• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] removed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey moon, you've been doing an awesome job with all Rom man. And I'm happy to hear everything went well with ur surgery. But I've been having trouble installing R7 Full and everytime I install it I just get stuck at the Samsung splash screen. I'm currently running pure stock odexed with vae_victus Mg5 RV3, not sure if this info helps, but I've been itching to use ur Rom, any advice to what I can do to get R7 up and running on my phone.

Hey moon, you've been doing an awesome job with all Rom man. And I'm happy to hear everything went well with ur surgery. But I've been having trouble installing R7 Full and everytime I install it I just get stuck at the Samsung splash screen. I'm currently running pure stock odexed with vae_victus Mg5 RV3, not sure if this info helps, but I've been itching to use ur Rom, any advice to what I can do to get R7 up and running on my phone.

Have you tried using the stock kernel? The VaeVictus kernel included in Conquest is the one from the last release of Victorious which I'm told has trouble on some phones. There will be a new kernel option to try out in R8 thanks to TeachMe.

Also make sure you wipe system, cache, and dalvik. I recommend wiping data when installing a full release but that's your choice. Any errors after booting, definitely wipe data also.

I think 7.3 borked screenshots. Just tried taking one and won't work.

Haven't used 7.3 however doing beta testing for 7.5 I can confirm screenshot (power & home) works just fine.

However Moon & I could really use more testers for beta releases so R8 can be a top notch release.

PM Moon for invites.
I'll also try hosting the beta releases once I receive them.

~Civic

Link fixed. Big announcement: there will be no public release for 7.5
7.5 will be my beta test field for 8.0

Finally got the ink effect working. Few more tweaks and tests. Going to shoot a new test build to Civic and anybody else that wants to help test in a few hours or so.

Private messages sent to all volunteers. No more testers will be needed at this point. Please refrain from posting bugs about the next build in the forum, send me a private message instead. Thanks to all!
---------------------------
Current status: Still working on 8.0. Lots of new stuff being put in here makes it easy to mess up (especially the installer scripts).

Theming tweaks, additional included apps, better/more customizable install process...

A test build has been sent (attempted to be sent) to my volunteers, so far it's been more trouble getting the test builds out than I thought it would be, hopefully the kinks will get ironed out in THAT process, though. Testing is going well on my end, though, so hopefully we'll have something to show for it soon.

I had the same issue, but it doesn't matter which kernel I choose. It just hangs when the kernel is loading (with the vaevictus its at the victorious logo). Then the phone reboots and goes into recovery. Can't get past it. Gonna try one more time, maybe 3rd time will be the charm.

Still isn't working. I wiped everything so maybe that's the issue, but I thought that it was required to wipe everything but the cards in order to do the full install.

Still isn't working. I wiped everything so maybe that's the issue, but I thought that it was required to wipe everything but the cards in order to do the full install.

Wiping system,data, cache, and dalvik is recommended. Wiping internal storage is not.

What recovery version are you using?

10/22/2013: R7.4
  • Fixed calendar sync
---------------------------
8.0 testing is going well. As long as testing goes well, should be out by the end of the week.

(Suddenly, a bunch of iPhone emoji appear to defuse the tension) lol in the mean time I can't wait till 8.0 gets done so I can test it out! *crossing fingers* thanks moon for all your work and time! :thumbup:

since this is a closed source rom, i wont be using it.

A closed-source ROM using closed-source sources, legally, without GPL violations that I'm aware of.

On the other hand, you may have a partial point. Moonknight, if you want to avoid falling afoul of GPL, you may want to post any modified source code you've made to the open source components of the system. If all you changed was graphics, then I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Example: For my Nexus 10 ROM, I've posted links to the sources for all of my open source apps. Since I'm also using the closed-source Apex Launcher, I simply say I'm using it with permission.

A closed-source ROM using closed-source sources, legally, without GPL violations that I'm aware of.

