• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are you using the voice commands?

With Google Music? The "listen to" command works for song, artist, album, playlist, etc. The only snag I hit was when my Playlist was called "Rock" and it ended up returning a bunch of genre results, so had to fix that. Makes me very happy, I mostly listen to music in the car and the voice commands are way easier than scrolling thru everything. I wish we had commands for skipping songs and such too, but the UI is good enough on Google Music compared to Amazon MP3 that's not too big a deal anymore.

I just got my LivingSocial certificate for the VZW deal. Sooooo, just one more thing we're waiting on.

I think it ended... but if the phone is delayed till next year.. its worthless anyways. Has to be used by Dec. 31st or the value becomes $25

Yeah, I bought the deal knowing that if the Nexus was delayed I could use to buy accessories for the LG Revo my husband just got.

Hey guys. I decided to try and jump on the CSR chat bandwagon. I wanted to see if I could get more information if I acted like a normal customer who had no clue about the device. Here is my conversation with a csr today, fwiw.

CSR: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?
Fernando: Hello
Fernando: I am interested in upgrading my line to a new 4G phone, but I'm not satisfied with the phone available.
CSR: Well, hey there.
Fernando: Do you have any information on the Samsung Nexus phone I've been hearing about?
CSR: What is the phone you are not happy with?
Fernando: Yeah the new Razor reminds me of my Droid X and the Rezound is too thick
Fernando: I've searched for pictures online of the Galaxy Nexus and it looks like something I'd definitely be interested in.
CSR: Plus it has a different look (software wise) very nice.
Shawn R: Unfortunately we do not have a release date on the Nexus due to Samsung not having release information on the phone.
Fernando: ah I see. So Verizon doesn't have access to the phone at all at this point?
CSR: That is correct, samsung has not released the production run devices or specs to us yet. However there is a mailing list if you would like to sign up.
Fernando: I see. I guess I'll just wait for more information. Thank you, sir.

I'm giving up for now, folks. Apparently I need an updated sim to get roaming partner coverage at the new house, there is actually coverage I didn't know about. The lack of coverage at the new house was my only reason for switching to Verizon. VZW has just confirmed my prior attitude toward them with the way they handled this launch.

I may still try the GNex on VZW, especially if the coverage near the new place doesn't pan out, but I'm going to be trying first and foremost to keep my service working with a company I really like, T-Mobile.

I'll keep lurking and maybe posting and hanging out in IRC. May the GNex be released soon.

If you're sticking with T-Mobile, you could always import. That way you can still get the GNex.

I wonder if phone manufactures are sorry that Verizon is #1 and they have to play their game. Their at the mercy of the #1 carrier. At least they have other versions of the phone to release other than the LTE.

If my friends and family weren't all on Verizon I would jump ship and go with AT&T for the SG2.

If they do push it back to January I don't think I will wait for it.

Doubt it. Just because there are issues with this one phone, doesn't mean there are across the board. One of the reasons the carriers have as much power as they do in the US is because the manufacturers allow them too. The manufacturers could sell unsubsidised phones at reasonable prices and still make nice profits, cutting out the power of the carriers, but they don't so the carriers get to call the shots. Don't forget we buy our phones from the carriers, and they're the ones who buy the phones from the manufacturers. The carriers are the manufacturers' customers, not the consumers.

I think we need a turnstile to count people as they are leaving this thread and abandoning the Gnex. You know, so we can get an accurate count of how many are left as we close it.

t1.jpg

Off topic question here, but news is pretty slim so I figured i'd sneak it in here...

I jumped ship from Sprint (EVO 4G) to come to Verizon for the GNex. I wanted to test VZW's coverage in my day-to-day use, to see how good it is (it is easily 2-3x better than sprint coverage, and sprint is "allowed" to roam on VZW?)

Anyways, I am used to having to turn 4g on, searching for a WiMax tower, etc etc. How does this 4g LTE work with Verizon? (I'm on a rent-a-rezound plan) I have connection mode set to LTE/CDMA, which I would THINK would autoconnect to LTE where available. VZW.com/coverage shows my house in a coverage zone, but I still have yet to see 4G or LTE or anything in my status bar. I have the LTE Switch app too, if that's needed for anything.

Feel free to flame for being off topic... any answers greatly appreciated ;)

I've been using google music for awhile now and I love it. I'm sure you will too. I love having access to my music..., EVERYWHERE. :) Plus, it lets me make my playlists "available offline" for when I have to drive through the verizonless west virginia corridor. :D

It took me about 9 hours to upload it all, but it was worth the wait.

I think it's great as well. The upload was painful indeed, but as you say, well worth it. As soon as I buy, move, rip, music to my PC it syncs to my phone within a minute. Dig it!

Off topic question here, but news is pretty slim so I figured i'd sneak it in here...

I jumped ship from Sprint (EVO 4G) to come to Verizon for the GNex. I wanted to test VZW's coverage in my day-to-day use, to see how good it is (it is easily 2-3x better than sprint coverage, and sprint is "allowed" to roam on VZW?)

Anyways, I am used to having to turn 4g on, searching for a WiMax tower, etc etc. How does this 4g LTE work with Verizon? (I'm on a rent-a-rezound plan) I have connection mode set to LTE/CDMA, which I would THINK would autoconnect to LTE where available. VZW.com/coverage shows my house in a coverage zone, but I still have yet to see 4G or LTE or anything in my status bar. I have the LTE Switch app too, if that's needed for anything.

Feel free to flame for being off topic... any answers greatly appreciated ;)

Try setting the LTE app to LTE only and see what happens. In my area if I leave it to CDMA/LTE it will go mostly to 3G, but if I put it on LTE it stays on LTE without problems.

So just when I thought this wait couldn't get any worse, and that if it didn't come until Jan I would be fine without it, I find out my buddy just got a GSM one delivered today. I will get to play with it tomorrow (he works in a different location, so I have to wait till he makes a trip over here). Why do I think I will be here for the duration after I see it...

"I've searched for pictures online of the Galaxy Nexus and it looks like something I'd definitely be interested in.
CSR: Plus it has a different look (software wise) very nice.
Shawn R: Unfortunately we do not have a release date on the Nexus due to Samsung not having release information on the phone.
Fernando: ah I see. So Verizon doesn't have access to the phone at all at this point?
CSR: That is correct, samsung has not released the production run devices or specs to us yet. However there is a mailing list if you would like to sign up.
Fernando: I see. I guess I'll just wait for more information. Thank you, sir."

Thanks for the laughs, needed it.

I've already decided that if a release date isn't given this week then I'm waiting for the new phones coming out in 2012. The good thing is AT&T are launching lte, and Chicago supposedly has it already so that's an option. :) So yes... thinking on moving over to at&t. :)

I'll have to somehow keep the headphone jack being on the bottom of the Nexus from driving me crazy. :rolleyes:
Although my list of cons with the Nexus is fairly small, I definitely agree that putting the headphone jack at the bottom was questionable at best.

So just when I thought this wait couldn't get any worse, and that if it didn't come until Jan I would be fine without it, I find out my buddy just got a GSM one delivered today. I will get to play with it tomorrow (he works in a different location, so I have to wait till he makes a trip over here). Why do I think I will be here for the duration after I see it...

Nice! I think you will be here as well :)

Cause you are a smart man

Hey guys. I decided to try and jump on the CSR chat bandwagon. I wanted to see if I could get more information if I acted like a normal customer who had no clue about the device. Here is my conversation with a csr today, fwiw.

I must be an idiot because I can't figure out for the life of me how to contact a CSR via live chat on verizon's websit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom