• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official* iPad Thread

Another idiotic post...

You know how many people on this very forum have voided their warranty to root and install custom ROMs on their Android phones? Why? The same reason people jailbreak an iPhone....better performance. So how is this different genius? :rolleyes:

I have never jailbroken my Droid. Its already fast. Beat the iPhone in numerous head to head tests.

You mean this POS? Notion Ink Adam hands-on - SlashGear

I love how it freezes everytime they touch it at all. Its supposed to have a dual core processor? Yea, looks like a winner alright! :rolleyes:

So you are saying the iPad never had those problems? Thats just software related issues, they have a couple months to work that out. That stuff is to be expected.

If the price is right, I think I will get one of these...:) (Notion Ink)

I have never jailbroken my Droid. Its already fast. Beat the iPhone in numerous head to head tests.

So you are saying the iPad never had those problems? Thats just software related issues, they have a couple months to work that out. That stuff is to be expected.

If the price is right, I think I will get one of these...:) (Notion Ink)

Cool, have fun with it. The timing is all wrong for that though. Android is an awful mess right now. A dozen phones all running different versions. 2.1 out for months but only available for ONE phone currently. By the time everyone actually gets their 2.1 update, 2.5 will be out meaning more people will get pissed and look for another OS. Google needs to get everything with Android streamlined and running smoothly, even the Market is a clusterf**k.

I know all of us here think Android is great, but its still a VERY small niche. Pretty much none of my friends have any clue what it is. Even people who know what a Nexus One or Droid is dont know what Android is. Unbutu? Please. Only Linux nerds know what that is and thats like 2% of the population. So this thing is going to be based off 2 platforms most people have never heard of and are not familiar with. You honestly think its specs are going to sell it alone? You are dreaming. People will not spend $350-$800 on a device with an OS thats like a foreign language to them. Hell, most people are afraid to switch to MAC from a PC.

You cannot underestimate the power of proper marketing, Apple is one of the best at it. The only other tablet with a realistic shot of taking on the iPad would be the HP slate because that runs Windows and is made by HP, 2 things everyone knows and are familiar with. I can pretty much guarantee you that Notion Adam wont even make it 6 months before its pretty much obsolete, but go ahead and buy one anyways :)

Cool, have fun with it. The timing is all wrong for that though. Android is an awful mess right now. A dozen phones all running different versions. 2.1 out for months but only available for ONE phone currently. By the time everyone actually gets their 2.1 update, 2.5 will be out meaning more people will get pissed and look for another OS. Google needs to get everything with Android streamlined and running smoothly, even the Market is a clusterf**k.

I know all of us here think Android is great, but its still a VERY small niche. Pretty much none of my friends have any clue what it is. Even people who know what a Nexus One or Droid is dont know what Android is. Unbutu? Please. Only Linux nerds know what that is and thats like 2% of the population. So this thing is going to be based off 2 platforms most people have never heard of and are not familiar with. You honestly think its specs are going to sell it alone? You are dreaming. People will not spend $350-$800 on a device with an OS thats like a foreign language to them. Hell, most people are afraid to switch to MAC from a PC.

You cannot underestimate the power of proper marketing, Apple is one of the best at it. The only other tablet with a realistic shot of taking on the iPad would be the HP slate because that runs Windows and is made by HP, 2 things everyone knows and are familiar with. I can pretty much guarantee you that Notion Adam wont even make it 6 months before its pretty much obsolete, but go ahead and buy one anyways :)

Watch out buddy, you're wandering in dangerous territory. There is more than 1 phone running 2.1.

I agree about marketing, and no one can deny Apple do an amazing job. People are hearing about android, and liking it. For instance in the UK we who knew about hte HTC Hero felt part of a secret group, not many people had heard of our phone, but when they saw it they wanted to know more.

Now with the Desire, people are really starting to take notice, its had a massive demand, much higher than expected. However, people still are unsure exactly what android is. Someone needs to do some serious marketing, having the best device isn't always good enough.

perhaps you should watch my you vid of my moment running 2.1 :rolleyes: and if you watch the net trends, especially engadget, more and more people arewarming up to android. And oh knoes, 2.1 has been out for a whole couple of months! Android armageddon! Not.... so everyone should have windows 7 already because it too has been out for a couple of months.

perhaps you should watch my you vid of my moment running 2.1 :rolleyes: and if you watch the net trends, especially engadget, more and more people arewarming up to android. And oh knoes, 2.1 has been out for a whole couple of months! Android armageddon! Not.... so everyone should have windows 7 already because it too has been out for a couple of months.

You really don't see the difference here do you? The HUGE difference is I (or any other user) CAN upgrade to Windows 7 as soon as it's released. We don't have to wait 3 months for whoever built our computer or whoever supplies the software to finally get around to letting us upgrade to it. Huge difference :rolleyes:

You really don't see the difference here do you? The HUGE difference is I (or any other user) CAN upgrade to Windows 7 as soon as it's released. We don't have to wait 3 months for whoever built our computer or whoever supplies the software to finally get around to letting us upgrade to it. Huge difference :rolleyes:

Yeah but its not a free upgrade. Big difference. Guess your not seeing THAT.

Yeah but its not a free upgrade. Big difference. Guess your not seeing THAT.

Or the fact that hardware limititations are still present with iPhones/iTouches. For instance, my 2nd gen iTouch cant fake-multitask. The reason the updates are different for android is because the older phones also have hardware limitations. If I were google, I would leave older phones with 1.5 like they have, because if they "Upgrade" to 2.1 without any added features, they would complain more... idk how to describe exactly what I am thinking, but you can get the jist of it.

Or the fact that hardware limititations are still present with iPhones/iTouches. For instance, my 2nd gen iTouch cant fake-multitask. The reason the updates are different for android is because the older phones also have hardware limitations. If I were google, I would leave older phones with 1.5 like they have, because if they "Upgrade" to 2.1 without any added features, they would complain more... idk how to describe exactly what I am thinking, but you can get the jist of it.

Understandable. Everything released pre-mid-year 2009 should be phased out completely.

Understandable. Everything released pre-mid-year 2009 should be phased out completely.

With cell contracts generally 2-years for decent handset subsidies, the manufacturers should pledge full OS (as best they can, obviously hardware may limit certain advances) for at least that length.

If you do a little digging, you would know Android and its users is not a small niche. In fact, Android is being adopted as fast as the original iphone was when it launched and projected to be on pace of the iphone 3G. Having big carriers like Verizon pump out Droids to their customers helps spread the word out. So even if your Apple buddies haven't heard of Android, they soon will. I don't know why you are hating on Ubuntu and people who use it (nerds and 2% of population use it?!). It wasnt too long ago that Apple only had 2% of the market and their market was people who needed to use macs for design purposes or people too dumb to use a PC. Also, Apple's OS is a modified unix system same as Ubuntu so why all the hate?! I agree with you that Apple has good service and marketing. I disagree on it's quality. Apple products have the same failure rate as with all electronics. You don't hear horror stories because they have good service and replace their defective sh|t quick.

^^I would LOVE to use Ubuntu, but my computer drivers are so complicated to install with it :(

Installing it on my netbook when I get it though, with windows running in virtual box :)

...and when that notion ink Adam sells a whopping 10k units because no one aside from major tech nerds even knows it exists, how many os upgrades, accessories and custom apps will you ever see? That thing will be a nice paperweight 6 months after it's release :) Bash apple all you want, but they are the 3rd largest company in the US and their marketing is second to none.

I agree. Apple is clearly one of the most innovative companies existing today. When Apple brings a product to market, it over-delivers on value and functionality. Owning any Apple device is like buying a Lexus instead of a Chevy. Even though I HATE AT&T, I am going to wait for the 3G to come out and then decide between the two (3G or wifi only).

And by the way, I also have a Droid, which I do love, but it is not as slick and error-free as what an equivalent Apple product would be. Apple needs to add versatility to iPhone, such as removeable/replaceable battery, physical keyboard and make desktops more customizable like Macs are. And most of all, they need hybrid model that will work on Verizon. I would go to iPhone if they would do this, as I think the Apple UI is far superior.

I agree. Apple is clearly one of the most innovative companies existing today. When Apple brings a product to market, it over-delivers on value and functionality. Owning any Apple device is like buying a Lexus instead of a Chevy. Even though I HATE AT&T, I am going to wait for the 3G to come out and then decide between the two (3G or wifi only).

And by the way, I also have a Droid, which I do love, but it is not as slick and error-free as what an equivalent Apple product would be. Apple needs to add versatility to iPhone, such as removeable/replaceable battery, physical keyboard and make desktops more customizable like Macs are. And most of all, they need hybrid model that will work on Verizon. I would go to iPhone if they would do this, as I think the Apple UI is far superior.

If apple is so innovative, please list just one "innovation" apple has come up with regarding the iphone.

okay...i read all the way through this post and this just stuck with me, so i have to comment....

(please be aware, this might seem extremely picky to some)

High-Definition is ONLY defined by resolution. not aspect ratio, not screen size, etc. when comparing any product to another, you cant say something is high definition because it carries a certain aspect ratio, while something else is not because it doesn't carry a certain aspect ratio.

aspect ratios are a by-product of the amount of lines of resolution a picture needs to be considered to be HD.

Food for thought: if HD were defined by aspect ratio, how come when a movie is filmed in 2.35:1, it still shows up letterbox on your 16:9 television? the television market screwed up HD along time ago.

dont mean to seem like I am off topic, but maybe this will help someone decide for or against a product for the right reasons and not the wrong one.

okay...i read all the way through this post and this just stuck with me, so i have to comment....

High-Definition is ONLY defined by resolution. not aspect ratio, not screen size, etc. when comparing any product to another, you cant say something is high definition because it carries a certain aspect ratio, while something else is not because it doesn't carry a certain aspect ratio.

aspect ratios are a by-product of the amount of lines of resolution a picture needs to be considered to be HD.

Food for thought: if HD were defined by aspect ratio, how come when a movie is filmed in 2.35:1, it still shows up letterbox on your 16:9 television? the television market screwed up HD along time ago.

dont mean to seem like I am off topic, but maybe this will help someone decide for or against a product for the right reasons and not the wrong one.

Understood, but when talking about HD 16:9 and 16:10 are the accepted normal aspect ratios. Either way, the resolution the iPad sports is NOT HD anyway you look at it.

Understood, but when talking about HD 16:9 and 16:10 are the accepted normal aspect ratios. Either way, the resolution the iPad sports is NOT HD anyway you look at it.

never said it was. you are right though, the iPad is not HD. it is missing a a little over two hundred lines of resolution, causing it to fall a little short of meeting HD requirements, however...

when the iPad converts a HD video for playback to match the iPad's screen real estate, you would never be able to tell the difference. you can play around a lot with high resolution images and your brain is gonna see them as crystal clear because based on the distance you are from the image and the number of pixels squeezed into said image, you can only break down images so far with your eyes and thus they will look HD to you.

for that matter, there are a lot of small televisions and monitors out there that claim they are "HD" when in fact they are not, but due to their size and how far away you will be sitting from them, they get away with it.

Insightful.

This is just the tip of the iceberg as far as interactive books and apps goes, will be awesome to see how it progresses. The new dinosaur and space apps with the moving dinosaurs, shooting stars, rotating planets etc...coming this summer look pretty unreal. iPad haters need not watch :)

YouTube - Alice for the iPad

Well, looks like Flash will be taken care of now and the iPad has only been out a week :)

RipCode : Company Overview

I wouldn't say solved or taken care of at all.

1.) Its not out yet

2.) Companies are ging to have to buy it, and install it, each individually.

Not to mention, adobe can quickly switch around the flash encoding, to break their fix. And since this will really only benefit apple, adobe might do just that..

Also, this is only good for video feeds, not interactivity.

Back
Top Bottom