• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 2.3 OTA Update w/ Rooted EVO vs an Unrooted Evo

Calm down. We are here to help everyone...including you. As I recall you have had quite a few confirmation/request posts lately ;)

Looks like I didn't miss much here today. Going to check out xda now.

Update on radios and pri....the are working well. Battery life is good signal strength and speeds are noticeably better when in a good tower area. I was really hoping this would fix whatever issue there is with 3g at my work but no :(

Exactly 1 year now and still no fix for those out towers :(

Yeah I'm getting better battery life than I have in a long time with the new radios and kernel. Still using vzw prl. Tried 01115 today, still sucked. I'm on the synergy rom from myn and virus thats still in alpha btw

Look at lesawag getting her forum guru on!

Yes the hboot updated with that update and we don't have an exploit for that boot loader yet. Sorry bud.

Look at lesawag getting her forum guru on!

Yes the hboot updated with that update and we don't have an exploit for that boot loader yet. Sorry bud.

Thus the reasoning behind telling root users to NOT accept the OTA update. Those that did are stuck either with a stock phone or a non functional one if the update took at all.

Thus the reasoning behind telling root users to NOT accept the OTA update. Those that did are stuck either with a stock phone or a non functional one if the update took at all.

Well he was temp root user so he just still has a locked phone....

I finally got the nerve up and did this just now. :D I had CWM installed but when I went into recovery, I wasn't sure what to wipe because the settings weren't clear to me, so I went into ROM Manager and flashed to Amon RA and it was a piece of cake. My phone seems awfully laggy but maybe it's because it's still trying to settle down.

First things I noticed were the clock flip, the Gmail icon in the status bar is different and FINALLY my location in Latitude is right! I've been showing at the beach, which is a good hour away for the last 2 months. I was wondering if it was because I'm using an Airvana.

Looks like Shoot Me and the WiMax notifier need SU access but they work fine (I had read this update killed both). I also thought I had read somewhere that the home screen would go to landscape mode, but mine is not doing it. :(

Looking forward to seeing if my battery will improve as others' has. Thanks to AF and XDA for all the help/guidance. Y'all are the best! :D

I finally got the nerve up and did this just now. :D I had CWM installed but when I went into recovery, I wasn't sure what to wipe because the settings weren't clear to me, so I went into ROM Manager and flashed to Amon RA and it was a piece of cake. My phone seems awfully laggy but maybe it's because it's still trying to settle down.

First things I noticed were the clock flip, the Gmail icon in the status bar is different and FINALLY my location in Latitude is right! I've been showing at the beach, which is a good hour away for the last 2 months. I was wondering if it was because I'm using an Airvana.

Looks like Shoot Me and the WiMax notifier need SU access but they work fine (I had read this update killed both). I also thought I had read somewhere that the home screen would go to landscape mode, but mine is not doing it. :(

Looking forward to seeing if my battery will improve as others' has. Thanks to AF and XDA for all the help/guidance. Y'all are the best! :D

Some roms will go landscape, actually it seems most custom roms that aren't 2.2/sense 1 will go landscape on the home screen

Some roms will go landscape, actually it seems most custom roms that aren't 2.2/sense 1 will go landscape on the home screen

Maybe I read where the newer GB would do this? I don't know, I've done a LOT of reading in the last 2 days.

Also, wasn't it said somewhere that the profile widget is gone? Mine's not, just had to go back in and put it back on the screen...same with the ringer widget.

Maybe I read where the newer GB would do this? I don't know, I've done a LOT of reading in the last 2 days.

Also, wasn't it said somewhere that the profile widget is gone? Mine's not, just had to go back in and put it back on the screen...same with the ringer widget.

I read that too but mine exists and I use it...

Well gb like cyanogen goes landscape and gb shift ports go landscape with a modded rosie, z ports go landscape but stock gb is no go for landscape...

Followed the instructions and everything worked! I 'accidentally' flashed the ROM twice and yet everything rebooted to factory settings, but with 2.3.3. No problems with the phone (have my 4G, phone use, messaging, etc.). It'll be a moment to reset it back to what I had on it, but didn't have much on it to want to utilize TB.

