• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Mikfroyo - ALL Versions

Don't worry about it :). There's so many ways of doing things, that it can get confusing when you've never done something like it before.

As for your wifi issue, are you getting an actual error message, is it not connecting to your network, or is it actually not even scanning? If it's at least picking up your network, what point does it get to before giving up? Does it say connecting? Does it say it's getting an IP address? If you can at least scan, have you tried rebooting your router/access point?

Its connecting to 4g and 3g just fine... It attempts to turn on WiFi then says "unable to scan for networks" and shuts off. I need muh WiFi...

Upvote 0
Its connecting to 4g and 3g just fine... It attempts to turn on WiFi then says "unable to scan for networks" and shuts off. I need muh WiFi...

Got it. I didn't quite read that post thoroughly :). This could be some kind of configuration corruption or (hopefully not) a hardware issue. Probably the former. Did you wipe data when you flashed the ROM? Make a backup, then wipe data/cache/dalvik and reflash the ROM. Try to connect to wifi after that. We can take it from there if it doesn't work.

Upvote 0
Got it. I didn't quite read that post thoroughly :). This could be some kind of configuration corruption or (hopefully not) a hardware issue. Probably the former. Did you wipe data when you flashed the ROM? Make a backup, then wipe data/cache/dalvik and reflash the ROM. Try to connect to wifi after that. We can take it from there if it doesn't work.

I usually don't wipe data... just dalvik and cache and it hasn't caused any problems so far... I really hate restoring my text messages and data cuz it takes over an hour to do fully and stuff is always weird with my contacts for a bit... I know i sound whiney (do forgive me), but do i HAVE to?

What i will do now is restore to the previous back up and see if it will allow me to connect

You're the best, Akazabam... so helpful <3

Upvote 0
I usually don't wipe data... just dalvik and cache and it hasn't caused any problems so far... I really hate restoring my text messages and data cuz it takes over an hour to do fully and stuff is always weird with my contacts for a bit... I know i sound whiney (do forgive me), but do i HAVE to?

What i will do now is restore to the previous back up and see if it will allow me to connect

You're the best, Akazabam... so helpful <3

You really should always wipe data. It's not that apps are incompatible. Apps are apps. It's the fact that there are so many system settings and variable things stored in data that you're bound to run into incompatibilities eventually. Some people can get away with it, but a majority of people will run into issues at some point. In the end, you're going to waste more time tracking down ridiculous issues, only to find that they go away when you just start each new ROM with a clean slate. It's a pain, but you save time in the long run. I'm speaking from experience here :). Go ahead and wipe data/cache/dalvik, and reflash the ROM, and I'm fairly certain wifi will work again.

As for backing up, just get used to having to restore everything. I just write down every step I need to go through. I've done it enough times now to pick up on all the patterns. Use titanium backup for apps, restore only apps you know you need; restore app data only when absolutely necessary (apps with complicated settings and no built in settings backup, game scores, etc.); restore all settings manually (I write down what all to change); backup and restore text messages with SMS Backup & Restore (the same dev has an app for call logs if you want to save those). I promise you, if you do those things, you will save yourself time in the long run. I spent the better part of a month once trying to figure out why an app wasn't working right, only to realize that it couldn't be restored through titanium backup with data. It's a problem on a smaller scale to yours, but the concept is still the same.

Let me know how it works out for you :).

Upvote 0
thanks for the help :]

interestingly enough, i couldnt back up or restore using Amon Ra... but i suspect its cuz of space on my SD card?

and quick question... after flashing a file, we can delete it from the SD correct? or does it have to stay there? Some of these zips are kind of large...

Didn't you just flash RA? If you had Clockwork when you made your nandroid backups, you can't restore them in RA. Not only are they stored in a different location (it can't find them), but if you were to move them to the right location, you'd likely break something. They aren't meant to be compatible. If you want to go back (assuming you made your backups with Clockwork), you need to reflash Clockwork recovery. If you did make your nandroid backup with RA, and I misunderstood you, there are a number of reasons why it might not work. If that happens to be the case, did you get an error message?

Once you've flashed a file, the system no longer needs it. It's a read-once type of thing. That being said, there are certain zip files you'll want to keep handy just in case. For example, *most* things that can go wrong in a ROM can be easily fixed by reflashing the ROM. That being said, it's a good idea to keep the flashable zip of your current ROM handy, just in case you ever need it. You certainly don't have to, but it can save you some time if you ever need it. As for mods, older ROMs, etc., there's no need to keep them on your card if you're running out of space. Like I said, once you've flashed the file, the system doesn't need it.

Upvote 0
Didn't you just flash RA? If you had Clockwork when you made your nandroid backups, you can't restore them in RA. Not only are they stored in a different location (it can't find them), but if you were to move them to the right location, you'd likely break something. They aren't meant to be compatible. If you want to go back (assuming you made your backups with Clockwork), you need to reflash Clockwork recovery. If you did make your nandroid backup with RA, and I misunderstood you, there are a number of reasons why it might not work. If that happens to be the case, did you get an error message?

wouldnt it be awesome if they were universal... :|

Once you've flashed a file, the system no longer needs it. It's a read-once type of thing. That being said, there are certain zip files you'll want to keep handy just in case. For example, *most* things that can go wrong in a ROM can be easily fixed by reflashing the ROM. That being said, it's a good idea to keep the flashable zip of your current ROM handy, just in case you ever need it. You certainly don't have to, but it can save you some time if you ever need it. As for mods, older ROMs, etc., there's no need to keep them on your card if you're running out of space. Like I said, once you've flashed the file, the system doesn't need it.

awesome thanks :]

Upvote 0
wouldnt it be awesome if they were universal... :|

Well, it *might* work, but let's not find out the hard way. Likely, the method they use to make the backup is similar. Now that you can select what partitions to backup/restore with RA, it potentially could be compatible. I'm willing to test a lot of different things, but that's not one of them. I've *heard* of people doing it, but not on purpose (or realizing the potential for destroying things). As a general rule, pick a recovery and stick with it. If you switch, and you want to restore a backup, just switch recovery versions temporarily. Over time, you'll have no need to go back to older nandroid backups, and you won't need to switch recovery types anymore. My two cents.

Upvote 0
Update on what has happened:

I wiped my phone and installed the new ROM and everything was working fine. Then i restored text messages and apps and data using the same apps you mentioned. Then i restarted my phone so the homescreen would go back to normal... which it did. Then WiFi stopped working once more... So i think there is an app or something i have that is messing with it?

Upvote 0
Update on what has happened:

I wiped my phone and installed the new ROM and everything was working fine. Then i restored text messages and apps and data using the same apps you mentioned. Then i restarted my phone so the homescreen would go back to normal... which it did. Then WiFi stopped working once more... So i think there is an app or something i have that is messing with it?

You used titanium backup? Did you use it the way I suggested? By that, I mean, did you restore only apps you know you need, restoring app data only when absolutely necessary, and restoring no system data at all? If so, then it must be an app (which is weird, to say the least, as this problem is more associate with the system). If you restored anything via a batch, or especially if you restored system data, then I'm not surprised. That's bound to cause as many issues as not wiping data. If you did everything I suggested, and this still happened, then we'll have to track down whatever else is causing this.

Upvote 0
You used titanium backup? Did you use it the way I suggested? By that, I mean, did you restore only apps you know you need, restoring app data only when absolutely necessary, and restoring no system data at all? If so, then it must be an app (which is weird, to say the least, as this problem is more associate with the system). If you restored anything via a batch, or especially if you restored system data, then I'm not surprised. That's bound to cause as many issues as not wiping data. If you did everything I suggested, and this still happened, then we'll have to track down whatever else is causing this.

i restored data... guess i have to start over... :[

Upvote 0
i restored data... guess i have to start over... :[

Yeah, that's going to make it very hard to troubleshoot the issue. You really shouldn't restore system data. It's bound to transfer issues, and kind of defeats the purpose of starting over when you have a problem. Go ahead and wipe, restore apps you need, and change settings manually.

Upvote 0
Finally flashed Mikfroyo 4.5 last night. Figured I would stay with the stock kernel for a few days till I see how things settle in.

As my stock rooted hardware 0004 EVO had software 3.30, PRI 1.77, etc, I also flashed the combo update. Of course, I wiped data, cache and dalvik before flashing. Everything went well, I re-installed most of my apps, manually, not using Titanium.

Liking the speed, but not so crazy about the themeing...anyway...

two issues:

1) Tried to install the "stocks" app from the removed apps folder on the SD card, via both Root Explorer and ES file manager. It starts, tries, says installing, then says NOT installed. I tried a few other of the removed apps, and I was not able to install any of them this way. I do have "allow apps from other sources" (or what ever the exact wording is) checked. Any ideas?

2) And far more important than #1, it got stuck at the white HTC EVO 4G splash screen when booting the phone from OFF this morning. After I got the phone mostly set up with the new ROM last night, I made a nandroid, rebooted from recovery (Amon RA 2.1.1), then shut it down and plugged it in to charge over night, then went to bed.

This morning, unplugged it and turned it on, and DANG IT! Stuck. Pulled battery, figuring it is just a glitch....retried, same thing. Tried three times. I then restored backup nandroid from just before shutting it down last night, and it booted up fine.

Again, any ideas guys? Thanks!

Upvote 0
Finally flashed Mikfroyo 4.5 last night. Figured I would stay with the stock kernel for a few days till I see how things settle in.

As my stock rooted hardware 0004 EVO had software 3.30, PRI 1.77, etc, I also flashed the combo update. Of course, I wiped data, cache and dalvik before flashing. Everything went well, I re-installed most of my apps, manually, not using Titanium.

Liking the speed, but not so crazy about the themeing...anyway...

two issues:

1) Tried to install the "stocks" app from the removed apps folder on the SD card, via both Root Explorer and ES file manager. It starts, tries, says installing, then says NOT installed. I tried a few other of the removed apps, and I was not able to install any of them this way. I do have "allow apps from other sources" (or what ever the exact wording is) checked. Any ideas?

2) And far more important than #1, it got stuck at the white HTC EVO 4G splash screen when booting the phone from OFF this morning. After I got the phone mostly set up with the new ROM last night, I made a nandroid, rebooted from recovery (Amon RA 2.1.1), then shut it down and plugged it in to charge over night, then went to bed.

This morning, unplugged it and turned it on, and DANG IT! Stuck. Pulled battery, figuring it is just a glitch....retried, same thing. Tried three times. I then restored backup nandroid from just before shutting it down last night, and it booted up fine.

Again, any ideas guys? Thanks!

Congrats on the smooth radio update and ROM flash :). I know you weren't looking forward to doing that for the first time ;). Just a quick note on the theming, there *are* other themes out there if you're not a fan of the default (I'm certainly not). I'm still on 4.4, but I have the flat black theme with gingerbread icons. It looks pretty nice, actually. Anyway, to your questions:

1) You can't install the removed apps that way. You need to push them to /system/app/. Basically, apps can go in one of two places - /data/app/ or /system/app/. The app drawer will display apps from both locations, but apps in /data/app/ need to be installed by running the apk and installing it. Apps that need to go to /system/app/ *normally* are those that come with the phone. As we all have root :))), we can just copy apps to /system/app/. Don't try to just install it. It won't work, as it's trying to go to /data/app/. So, just take the apks you want, and copy them to /system/app/. You have root explorer, so it's really easy. Go to the location of the apks on the sdcard, copy one you want, go to /system/app/, select the option to mount as r/w (up in the top right), then paste right there in /system/app/. Do that for all the ones you want to install. You'll probably need to reboot after that (couldn't hurt even if you don't). Once that is done, you should see the apps in the app drawer. Try to run one and see if it works.

2) Ok, let's break this down:

a) Did you flash any other mods or anything else from recovery, period?
b) I know you said you restored apps manually, but did you restore *anything* from titanium backup? For example, did you restore any system or app data? My guess is no, but just covering all the bases?
c) Since you got it to boot up, have you tried rebooting again? Here's the thing, sometimes you can have an issue (such as not being able to reboot; i.e. it gets stuck every time), but you don't know there's a problem until you try to reboot. I'm just wondering if you've still got a problem, but don't know since you may not have tried to reboot yet.
d) What I would have suggested before restoring a nandroid backup would have been to boot into hboot, then recovery, then wipe cache/dalvik, then try rebooting. So, go ahead and reboot, see if it get's stuck, and if it does, try wiping cache/dalvik. If it doesn't, it *could* be an issue with recovery, as even I've had it get stuck at the splash screen after making a nandroid backup. I have no idea why it happened, but it has. Usually a battery pull and turning it normally would fix that, though. I know it happened to someone else recently, though, and they had to restore the nandroid. That being said, try reflash recovery, as it could be a bad flash (but try the other stuff, first). Also, consider upgrading to 2.2.1 while you're at it.

Reactions: JB in AZ
Upvote 0
Congrats on the smooth radio update and ROM flash :).....
Congrats on the smooth radio update and ROM flash :). I know you weren't looking forward to doing that for the first time ;).

Thanks! I knew it wasn't going to be hard, I just knew that once I did (flasinh the combo updates and all), it was essentially saying goodbye to my stable stock rom setup. Of course I could downgrade radios etc, :eek: but that's the part I didn't want to do.

1) You can't install the removed apps that way....Go to the location of the apks on the sdcard, copy one you want, go to /system/app/, select the option to mount as r/w (up in the top right), then paste right there in /system/app/.

Followed these instructuons, stock.apk is now in /system/app, rebooted (no hang at splash screen...YAY!) but it does not show up in the app drawer. :(

2) Ok, let's break this down:

a) Did you flash any other mods or anything else from recovery, period?
No

b) I know you said you restored apps manually, but did you restore *anything* from titanium backup? For example, did you restore any system or app data? My guess is no, but just covering all the bases?
I did not even install TB

c) Since you got it to boot up, have you tried rebooting again?

Yes, see above, but also, it seems to boot up fine from the nandroid backup, why? no idea, as this was made right before shutting down last night. But it seems to be ok now...

Just a quick note on the theming, there *are* other themes out there if you're not a fan of the default (I'm certainly not)

I will want to explore other themes, might even try flashing a few other roms today, but mikfroyo does have such good following...so first things first... any other ideas on getting "stocks" to work?

Upvote 0
Followed these instructuons, stock.apk is now in /system/app, rebooted (no hang at splash screen...YAY!) but it does not show up in the app drawer.

Using root explorer, go to /system/app. What do you see as the permissions for the stocks apk? It will be on the bottom right of each file. It looks something like rw-r--r--

As to your getting stuck at at the splash screen, try making another nandroid backup, then see if you get stuck. If you don't, well, maybe it was a fluke. If you do, I'll bet you have an issue with recovery. I'd say reflash recovery (or update to 2.2.1), then trying making a nandroid backup, and see if it happens again. Like I said before, I've had it get stuck after making a nandroid backup before (though a battery pull fixed it for me), but I have heard of it happening to other people the way it happened to you.

Upvote 0
Funny thing is, the file is called stock.apk, not stocks.apk...I wonder if it is the right file? This is for stock quotes.

OK, I will clear cache and dalvik, I guess nothing to loose.

Yes, it's call Stock.apk; I'm not sure why. Yeah, go ahead and clear cache and dalvik, and see if it helps. It certainly won't harm anything.

EDIT:

What!?! :thinking: I was just going to boot into recovery to clear cache and dalvik, but decided to look once more in the app drawer... and now it is there! HUH??? :thinking: I made no changes other than opening and closing root explorer again.

Lol, that's weird. Did you check for it *right* after rebooting? Sometimes you have to give it a minute or two for everything to populate.

Upvote 0

Lol, that's weird. Did you check for it *right* after rebooting? Sometimes you have to give it a minute or two for everything to populate.

That has to be it! LOL Thanks,

Anyway I will play with this rom for awhile, looking much better after changing the wallpaper. I might try one of the color themes, but would also like one of those flashable multi-color circle w/% battery icons for the notification bar... ;)

Upvote 0
That has to be it! LOL Thanks,

Anyway I will play with this rom for awhile, looking much better after changing the wallpaper. I might try one of the color themes, but would also like one of those flashable multi-color circle w/% battery icons for the notification bar... ;)

Here is the only thread I know of that has mods for mifroyo outside of the official ones. I know there was a mod for those battery icons on 4.4 for the default theme, but I don't think it's been added to 4.5 yet (probably because there are so many themes now). I would not suggest trying to flash anything made for 4.4, as you'll run into issues when flashing something that doesn't include the rotary lock screen. That being said, another option would be to find the battery icons in a metamorph format. I'm sure they're around.

That being said, I hate metamorph, and have been in a situation where I wanted different icons on my current, tailored theme. It was for a different wifi icon set, but the concept is the same. I just copied my framework-res.apk file to my computer, dropped the pngs I wanted in it, resigned the apk, and put it in a flashable zip. That *should* work just fine for the battery too. It's tedious to do over and over again, but if you're going to do it once, it's not that bad.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones