• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 2.3 OTA Update w/ Rooted EVO vs an Unrooted Evo

Is anyone having problems with the white HTC screen after exiting apps? It's a deal breaker for me. Am I the only one? Whenever I'm in an app, I hit the back button and that screen comes up and reloads my widgets every dang time! It's annoying.

If the problem persists even after you've wiped cache/dalvik cache, a full wipe and reflashing the ROM may not be a bad idea.

You might try and go to recovery and wipe davlik-cache and cache then reboot to see if that helps.
I think that fixed it. I wiped those before I flashed and wiped davlik afterwards but I guess that wasn't enough. Thanks! Your knowledge here is awesome! :D

Oh, and glad I remembered to uncheck the fastboot because I was unable to get into recovery with it checked. :p

If the problem persists even after you've wiped cache/dalvik cache, a full wipe and reflashing the ROM may not be a bad idea.

Frenchy is that full wipe like a factory reset, where it will delete everything and I'd have to start over installing things from scratch? I'm still trying to get all the terms down. :)

Frenchy is that full wipe like a factory reset, where it will delete everything and I'd have to start over installing things from scratch? I'm still trying to get all the terms down. :)

A full wipe in recovery deletes everything on your phone except the bootloader(hboot screen) and recovery. Factory reset just deletes user data and apps and returns it to a fresh flashed state.

so can you get to the hboot(bootloader) screen? pull the battery and then press and hold power+vol down. report back with what you see there on the screen if you can.

Thank you all very much, I finally got the radios updated. I kept trying to rename the file but it was the dot on the end that was causing the problem, so I took off the dot on the end moved it to the phone and hboot found it and updated it.

Thank you all very much, I finally got the radios updated. I kept trying to rename the file but it was the dot on the end that was causing the problem, so I took off the dot on the end moved it to the phone and hboot found it and updated it.

Glad you got it!

Good job.

just another reminder..there is a flashable zip out there of the radios/pri...

much easier than the renaming mess you guys are going through.

hi,
i recently went on to my nandroid back up of my original sense stock rom. i updated my radios and all, and when i went back to go into recovery mode, it wouldn't allow me. an image of a phone with a green arrow pointing into it was all that appeared. i did some reading and i discovered that maybe i un-rooted my phone and now there is no way back to rooting it since the hboot is uncompatible with the unrevoked root method. any suggestions to that can reverse the effect, or what i can do from here? i am completely lost. Thank you

p.s. i know i am un-rooted because i used busybox installer to check, and it confirmed i was not rooted.

hi,
i recently went on to my nandroid back up of my original sense stock rom. i updated my radios and all, and when i went back to go into recovery mode, it wouldn't allow me. an image of a phone with a green arrow pointing into it was all that appeared. i did some reading and i discovered that maybe i un-rooted my phone and now there is no way back to rooting it since the hboot is uncompatible with the unrevoked root method. any suggestions to that can reverse the effect, or what i can do from here? i am completely lost. Thank you

p.s. i know i am un-rooted because i used busybox installer to check, and it confirmed i was not rooted.

Did you accept the OTA? What hboot version do you currently have? Does it show s-on or s-off in hboot?

With all that is being said about this update... Is it really worth it? should I do it or stay with froyo and wait for the other update? has anyone wished that they didn't upgrade?:) And does your phone stay rooted or does that go away too??

With all that is being said about this update... Is it really worth it? should I do it or stay with froyo and wait for the other update? has anyone wished that they didn't upgrade?:) And does your phone stay rooted or does that go away too??

Do NOT accept the OTA if you are rooted! From my understanding there are some fixes in this update. You do not need to unroot or risk losing root to get the update. There are rooted stock roms available that do not affect your hboot or root. Here is the link to xda where the files can be downloaded: [ROM][STOCK] --- Version 4.22.651.2 --- odexed & deodexed --- - xda-developers

I am not sure that there will be another update for the Evo. With the 3D coming out and new phones around the corner, this may be it from HTC. The devs though I am sure will continue to support the Evo and bring new projects to it.

i am assuming i did accept it. i am on hboot-2.16.0001 and it shows s-off

If you have s-off, you may be able to replace your recover manually. You will likely not be able to restore a nandroid though as your hboot has changed. You will have to flash a rooted rom or custom rom and reset it. You can find instructions and recovery files here: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/259446-clockwork-amon-ra-pc36img-files.html

Amon RA 2.3 is the choice of most of us. It is stable and does a good job of wiping. If you chose CWM, go with 2.6.0.1 as it support both scripts used to write roms.

Is your phone usable or is it not booting at all?

Do NOT accept the OTA if you are rooted! From my understanding there are some fixes in this update. You do not need to unroot or risk losing root to get the update. There are rooted stock roms available that do not affect your hboot or root. Here is the link to xda where the files can be downloaded: [ROM][STOCK] --- Version 4.22.651.2 --- odexed & deodexed --- - xda-developers

I am not sure that there will be another update for the Evo. With the 3D coming out and new phones around the corner, this may be it from HTC. The devs though I am sure will continue to support the Evo and bring new projects to it.

Yeah I know not to accept the ota, thanks. But just wondering if it is worth doing anything at all.

If you have s-off, you may be able to replace your recover manually. You will likely not be able to restore a nandroid though as your hboot has changed. You will have to flash a rooted rom or custom rom and reset it. You can find instructions and recovery files here: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/259446-clockwork-amon-ra-pc36img-files.html

Amon RA 2.3 is the choice of most of us. It is stable and does a good job of wiping. If you chose CWM, go with 2.6.0.1 as it support both scripts used to write roms.

Is your phone usable or is it not booting at all?

yes it is booting. everything is working fine. its just that i am unrooted now and wan't my old rom back. hahaha i miss miui!!!!!

Yeah I know not to accept the ota, thanks. But just wondering if it is worth doing anything at all.

I have heard that battery life is improved and it is smoother than 2.2. I have not flashed it so can not verify it. Make a nandroid, flash it and try it out. If you don't like it, restore your nandroid. Part of the joy of rooted phones :D

yes it is booting. everything is working fine. its just that i am unrooted now and wan't my old rom back. hahaha i miss miui!!!!!

You are not unrooted if you s-off. Your rom is not rooted that is why busybox checker said you aren't. You should be able to flash a custom recovery and then flash the rom of your choice. I would try the recovery from the link I gave you and go from there.

so can you get to the hboot(bootloader) screen? pull the battery and then press and hold power+vol down. report back with what you see there on the screen if you can.

Here is what shows on the screen when I do that:

Supersonic RVIS-3 SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT-2.10.0001
MICROP -041F
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-2.15.00.11.19
OCT. 15 2010.12:07:00

HBOOT
<VOL UP> to preview item
<VOL DOWN> to next item
<POWER> to select item

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK
HBOOT USB

there has been no confirmation but there is a rumor floating around that this update was only to prepare for the next which will come in a few weeks.

again..RUMOR...I am working on confirmation

Back
Top Bottom