Questions: I was told that 2.3 improves battery life. Has anyone experienced improved better battery life? Does that apply to a rooted ROM? Or should I change to a different ROM or just freeze the bloatware?

Anyway, thank you all who have helped with keeping me from freaking out with updating!

I learned what I know from the best teachers. ;)

Someone has to pick up my slack :) I've been almost non existent here lately just too busy.

Also seriously contemplating 3d soon...

The only questions I answer anymore are ones that can be answered in 3 words lol

Followed the instructions and everything worked! I 'accidentally' flashed the ROM twice and yet everything rebooted to factory settings, but with 2.3.3. No problems with the phone (have my 4G, phone use, messaging, etc.). It'll be a moment to reset it back to what I had on it, but didn't have much on it to want to utilize TB.

Questions: I was told that 2.3 improves battery life. Has anyone experienced improved better battery life? Does that apply to a rooted ROM? Or should I change to a different ROM or just freeze the bloatware?

Anyway, thank you all who have helped with keeping me from freaking out with updating!

my battery life so far is a bit better then when i was last on a stock kernel. i cant wait til the devs for netarchy toastmod comes out with a newr version that will incorporate the latest stock kernel. should really help with battery life, hopefully.

I flashed the Rom & everything is great. I then tried flashing the radios but hboot doesn't find the file, tried going into hboot 5 times and nothing. I even renamed the file and still nothing. Any suggestions

make sure that you name it correctly. it has to be PC36IMG. if you are using windows, do not add an ".zip" to the name as windows hides extensions. otherwise it will look like this: "PC36IMG.zip.zip" which hboot will not see it. also make sure that the file is on the root(not in any folder) of the sd card.

Did that and the hboot screen just cycles thru the 2 second reading of the sd card like normal and that's it, then i can choose reboot or recovery.

I flashed the Rom & everything is great. I then tried flashing the radios but hboot doesn't find the file, tried going into hboot 5 times and nothing. I even renamed the file and still nothing. Any suggestions
Check to make sure that when you renamed the file, you didn't actually end up with "PC36IMG.zip.zip". Windows adds the extension by default, you don't need to.

i cant wait til the devs for netarchy toastmod comes out with a newr version that will incorporate the latest stock kernel. should really help with battery life, hopefully.

Same here...my battery life is not that bad as well, but nothing like it was with the netarchy toastmod.

Has anyone else noticed their GPS turning off automatically after the update? The widget still shows it's on, but the icon on the top of the screen is the target symbol with the line through it. All I did was just turn the widget off and then back on again and I get the GPS signal again.

Another issue is the phone won't seem to go to sleep...the screen dims but it doesn't go black when the phone is just sitting there. My screen time out is set at 2 minutes and I can't seem to figure out what else to do.

So, if I were to download the rooted Gingerbread update, would it get rid of my apps? I'm rooted with the stock 2.2 rom, and I don't want my Apps erased.

So, if I were to download the rooted Gingerbread update, would it get rid of my apps? I'm rooted with the stock 2.2 rom, and I don't want my Apps erased.

welcome to the forums!!!!!
you can use titanium backup to backup your apps. then make a nandroid backup and flash the current OTA, download titanium backup and restore your apps. when you do a restore of your apps, just be careful and not resore any system data. if you do you may get bits of your old rom in with the new and create a lot of errors and force closures of apps and such.

My battery life has gotten ridiculous after the update, I mean, I'm going to grow old waiting for the battery to need charging. I'm using a rooted stock ROM, and haven't frozen any bloatware... yet.

I should also say, however, that I updated my radios at the same time, so some/all of the improvement might have been a result of that and not the update to GingerBread.

Is anyone having problems with the white HTC screen after exiting apps? It's a deal breaker for me. Am I the only one? Whenever I'm in an app, I hit the back button and that screen comes up and reloads my widgets every dang time! It's annoying.

Is anyone having problems with the white HTC screen after exiting apps? It's a deal breaker for me. Am I the only one? Whenever I'm in an app, I hit the back button and that screen comes up and reloads my widgets every dang time! It's annoying.

You might try and go to recovery and wipe davlik-cache and cache then reboot to see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom