that is all you're going to get!

Since when did Verizon employees at stores become reliable? this is news to me, seems that I have been reading lots and lots of inconsistent info about 2.1 from Verizon store employees, so I would certainly disregard his comments as he too probably knows little to nothing as well. Either way, there is really zero point in pursuing 2.1 talk, as there is 2 options - download the leak (which is great!) or wait for it to be announced on the verizon forums under android devices (Im sure there will be a post similar to the post the Moto Droid recieved) nobody really knows anything anyway until then.

Just my 2cents worth.;)

Although it sounds logical - Incredible released, why bother. Fact is, it sounds more like "Store Clerk" opinon, and that clerk is not considering the business side of it. The business side would say "No 2.1 for Eris = thousands and thousands of Verizon customers leaving = less money = get them dam Eris users 2.1!!!" considering HTC has already released 2.1 to them for the Eris, seems incredibly unlikely that we would not receive it.

I figure I'll give it until the end of June. If I don't have an OTA update by then, I guess I'll install the leak. I'm not having too much of an issue with the 1.5 I have now, so I'd rather wait and see rather than install a leak and then install the OTA a couple weeks or so later.

I don't think Evil Sports is claiming that Verizon didn't develop the 2.1 leaks that we're all using, nor do I think he's saying that Verizon wasn't planning to upgrade the phone to 2.1. I think his point is that they ran into a road block (namely, they can't successfully upgrade the phone OTA without wiping people's data), and they might have decided not to spend another several months of developer resources trying to work around that.

Back on February 17, they attempted an OTA upgrade for a handful of test users. Some lost their contacts, some lost all their data, some lost the Sense UI, and some got bricked. The upgrade those users received was the exact same software version as our leak #1. The files in leak #1 were created February 11, and the files in leak #2 were created March 1. It only took them six days to start testing leak #1 OTA, so why haven't they done the same with leak #2?

Agreed. The Eris was a big mistake. The Eris is so slow you cant even type to this forum because it lags so much.

I think it's a great phone. It's better than any I've had before, and better than an iPhone for my own needs.

I just think it's wise for people to take the opportunity to upgrade their phones manually (with root if possible), because waiting for the official OTA has turned into Waiting for Godot. That doesn't mean the OTA won't come, but man, I'd be really pissed by now if I'd waited patiently for it. I love my Google Navigation. :p

Why do people listen to sales reps at the VZW stores? They are in sales. If they are good at it they are going to do one thing: read you. After they've read you, they are going to do one more thing: try to sell you a product. In any case they are trying to get you to spend the most money possible. That may be by selling you the highest end product, getting you to upgrade from a currently used product, or selling you on the idea of a product's potential.

I have a friend who is not a good salesman, but he went to college for marketing and his uncle is a VZW store manager... so, yeah, he's got a job for now. He's told me that he'll tell people different things about the 2.1 OTA. Sometimes it's coming soon, sometimes it still in testing, sometimes it's been dropped all together. He still has no idea. His statements are based on his feel for the sell he is trying for. Oh, he also does it for shits and giggles, since he sometimes gets bored.
BTW he sold me an Eris telling me the OTA was a month away. After the month passed and I asked about the OTA, his response was, "Oh shit man, I dunno... I just knew I couldn't get you to spend a hundred more dollars on the Moto Droid."
He's a dick, but he's fun at parties.

Why do people listen to sales reps at the VZW stores? They are in sales. If they are good at it they are going to do one thing: read you. After they've read you, they are going to do one more thing: try to sell you a product. In any case they are trying to get you to spend the most money possible. That may be by selling you the highest end product, getting you to upgrade from a currently used product, or selling you on the idea of a product's potential.

I have a friend who is not a good salesman, but he went to college for marketing and his uncle is a VZW store manager... so, yeah, he's got a job for now. He's told me that he'll tell people different things about the 2.1 OTA. Sometimes it's coming soon, sometimes it still in testing, sometimes it's been dropped all together. He still has no idea. His statements are based on his feel for the sell he is trying for. Oh, he also does it for shits and giggles, since he sometimes gets bored.
BTW he sold me an Eris telling me the OTA was a month away. After the month passed and I asked about the OTA, his response was, "Oh shit man, I dunno... I just knew I couldn't get you to spend a hundred more dollars on the Moto Droid."
He's a dick, but he's fun at parties.

It would be nice if those that couldn't figure this out on their own would read your post and then maybe they wouldn't be running to every VZW store they know or emailing people, then posting all their different answers here.

I don't think Evil Sports is claiming that Verizon didn't develop the 2.1 leaks that we're all using, nor do I think he's saying that Verizon wasn't planning to upgrade the phone to 2.1. I think his point is that they ran into a road block (namely, they can't successfully upgrade the phone OTA without wiping people's data), and they might have decided not to spend another several months of developer resources trying to work around that.

Back on February 17, they attempted an OTA upgrade for a handful of test users. Some lost their contacts, some lost all their data, some lost the Sense UI, and some got bricked. The upgrade those users received was the exact same software version as our leak #1. The files in leak #1 were created February 11, and the files in leak #2 were created March 1. It only took them six days to start testing leak #1 OTA, so why haven't they done the same with leak #2?
Watch out bro, your now going to be accused of being a hater, Troll and other childish internet names simply because you are telling the truth.:rolleyes:
Like I said before, On Thursday I will be running an official 2.1 on a phone designed to excel with that platform, not some underpowered phone that I should not have bought.
Watch the prices on this phone fall through the floor the first week of May, Why?? because its a turd and we got hosed buying it not to mention thousands of people just like me will be fleeing from it:eek:

Fayette ! Was at the PTC location a couple of weeks ago and I could have sworn their prices were higher ! :eek:
They probably were! Everything in PTC costs more. They are a good store though...some of the people working there have been there for years.

Watch out bro, your now going to be accused of being a hater, Troll and other childish internet names simply because you are telling the truth.:rolleyes:
Like I said before, On Thursday I will be running an official 2.1 on a phone designed to excel with that platform, not some underpowered phone that I should not have bought.
Watch the prices on this phone fall through the floor the first week of May, Why?? because its a turd and we got hosed buying it not to mention thousands of people just like me will be fleeing from it:eek:

Fleeing from it? Is the thing gonna grow teeth and come after me? Anyway...I just came in here because I thought for sure that you had gotten the 2.1 OTA and was coming in to share the news. :p

I got this email from VZW Customer Service a few days ago.

"Verizon Wireless plans to offer software upgrades on the HTC Droid Eris throughout the life of the device. There will be an operating system upgrade that will be released very soon which provides the additional benefits of Google Maps Navigation (Beta). There is already a non-approved version online which we discourage users from obtaining since this can void your warranty."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom