• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ZTE ZMAX Pro (Z981) root discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
well ill be hornswoggled and dipped in a turd, these forums do have a squelch button. anyway sorry for the off-topic rant, keep up the good work!! (directed at everyone who is giving freely of their time and effort in the hunt for a root method :) )

in any endeavor (especially a difficult one) there will be naysayers. i just wish i was better at ignoring them :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Am I the only one working on the suggested fastboot SSL? My 1st flash failed cause I used a modded 256gb sdcard ( the phone support up to 125gb and any spec sheet that says 256 lies.) It said due to file size not matching something but I'll report back in a jiffy after I try flash again with a compatible sdcard.. I just swapped the patch and system files from the OTA.. I'm fixing a floor at 2:30 am while I contribute..
IMG_20170104_214722.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Reminder: please treat everyone with courtesy and respect--no attacking other members!

Thread cleanup of off-topic posts will be done at some time for the last 10 or so pages--you guys have gotten waaaaay away from actually discussing methods and ideas for rooting this device.

Please direct your off-topic posts (keeping in mind the first thing I said above) to the off-topic and donate thread counterparts of this thread.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Very interesting, I didn't realize that they let local stores add bloat as well. What sort of thing would the retail location add to a phone? Have you used it? If you have, does the app get installed in the system or user partition? If you have that key, would you be able to get something together with supersu or something and sign to install it to the system side of things?

Seems like that would be too simple though, they have to have thought of that...
My thoughts exactly, but I think I have an idea, I need to talk to Messi though quickly. 401-602-7878 feel free to call me man, I have some gold for you that I don't want to put in the public realm quite yet since supposedly a new patch is coming out any day now. (B14) But could very well be a rumor, I don't need a new patch that makes things harder.

Upvote 0
Am I the only one working on the suggested fastboot SSL? My 1st flash failed cause I used a modded 256gb sdcard ( the phone support up to 125gb and any spec sheet that says 256 lies.) It said due to file size not matching something but I'll report back in a jiffy after I try flash again with a compatible sdcard.. I just swapped the patch and system files from the OTA.. I'm fixing a floor at 2:30 am while I contribute..
View attachment 114300
I unzipped the file awhile ago. I'm just not experienced enough

Upvote 0
But nobody is really opting into those updates are they?? Still on b08 here but b12 offers update via sd. So until further research I'm staying here lol. On a side note my metro version says up to date not sure how I would update to b12
I was on b08 and updated to B12 via sdcard. Even though I updated to B12 it still says this device has never been updated. I'm hoping that I didn't screw myself out of root by upgrading to b12

Upvote 0
But nobody is really opting into those updates are they?? Still on b08 here but b12 offers update via sd. So until further research I'm staying here lol. On a side note my metro version says up to date not sure how I would update to b12
Via recovery.. put on external sd root dir. Change the name to update.zip then flash it. There's a hard copy of the OTA a few pages back..

Upvote 0
It will always say the device has not been updated after a "B" update on ZTE and this is a known glitch. Any "B" update on Metro includes a signing key that has been modified by Metro at the carrier level. I am still talking to my people/ ZTE's people from Metro to try and get somewhere, I think swapping system and user partitions on the update.zip for the A7 is a good direction. Also, people.. please stop posting what % kingroot gets to. I can make it say 100% by rollling my clock back by 20 seconds. (manually setting time) which means that is not a real progress bar.

Upvote 0
Alright guys, let's try this one, last, time:

1. Be polite and respectful--personal attacks are not permitted at any time for any circumstance

2. Stay on-topic: that means useful posts about rooting this device

3. Everything else goes elsewhere (such as the off-topic-root-discussion thread)

It's getting to be quite onerous to move these off-topic posts, so I'm leaning towards just removing them...

Repeat offenders to the above may find that they will no longer be allowed to post in this thread...

Thanks for your cooperation.

:)

Upvote 0
So since KingRoot is actually acting as though it at least tries to process root again, I've tried overloading my memory (like I had to do my last ZTE device) to see if maybe it would root through the memory glitch, but still no luck. Only gets to 73% before failing. Which is awesome compared to the 20% or less I was getting before. I will attempt to see if maybe I can get a friend of mine to see it the axon bootloader zip can be modified, or at least have the stuff stripped out that we can't use and see if we get anywhere that way. He also has the ZMAX pro, but doesn't involve himself in Android development communities because he says he really doesn't have time, but he's one of the smartest people I know. Also, if anyone can reach out to chainfire or jcase from XDA, that might get us some help going as well seeing as how there is a bounty thread started up for whoever finds root to this phone. I'm sure between Messi and those guys, someone will crack the code, so to speak...

Reactions: cyanidekid
Upvote 0
Didnt that axon bootloader zip come from zte wouldn't it be signed with a different signing key if modded for our device we would have to change the keys to match our device
I have an idea of where the keys for OTA updates are stored in recovery (got the info from the AOSP site) but I haven't found a way to pull recovery without root

I also tweeted to the CEO of T-Mobile asking if he can request ZTE to allow the bootloader to be unlocked, I don't know if he'll notice it tho.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones