• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][ALPHA] CyanogenMod 10 for the LG Connect 4G MS840

PlayfulGod got this ROM to about 95% functional. Only issues left to fix are in the radio department. 4G and 1x will not work. If you are in a Metro area that actually has 3G coverage, it will work only in 3G signal area, but will display 1x.

This ROM is pretty much the same base as the VS840 Lucid CM10, and their data works fine. My guess would be something awry in the RIL department. I had an idea, was going to try pulling some files from my LG Motion or my Premia to see if swapping those radio/prop files out magically made data work. Unfortunately, time just didn't allow, and I have since moved on and bought a new phone cuz I got sick of Gingerbread.

If one has the time or the patience, this ROM could come to life. The answer/fix is probably right here in AF, or perhaps somewhere on XDA dev site. Fix may only involve a prop file edit. You're Android knowledge will go further only with taking chances, some experimentation and some online studying....
Thanks for the info update. I love this phone LG Connect (MS840). It has the horse power I need and all the feature I could need. The only thing the s_cks is this gingerbread. If you or anyone else finds a working Jelly Bean or Ice Cream Sandwich. Please Please Please Please Please let me know. I do not want another phone. I want this one with something other than Gingerbread. BTW someone told me that MetroPCS corporate stores could do the upgrade some how - think this is not true - but I really want this upgrade. However, I live far from one so before I make a road trip can anyone tell me if they really do have this? Sign LG CONNECT HOPEFUL

Upvote 0
BTW someone told me that MetroPCS corporate stores could do the upgrade some how - think this is not true - but I really want this upgrade. However, I live far from one so before I make a road trip can anyone tell me if they really do have this? Sign LG CONNECT HOPEFUL

Yes and no. Metro stores will upgrade your Connect, but only to VV5 gingerbread firmware.

As mentioned above and around this forum: If you are in a metro area that has 3G coverage, you can use this CM10 ROM. If you can only access 4G or 1x with your current firmware, you're out of luck. There is no other 4.0+ firmware out there that will work with the Connect, and very unlikely anybody will start from scratch on a phone that is far past its prime and also slated for termination from Metro's GSM network.

Upvote 0
Yes and no. Metro stores will upgrade your Connect, but only to VV5 gingerbread firmware.

As mentioned above and around this forum: If you are in a metro area that has 3G coverage, you can use this CM10 ROM. If you can only access 4G or 1x with your current firmware, you're out of luck. There is no other 4.0+ firmware out there that will work with the Connect, and very unlikely anybody will start from scratch on a phone tha t is far past its prime and also slated for termination from Metro's GSM network.

Yeah so sad but true! I'm still using my LG Connect and it's a great phone (I'm just running vv5 stock, rooted) but it's coming to the end of it's life which really sucks! I think I've had this phone for about 10 months now ;(

I have used this CM10 rom and it's awesome but it just doesn't work for data on the road. I was really hoping someone would figure it out cause GB sucks!

I would say by spring next year you won't even be able to use this phone on the metro network anymore. Right now I loose data completely just about every day on the road, it usually only lasts about 10 minutes or so but soon this phone will not even get a data signal once GSM goes into full effect. All these companies do is figure up ways to force us to buy new products and buy new stuff! It keeps them in business and rich and keeps us broke (PS4 will not even be backwards compatible)! My old PPC Mac will not run any new software or web browsers because all the new software needs an Intel Mac to run it, All my Mac software is at least 3 years old now! Anyway my next phone will probably be the Nexus, unlocked from the Google play store, I will never buy another phone from a carrier! =) just my 1 cent worth.... :-(

Upvote 0
My old PPC Mac will not run any new software or web browsers because all the new software needs an Intel Mac to run it, All my Mac software is at least 3 years old now!

I can kinda help you in that department, as I have been using a old Powerbook G4 as my main laptop of choice, even right now.

In the web browser department, if you miss Firefox, there is a PPC port called TenFourFox. Pretty much ports new Firefox (which Mozilla no longer makes for PPC) and whatnot to 10.5 and 10.4 as well as several versions of the PowerPC architecture.

If you have any other questions in this area, feel free to PM me and I can see what I can do to help you out. As us PowerPC folks need to stick together now lol ;)

Reactions: zandersig
Upvote 0
I can kinda help you in that department, as I have been using a old Powerbook G4 as my main laptop of choice, even right now.

In the web browser department, if you miss Firefox, there is a PPC port called TenFourFox. Pretty much ports new Firefox (which Mozilla no longer makes for PPC) and whatnot to 10.5 and 10.4 as well as several versions of the PowerPC architecture.

If you have any other questions in this area, feel free to PM me and I can see what I can do to help you out. As us PowerPC folks need to stick together now lol ;)

Wow lol. Will 10-4fox work on OS 9.2? Been dicking around with a stupid iMac and all I found was the latest MSIE to work. I downloaded an Opera browser that might work but I need to find a version is Stuff it that can open the bin file. I am a hater of the way Apple does things today but a fan of Macs. Been playing around with them since the old SE :D

And speaking of old PPC, I threw away two old Mac 8100/80s running OS 8.5 and a Tandy 1000HX a few years ago. Had to move, and I didn't think they were much of anything useful. Kinda regret it now and people are paying decent money for archaic computers :banghead: But we still have two G4 towers, and an iMac. One of my siblings is harboring an old Power Mac 9500 too.

Upvote 0

No kidding? I have not heard of that. I will definitely check that out. I guess just google TenFourFox...

Yeah I will be sending you a FR...

Upvote 0
Nice Spec! I didn't know you were a Macintosh dude =)
Yeah people are paying good money for old technology now... A CPS2 (capcom gaming console) are selling for like 400 bucks now (Metal Slug, etc).... it's insane... I now wish I would have kept my old gaming systems and old Macs. I do still have an old Vic 20 and I have a modded (chip) PS2 with a huge HDD in it with a ton of games but I can't decide if I want to sell it or not? I bet if I keep it another 10 years or so maybe I can get more money for it... LOL!

Upvote 0
Nice Spec! I didn't know you were a Macintosh dude =)
Yeah people are paying good money for old technology now... A CPS2 (capcom gaming console) are selling for like 400 bucks now (Metal Slug, etc).... it's insane... I now wish I would have kept my old gaming systems and old Macs. I do still have an old Vic 20 and I have a modded (chip) PS2 with a huge HDD in it with a ton of games but I can't decide if I want to sell it or not? I bet if I keep it another 10 years or so maybe I can get more money for it... LOL!

I used to dabble in the Mac world years ago, Mainly cuz I was too poor for one, and I was the unofficial Mac admin when my school got a brand new Macintosh SE (little guy with a tiny B/W monitor built in,remember?) I had to settle for Commodores and old Sinclair units. I used to have a great CBM collection man...and I fondly remember my Vic20 lol. But when I got my C64 the Vic sadly fell to the sidelines because it did so much more...

Great basic machine otherwise but too little RAM to work with. Ya know what? If you actually have the brown 16k memory expansion cartridge with your VIC its worth quite a bit more. But as for the macs I have now, my kid manages those things... Haven't really played with macs since OS 8.6 was the shit lol.

Upvote 0
Wow lol. Will 10-4fox work on OS 9.2? Been dicking around with a stupid iMac and all I found was the latest MSIE to work.

Tenfourfox will not work for that unfortunately. You still have options though.

There is a sister project to Tenfourfox called Classilla, which should work.

Additionally, there is another browser that is called iCab. iCab is shareware though. iCab has versions for both 68k and PPC (as well as Intel) macs going all the way back to Mac OS 8.1.

Yeah I remember IE. That was discontinued by Microsoft pretty quickly as pretty much no one liked using it. Even it being forcefully put as the main browser in I think OSX 10.2 didn't help taking off in popularity.

Upvote 0
Just got CM10 working on my Connect, and it's working beautifully!

I did run into a small situation where I installed the wrong GApps version, resulting in the Android keyboard constantly crashing, and resetting and flashing the correct version didn't resolve it.
Solution: install SwiftKey beta via .apk, long enough to associate my Google account with the phone, then install the full (already paid-for) version of SwiftKey from the Play Store (along with a grip of other apps I wanted on there).

Now the Connect is nicely configured as a handy little portable data device for work, and it's finally running an up-to-date Android version. Can't believe Connect never came with anything better than Gingerbread; those constant wifi disconnects were annoying as HECK!

Thanks so much for the awesome work!

Upvote 0
What are you waiting for? I've done all kinds of ill shiz to my Connect and never bricked it. Just keep the LG flash tool, VV5 firmware, root/CWM script and a CWM backup image handy before you go nuts flashing stuff. Those will pull you out of any soft brick you encounter...

--edit : If you flash CM10, DON'T play with mobile network settings. If you do, be sure to restore them to the way you found them or you may end up KO'ing your 4G or cell radio, and its a pain in the ass to fix.

Upvote 0
I don't believe it.... Ill wait til a few more people comment..... Don't wanna brick my phone.....

Sure, last updated in April, developer's testing unit is dead, 15 pages worth of comments, lots of users talking in detail about what works, and what gave them trouble (and replies on how to fix them), and lots of hints on how to install the bugger.
Phone was released over a year ago and is probably going to be completely disowned by the providers soon (it's already long gone from the manufacturer's site), but hey, why not hang out and wait?

All the time in the world at this point, right? (Hint: most of the "tutorials" on the web are scrapes/copies of the same thing, and they all reference a one-click install script on a site that no longer exists).

Upvote 0
I think deadweasel meant that it works as a PMD without the known FC issues :( And I believe PG fixed the front camera in one of the newer versions...?

Ah okay, in that case I will still keep it on VV5 as I use it as my main phone at the moment. When I get kicked off of MetroPCSs network as they will not want CDMA phones anymore pretty soon, I will then flash it as I will have nothing to lose then in respects to data. Or when I replace my phone with the Nexus 5 eventually...

Upvote 0
i finally decide to flash it since i have a connect laying around and so far it has been running fine since yesterday,i dont have service,buti use my wifi and it all seems to be going good,if anyone wants me to try anythingout,id b more thasn happy to try it,remember i dnt hav sergvice only wifi.and dumb me,i didnt know being on vv5 update i could flash the rom,but i took the chance and,it worked lol ty all for this rom,ive got it running on my nexus 7 and love it,if only the esteem could,id hav it made lol

Upvote 0
So is there any way i can use this? where i live i get perfect 4g and 3g but when i use this rom it doesn't connect unless i connect to my wifi first. So i really need it to be able to have signal since im away from home most of the day

Edit: Actually I Re-installed it and now i get signal and i can call and text people... but how do i get internet on it, i dont wanna mess with random settings and knock out the signal by accident.

Please Help

Upvote 0
This ROM WILL NOT WORK WITH OTA DATA! The only way you can use it for the net, emails, etc is by using wifi. It's not worth putting it on your phone.

Yeah I know, I wish somebody would finish/fix it but I don't think it will ever happen. The LG Connect is dead which sucks because I have only had mine for about 10 months now… waiting for the new Google Nexus phone!! ;-)

Upvote 0
So is there any way i can use this? where i live i get perfect 4g and 3g but when i use this rom it doesn't connect unless i connect to my wifi first. So i really need it to be able to have signal since im away from home most of the day

Edit: Actually I Re-installed it and now i get signal and i can call and text people... but how do i get internet on it, i dont wanna mess with random settings and knock out the signal by accident.

Please Help

If you really have 3G service coverage you can get OTA data, but only 3G. this ROM will not switch to 1x or 4G. You can tweak the mobile network settings to get data working just make sure you put the settings back exactly how you found them before you go back to Gingerbread! Very important! Do so at your own risk, and read the forum carefully to see which settings work and which to avoid!

Reactions: Doge
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones