• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting questions/TacoROOT issues

k mikestony you said you had done this htc dev meth right

do i have ot do the step back to back

i mean would or could there be a stoping poing like if i got all the way threw step 1 and stop for the night and then pick up step 2 tomarroww or do i have to go threw all three steps tonight or at same time

k mikestony you said you had done this htc dev meth right

do i have ot do the step back to back

i mean would or could there be a stoping poing like if i got all the way threw step 1 and stop for the night and then pick up step 2 tomarroww or do i have to go threw all three steps tonight or at same time
yes you can stop when done with the HTC dev method, and pick up later at the "get custom recovery" etc

mikestony have a queston again with the taco root.

could the htc sync be a issue with the flash not being instaled or even downloaded properly

oh other say i should start a new thread cuz it is no root meth and topic

then can you answer my othe rquestions

and i have other sdcards from a prevs phone should i try them

how ever i dont think it would make a diff would you like to know what they are

could it just be the phone itself not allowing the change

think i asked this before. but are there any settings or apps or any thing in the phoen that may make a diff

i guess it has been deturmand that the sdcard the file is nto being seen so it has to be the file i keep downloading or the sdcard

cand i check the sdcard like i did with the flash imge can i check it the same way to see if the other file is there would that help deturm what the sissue would be

k and also a question about my phone that you guys help me root is it safe to do any of the udates like

firmware or the profiel or the prl

dont rember seeing in any guide but i could be wrong

oh other say i should start a new thread cuz it is no root meth and topic

then can you answer my othe rquestions

and i have other sdcards from a prevs phone should i try them

how ever i dont think it would make a diff would you like to know what they are

could it just be the phone itself not allowing the change

think i asked this before. but are there any settings or apps or any thing in the phoen that may make a diff
Sure, start a new thread if you like.
Just use the same sd card.
Won't know if its the phone unless you try.

are there any think that i havent tried or doe that you guys can think off
No.

i guess it has been deturmand that the sdcard the file is nto being seen so it has to be the file i keep downloading or the sdcard

cand i check the sdcard like i did with the flash imge can i check it the same way to see if the other file is there would that help deturm what the sissue would be
Not sure what you mean.
Before you do the HTC dev method, I would delete any file used when you did the taco root method.

k and also a question about my phone that you guys help me root is it safe to do any of the udates like

firmware or the profiel or the prl

dont rember seeing in any guide but i could be wrong
Do not accept any OTA updates. You can update your prl now or later if you like.

i mean is there a way to check to see if i can see or check to see if the mtd file is on the sd card like i did with the flash img file when i am in the command window

no what i am asking is this

in post 514 and 515

capt. told me to do this

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike1234
then you said to go go head and do steps 11 and 12

got to 12 again an got the same reply to the step

C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\android>adb shell
# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
/sdcard/flash_image: No such file or directory
#

While in adb shell, issue these commands:
Code:
cd /sdcard
And then:
Code:
ls flash*
Let's see what that gives us.

then you told me this

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike1234
then you said to go go head and do steps 11 and 12

got to 12 again an got the same reply to the step

C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\android>adb shell
# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
/sdcard/flash_image: No such file or directory
#

Well, I see that it does recognize the phone, so that's good.
However, I also see the same error you always get and at that point, I do not know what other advice I can offer, as we have tried all options to find out what's going on.
For some reason, it does not see the flash_image on your sd card.:(
At this point, I personally would try the HTCdev method to see if that will work for your wife's phone.
I honestly do not know what is going on and for that I am sorry.:(
so i am asking that is there any way that i can do that with the mtd file that is placed on the sd card to see if it is there or reconized

k can you please read post 539 and 544 and give me your thought or opions to the questions
o.k...there a 3 steps to root your phone. (simply put)
1. Htcdev method which will unlock your bootloader.
2. Get a custom recovery (there are 3 ways to install a custom recovery)
3. Flash the superuser zip to run for a stock rooted rom.
After that, you are unlocked, s-on, and fully capable of flashing roms, kernels, etc. Limited to certain things you cannot flash in hboot.
If you desire to be fully s-off, you can do the Capt Method at a later time if you wish, but not required.
I just rooted another Evo 4g a couple days ago, it took me 10 minutes to do. Granted I had all the files in the android folder already.
And the guy wanted a stock, rooted rom for now.:)

and on the other suff
You mean as far as when you decide to do the Capt method?
And you are concerned about the same flash and mtd files not working?
That I cannot know and cant answer.
Is there a reason why you desire to be totally s-off? Just curious.

If you are asking me which step to use to install recovery, try the PC36IMG method.

I hope I follow your question sir.;)

well that realy dosent answer my questions her let me try explaining it again

k if i do the dev meth and go threw step one

do you think that the phone might let me do the captions meth even thow i have been haven flash img pros on the sd card ?

nexxt question is on step to wich is this

step 2 How to get Recovery

here is a little more details on how to get a recovery onto your phone. there are several ways of doing it. you can use the fastboot command to install recovery or you can use the android flasher program and lastly there is the PC36IMG method. either way, it is pretty simple. i will leave the decision up to you.

various methods to install amon ra 2.3 recovery:

ADB command method
1.download amon ra 2.3 from here:
PC36IMG_RA_2.3.zip
2.extract the file and then go into and move recovery.img file into the android folder you created when unlocking your bootloader.
3.on your phone after you have unlocked your phone you should be in the bootloader menu screen, select the fastboot option
4.on your computer press and hold shift while right clicking the android folder.
5.select open command window here option (windows 7)
6.enter command:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
congrats!!!!!! you have just installed amon ra 2.3

android flasher method
Android Flasher, what is this and how do i use this?

well with android flasher, you can flash radios, your splash screen (that is what the htc white screen is called right before sprint's boot animation), and your recovery. you will need to extract the .img file from the .zip file. in this case i will show you how to install a custom recovery amon ra2.3.

so here is what you will need to do:
1.download android flasher from here:
AF Downloader
2.and extract it to someplace on your desktop where you can find it.
3.next you will need to download amon ra 2.3from here:
PC36IMG_RA_2.3.zip
4.extract the img.file and place it some where you will be able to find it.
5.run android flasher
6.go to the recovery slot and select browse and then navigate to the amon ra .img file
7.select it and then select recovery
8.then1 at the very bottom select flash

congrats!!!!!! you now have amon ra 2.3 installed.

here is the original thread for android flasher:
[UTILITY] Android Flasher 2.2.0.5! (12/12/11) - xda-developers

PC36IMG method
this will depend on what software version you are on.

if you have software version 4.67.651.1 download this file:PC36IMG.zip

if you have software version 5.07.651.1 download this file:
PC36IMG_AmonRA-v2.3-hausmod_revA.zip

1.download the PC36IMG for your software version above.
2.rename the file so that it is only PC36IMG. make sure that you do not add any extra .zip's to the name as windows hides extensions by default.
3.transfer the file to the root (that means not in any folder) of the sd card.
4.power off (you most likely need to uncheck fastboot. settings/apps/uncheck fastboot.) then press and hold power+vol down.
5.hboot should see the file and select yes to update.
6.select no to reboot because we want to go into recovery and make a nandroid backup.
7.select recovery.
8.select backup and restore and select backup
9. select the first three and wimax. the other partitions do not need to be backed up. always keep one nandroid backup with wimax keys backed up on your computer.
10.now you can reboot.
11.using a file manager of some sort or even through your computer via usb, you should rename or delete the PC36IMG file on your card. otherwise you will be asked to update every time you go to the hboot screen. you do not need that file any more.

is thte pc36ra file the one i used on my phone when i got my phoen rooted and changed out the clock work mod to that file or recovry

not usre if i realy understand the flasher meth on there do i realy need ot do it ?

it sound cool to do because i had hased you guys about changing thows thing and you guys to me it was a bit more involved and realy not to worry about it at this time

so can i do that meth on my cell sets it is already rooted

and the pc36img file that is is talking about is that the same file that i used when i rooted mine

The pc36img file in the guide may be a little different so I would use the one in the guide. not the other one you used on your phone. The flasher method is easy to use also, I just used the PC36IMG method...its easy.
As far as the Capt method giving you issues, maybe, maybe not. I would just use any file in the guide and not any other previous files from other methods.
Better safe than sorry.

If, on your phone you successfully utilized the tacoroot method then your phone is done. No need for Capt method. Your phone is s-off correct?

yes it is that is why i cant fig out why it is nto working on my wifes

the flasher meth so i should not use it on my phone to change like the splash screen and thing ike that

so let me askik this i dont thing i got a answer to yet

it seems like if i fallow the dev meth it seems like the dev meth is a some what brooken down taco meth

Back
Top Bottom