• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 1 Click root app on the market

When I click "root now" it sends back: "your device is already rooted"

However, I can't get root privileges.

I rooted prior to the froyo update using 1-click androot, and it left a superuser permissions icon in my app drawer. However, it does nothing and doesn't give me root privileges.

Help? I think this is interfering with Visionary working correctly.

When I click "root now" it sends back: "your device is already rooted"

However, I can't get root privileges.

I rooted prior to the froyo update using 1-click androot, and it left a superuser permissions icon in my app drawer. However, it does nothing and doesn't give me root privileges.

Help? I think this is interfering with Visionary working correctly.

Check root on boot box and reboot your device. You should get a message on boot that says device is already rooted and be good to go. Worked for me anyways.

GMB

Check root on boot box and reboot your device. You should get a message on boot that says device is already rooted and be good to go. Worked for me anyways.

GMB

I tried that, but the phone just boots up normally. It does not try to root on boot.

Did you have the same problem as I did (i.e. where clicking on "root now" sends back "you are already rooted" without doing anything)?

If it helps, here is what happened before:

I rooted via one-click androot on 2.1. Everything worked (wireless tether, root explorer, etc.)
I updated to Froyo
Wireless tether, root explorer, etc. stopped working; all the icons were still in my drawer (still have superuser permissions icon although it does nothing)

Also, i had to delete koush's bootstrap recovery method to be able to update to froyo. There was some method posted here where I used root explorer to delete or rename two files.

Can anyone help me root?

Try reinstalling super user?

GMB

When I try uninstalling Superuser, it just says "uninstall not successful"

However, it allows me to update to a newer version. After I do that, it allows me to uninstall superuser, but after the uninstall finishes, it leaves a superuser icon in my drawer. That is the same superuser that won't uninstall.

So the "old" superuser app is always stuck in my drawer and it fails to uninstall, but the "updated" superuser app uninstalls.

UPDATE:

Nevermind. I used the Z4root method instead (search market for z4root) and everything worked. Superuser app working again too.

Thanks for all the help! ;)

When I try uninstalling Superuser, it just says "uninstall not successful"

However, it allows me to update to a newer version. After I do that, it allows me to uninstall superuser, but after the uninstall finishes, it leaves a superuser icon in my drawer. That is the same superuser that won't uninstall.

So the "old" superuser app is always stuck in my drawer and it fails to uninstall, but the "updated" superuser app uninstalls.

The superuser that is showing up in your app drawer is a system app which you cant remove without root access. The reason it isnt working is because the update process changed the permissions on the su binary. Probably the one click apps are just seeing superuser so they think you are rooted even though you arent.

I would try one of the pc based 1 click apps they are more likely to work in this situation. If that doesnt work you can always do it the old fashioned way with ADB. I created a thread on how to do that a while ago. If you go that route and need help just pm me.

Ok, noobie lurker here...

I have a bone-stock DX on 2.2 OTA. If I just run Z4root on my phone, it'll be rooted? It works on the 2.2 OTA?

ok im rooted now that they made it so easy just a few questions

i removed bloatware using titanium, now i want to deodex so i can get a black notification bar lol but are there mac instructions?

How long does this usually take? Mine has been trying to root for about 5 minutes...just a spinning wheel and says "running exploit in order to obtain root."

Edit- Nevermind..for some reason I had to do a battery pull and tried it again and it worked perfect.

I just wanted to say that I tested this app out and it worked quickly and flawlessly. I had been previously rooted by the doroot.bat file via Computer. I UNrooted with z4, had to reboot and it worked fine to re-root me. I did this twice.

I then SBF'd just to test it. Worked quickly and like a charm. You just have to make sure debugging is checked. ;) (Missed that the first time after I Sbf'd hehe)

So, I did all that and now I'm back into my ApeX backup. I did this because I help root newbies a lot. I needed to confirm that it works well and it did for me.

I just wanted to say that I tested this app out and it worked quickly and flawlessly. I had been previously rooted by the doroot.bat file via Computer. I UNrooted with z4, had to reboot and it worked fine to re-root me. I did this twice.

I then SBF'd just to test it. Worked quickly and like a charm. You just have to make sure debugging is checked. ;) (Missed that the first time after I Sbf'd hehe)

So, I did all that and now I'm back into my ApeX backup. I did this because I help root newbies a lot. I needed to confirm that it works well and it did for me.

Thanks for this post! I'm one of those newbies you help!. When you unrooted via z4root, what did it go back to - i.e. regular 2.2 or 2.1? I rooted with the VISIONary app. Thinking about unrooting, 1, to see if I can do it and 2, so I know I can get back to a start point if I deodex, or flash a rom. All i've done so far is the wireless wifi (which I can't live without). Also, don't we need to be unrooted IF motorola does that update they mentioned (then apparently forgot about)??

1) The app will indeed unroot you and you will be left with an unrooted rom that you already have, which is likely 2.2 in your case. The unrooting has nothing to do with changing the rom that you are already on.

2) You don't need to unroot to get the ota update. You just need to make sure that you have not deleted any of the system bloatware, like blockbuster, citiID, etc., which it sounds like you haven't done.

Finally, feel free to ask questions. If I don't see it or if no one answers, feel free to PM me. (I'll just ask GrandMasterB. He knows everything... everything, that is, except the obvious stuff. jk.. inside joke.)

All I want root for is the wireless tether for root app that said do I understand right that the one click root method can unroot if needed as long as you do delete any of the bloatware correct.

Back
Top Bottom