• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Mobster Rom HD/Lite - 031513

Status
Not open for further replies.
HD/Lite 03/09/2013 build

• Performance Increase
  • Fixed 3G Icon Issue
  • Added 150 MB Swap Space to Internal Memory

Well i'm pretty Sure you noticed that i've added 150 MB of Swap Space as a new feature........... well It doesn't use your sdcard in any way so you don't have to worry about that :smokingsomb: So where is it?............. In your Cache and Data Partitions :D This adds a nice Performance Boost but if you want to remove it the 2nd Post of this Thread has a Script to remove it. Enjoy :)

screenshot2013031008013.png
screenshot2013031008021.png

Edit: Dev-Host was having issues so the Rom is being hosted by Google

Edit2: Moved so its at the Top of Page 64

Is the swap feature something that could be utilized on any rom or is your script rom specific?

If it's rom specific would it be simple edits to get it working on another rom?

Any way you could make this a sort of global flashable mod for multiple roms? Like more of a tool for everyone rather than a feature in just one rom?

I obviously have no idea what's involved or how hard it would be, but just a curious suggestion I guess :)

Is the swap feature something that could be utilized on any rom or is your script rom specific?

If it's rom specific would it be simple edits to get it working on another rom?

Any way you could make this a sort of global flashable mod for multiple roms?

It depends on how much memory the Rom leaves available after its Flashed. My Roms leave 105 MB of Cache Free after a Fresh Install but i used 75MB of it for Swap which leaves 30 MB for App Cache which Mobster and UP Drop anyway.......

As For the Data Swap i added 75 MB Swap to match what i put for Cache but you can technically use almost the full 1 GB Left but that would leave you no space for your apps and other Data.....

CM i would imagine Leaves Less Space Available in the Cache..........

If a Universal Flashable Zip would be made it would have to be safer to be used and by safer i mean smaller i imagine 25 MB - 50 MB for Swap Space........ And Dual Swap might not be safe if the user flashing the Mod doesn't have the Space for it

Edit: Really its only a Script in the Init.d Folder so it should be real easy to use on other Roms but i can't guarantee everything will be alright........... i don't want to risk that myself.........

Edit2: I'm not sure how it Runs with a Rom that has ZRam Enabled........... that might cause issues

My Roms leave 105 MB of Cache Free after a Fresh Install but i used 75MB of it for Swap which leaves 30 MB for App Cache which Mobster and UP Drop anyway.......

As For the Data Swap i added 75 MB Swap to match what i put for Cache but you can technically use almost the full 1 GB Left but that would leave you no space for your apps and other Data.....

What is cache used for, and why is it always OK to wipe the cache anytime you want? Would our browser tabs be stored there and remembered even after a reboot? Is it stuff like that? What are the implications of taking 75% of the available cache? How much cache is normally available on the stock ROM?

What is swap memory used for? Or better stated, how does this improve performance?

Anyone who can answer any of these questions, please chime in, I don't mean to ask this specifically of Mobster.

What is cache used for, and why is it always OK to wipe the cache anytime you want?

Cache is a type of temporary and quick access data used by apps. In ICS+ apps are using the Data Partition to save information, libraries and cache data. Occasionally the cache can become corrupted and cause an app to act funny. And no it's not dangerous to wipe it. When you wipe it you force the app to recreate any information it had previously stored in cache, which can slow down the app until the information is recreated.

Would our browser tabs be stored there and remembered even after a reboot? Is it stuff like that?

Not Likely

What are the implications of taking 75% of the available cache?

On my Rom......... None Cache is Dropped anyway and 30MB is Plenty for anything Temporary

What is swap memory used for? Or better stated, how does this improve performance?

All about Linux swap space | Linux.com

Making Swap Space on an SD Card means you may NEVER unmount the sdcard or connect your phone to your computer because you then just kill your swap file.............. its the same as pulling out the Ram!!! Sure with an SD Card you have a lot more space to make/use as Swap but using the Internal Memory of the Phone is Faster and you don't have to worry about it :)

You could always do a Nandroid Backup and/or Backup with Titanium Backup

I have been using carbon to backup my apps and data. The free version even let's you backup messaging and browser data. You also don't have to confirm each app you restore like you do with the free version of titanium.

The native messaging app has a back up tool in the settings, and titanium has a batch back up as well, I wipe everything and am back to my setting s in like seven minutes after flashing, holo launcher also let's you back up settings and desktop shortcuts

Thanks for the help guys. I tried to upgrade without wiping data but only some of the apps and settings stayed throughout the upgrade. Looks like everything that was installed on my SD card didnt move over right. I will have to try using something else. I never really liked the free version of titanium backup. It was a little too confusing being new to me, So I always shyed away from it. Looks like I will have to try it again, Or maybe even that carbon backup app.

Hey Mobz is there a way to get the full screen contact pic on a call like in cm10.1 and not the HTC one? I like the image full screen and not small. I use haxsync for my contact images and would love to have it show the high res images full screen. I've been running midnight rom and wild for the night and that's the only thing I'm gonna miss from jellybean when I switch back to your rom. I used to use callapp on your rom but don't want to use an app just to display the contacts pics bigger. Thanks

I am trying out the Mobster ROM HD 30913 and the performance is terrible for me even when running at max clock, 1512Mhz. There is incredible lag on even the most mundane tasks, and the system often hangs. I ran a Antutu benchmark and received a score of 6001, the lowest I have seen on this phone. Harmonia and Unlocked Potential HD averaged in the high 7000's for me at max clock, and Negalite was scoring in the high 8000's. I am s-off, used 4ext to flash this rom, wiped Data, Cache as well as Dalvik Cahche before installing, so I dont know why this runs so poorly. Uninstalling the swap space did not help either. I will also note that Mobster Rom HD Lite 12813 ran fine when I tested it a few days ago.

I am trying out the Mobster ROM HD 30913 and the performance is terrible for me even when running at max clock, 1512Mhz. There is incredible lag on even the most mundane tasks, and the system often hangs. I ran a Antutu benchmark and received a score of 6001, the lowest I have seen on this phone. Harmonia and Unlocked Potential HD averaged in the high 7000's for me at max clock, and Negalite was scoring in the high 8000's. I am s-off, used 4ext to flash this rom, wiped Data, Cache as well as Dalvik Cahche before installing, so I dont know why this runs so poorly. Uninstalling the swap space did not help either. I will also note that Mobster Rom HD Lite 12813 ran fine when I tested it a few days ago.

Must be that kernel you installed. Higher CPU Frequency doesn't mean faster phone...............

Must be that kernel you installed. Higher CPU Frequency doesn't mean faster phone...............

Are there any implications with using a different kernel and the memory swap?

I've grown to like sweep to wake, overclocking, and CPU Hotplugging...so I installed Buttered Toast & Kernel Tuner on your Mobster HD ROM. It works well, but I am not sure how it will work with the memory swap that you've introduced. Does the ROM or the kernel control the memory swap?

Are there any implications with using a different kernel and the memory swap?

I've grown to like sweep to wake, overclocking, and CPU Hotplugging...so I installed Buttered Toast & Kernel Tuner on your Mobster HD ROM. It works well, but I am not sure how it will work with the memory swap that you've introduced. Does the ROM or the kernel control the memory swap?

Its Actually the Android OS itself (with help from the swap script) that controls the Swap and Ram

Other Kernels (in most cases) should work fine but i'd disable ZRam if you decide to flash an After-Mobster Kernel :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom