• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update coming, but not 2.2

good post :)

i agree that if you arent comfortable with doing something like root, then dont do it. i guess a lot of the root crowd at times (i know i do) see a milion threads about complaints that havent been issues for us for awhile and the knee jerk reaction is, "well just do this and get is over with :cool:"

personally i feel root/rom/kernels are really easy but i also consider my self kinda tech savy :)

but very good point that you shouldnt have to hack ur phone to make it usable

I second this. If someone isn't comfortable rooting their phone then they shouldn't mess with it. While it can be very easy if you understand it, it can be rather overwhelming if you don't.

I also agree that there should be no need to hack a phone just to get certain parts working properly.

I second this. If someone isn't comfortable rooting their phone then they shouldn't mess with it. While it can be very easy if you understand it, it can be rather overwhelming if you don't.

I also agree that there should be no need to hack a phone just to get certain parts working properly.
Thats just what Steve Jobs told me ;) right before I jailbroke my ipod touch

We are almost in December and we dont even have the Update that we are getting before Froyo! On this time table I think we are looking at maybe February before we get Froyo.

With all the work i have done on my phone, I may just wait for silverlight and keep my hopped up 2.1 device for awhile. Iam not going to Froyo till the over clock kernals are furnished by the smart guys.

Bwahahah...

Just because you received a build that works fine doesn't mean everyone is just as lucky.

Of course not. We could be talking about cars, snow blowers, spouses or anything in the world; nothing made in great numbers is exactly the same from unit to unit (I have a great spouse unit, btw :D).

Forums attract about 10% of the satisfied users and about 90% of those with issues, so we can read around here and, if uninformed about that fact, falsely surmise that (fill in the blank with an Android device) is a piece of junk.

My Fascinate is flawless, rooted or not, btw. Hey, I guess I'm just a lucky guy with spouses and phones. ;)

60% of statistics are made up :D I would say your 10/90 is probably a poor guess. Just think, many who visit the forums are often those who either have received a phone that mostly/entirely works fine, or they received one that didn't work well and are the type that'll actually get it replaced. Those that are aren't the type that'd visit these forums are also probably the type that either returned the phone for a different one, or they kept it and don't know the wiser.

I was merely pointing out to esn that it'd be stupid to be so blind that the phone has known issues that have plagued many of the devices sold even if his works just fine.

I too agree about your spouse. /runs :eek:

Can a member PM me the info for where to get this on IRC? I have a friend who uses that program a lot and he's going to get it for me so I can root my phone and install it.

Thank you!!!!

Can a member PM me the info for where to get this on IRC? I have a friend who uses that program a lot and he's going to get it for me so I can root my phone and install it.

Thank you!!!!

go to webchat.freenode.net

channel: samsung-fascinate

Thanks!

How big is the filesize and what is the name of the file? Want to give him as much as possible to make sure everything is correct.

You can PM me if need be, thank you.

-Dave

Thanks!

How big is the filesize and what is the name of the file? Want to give him as much as possible to make sure everything is correct.

You can PM me if need be, thank you.

-Dave

the dj05 clean version (version 2) is about 150MB, I'm sure the stock version is just slightly bigger.

Ok, he's on there right now trying to find a place to get it. If you can help me out please tell me anything that'll help him get it.

I have real real limited experience with mIRC.

Thank you.

Thank you!!!!

I would take it 1 step at a time installing root, clockwork recovery, and the the dj05 modem and rom. Doing it all at once unless you are very familiar with this stuff is a recipe for disaster. :o

I will take it one step at a time, just wanting him to get the things off of IRC for me while I'm talking to him(aka while he is available to get it for me)

He said he can't find it.

I will take it one step at a time, just wanting him to get the things off of IRC for me while I'm talking to him(aka while he is available to get it for me)

He said he can't find it.

You have to ask....I'm not on my comp or I would.....if he asks they will direct him to it

He got to the right place but he said everyone is giving him the run around, they must not trust him.lol

Ugh!!!

Yeah kinda depends who is in there.......also its good to introduce yourself first......I'm tempted to not share links sometimes when someone idk pops in and opens with "where is dj05"

Hey guys, got the download finally! Fascinate is rooted and the CWM done, what Kernal is recommended with this "update" this thread speaks of?

Thanks!!!

There is an update in the works right now, but it will be an MR and not 2.2. It will fix a few issues though and I'm told that the signal meter will be one of them.:D

Apparently VZW wants to fix things before they start rolling out Froyo.

I'll post a full list of fixes once I have it.

EDIT:
Ok here is the list of fixes for the update. Pretty nice list.

Software Changes

Guys you'll probably hate me before this is over but I just need to verify a few things

1. What kernel do you suggest?
2. What folder should I stick .APK files in that I want to add(like the google search and news pack off the Rooting for Noob thread, SetCPU, etc)
3. Will "Freezing" my Apps keep them during a ROM/Kernel flash? Just go back in and "Defrost" them? Kind of scared I'm going to lose all my new paid for apps I just purchased.
4. Do I need to do the ROM first or the Kernel first?

Just looking for simple answers, this stuff isn't hard at all as long as you can follow directions.

Thank you all.

-Edit-
Going Voodoo 5 as soon as I get it from IRC. Someone please give me some tips on those other questions above please, don't want to lose my new apps!!!!

Guys you'll probably hate me before this is over but I just need to verify a few things

1. What kernel do you suggest?
2. What folder should I stick .APK files in that I want to add(like the google search and news pack off the Rooting for Noob thread, SetCPU, etc)
3. Will "Freezing" my Apps keep them during a ROM/Kernel flash? Just go back in and "Defrost" them? Kind of scared I'm going to lose all my new paid for apps I just purchased.
4. Do I need to do the ROM first or the Kernel first?

Just looking for simple answers, this stuff isn't hard at all as long as you can follow directions.

Thank you all.

-Edit-
Going Voodoo 5 as soon as I get it from IRC. Someone please give me some tips on those other questions above please, don't want to lose my new apps!!!!
1. Well if you're going voodoo5 grab the latest one
2. You can call it whatever you want. I have a folder on my sdcard called apps and that where I keep my apk's that I might not to reinstall
3. For kernel flashing you dont need to freeze anything, ROM depends on what you have now and what you are going to. Which is a question for you. What do you have now and what are you intending to go to?
4. Doesnt matter really, although it might depend whether you are on DI01 or DJ05, I wasnt sure

Back
Top Bottom