• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official* iPad Thread

1.) No TRUE Multitasking, even with the 4.0 "Upgrade"

2.) No Flash

3.) No replaceable battery - Seriously? After heavy use, and the battery dwindles, what good is this $800 slate?

4.) No swappable memory

5.) You need special $30 adapters to do ANYTHING useful, keyboard, usb, etc.

6.) The onboard memory options are a bit short, especially for that price. - Seriously? The Archos 5 offers 500 GB for 299.99, thats nearly 8 times the memory for LESS than half the cost of the iCant erm mean iPad.

7.) Wifi issues already being reported - Awww I thought Apple was perfect.. NOT!

8.) Too damn big to be useful - Seriously? If I want something that big, I'll use a laptop with full power thank you very much.

9.) EVERYTHING IS RESTRICTED - Yeah restricted, meaning you don't really own your own friggin device. Lame sauce squared man.

10.) It's made by Apple, a company who preys on techno-idiots.

11.) There are many, many better options out there, for a better price, with more functionality, better hardware, etc.

12.) It's tied to AT&Fail for 3G Service. Auto-Fail.

What is TRUE multi tasking anyways? I can be on ebuddy while listening to my itunes and browsing in Safari. Sounds like multi tasking to me :rolleyes:

Most people buy Apple for the same reason people pay 3 times what an Accord costs to buy a BMW or Mercedes. Quality, service and support. All 3 are top notch.

Yeah, it's such an awkward size. The multitasking rubbish kills it. The iPad is too close to the iPhone in terms of the bridge between phone and laptop. I'd rather get the new HP Slate or whatever it's called when it comes out.

Imagine how tragic you'd look walking through town with your little man bag carrying an iPad.

keep the personal comments out of the discussion guys and gals. that is a quick way to get the thread closed and other penalties.

Who are YOU?

And I don't remember my original post word for word, but how is telling someone this isn't an apple forum a personal attack???

(Haven't see you, ever.)

Yeah, it's such an awkward size. The multitasking rubbish kills it. The iPad is too close to the iPhone in terms of the bridge between phone and laptop. I'd rather get the new HP Slate or whatever it's called when it comes out.

Imagine how tragic you'd look walking through town with your little man bag carrying an iPad.

LMAO!!!

The HP Slate is BIGGER than the iPad genius. You Apple haters really make me laugh :rolleyes:

Number 5 isn't strictly speaking true. It has keyboard support via bluetooth (but not mouse. Its Apple after all).

Everything else is spot on.

I was making the point about the HP Slate not sucking at being a tablet. But yeah, I understand your point. However, it's big enough (just) to warrant a bag.

Oh no, I've expressed an ambivalent viewpoint. What are you going to do now, Apple fanboy?

Excellent article on Macworld no less about why the iPad isn't the greatest device ever made.

Why the iPad isn't for me | Tablets | iPhone Central | Macworld

ooooohhh, my neck hurts. ooooohhh, my back hurts and my fingers hurt from holding a whole 1.5 pound piece of glass. Is this guy some 80 year old wussy? :rolleyes: Be a man and figure out how to place the thing on a desk or somewhere comfortable for you to work with it. This guy is a complete idiot. The iPad is not pretending to be a laptop replacement, anyone who buys one expecting that is plainly stupid. It is not meant to be some work related device either, its all about fun and functionality.

What it IS useful for (besides its ultimate use of something to do while on the toilet) is taking down to the coffee shop or bookstore for an hour to surf the net, read the USA today, listen to some music, watch some videos, play a few games and IM some friends...without having to lug around a laptop. I go to Borders alot. When I would bring my laptop with me, I would NEED to find a table to set my laptop on. Although my Macbook is small and light, its not ideal to really sit on your lap. With my iPad, doesnt matter. I can sit in one of the comfy leather chairs and hold it like a book and do what I want. That experience is unmatched with any laptop or mobile computing device.

ooooohhh, my neck hurts. ooooohhh, my back hurts and my fingers hurt from holding a whole 1.5 pound piece of glass. Is this guy some 80 year old wussy? :rolleyes: Be a man and figure out how to place the thing on a desk or somewhere comfortable for you to work with it. This guy is a complete idiot. The iPad is not pretending to be a laptop replacement, anyone who buys one expecting that is plainly stupid. It is not meant to be some work related device either, its all about fun and functionality.

What it IS useful for (besides its ultimate use of something to do while on the toilet) is taking down to the coffee shop or bookstore for an hour to surf the net, read the USA today, listen to some music, watch some videos, play a few games and IM some friends...without having to lug around a laptop. I go to Borders alot. When I would bring my laptop with me, I would NEED to find a table to set my laptop on. Although my Macbook is small and light, its not ideal to really sit on your lap. With my iPad, doesnt matter. I can sit in one of the comfy leather chairs and hold it like a book and do what I want. That experience is unmatched with any laptop or mobile computing device.

funny, my Droid does all that, and does it better than your oversized ipod touch.

Sure, if you are using the trackpad. Try setting up an external mouse and mousepad and using it on your lap...

So you have a mouse and keyboard hooked up to your iPad? And you managed to hold it all and still be productive? Weird.

The keyboard difference between slate/other tablets and ipad... You can stick pretty much any standard usb keyboard and it should work, dont know as its not out yet, but yeah, i dont see any reason why it wouldn't

iPad on the other hand, your paying an extra $50 or so to use a keyboard :rolleyes:

funny, my Droid does all that, and does it better than your oversized ipod touch.

LMAO! This isnt even worth playing along with, but ok, I have a few extra minutes...

Does your Droid have an amazingly sharp and crisp 9.7 inch LED backlit 1024x768 HD display with a 178 degree viewing angle?

Does your Droid have a 1Ghz processor?

Can your Droid download and playback HD movies from itunes?

Does your Droid have 10 hours of battery life with heavy useage?

Can your Droid store 64GBs worth of apps on it?

Can you connect your Droid to a TV to watch all of the content loaded on it?

Ok, I will stop there. Just the sheer size and quality of the iPads display will make anything on your tiny phone screen with less than half the resolution look sub par in comparison.

FYI - 1024 x 768 is NOT HD...it's a 4:3 aspect ratio screen. You can only watched letterboxed, scaled down HD video so it's not HD.

LMAO! This isnt even worth playing along with, but ok, I have a few extra minutes...

Does your Droid have an amazingly sharp and crisp 9.7 inch LED backlit 1024x768 HD display with a 178 degree viewing angle?

Does your Droid have a 1Ghz processor?

Can your Droid download and playback HD movies from itunes?

Does your Droid have 10 hours of battery life with heavy useage?

Can your Droid store 64GBs worth of apps on it?

Can you connect your Droid to a TV to watch all of the content loaded on it?

Ok, I will stop there. Just the sheer size and quality of the iPads display will make anything on your tiny phone screen with less than half the resolution look sub par in comparison.

LOL. Seriously man? Droid isn't a comparable device, but hey lets compare the Notion Ink Adam eh?

notion_ink_adam_specs.gif

So lets break this down.

Screen? Goes to Adam Ink hands down. Better resolution, better format, Pixel Qi

OS? Again, goes to Adam Ink. Choice of three different OS's, all better than the locked down crippleware known as OSX mobile

CPU? Well what do you ya know, Adam Ink pulls out ahead again. DUAL CORE
& A graphics chip? Apple what?

Video Out? Surprise? No, not really, Adam Ink again, 1080p HD

Camera? Well, iPad doesn't have one so.....

Battery? Adam Ink, again.

Wieght? Ok iPad is .2 Lbs lighter...But when you have all those goodies, well, it's worth it.

Multitasking? Goes to Adam Ink, even after the 4.0 wannabe multitasking on iPad

Flash Support? Adam Ink, again. Man this is tense!

External storage? iPad? Nope. Adam Ink? Yep.

Price? Ink is quite a bit cheaper.

So hmmm tough choice here... really...

Not to mention, the upcoming EVO4G, even smokes the iPad for spec, functionality, and everything else.

And there are a number of tablets that are also much much better options than iTampon. But hey, it's Apple, so you had to have it? Right?

*Class Dismissed*

FYI - 1024 x 768 is NOT HD...it's a 4:3 aspect ratio screen. You can only watched letterboxed, scaled down HD video so it's not HD.

Technically yes but realistically no. When you buy an HD movie from iTunes, you also get the standard version of it as well. Put both on my iPad just to see how it looked and there is a definite difference in quality between the two. The HD version is a lot sharper and more clear. You should probably at least go use one for yourself before bashing it :)

...and when that notion ink Adam sells a whopping 10k units because no one aside from major tech nerds even knows it exists, how many os upgrades, accessories and custom apps will you ever see? That thing will be a nice paperweight 6 months after it's release :) Bash apple all you want, but they are the 3rd largest company in the US and their marketing is second to none.

Back
Top Bottom