On the other hand, you may have a partial point. Moonknight, if you want to avoid falling afoul of GPL, you may want to post any modified source code you've made to the open source components of the system. If all you changed was graphics, then I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Example: For my Nexus 10 ROM, I've posted links to the sources for all of my open source apps. Since I'm also using the closed-source Apex Launcher, I simply say I'm using it with permission.

Sources for my modifications are readily available. You can get them and implement them the same way I did.

Step 1: Pull stock ROM from phone with Android Kitchen.
Step 2: Deodex stock ROM
Step 3: Search the internet for the modification you want to implement
Step 4: READ THE INSTRUCTIONS
Step 5: Decompile appropriate portions of stock ROM with apktool and/or baksmali
Step 6: Implement your modifications (achieved primarily through trial and error)
Step 7: Recompile your modified stock ROM portions with apktool and/or smali
Step 8: Re-sign files as necessary
Step 9: Push to phone
Step 10: Repeat steps 1-9 for additional modifications

I will not post smali files for TouchWiz components. These are Samsung's property and are not open source. Any other open source components have source available through AOSP.

By the way, most of Android is licensed under the Apache license. The kernel is GPL. Apache does not require the release of the source code to enhancements/modifications. I have personally not modified the kernel. I would suggest that anybody looking to push this argument further take a look at the following Ars Technica article.

With all of that out of the way, I work on this ROM for me. Feature requests are welcome and may or may not be implemented. Demands will be ignored. Bug reports with adequate information are appreciated. Uninformative complaints will be ignored. Release date requests will be ignored. Releases will be made when I feel they are ready.
If you don't like something I do, something I implement, or something I don't implement, you're welcome to stop using my ROM and go build your own using the method above. You are welcome to use any parts of my ROM that you'd like.

Enjoy. :-)

I wasn't attempting criticism by any means, Moon, I was just citing examples. I know your work to be excellent and trustworthy, and I do enjoy watching you post updates, even if I don't use it myself. I have a lot of respect for you and your work.

I just felt like being thorough in my response to him.

I wasn't attempting criticism by any means, Moon, I was just citing examples. I know your work to be excellent and trustworthy, and I do enjoy watching you post updates, even if I don't use it myself. I have a lot of respect for you and your work.

I just felt like being thorough in my response to him.

No criticism taken and most of my response wasn't really aimed at you either, other than maybe the Apache licensing info, but even that was really a more general response to the whole "Android is open source so you have to share your changes" issue. What it really boils down to is this: if you make changes to the kernel, you have to publish the source. If you make changes to (essentially) any other part of the Android operating system, you can publish your source but you don't have to.

Wiping system,data, cache, and dalvik is recommended. Wiping internal storage is not.

What recovery version are you using?

I'm using TWRP 2.6.3.0... never had any problems with it. I can normally troubleshoot my way through these kinds of issues with installations and whatnot. Once the weekend rolls around I will attempt this again, from fresh downloads, even though they appeared to be fine (the install process seemed to go off without a hitch).

Just to be thorough... I installed gapps, stock messaging, and tools from the installer.

I'm using TWRP 2.6.3.0... never had any problems with it. I can normally troubleshoot my way through these kinds of issues with installations and whatnot. Once the weekend rolls around I will attempt this again, from fresh downloads, even though they appeared to be fine (the install process seemed to go off without a hitch).

Just to be thorough... I installed gapps, stock messaging, and tools from the installer.

The fact that you got to the Victorious logo with VaeVictus installed says the problem is not likely to be with the kernel. Definitely try a reinstall. Check the MD5 of your completed download against the one on the AFH download page to check for a corrupted download.

Also, if you have not updated to MG5 before installing this ROM, I recommend it. This ROM is based on the MG5 stock ROM, but doesn't include the firmware updates.

It is possible that the installer is failing somewhere. At the end of the installation, the installer will prompt you to "Save logs." This saves a log file into the same folder as the installer zip file and can be useful in troubleshooting installation issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom