• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting questions/TacoROOT issues

capt. that post 435 that has teh 4 att that i did finaly for you

first . pic
the sdcard

second pic
should be showing you i d/l the files to desk top

third and forth should be me showing you the files after i extracted thme and what they looke like after teh extraction
That's what it looked like, but I didn't see the path in the Explorer bar. It would probably be helpful to see the whole root of the sdcard, with both files there, just to make sure.

And you said you tried a different SD card with the same result? All I know is, adb cannot see the file there, for some reason. I'm stumped as to what that reason is.

I would just move on and try the HTCDev procedure, as outlined in the 2.3.5 Rooting for Dummies guide. If you have any issues with that one, as Mike suggested, you can start a new thread (though you may want to link to it here first, so everyone that's helping here won't miss it).

The only other option would be to reformat the sd card. Sometimes a corrupt SD card can cause this issue, but you said you tried a different card, so that kind of eliminates that as a possible issue.

yes actuly i did reformat the sdcard befor i tryed a diff one. i was some were in the thread i said that i did that befor i tryed the new sd card.

if you like i can post a new screen shot with teh bar so you can see the path

what about my other questions or should i say thoughts here ther are again if you have any insight ot it

k i do have a valid question on her phone dose the
part under this part need to be checked

settings / applications / unknown sources

dose that need to be checked because i have noticed that is it on my phone but not on hers

the reson i am asking is because it states underit

allow installation of non-martket applications

i did know if this would have caused a issue or not because we are trying ot instiall somthing

also i went ahead an looed under my pc device manager even thow the comd adb device says that is is there and all it should under my pc device manger is

android usb device

htc sync

if that helps

and even thow it is in the loop i have dicribed to you guys be for at this point

i alos looked in the device manager under disk drive and it is shoing

htc andriod phone usb device

sent it si son charge only that should not be happening

as for the screen shoot if you want to see the bar an info in it how would you like it to be showen to you

you want ti just as if i hook it up and use it as a disk drive or during the step process

as for the screen shoot if you want to see the bar an info in it how would you like it to be showen to you

you want ti just as if i hook it up and use it as a disk drive or during the step process
Connect it in Disk Drive mode, and the folder that pops up is where the files should be.

The Unknown Sources option doesn't have anything to do with what we're doing. That's just when you're installing programs within Android.

k well my wife took her phone to work soon as she shows up i well get that screen shoot to you ..

how ever dont think it well make much diff it well be the same

k capt or who eles wants to know

image1 is of what it comes up as when it is in under my computer

image 2 is when i open the sdcard on the phoen from the computer

Attachments

• image5.JPG
    image5.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 42
  • image6.JPG
    image6.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 55
k i have a question

was startin to read an go voer the steps in the devo that you guys are saying i should move on to

had a few questions

after i complete the devo and before i choose to go forward with capt. methiod it has sev steps to fallow

under step two or step three witch one doyou guys rocommend

and under the capt. meth it says this

Instructions below!

IMPORTANT NOTES:

• If all you want to do is root and be able to install custom ROMs, then you do NOT NEED THIS GUIDE! HTC's unlocker will allow you to do that by installing a custom recovery.This guide is NOT for beginners. If you don't know WHY you want to be S-OFF, then you probably don't need to be. This is for advanced users, or those who are still under warranty and need to send their phone for repairs after using the HTCDev unlock process.
  • This guide assumes that you've completed the unlocking process from HTCDev.com, which means you've also downloaded fastboot/adb to a local folder on your computer. That will be the same folder from which you will be running the commands listed in this thread.
  • The Superuser file is a flashable zip, which means it must NOT be extracted after downloading! After download is complete, copy to /sdcard as-is, so that it can be flashed in recovery.
  • In order to flash recovery in fastboot, the recovery.img file from the zip file needs to be in the same folder as the fastboot.exe.
  • The flash_image binary and the mtd-eng.img can be placed on the root of the /sdcard prior to starting the S-OFF process.
  • The PC36IMG.zip should NOT be placed on the SD card until the step (10) where it is used. If you have it on the card, it will cause delays in loading fastboot on the device.

• If the bootloader doesn't recognize the PC36IMG.zip, and you used Windows Explorer to rename the PC36IMG file, make sure you didn't add an extra ".zip" to the end of the file name. Most people hide file extensions, so that can happen without you even realizing it (especially if you see that it's already recognized as a "ZIP" file). If you still have issues after checking that, the only other reason it wouldn't work is a corrupt or faulty SD card. If you can try a different card, see if the PC36IMG file works on it.
  • If you'd prefer to root/NAND unlock using Revolutionary, you can substitute the Froyo ROM file (in Step 10) with a Gingerbread ROM file (any version up to 4.54). The latest version unlockable with Revolutionary can be found here.
​

P.S. I chose to post this here instead of some other sites because I think this is the best, most collaborative community for us available right now. So if you see someone asking how to do this, please direct them here!
BigGrin(DBG).gif
paperclip.png
Attached Files

so my question would be looks as if i well be using the same flash and mtd file so if i was having trouble with thows files in the taco then would i be wrong in saying wont i have the same issues

so then what is being said to me is that i can only go as far as the devo meth thats is it i could not apply to get perment s off with your meth

and my other question that i did as was

if i do the dev meth which you see her below there are sev steps to go threw as well as choices to be mad on which way i should go

so seeing how my wifes phone has this prob what ever it my be which of hte paths do you all recom i do so i wel nto have any other issues

ok with that said, here they are:

1. HTCdev method (recommended)

this method is something that htc has done to keep their word on providing us with bootloaders that are not locked down like on some other phones. however, there are some things that you should know about it, if you are planning on going this route. yes the bootloader will be unlocked, but you will have s-on still. however, this also means that the bootloader will be watermarked and this will void your warranty on the phone.

and yes with this method, you will be able to flash roms, kernels and such though you will still have s-on. once the bootloader is unlocked all you need to do is have a custom recovery and either flash a custom rom or flash the su (superuser) file and then you are good to go.

here is an overview of the process:

here is an overview of the process:
unlockprocess.png

1.go to HTCdev and follow directions to get your bootloader unlocked
2.install custom recovery
3.flash the su file or you can flash a rom of your choice

the setup
you will need to download these files:
make sure that you have htc sync installed and that you have the latest java running.

step 1 HTCdev bootloader unlocker

1.go to the htc website:HTCdev - Unlock Bootloader
2.at the very far right there should be a drop down menu. scroll all the way down to the bottom until you see "All Other Supported Models". do not select the evo 4g(korean). that is an entirely different phone.
3.just follow the steps. and use the files that you downloaded earlier when asked.
4.you will then get an email and follow directions according to the email.
5.congrats!!!!!!!! you have now just unlocked your bootloader:D
here is a step by step as stated on the htcdev.com site.
1.remove and insert the battery
2.press and hold power+vol down
3.with the vol buttons highlight fastboot and select it with your power button.
4.connect the device to the computer via usb cable
5.create a new folder and call it android
6.download the first three files and save it to the android folder
7.right click on your android folder while holding shift and select open command window here (3rd or 4th option).
8.in the command window type:
Code:
fastboot oem get_identifier_token
9.you will need to copy the long block of text that is displayed
Right Click > Mark > highlight the block of text > Right click to copy
10.the first line you should highlight should be:
<<<<<Identifier Token Start>>>>>
and end with:
<<<<<Identifier Token End>>>>>
11.paste the text into the token field and then hit submit.
12.you will then get an email with the unlock key and commands to finish the process.
13.once you get the email download the attached .bin file and move to your android folder you created earlier.
14.open the command window (right click+shift, open command window here) and type: Code:
fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
15.you will then see a disclaimer just select yes.
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YOU ARE NOW UNLOCKED!!!!!!

step 2 How to get Recovery

here is a little more details on how to get a recovery onto your phone. there are several ways of doing it. you can use the fastboot command to install recovery or you can use the android flasher program and lastly there is the PC36IMG method. either way, it is pretty simple. i will leave the decision up to you.

various methods to install amon ra 2.3 recovery:

ADB command method
1.download amon ra 2.3 from here:
PC36IMG_RA_2.3.zip
2.extract the file and then go into and move recovery.img file into the android folder you created when unlocking your bootloader.
3.on your phone after you have unlocked your phone you should be in the bootloader menu screen, select the fastboot option
4.on your computer press and hold shift while right clicking the android folder.
5.select open command window here option (windows 7)
6.enter command:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
congrats!!!!!! you have just installed amon ra 2.3

android flasher method
Android Flasher, what is this and how do i use this?

well with android flasher, you can flash radios, your splash screen (that is what the htc white screen is called right before sprint's boot animation), and your recovery. you will need to extract the .img file from the .zip file. in this case i will show you how to install a custom recovery amon ra2.3.

