• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it goes something like this:
1) Google creates ICS
2) Google sends ICS to Samsung to create a phone around it.

2a) Phone is tested and gets out to Europe.
2b) Bugs are located and quickly fixed by google.
2c) Phone works in Europe.

3) Samsung sends the phone to Verizon
3a) Verizon can't figure out the difference between their a$$ and elbow, and breaks the phone and doesn't want to sell it anymore.

I'm pretty sure that's not how it goes, but it sure as hell seems like it.

Obligatory Ferris Bueller's Day Off quote, modified to fit the SGN release.

Um, it's broken. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw the SGN lock up at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Let's take a chill pill. This is not to get anyone upset, but rather an attempt to throw some reality in this thread. Speculation is fine, but when it gets this ridiculous it needs to stop, IMHO.

Where is the fun in that?

The only mania greater than mine for this phone is Hulkamania. And that can never die.

Y'all set yourselves up for the okie-doke if you so chose, but after hearing, 'The Verizon rep I talked to on the phone told me 11/17,' 'I have a very reliable source that told me we'll be getting this Black Friday,' 'My super, super, SUPER SECRET insider just told me we should be getting this on the 27th!,' and 'Pre-orders come out tomorrow! There is no debate here! I talked to someone important and this is it, guys!,' over and over again, and not seeing anything more than surmounting frustrating and disdain for Verizon, one would think we'd stop taking all of this, 'I just spoke to my cousin's dad's brother's half aunt and she said...' nonsense and wait until Verizon removes its head from its rectum and says something official.

At this point, any 'leaked' photos from an email, a spreadsheet...none of that matters. If it ain't Big Red saying, 'Its here!' or if you don't see an email from Verizon announcing its release, the rumors need to be taken as such: rumors. Stop with all of this hardcore, 'I KNOW FOR SURE THIS IS IT BECAUSE MY SISTER'S BOYFRIEND'S NIECE SAID... and thinking just because you spoke to someone who works for Verizon its fact. They are as clueless as we are. Some don't even know the phone exists, others say its being released Q1 2012, we now have a new 12/15 date with a 12/8 (its NEXT rumored date) pre-order. Where does this stop? Then you all get worked up and frustrated over nothing.

Let's take a chill pill. This is not to get anyone upset, but rather an attempt to throw some reality in this thread. Speculation is fine, but when it gets this ridiculous it needs to stop, IMHO.

Some of you will remember when I lost it a while back.......... This is one of the early signs .....

AppsRUs........ I feel you

Neither, we're a mgmt consulting company.

I'm not being very clear. Are you receiving the phone because you are providing management consulting services to Verizon? Or is your firm simply a corporate client of Verizon's that is receiving handsets in the regular course of business (just as my firm does)?

Root around on the interwebz, as I forget where I saw it, but there was an article online last week that suggested suppliers had started shipping screens for the fruitphone 5. I though the article said they were 4 inch screens.

Fruit5 may not boast a bigger screen.

Doesn't fruit4 have a 3.5" screen, thus a 4" one is technically an upgrade? However this is probably smart on their part because a lot of people with smaller hands do not want a phone as big as the razr or rezound or nexus. I have absolutely no desire to own a fruit phone though. I've played around with my girlfriends a couple times and I didn't like it at all, android seems so much more "natural" to me.

Has it already been confirmed that everyone's local best buy is still holding on to the Nexus Prime ads? Are they just going to keep them?

Mine has stacks of the ads at their mobile station area.

I was browsing and was tempted to get the rezound...then I was haunted by the image of the "Prime" ...jerks :rolleyes:

Does anyone one know what the average test size of an audience for a phone release is?

10 people, 100, 1000?

It seems like it must be a fairly small sample size since some seemingly pretty obvious bugs slip through most times and we don't really get a lot of leaked pictures and info of the actual phone.
Especially considering that I would assume people picked as testers are fairly tech savvy/competent. The kind of people who would read websites and be enthusiastic about sharing information if they could/would?

So anyway, why do we think the release was supposedly delayed? What bugs?

1.) Volume bug (although many say this is a GSM problem only)
2.) My Verizon.apk...would make sense because VZW cannot release a phone where that app doesn't work...that would make them look VERY stupid.
3.) LTE battery life problems?

Everyone else's thoughts?

My thoughts:
1) I think the volume bug is a non-issue for the Verizon version.
2) Verizon.apk and backup assistant could very well be having problems, but none of the guys with Verizon test devices has reported this to be true.
3) Don't think there are battery life issues based on what testers have said, but possibly something with the LTE radio. Again, I haven't heard of any of the testers bringing this up as an issue.

According to some of the testers, there seems to have been some bugs and updates to address them, but no one has been specific as to what these bugs were.

Don't buy it for a second. Why would some random person at a single store know this and no other reports from a live VZW rep? I'm not trusting any info at this point unless it's from the horses mouth. That means no twitter crap, no random reports of people talking to CSRs or VZW sales people. The only sources I give the benefit of the doubt to at this point are Hanette and Steven's source. And I take those with a grain of salt because they may be misinformed or also hearing non-concrete information. Nonetheless, I appreciate their information and I hope it continues.

Hm.. HanS thanked this post.. Did I miss his triumphant return or is he just lurking? :p

Come out of hiding HanS... we miss you

Instead of speculating on dates which gets us no where...let's speculate on something else...what do we think were the bugs that supposedly delayed the release?

Also, I get mad that Verizon takes forever to release devices too...however, when I talk to AT&T customers and Sprint customers with how many problems their phones have...I am happy to wait (for the most part).

So anyway, why do we think the release was supposedly delayed? What bugs?

1.) Volume bug (although many say this is a GSM problem only)
2.) My Verizon.apk...would make sense because VZW cannot release a phone where that app doesn't work...that would make them look VERY stupid.
3.) LTE battery life problems?

Everyone else's thoughts?

Yeah, I'm not above quoting myself to try and get the thread onto a topic other than release date...so anyone going to bite?

I'm not being very clear. Are you receiving the phone because you are providing management consulting services to Verizon? Or is your firm simply a corporate client of Verizon's that is receiving handsets in the regular course of business (just as my firm does)?

We've done consulting work for Verizon to the tune of just shy of eight figures.

The phones however, have nothing to do with the work we've done with them. They're a favor.

Yeah, I'm not above quoting myself to try and get the thread onto a topic other than release date...so anyone going to bite?

Don't think it had anything to do with VZW apps. I can't imagine they would need to do MUCH to make it work. MOST apps should already be compatible with ICS.

because none of the testers seemed to verify the myverizon or backupassistant problems, im inclined to believe if there is a problem, it has to be something like an LTE issue or 3g-lte switching issue that is serious enough to actually hold it back

We've done consulting work for Verizon to the tune of just shy of eight figures.

The phones however, have nothing to do with the work we've done with them. They're a favor.

I'll make you a deal... YOU take my $300 and ILL take your LTE Gnex. Sounds like a deal?? OK, GOOD!!

Send me your paypal info... please...

Don't think it had anything to do with VZW apps. I can't imagine they would need to do MUCH to make it work. MOST apps should already be compatible with ICS.

I completely agree...so what's your theory. My theory is that LTE must be the problem since VZW's network is one of the few running it. Just a theory. Could also be that ICS is a bandwidth hog on VZWs network and they're trying to throttle it? It's fun to speculate.

This answered about every question I had remaining. Thought it seemed weird your firm could get a device before they seemed to be available in standard enterprise/corp sales channels.

Ok, I'm really frustrated with VZW at this point. They expect all their customers to do what they want us to do because they say so and we're supposed to be happy about it? Well, if this phone doesn't release by the 15th, I'm jumping ship and telling VZW what they can do with their network and their phones. I plan to order a GNex and going to a GSM carrier no matter what BS offers they throw at me to get me to stay. I'm just sick and tired of being a pawn in their games over a phone that has a ton more people following it then the RAZR or Rezound, period. How can we as people just settle and take this kind of abuse from a corporate bully? I don't know about you guys but I'm not gonna sit around and wait one day after the 15th for another disappointment. I'd be willing to bet that if they lost 50K+ users from their network, it would definitely make a difference to their corporate team at that point. Anyways, I just had to vent a bit. Although this is me venting, I'm jumping ship after the 15th, as after that point this has turned into another Bionic and I was on that boat as well so I know how it feels to sit around and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait. Well, I'm sick of waiting especially when I can get the phone I've been waiting on and get it on another carrier.

Ok, I'm done now, /rant

Reactions: BLD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom