• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The "I received the Htc fps update" thread

I'm rooted with unrevoked3, I tried to apply the patch, but it hung. I will try again when I have more time.

/edit second try, downloaded patch. Patch starts to apply then hangs once the progress bar hits around 30% and display changes to triangle exclamation point icon

Same here...i used unrevoked 3.21....

Got the update last night and thought the home screen swype moved faster, but figured that might be just wishful thinking/placebo effect. I have a game installed, Backgammon, which ran very slowly before the update -- even comments on the app page about how slow the interface was. It zips along great now, so its not just placebo effect. Very pleased.

There is a kernel that I can use for my Fresh Evo 3.2 but it's an old Toast one that only downloads if you use Fresh 1.0. I'm hearing any other kernel breaks things that are heavily "Sensed up" like the camera and contacts and photo gallery. My battery life is insane with Fresh though. I pulled it off the charger before I went to bed and 10 hours later it's only down to 93%. Incredible.

But i'm really jealous of you guys that got this update. If it came down to wanting better battery life (which I have now) or better performance, I think I'd have to have to chose battery. But it's a tough choice lol.

My battery life is insane with Fresh though. I pulled it off the charger before I went to bed and 10 hours later it's only down to 93%. Incredible.

That's actually fairly normal for the stock rom if it's properly configured.

bitchin! this is a great way to start my thursday! i notice the smoother scrolling and my apps organizer windows pop up so much smoother as well. snappy! :D

now let's get this battery charging fixed :p

OK, I got it (and it went in with no problems).

... but as I'd figured, unless you spend all day scrolling thru the app screen or flicking your screen around, this raised cap makes no usable difference with the day-to-day usability of the phone. Sorry.

Really...
I guess you don't bother scrolling through web pages, emails, texts, and other apps on your phone.

For the rest of us, we appreciate the FPS increase.

Took forever to install! I've noticed everything feels "snappier" and like someone said before it feels like a new phone again:)

I'm on an un-rooted 2.2 evo.

I guess you don't bother scrolling through web pages, emails, texts, and other apps on your phone.
Sure I do- but is my phone "OMFG HTC FIX THIS CAPPP!!!1111!!!one!!" better? Hell no.

Like "light leakage", the FPS "issue" was just another you-won't-see-it-unless-you're-looking-for-it thing that only folks in these fora know or care about.

Sure I do- but is my phone "OMFG HTC FIX THIS CAPPP!!!1111!!!one!!" better? Hell no.

Like "light leakage", the FPS "issue" was just another you-won't-see-it-unless-you're-looking-for-it thing that only folks in these fora know or care about.
I'm sure sensitivity to the FPS issue is an individual thing, with certain people/eyes that have greater or less of an ability to perceive the differences.

I will say though that side by side with something like the iPhone 4, the FPS cap was most apparent as the Evo lacked the same liquidy smoothness in scrolling that the iPhone 4 had. Now with the cap lifted, the Evo possesses the same smoothness.

Started update, but then fell asleep waiting for it to finish. Checked the phone this morning and I notice a difference without a doubt. Checked the fps and both tests I did came out at 53!

My last test is if it had a positive effect on videos. I've tried a couple, but they weren't great, so I'll probably take some video while walking to lunch this afternoon.

Anybody else try Pandora after the update yet? If you were having sound quality issues after froyo update.. try it. It seems to be back to pre-froyo sound for me :)

Anyone else having problems after the update? Ever since I updated, the phone's been @ 80-95% CPU usage and it seems to be continually updating something (the icon's been on solid since I updated). I've even tried killing all the apps - nothing seems to help.

Help me! You are my battery's only hope!

You've misunderstood the nature of the "FPS cap." The FPS cap isn't a "performance issue."

There are two independent components for FPS -- the actual graphics processing, and the display. Before, regardless of the processing, the display was being limited to 30 fps. Now that is lifted, so to the extent, our graphics processing can handle more than 30, it will display it.

However, this does nothing for the graphics processing, which the Evo is known to not be the greatest at. The Droid X and Samsung phones have much more advanced 3D processors than the Snapdragon/Evo, and this update does nothing to solve that.

Back
Top Bottom