so here is what you will need to do:
1.download android flasher from here:
AF Downloader
2.and extract it to someplace on your desktop where you can find it.
3.next you will need to download amon ra 2.3from here:
PC36IMG_RA_2.3.zip
4.extract the img.file and place it some where you will be able to find it.
5.run android flasher
6.go to the recovery slot and select browse and then navigate to the amon ra .img file
7.select it and then select recovery
8.then1 at the very bottom select flash

congrats!!!!!! you now have amon ra 2.3 installed.

here is the original thread for android flasher:
[UTILITY] Android Flasher 2.2.0.5! (12/12/11) - xda-developers

PC36IMG method
this will depend on what software version you are on.

if you have software version 4.67.651.1 download this file:PC36IMG.zip

if you have software version 5.07.651.1 download this file:
PC36IMG_AmonRA-v2.3-hausmod_revA.zip

1.download the PC36IMG for your software version above.
2.rename the file so that it is only PC36IMG. make sure that you do not add any extra .zip's to the name as windows hides extensions by default.
3.transfer the file to the root (that means not in any folder) of the sd card.
4.power off (you most likely need to uncheck fastboot. settings/apps/uncheck fastboot.) then press and hold power+vol down.
5.hboot should see the file and select yes to update.
6.select no to reboot because we want to go into recovery and make a nandroid backup.
7.select recovery.
8.select backup and restore and select backup
9. select the first three and wimax. the other partitions do not need to be backed up. always keep one nandroid backup with wimax keys backed up on your computer.
10.now you can reboot.
11.using a file manager of some sort or even through your computer via usb, you should rename or delete the PC36IMG file on your card. otherwise you will be asked to update every time you go to the hboot screen. you do not need that file any more.

step 3 flash the su file or flash a rom

if you want to just stay on the stock rom, but you want it rooted then here is what you will need to do(not really sure why you would want to as there are many roms that are waaaaaay better then stock. the latest mikg for example is amazing!!!). the su file is not a rom. it allows access to rooted apps to the system partitions.

stay on stock
you will need the latest su(superapp) found here:
Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip just flash that in recovery and you will have a rooted stock rom:
1.download and move the su file to the root of your sd card that means not in any folder. it just needs to be on your card.
2.go into recovery (power off, make sure fastboot is unabled, and then press and hold power+vol down)
3.select flash zip from sdcard
4.navigate to your su file by using the vol up and down button and select it with the power button.
5.once done, reboot. now you have a rooted stock rom:D
or
flash a rom:
1.first you need the vr superwipe (this is not a rom. this is a file that wipes your sytem partitions and also wipes all the temp files as well:ZZZVR_SUPERWIPE.zip. download it and put it on your card. (optional)*
2.download the rom (i recommend MikG v3.11 [3/9/2012]) of your choice and transfer it to your card.
3.go into recovery
4.make a nandroid backup
5.select wipe from the main menu and wipe dalvik cache, cache, and data
6.select flash zip from sdcard
7.find the superwipe file and select it.(optional)
8.find your rom and select it.
9.reboot.

first boot will take a bit longer then normal, so be patient.

alos in step to is that file pc36 the same file i used in the taco that i ued on my phone

step 2 How to get Recovery

here is a little more details on how to get a recovery onto your phone. there are several ways of doing it. you can use the fastboot command to install recovery or you can use the android flasher program and lastly there is the PC36IMG method. either way, it is pretty simple. i will leave the decision up to you.

actuly guys s orry for all the question guess i did n understand it befor but to me if i am not mistake

the devo meth is almost the same as the taco that i did the only diff is that the boot loader well be marked an s on right

cuz i get ot unleck it so oi can do the thing i need to do then in step to i can put the pc36 file on like i did in the taco and the also in step 2 to the the amon ra as i did when you guys said i should get that an o not say on the other when i di dmy phone

and last question can i do the andriod flasher on my rooted taco phone so i can change the splash screen and things like that if i wanted to

i beleave i asked that before and ocn i bleave you said ti was a bit more complacated than that

not over thinking it just don want any probs then i bee in same oat i am in now
You will never know until you try it.
Just read carefully like you do, and ask when needed, and you'll be fine.
I recommend you start a new thread when you try the HTCdev method and have questions k?:)
As far as linking this thread to that thread, I dont know what that means or how to do it..sorry

Back
Top Bottom