• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rant Thread - What really grinds your gears?

It looks like I've ran everyone off... it's 1-sh in the morning, and I'm snuggling with my better half. We did our street music thing yesterday afternoon (12:30 - 3:30) in downtown Raleigh, NC, and though I played and sang well, it wasn't as productive as we would've liked... there was a man shouting across the street about our (the United States) involvement in Syria and Iraq, and how it could turn into World War III. That wasn't a good backdrop for a busking musician. However, we made enough money to make it worth the trip, and here I am sharing it all with this forum. Enough said... I've got snuggling to do. Be beautiful, everyone - in the words of Carole King, "...as you feel." LW

Sent from my @#*

I hate this about Google Chrome. When I sign up for a new website I create a unique password from anything I've ever used before. Then I get the message "would you like Google to remember this password?"

Of course I say yes in hope that Google will actually do it.
I get on another device, still using Google Chrome, signed into chrome on both devices, and Google doesn't remember the password. And neither do I.

I hate this about Google Chrome. When I sign up for a new website I create a unique password from anything I've ever used before. Then I get the message "would you like Google to remember this password?"

Of course I say yes in hope that Google will actually do it.
I get on another device, still using Google Chrome, signed into chrome on both devices, and Google doesn't remember the password. And neither do I.

That's because Google Chrome tracks from the original Internet Service Provider where the password was entered... Chrome is light-years better than Microflop Internet Exploder... but, if you have 'Do Not Track' enabled, it's not only on your Chrome Browser - it's also at the Google server, as Chrome has a 'sandbox' architecture like Opera, et cetera... there are apps at Google Play where you can store all of your passwords in a cloud-based scenario, and they seem to be rather safe... hope this helps, sfbb, and keep on going with your "Roar!" - LW

Sent from my @#*

That's because Google Chrome tracks from the original Internet Service Provider where the password was entered... Chrome is light-years better than Microflop Internet Exploder... but, if you have 'Do Not Track' enabled, it's not only on your Chrome Browser - it's also at the Google server, as Chrome has a 'sandbox' architecture like Opera, et cetera... there are apps at Google Play where you can store all of your passwords in a cloud-based scenario, and they seem to be rather safe... hope this helps, sfbb, and keep on going with your "Roar!" - LW

Sent from my @#*

What would happen if one of these sites were hacked?
Well, my Dashlane acct requires a password of its own to access my other passwords, & since they're in this business I'm sure they do what they can to protect everyone's data. That being said, I imagine like all sites/servers/whatever, nothing is guaranteed to be unhackable. But I'm not going to live in fear of my data being compromised & not use tools that are available to make my life easier.

I only use sites or services with a good reputation, & if/when something happens, I'll deal with it. Would be awesome if we didn't have to worry someone might steal our info., wouldn't it?

I just use phrases or something obscure to fit the name I use. I can usually remember it. I just type it in. I have a list on the computer, but lots of luck finding it.

It might just be stuck in the middle of a PDF somewhere. (Illustrator can edit PDF)

Well, my Dashlane acct requires a password of its own to access my other passwords, & since they're in this business I'm sure they do what they can to protect everyone's data. That being said, I imagine like all sites/servers/whatever, nothing is guaranteed to be unhackable. But I'm not going to live in fear of my data being compromised & not use tools that are available to make my life easier.

I only use sites or services with a good reputation, & if/when something happens, I'll deal with it. Would be awesome if we didn't have to worry someone might steal our info., wouldn't it?

Target... more recently, Home Depot... hell, even my wife-to-be's BANK got hacked. She had to get a new credit card, and all of that... sfbb & PattiCakeUS, we live in a time where we have pissed off hackers from Russia, the Ukraine, Malaysia, take your geographical pick... however, living in constant fear of being hacked isn't a good thing, either. It can kill productivity. So, be a good little doo-bee (do-be-do-be-do!) and set your Chrome browser to "Do Not Track"... also, browser extensions like Web Of Trust (WOT) and Ghostery can add protection. Most of all, avoid websites with a poor reputation (especially ones that start their URL with 'http'). Then, you have the websites with a secure 'https' URL, that bait-and-switch ya to an insecure 'http' part of their site (Pogo, Yahoo!, there are many). Just be watchful. Welcome to the World Wide Web 2.0 - LW

Sent from my @#*

I think its a little paranoid to think were all getting hacked.. I mean while places are getting 'hacked' (cracked would be a better term or even receiving malware) I haven't heard of many people actually getting info. If a threat is found its squashed before anything can't be gathered. But to be on the safe side they let us know its possible.. People work around the clock for our protection from that sort of thing because its their business and our money. While its something to take into account on our end and we should obviously not give our info to unsecured sites, we also need not think were all going to lose our account and panic into using cash only as that would be detrimental to the economy lol.

