• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Universal Eris Root for Dummies!

I followed all of the steps word for word, but when I got to running part 2, it kept spitting out lines of errors.

Now when I try to do recovery I just get the android skaters and it sticks there.

Nevermind, I just did it the manual way. Thought it'd be cool to do it on the road.

I want to start off by saying thanks for making this easy. I rooted using this option and then downloaded rom manager after a friend told me about it. I installed clockwork mod and would like to get Amons recovery back. Does anyone know how to do this using this rooting method?

I want to start off by saying thanks for making this easy. I rooted using this option and then downloaded rom manager after a friend told me about it. I installed clockwork mod and would like to get Amons recovery back. Does anyone know how to do this using this rooting method?

donaldb1986,

If you still have all of the files in-place from when you did this before, you should be able to just re-run the root_part1.sh and root_part2.sh scripts in Gscript Lite like you did before.

The root_part1.sh script just re-secures your recovery partition so it can be over-written with Amon_RA's custom recovery by the root_part2.sh script.

After you re-run root_part2.sh, when you boot into recovery, it should take you into Amon_RA's recovery instead of ClockWorkMod's.

Note: all other rules still apply: make sure you have a good charge on your phone, don't flash a new ROM without first making a Nandroid backup, etc. All of erisusers1's instructions are gold and his warnings and notes should always be heeded.

Thanks simply cannot describe my grattitude. I just followed it and now I have root.. which I kind of still don't know what to do with but now I can take my phone to metro pcs and get it flashsed to their network. :D -
I now have options so that's good enough for me.

Hi guys, this is my first post here, I've been reading these forums ever since I got my Eris a few months ago! I followed all of the instructions laid out here, double and triple checked everything, and I am stuck on a boot-loop of the VZW logo and "HTC Quietly Brilliant." I read something about this same exact circumstance earlier in the post, but I couldn't draw any conclusions about how to solve the problem.

Stuff to know:
2.1 OTA + July OTA pre-root
Suave Smash ROM
Used information in this thread to root my device.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if you need any more information let me know :D

Hi guys, this is my first post here, I've been reading these forums ever since I got my Eris a few months ago! I followed all of the instructions laid out here, double and triple checked everything, and I am stuck on a boot-loop of the VZW logo and "HTC Quietly Brilliant." I read something about this same exact circumstance earlier in the post, but I couldn't draw any conclusions about how to solve the problem.

Stuff to know:
2.1 OTA + July OTA pre-root
Suave Smash ROM
Used information in this thread to root my device.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if you need any more information let me know :D

agg009,

Just a few questions:

1. Did you make a Nandroid backup before flashing the new custom ROM?

2. Did you do the wipes before flashing the new custom ROM?

hello, what a totally amazing thread. Yes I have been lurking for months, deciding if and when to take the plunge and root my lil' ol' Eris. I have to say I for the confidence to do so from this thread. I used the "1 click" method and went as smooth as freaking silk. So a huge thanks to the devs as well as all the contributors to this thread. You all rock in my opinion.

Now to figure out how to access a2sd built into PlainjaneT2 v2.0. And yes I partioned and did the ext2 - ext3 thing from recovery, not sure if I missed something or what the deal is. If there is another ROM out there that makes it easier to access, I am game.

Just a huge thanks once again to all of you awesome folks!

I'm now the proud owner of a rooted Eris! The speed is amazing ...

Thank you all for your contributions to the forum. Without questions, there would be no answers!

Erisuser1 - YOU ROCK!

Hey all. Im new to the root scene and wanted to get in on the action.:) I used the method in this thread and had a few hiccups:confused: (forgot to move the PJ rom to the sd root folder). I thought I had bricked my phone.:eek: I had to reboot and it went to stock so I was able to move the rom to the correct folder. I redid all the steps and now have root.:D BTW, I started with the 2.1 that came on phone when I bought it. I downloaded the term emu and at the $ prompt I typed su and got # so I know that I am rooted. THANKS FOR THE DUMMY WRITEUP, cause if it wasnt for that I would still be stock and running out of space on my phone. I have a few things that I would like to find out about.

1) Is there any other way to stop the wifi hotspot app besides using ATK? I press stop tether and it restarts a few seconds later.
2) I dont see anything the the A2SD. That is the MAIN reason that I wanted root and now that I am I cant seem to find it.

Other things I would love your input on are good roms to use and what all goes into putting a different one on now that I am rooted. Any (valid, non flamming) responses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all, EU1:cool: especially for the remarkable tut.

Harmageddon

Did a little searching and I think I found how to get A2SD working. Sorry for the NOOB post...lol

So I did the partition and installed a new app, checked the figures and then uninstalled and it showed that the app was installed to the internal mem and not SD. Can anyone offer any advise as to what else I need to do to make this work. Thanks in advance.

I have rooted my Moto Droid and her phone is now ripe for the picking... She will (hopefully) not know that this was ever done, only that new vistas have been opened up.

She hated the upgrade from 1.6 to 2.1, so anything is possible with her. Hopefully she will be grateful for it and not tear into me. I guess I could always ask for permission first.......

I appologize if this is common knowledge but I'm new to the whole root thing and don't have time to read the entire thread right now... (Thanks for this great tutorial, BTW). :)

Is a wipe required every time you flash a new ROM or do you just flash over the top of the old one? I'd rather not have to set up my phone and re-install all my apps every single time, unless I need to.

I appologize if this is common knowledge but I'm new to the whole root thing and don't have time to read the entire thread right now... (Thanks for this great tutorial, BTW). :)

Is a wipe required every time you flash a new ROM or do you just flash over the top of the old one? I'd rather not have to set up my phone and re-install all my apps every single time, unless I need to.

In general, yes: it is usually the case that you wipe before installing a new ROM.

There are only two exceptions to this:

1) You are upgrading to a new version of the same ROM, and the dev has explicitly indicated that it is safe to "flash over" or "overlay" the new version of the ROM on top of the old one.

2) You are adding an enhancement or "update" package to a ROM.

If you do a nandroid restore from a prior backup, there is no need to do a wipe, as a wipe is built-in to Nandroid restores.

Sorry; it's a pain to configure a fresh ROM install, but there isn't much of a way around that.

my eris got stolen and the insurance sent me one wit hboot 1.59, which from what ive read, was supposedly unrootable. with this method i was able to root. now i just have to find the rom i was using again. i had a normal android 2.1 with superuser. hate that i have to go thru this process over again because i had my phone set up for me perfect, now i gotta go and delete all the stock apps once again.

my eris got stolen and the insurance sent me one wit hboot 1.59, which from what ive read, was supposedly unrootable. with this method i was able to root. now i just have to find the rom i was using again. i had a normal android 2.1 with superuser. hate that i have to go thru this process over again because i had my phone set up for me perfect, now i gotta go and delete all the stock apps once again.

Sorry for your loss.

Some good might come of it though, as it serves to remind people to back up their SD card regularly. If you had that, your hard work would only be an easy root and a Nandroid restore away.

It is a good idea to back up your SD card regularly, not only to guard against loss or theft, but also against media failure or corruption.

Sorry to hear that. :(

edit: sorry, I just realized I had mis-read you post...its what I get for trying to read and reply from my phone instead of my desktop. Apologies again.

eu1 and any other interested parties,

I've updated this thread regarding checking MD5 checksums: http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/138831-verify-your-files-md5-checksums.html

I've created a simple app that you can use to calculate an MD5 or an SHA1 checksum directly on your phone.

Ironically, in the course of developing and testing this, I also realized/discovered you can also use Astro File Manager to see a file's MD5 checksum (i.e., long-press on a file and view details).

Anyway, all of eu1's cautions / information about the appropriateness and value of checking a file's MD5 checksum still apply. I just though that those of you have have checked or do check these things might like to check-out this app.

Thanks.

Just wanted to say thanks for the Universal Eris Root for Dummies.

I've been rooted with the PlainJaneT2V2.0 and overclocking at 768 for a couple of weeks now. Love the options rooting has opened up, especially installing apps to the SD card. The PlainJane ROM could not have been more perfect for this noob.

Thanks again to everyone who's contributed to this thread.

Help a noob, please. Went thru the steps very slow to not miss anything. After running root_part2 i get the congrats you have root message. I turn off phone and try to boot up and it always freezes at the 3 skateboarders screen. I have tried to use the down arrow and end call and then select recovery menu but then get the same lock down at the 3 skateboarders.

Help a noob, please. Went thru the steps very slow to not miss anything. After running root_part2 i get the congrats you have root message. I turn off phone and try to boot up and it always freezes at the 3 skateboarders screen. I have tried to use the down arrow and end call and then select recovery menu but then get the same lock down at the 3 skateboarders.

Are you saying that the phone will not boot at all, or that it hangs only when you try to start the recovery boot with Vol-Up+End/Power ? (There is no reason to believe that this method - if you only perform those first two steps - would keep the pre-existing OS from booting/running correctly)

(BTW, it should normally take about 8-10 seconds after the 3 skateboarding Droids before you see the Amon_RA recovery menu).

If the phone boots the normal OS correctly, then I would repeat both root_part1 and root_part2. Please inspect the output screen in each case for any evidence of unusual error messages.

eu1

PS As the instructions say, you should not be performing root_part2 unless your battery is well charged - say, > 80%

So does this work with all bootloaders. i ask this because I just got my eris replaced. Also how can I see what bootloader i have.

Back
Top Bottom