• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 2.3 OTA Update w/ Rooted EVO vs an Unrooted Evo

Anybody else having problems with the brightness using this ROM? Whether I set it to auto brightness or set it manually, it seems stuck in its brightest setting.

Anybody else having problems with the brightness using this ROM? Whether I set it to auto brightness or set it manually, it seems stuck in its brightest setting.

first off welcome to the forums!!!!
i would try and wipe dalvik cache and cache again and see if that helps.

try titanium backup never had any issues with it. never tried bloat freezer.
I liked it. It was 99 cents and you could freeze anything you wanted and it wouldnt show up on your list. Titanium Backup is too expensive for what it is and the free version doesnt allow you to freeze them.

At the time I rooted TB wouldnt even open just Fc. So I installed Bloat Freezer because of that.

So when I tossed around unrooting my phone I relflashed the S-On tool for unrevoked. I think that may be why I cant uninstall or freeze apps. Is there any way to reflash the s-off without rerooting? (Which isn't possible as of yet)

I got the ROM installed and... pffft. The differences are truly underwhelming. I might even go back to Fresh 3.5.0.1.

Indeed. The radio price and kernel will be beneficial to the devs....other than that its a decent update for a stock user.

Those of us using custom rons wont reap the benefits until mik virus fresh ect cook us something new

Under the Application settings in the new ROM there is the Fastboot option. If you turn this off and then restart you can get to hBoot with out having to pull the battery.

Excellent, thanks for the tip.

Coming from a rooted stock ROM user I am enjoying the speed of 2.3 so far. The one thing I do miss is the battery life I got out of my previous kernel, I am tossing around the idea of flashing that kernel back but I am unsure it will even work with 2.3.

There is NO need to wipe anything when flashing the radios, not needed;)

Hell, I only even wiped just Dalvik when flashing the ROM. It was great I didn't have to reset anything back up after the restart...everything was just the way I left it before the flash.

I got the ROM installed and... pffft. The differences are truly underwhelming. I might even go back to Fresh 3.5.0.1.

Dude it's worth it for the speed just alone, don't go back...lets see what the future holds for this new ROM & kernel.

ever sunce the update, i can no longer temp root with visionary or z4root...i still have the SU but when i try to tenp root my phone freezes...any suggestions?

I'm realizing now that I forgot to "defrost" my frozen Sprint apps in Titanium Backup before applying the rooted OTA. Are there any informed thoughts on whether this is a problem and I should go back to my nandroid and do everything over from scratch?

I'm realizing now that I forgot to "defrost" my frozen Sprint apps in Titanium Backup before applying the rooted OTA. Are there any informed thoughts on whether this is a problem and I should go back to my nandroid and do everything over from scratch?

As far as flashing the rooted stock 2.3 rom, I doubt it if would affect anything. The OTA update requires different things than flashing the rooted rom does. If you have any issues you might have to do a complete wipe and reflash it but I doubt you will have issues related to frozen apps.

Those of you that can't get to recovery and fastboot trytthe quickboot app. As.for will this radio work.........yes..on any rom. I typically try multiple radios on any given rom to see whic works best. So far this new radio is stellar on Ginger ale

Virus' zip of the radios is flashable through recovery fyi

Or just go to settings applications and unclick fastboost.. better getting used to doing things manually.. so you get the hang of Shit...

Go on YouTube and search threads..

Calm down. We are here to help everyone...including you. As I recall you have had quite a few confirmation/request posts lately ;)

Looks like I didn't miss much here today. Going to check out xda now.

Update on radios and pri....the are working well. Battery life is good signal strength and speeds are noticeably better when in a good tower area. I was really hoping this would fix whatever issue there is with 3g at my work but no :(

Exactly 1 year now and still no fix for those out towers :(

If you used the update, you will have to wait for the developers to unlock the new hboot. That's why you can not root now. Hopefully you will not have to wait more than a couple of weeks, but I've also read it could take much longer.

Back
Top Bottom