• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][BETA][4.1.2]"L" Awe V2.5 Final[Works with stock device]

I just now have got back to trying to get my Awe flashed with a new rom and all. The root had succeeded for me previously but I basically left off from there. My 12 year old Shih Tzu had to be put down and its taken some time to get any motivation to do this or anything else besides go to work. Anyways, I was away for a little while so I decided to look around a bit Rom wise to see if I found anything I might favor over Moonshine. I ended up deciding on this after reading through the topic.

Ive got the stock no root version downloaded. I am rooted but have no twrp or anything yet so I figured to go ahead and just use this. Upon looking in the instructions, I noticed that these were Windows instructions. Im a new Linux user and very much still learning the Terminal but based on what I have read in other topics, wouldnt these Windows instructions be the same as what I would need for Linux? PDA Net is not needed I realize but Im referring more towards the Command Line instructions. I would simply need to insert sudo/ in front of these commands if I understand correct. Im really tempted to just try it out but Id hate to brick my phone too. I also would like to make a backup (assuming I should) but didnt notice any instructions on that.

I know alot of this if not all is covered elsewhere here and Ive probably even read it but for whatever reason, its coming to me. I think its perhaps Im just still a bit too timid being that I have not done this with Android at all. Really, I think about it and I would say this goes a bit past my experience flashing wp7 updates and such on an original Samsung Focus though it was a bit tedious :)

Thanks for all the help before and in the future. Even with being new and unfamiliar, Ive read enough to know several experts are here and willing to help and that is a good feeling.

I am sorry for your loss. i have 3 cat's and I know I would be down and out for awhile if I lost any of them. Just got to try and be strong and maybe get another one soon so it can give you some comfort.

I would have to download the whole zip to get the instructions unfortantly and am currently on a slow connection or the router is buggy. Hopefully someone will come on here and verify if the commands will work. from my experince they usally don't but i would have to see them first. Have a good day.

Yeah, Ive been pretty bummed out about it. He had started regularly coughing/gagging a lot a while back thus knew the time was coming.

If I didnt find it to be disrespectful to the author, Id screenshot the instructions or something. I'm not sure how that sortve thing works here but I could understand how anyone could find that to be underhanded. They do appear to be good instructions that I definitely couldve followed back a few months ago while I was still using Windows. I'm glad to have got away from it I must say.

The instructions are "GEICO" easy...you know...the whole "even a caveman could do it..." Just download the zip and follow the included instructions.

Awesome. I'll probably give it a try when I get home from work. I'm anxious to get it done and then ill be moving on to trying to get the tethering to work. My Nexus 7 (2012) is WiFi only thus being able to tether with the Awe would be sweet.

As far as ADB, I believe I have that installed and recognizing the Awe. Ill check that out regardless though. Thanks for the quick help all!

So Im trying to follow these instructions but when I get to step 6 which is entering "fastboot boot twrp.img" in the Terminal and I get nothing when I do. The terminal says it is waiting on the device but my device is just staying off in apparently Fastboot Mode. I say apparently because when I enter the "adb reboot-bootloader" for the prior step, my phone does turn off like the instructions say it will do indicating it is in Fastboot Mode. But after going into Fastboot, I cant get TWRP to come up.

I extracted to the desktop and its all in a folder. Im wondering if perhaps these Windows instructions meant for the files to be on the desktop, literally, in no folder. The idea that perhaps since the command Im stuck at indicates no directory, It needs to be on the desktop rather than in a folder on the desktop. Im going to try that but I get the feeling that isnt the issue. Any suggestions or help? Itd be much appreciated.

Edit: Tried that and had no success. Ive replicated these results 5 times now. My device is recognized and it goes into fastboot but does nothing when entering the command for TWRP...terminal just says waiting on device as my device does nothing.

So Im trying to follow these instructions but when I get to step 6 which is entering "fastboot boot twrp.img" in the Terminal and I get nothing when I do. The terminal says it is waiting on the device but my device is just staying off in apparently Fastboot Mode. I say apparently because when I enter the "adb reboot-bootloader" for the prior step, my phone does turn off like the instructions say it will do indicating it is in Fastboot Mode. But after going into Fastboot, I cant get TWRP to come up.

I extracted to the desktop and its all in a folder. Im wondering if perhaps these Windows instructions meant for the files to be on the desktop, literally, in no folder. The idea that perhaps since the command Im stuck at indicates no directory, It needs to be on the desktop rather than in a folder on the desktop. Im going to try that but I get the feeling that isnt the issue. Any suggestions or help? Itd be much appreciated.

Edit: Tried that and had no success. Ive replicated these results 5 times now. My device is recognized and it goes into fastboot but does nothing when entering the command for TWRP...terminal just says waiting on device as my device does nothing.

The files in the zip are *.exe. They execute only on windows. You need to get the adb and fastboot binarys installed for linux then it should work from any folder. Having the correct drivers and binary's set up for linux is not outlined in the guide as it is just for windows. It looks as though you have the adb binary installed for linux but not the fastboot binary. Try the guide I linked to earlier. the commands will work if the binarys are installed. I would have to say that it is in fact not so easy that a caveman can do it unless your linux distro has adb and fastboot along with drivers already installed. Easy for a caveman if he is running windows but not linux.

Wow...that hadnt occurred to me. I did know .exe is a windows executable and is exclusive to Windows but i hadnt looked at the files really to realize the .exe file. Now I see more so recognize what you meant earlier. I'm gonna give it a try here and ill report back, I'm guessing with success!

At this point, Ive got TWRP up and wiped data and system. The next 2 steps I quote
"10: Go back to recovery main screen, select "Advanced" then "ADB Sideload"
11: From command window type "adb sideload awe.zip" without quotes, this will install the rom, this will take some time as the file is rather big"

I did 10 and then 11 and Terminal said * cannot read 'awe.zip' *. On my phone, im on the screen offering to wipe Dalvik Cache and Cache. It doesnt mention anything in the instructions about what to do here. Do I go ahead and wipe those 2? I know I just wiped a couple things in the prior steps and if I screw up now, it could be a situation in which Ive bricked my phone perhaps. Im thinking I need to just need to select to wipe dalvii, swipe to start sideload, and then enter command in terminal.

I don't believe you need to wipe them. If you are using the latest twrp that is posted brittnearl says that sideloading is not working but I have not verified that. Did the sideloading work for you? It appears as it didn't so rebooting would just leave you at the Android green screen. Try mounting your SD card with twrp and transfer the awe.zip to it then flash it the normal way.

Im using 2.6.3.0 but Im not sure if that is the latest or not right offhand. EDIT: Im not using the newest. 2.7 and 2.7.1 appear to be out. Im not sure if the sideloading worked or not. Thats like where I am stuck so I would think no but Im not sure because the instructions dont have me sideloading anything up to where Im stuck now. I used "fastboot boot twrp.img" and got TWRP to come up. I wiped the data and system and proceeded to hit Advanced and ADB Sideload. After pressing the button to enter the ADB Sideload menu, it doesnt say to swipe to start the sideload or anything of that nature. Ill quote it:
10: Go back to recovery main screen, select "Advanced" then "ADB Sideload"
11: From command window type "adb sideload awe.zip" without quotes, this will install the rom, this will take some time as the file is rather big

I did very literally what the instructions said but when entering "adb sideload awe.zip," I get "cannot read 'awe.zip'." Im wondering if before I do step 11, I need to swipe on adb sideload menu that the options to wipe dalvik cache and cache. A button at the bottom says swipe to start sideload but the instructions dont say to swipe or start it.

So if I need to move on to mounting the SD card with twrp and transfer the awe.zip to it, do I want to mount all 5 options (Cache, Data, External SD, System, Carrier) or just the external SD?

Im a novice to mounting things in relation to computing. If I mount the sd card, my computer will recognize it despite being in TWRP and all? If so, I transfer Awe.zip to it, unmount it from the phone (im assuming id get the option to unmount after I had mounted), and go to install on TWRP?

Correct. Just mount the SD as I believe the script for installing by our great DEV brittnearl does all the mounting and unmounting for us. If you still run into problems maybe try downloading the other zip that is installable from the recovery that is in the op

Just tried mounting several times but my computer isnt recognizing it. Not sure what in the world to do.

BTW, I just noticed you live in Long Beach. I did my highschool out there at Poly. Loved Long Beach sooooo much but couldnt afford to stay after I finished high school and moved back to Indiana. I just helped my mother get a ticket today to fly out there to visit family. I miss the beach soooo much. I lived off of basically 7th and Atlantic so I was attached to the beach lol. If you have never visited Indiana, I can assure you Long Beach and California as a whole is much nicer.

Im using 2.6.3.0 but Im not sure if that is the latest or not right offhand. EDIT: Im not using the newest. 2.7 and 2.7.1 appear to be out. Im not sure if the sideloading worked or not. Thats like where I am stuck so I would think no but Im not sure because the instructions dont have me sideloading anything up to where Im stuck now. I used "fastboot boot twrp.img" and got TWRP to come up. I wiped the data and system and proceeded to hit Advanced and ADB Sideload. After pressing the button to enter the ADB Sideload menu, it doesnt say to swipe to start the sideload or anything of that nature. Ill quote it:
10: Go back to recovery main screen, select "Advanced" then "ADB Sideload"
11: From command window type "adb sideload awe.zip" without quotes, this will install the rom, this will take some time as the file is rather big

I did very literally what the instructions said but when entering "adb sideload awe.zip," I get "cannot read 'awe.zip'." Im wondering if before I do step 11, I need to swipe on adb sideload menu that the options to wipe dalvik cache and cache. A button at the bottom says swipe to start sideload but the instructions dont say to swipe or start it.

So if I need to move on to mounting the SD card with twrp and transfer the awe.zip to it, do I want to mount all 5 options (Cache, Data, External SD, System, Carrier) or just the external SD?

Im a novice to mounting things in relation to computing. If I mount the sd card, my computer will recognize it despite being in TWRP and all? If so, I transfer Awe.zip to it, unmount it from the phone (im assuming id get the option to unmount after I had mounted), and go to install on TWRP?
Is the awe.zip present where ur running the adb console from??? Its as if it cant find it...

Is the awe.zip present where ur running the adb console from??? Its as if it cant find it...

Im not sure exactly what you mean. The awe.zip is on the same computer that Im using ADB and doing all this on. Im really fresh with Linux and fresh in general in this arena for the most part.

The same thought came to my mind so I tried a different method and terminal just closed on me. Hope I didnt brick my phone... Im going to copy and paste my Terminal Window and perhaps that will help.

danforth@danforth-Dimension-9100:~$ adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
A00000382E590C device

danforth@danforth-Dimension-9100:~$ adb reboot-bootloader
danforth@danforth-Dimension-9100:~$ fastboot boot twrp.img
cannot load 'twrp.img': No such file or directory
danforth@danforth-Dimension-9100:~$ fastboot boot '/home/danforth/Desktop/Stock_L_Awe_V2.0/twrp.img'
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 0.445s]
booting...
OKAY [ 0.003s]
finished. total time: 0.449s
danforth@danforth-Dimension-9100:~$ adb sideload awe.zip
* cannot read 'awe.zip' *
danforth@danforth-Dimension-9100:~$ adb sideload '/home/danforth/Desktop/Stock_L_Awe_V2.0/awe.zip'
error: closed
danforth@danforth-Dimension-9100:~$

Im not sure exactly what you mean. The awe.zip is on the same computer that Im using ADB and doing all this on. Im really fresh with Linux and fresh in general in this arena for the most part.

The same thought came to my mind so I tried a different method and terminal just closed on me. Hope I didnt brick my phone... Im going to copy and paste my Terminal Window and perhaps that will help.

danforth@danforth-Dimension-9100:~$ adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
A00000382E590Cdevice

danforth@danforth-Dimension-9100:~$ adb reboot-bootloader
danforth@danforth-Dimension-9100:~$ fastboot boot twrp.img
cannot load 'twrp.img': No such file or directory
danforth@danforth-Dimension-9100:~$ fastboot boot '/home/danforth/Desktop/Stock_L_Awe_V2.0/twrp.img'
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 0.445s]
booting...
OKAY [ 0.003s]
finished. total time: 0.449s
danforth@danforth-Dimension-9100:~$ adb sideload awe.zip
* cannot read 'awe.zip' *
danforth@danforth-Dimension-9100:~$ adb sideload '/home/danforth/Desktop/Stock_L_Awe_V2.0/awe.zip'
error: closed
danforth@danforth-Dimension-9100:~$
Im not so sure with Linux but with windows both adb and the file ur sideloading should b in the same directory and u cd to it in the console b4 executing commands

I had read that but the only way I could even find to open the Terminal in Ubuntu was to go to it on the Sidebar with all the essentials on it. I even tried checking different menu options, right clicking, and such but got no option for Terminal. I took it as that was a Windows thing but at the same time, Im really fresh to Linux.

At this point, I dont know if I have bricked my phone or not. I still have TWRP going and dont want to exit and reboot or anything because Im afraid of the possible repercussions. My terminal says it closed so I take it as it has reset while my phone is still in TWRP after wiping.

Im stuck and not sure what my options are to keep myself atleast with a phone rather than a brick. It is the risk I took getting into this on a new OS, being first timer, and while I thought I had a good concept of what I was doing going in, it turns out I dont think that was the case. With that said, I probably deserve a brick. If I do end up with a brick, Im going to get another phone and probably do this all again. Id like to stick with the Awe considering its price and performance and community but Ive also had 2/3 Awes overheat. Id definetly like to stick with Virgin Mobile but I guess anythings possible.

I wish I could get my sd card to mount to the computer. Could I take the SD card out of my phone while its running in TWRP, get the Awe.zip on it, and put the SD card back in?

if somebody is able to connect to ur PC they can do it for u I had some one do that for me to set up SDK on windows and he did it with his phone to my PC and got me with recovery set and rooted then I was able to flash Roms at this point I think I see if any here can do that

Back
Top Bottom