• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 2.3 OTA Update w/ Rooted EVO vs an Unrooted Evo

I believe that the OTA updates are set up to work around your current data and settings IF you are on the stock rom. If you are not, then I would think a full wipe will be necessary to avoid any possible issues.

Deciding to unroot, and update..then unrevoke3 it back..won't work when you unroot get pushed back to when evo first came out and then have to do two updates to get back to where you were before you rooted with unrev3..then crossroads time..left you take update and wait..for who knows how long for exploit..take a right and root unrev.then your stuck in the same place as before..loose your apps, data, and patience.. lot of work for nothing...unless you have some kind of hacker divine intervention from God...

I could be wrong, but I don't think I've ever seen an OTA of an OS version upgrade that did not wipe the phone, or a rooted substitute that didn't need one. Am I mistaken?

Didn't mean to contradict you, and you may be absolutely right and my memory may be failing me, but allow me to clarify:

In most instances, a factory data reset IS required. Or, the new ROM is designed to wipe your data to ensure a successful install, so you have no say in the matter. However, official OTA updates were designed to protect your data. After all, imagine the amount of complaints Sprint and/or HTC would get if someone accepts an OTA update and all their data is wiped out!!! Is there a warning associated with the OTA preparing the user for this wipe?

That said, the FroYo OTA caused a lot of problems, which ultimately got fixed with the user doing a factory data reset and rebuilding their data from scratch. I blame a poorly designed OTA for that. I thought I was able to update to FroYo and have my data preserved, but I could be remembering incorrectly. But I had huge battery drain, so ultimately, I wiped and rebuilt my data.

For sure, I was able to flash the rooted version of 2.2 build 3.29.x and 3.70.x without needing to do a wipe. and my data was perfectly intact. But to your point, this is a major version upgrade 2.2 --> 2.3. So same rules may not apply.

So... be prepared that you might need to ultimately wipe the phone and rebuild. But I would definitely try to flash the rooted ROM without wiping first to see if it works. As long as you did a NANDroid backup, you can flash without fear :)

I believe that the OTA updates are set up to work around your current data and settings IF you are on the stock rom. If you are not, then I would think a full wipe will be necessary to avoid any possible issues.

This rings a bell. Going from rooted stock to updated rooted stock may preserve the data, since the new ROM expects a stock configuration. If you're running a custom ROM, you will have to wipe.

This rings a bell. Going from rooted stock to updated rooted stock may preserve the data, since the new ROM expects a stock configuration. If you're running a custom ROM, you will have to wipe.

lol..didn't I already say that.

for those that asked...straight AOSP roms are not the only GB roms out there. As a matter of fact GingerAleV2 is one of the most complete gb and sense 2.1 with a tad of 3.0 roms out right now and what I use daily with no issues.

I would however hold off..as antsy as everyone is WAIT until these guys tweak what they have with the new kernel. I will most likely try the new radios when I leave and see what it does for signal/4g improvement....but other than that..calm down and wait haha

Didn't mean to contradict you, and you may be absolutely right and my memory may be failing me, but allow me to clarify:

In most instances, a factory data reset IS required. Or, the new ROM is designed to wipe your data to ensure a successful install, so you have no say in the matter. However, official OTA updates were designed to protect your data. After all, imagine the amount of complaints Sprint and/or HTC would get if someone accepts an OTA update and all their data is wiped out!!! Is there a warning associated with the OTA preparing the user for this wipe?

That said, the FroYo OTA caused a lot of problems, which ultimately got fixed with the user doing a factory data reset and rebuilding their data from scratch. I blame a poorly designed OTA for that. I thought I was able to update to FroYo and have my data preserved, but I could be remembering incorrectly. But I had huge battery drain, so ultimately, I wiped and rebuilt my data.

For sure, I was able to flash the rooted version of 2.2 build 3.29.x and 3.70.x without needing to do a wipe. and my data was perfectly intact. But to your point, this is a major version upgrade 2.2 --> 2.3. So same rules may not apply.

So... be prepared that you might need to ultimately wipe the phone and rebuild. But I would definitely try to flash the rooted ROM without wiping first to see if it works. As long as you did a NANDroid backup, you can flash without fear :)
I'm speaking if you have urevoked3 and have not flashed anything..
if u root and then unroot..you go back to HTC sense Rom...2.2).you can recover frozen or deleted system..apps like blockbuster and etc..and v card contacts..market only saves purchased apps... backed up apps from astro..file expert etc..will only install third party or available ones on market..and tb..will not work in uprooted phone..so I was stating..at that point u need to recover what you can..either update OTA to 2.3..or root again on unrevoked3..And wait like we have been doing..if you accept new OTA 2.3 while rooted you are not bricked its a hassle to get back to before..if you unroot, and update..u need for another exploit..and who knows how soon there will be one click root with these...

Awesome. Wasn't a long wait at all :)

Updating the sticky thread. Thanks delta - TKO (not del taco)!

No problem, now if they would just bring out the 3D i can get back to working. I can't believe I still have a job because all I do all day is look at various forums trying to find anything new lol.

I'm speaking if you have urevoked3 and have not flashed anything..
if u root and then unroot..you go back to HTC sense Rom...2.2).you can recover frozen or deleted system..apps like blockbuster and etc..and v card contacts..market only saves purchased apps... backed up apps from astro..file expert etc..will only install third party or available ones on market..and tb..will not work in uprooted phone..so I was stating..at that point u need to recover what you can..either update OTA to 2.3..or root again on unrevoked3..And wait like we have been doing..if you accept new OTA 2.3 while rooted you are not bricked its a hassle to get back to before..if you unroot, and update..u need for another exploit..and who knows how soon there will be one click root with these...

this is now irrelevant..the stock rooted rom was posted just minutes ago.

in this case you mention (stock rom, rooted)

NANDROID BACKUP, wipe dalvik, wip cache, flash the rom posted above in that link

There is now NO reason to unroot, update and root other than for someone to test to see if root can be gained afterwards

Final public service announcement (PSA):

Do a NANDroid backup of your current ROM before flashing the new rooted OTA ROM!!!

For quick reference in case you don't know how, or forgot how:

1) Power off phone. wait for it to completely shut off and then wait 15 more seconds.
2) hold down power + vol-down buttons together until the white HBOOT screen appears
3) choose "Recovery"

Phone now boots into recovery. Some people will have clockworkmod recovery. Others will have RA recovery. Use the menus to find backup options.

I don't have time nandroid and flash right now; is it Sense 2.1 and does it seem faster than stock Froyo?

Awesome. Wasn't a long wait at all :)

Updating the sticky thread. Thanks delta - TKO (not del taco)!
Can someone walk a novice through the steps here? Like, exactly what files to download, where to put them, and what to do with them? Many many many thanks in advance (my nandroid backup is going as we speak).

Can someone walk a novice through the steps here? Like, exactly what files to download, where to put them, and what to do with them? Many many many thanks in advance (my nandroid backup is going as we speak).

Was just thinking the same thing lol

If there is some place that already has the step by step of flashing a ROM, could some one post the link?

Choose whether you want the odexed or deodexed version. If you don't know, choose odexed.

Download the file and stick it on your SD card wherever you like. I like to put it right at the root (top) level.

Boot into recovery. Do your NANDroid backup. when it's done, find the option to flash .zip file. Navigate to where you saved the file and select it. Press OK to confirm the flash. That's it.

The recovery image will be your one-stop shop for NANDroiding, flashing ROMs, as well as wiping your data/cache/dalvik cache. It's all in the menus.

Go to this thread:
[ROM][STOCK] --- Version 4.22.651.2 --- odexed & deodexed --- - xda-developers
Download whichever one you prefer (Odex is more like out of box Sprint)
Copy to the root of your SD card
[Suggest] Back up apps
Boot into recovery
Make a nandroid, return
(*Note: The following steps are from Amon_RA, CWM is similar)
Select Wipe
[Suggest] Wipe all/Factory reset
Wipe Cache
Wipe Dalvik
Return
Select Flash zip from sdcard
Select Choose zip from sdcard
Select the ROM you copied
It will now give you a chance to back out. If you have the correct file selected, hit power.
Select Reboot system now

First reboot may take longer than usual.

Back
Top Bottom