Any who my grinding of the gears today is having to get up for work lol

Yahoo does not honor "do not track"
Yahoo Stops Honoring 'Do-Not-Track' Settings - Slashdot. I see a yellow triangle in the URL bar if I use Yahoo for groups.

If you really want to be a PITA, then set your browser to delete everything including LSOs. If you use Yahoo or FB, this usually deletes any cookie or info they try to save if you close the browser after using said sites. I see now where some banks are recommending you close the browser after you log out.

I simply close the browser after looking at any social site. I also do not keep history. By not keeping history, no one can use the list to track.

I prefer NoScript and Ghostery. I haven't updated Adblock in months and haven't seen any difference. Pester me, and I turn off images. (Opera used to do this on a site by site basis - FX has an extension) Most of these extensions work in Linux.

Yahoo does not honor "do not track"
Yahoo Stops Honoring 'Do-Not-Track' Settings - Slashdot. I see a yellow triangle in the URL bar if I use Yahoo for groups.

If you really want to be a PITA, then set your browser to delete everything including LSOs. If you use Yahoo or FB, this usually deletes any cookie or info they try to save if you close the browser after using said sites. I see now where some banks are recommending you close the browser after you log out.

I simply close the browser after looking at any social site. I also do not keep history. By not keeping history, no one can use the list to track.

I prefer NoScript and Ghostery. I haven't updated Adblock in months and haven't seen any difference. Pester me, and I turn off images. (Opera used to do this on a site by site basis - FX has an extension) Most of these extensions work in Linux.

When I continued on this subject, I didn't mean to create paranoia. However, in sites like Pogo, a Java prompt will pop up from time to time, that has no earthly business being there. It's a cracker, like "cdriveinfiveminutes.com'... these people are out there, and on that level, it becomes more personal. I don't believe in paranoia, and drastic reductions to our national economy... but, I do believe in being watchful. Many of these crackers come from a dirt poor background, and are driven to do what they do. I feel for them, but, it is still wrong to crack computers looking for personal information... that's my rant for the day. Be watchful. :) LW

Sent from my @#*

Phone thieves grind my gears.

WifelyMon just got her phone nicked.

We were going to get her a new one next week or so - after shopping and checking the latest models, including the new Nexus.

But now she needs a phone pronto.

I am so pissed off and that's a fact.

And I am *very rarely* pissed off.

Ugh, somehow I didn't submit all my hours worked on my timesheet before it was approved by the manager. So I had to call HR to get it fixed. I guess I was in too big of a hurry to leave that night to avoid that oversight. I'm so mad at myself.

We were going to get her a new one next week or so - after shopping and checking the latest models, including the new Nexus.

And I *very rarely* pissed off.

Theft of that kind can be more about the disruption of plans than the monetary loss. Sorry EM, though here is hoping for the thief's sake he is smart enough that you don't find him.;)

Ugh, somehow I didn't submit all my hours worked on my timesheet before it was approved by the manager. So I had to call HR to get it fixed. I guess I was in too big of a hurry to leave that night to avoid that oversight. I'm so mad at myself.

It's okay. You're only human, and that explanation should suffice. Just worry about things that are REALLY important - at least HR came to the rescue. Be well, Ghostly One... All Hallows Eve is soon to be upon us - LW

Sent from my @#*

Ouuch. At least I saw the whole 2 weeks to exchange which will be nice.. Best of luck on your hunt. I bet you've already got your African safari outfit picked out for the day you fond said theif lol

Ouuch. At least I saw the whole 2 weeks to exchange which will be nice.. Best of luck on your hunt. I bet you've already got your African safari outfit picked out for the day you fond said theif lol

I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. :D

She was torn between the M8 for the sound and the G2 for the camera. I told her if she likes the M8 I'll buy her a new camera.

Tomorrow, she begins her M8 trials.

Honestly - tough decision when the LG G2 is on sale for one freaking dollar (yeah subsidized yadda yadda yadda lol).

That's a whole lot of phone for a dollar. :p

That sucks. My coworker left her phone by the window, and someone opened the window at drive through and took her phone. They were on camera too. Too bad. It would be cool if we could like send it to the police, they can do some facial recognition, find them, and charge them with theft. But we aren't there yet. Not yet... Too bad.

Back
Top Bottom