• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 2.3 OTA Update w/ Rooted EVO vs an Unrooted Evo

thanks everyone on here for making this so easy and being helpful.. i didnt realize TB had all those functions..

so.. now i got the 2.3.3 on my phone.. and loving it.. and i am trying new launchers instead of sense.. pretty cool.. thanks again..

I think we had one in this thread: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/92459-how-do-you-unroot-unrevoked-method-2.html that it updated his hboot but failed to flash the rom without the stock recovery. At least that is what it seems like from the info he gave us.

Looked over the thread. Yeah... Looks like that guy tried to get the OTA while rooted, and his bootloader got replaced with a locked one, while his OS remains intact. Unless unrEVOked can flip that S-ON/OFF switch from HBOOT 2.15, he might be stuck like that for a while....

thanks everyone on here for making this so easy and being helpful.. i didnt realize TB had all those functions..

so.. now i got the 2.3.3 on my phone.. and loving it.. and i am trying new launchers instead of sense.. pretty cool.. thanks again..

If you get to liking other launchers, you might think about trying an AOSP rom. They do not have sense included but are very snappy and use LP or ADW instead of the sense launcher. Just something to think about.

Go to this thread:
[ROM][STOCK] --- Version 4.22.651.2 --- odexed & deodexed --- - xda-developers
Download whichever one you prefer (Odex is more like out of box Sprint)
Copy to the root of your SD card
[Suggest] Back up apps
Boot into recovery
Make a nandroid, return
(*Note: The following steps are from Amon_RA, CWM is similar)
Select Wipe
[Suggest] Wipe all/Factory reset
Wipe Cache
Wipe Dalvik
Return
Select Flash zip from sdcard
Select Choose zip from sdcard
Select the ROM you copied
It will now give you a chance to back out. If you have the correct file selected, hit power.
Select Reboot system now

First reboot may take longer than usual.

Does the kernel (Kernel - HTC#1 May04 w/ RAMDisk (Stock ROM)) & Firmware (Radio, WiMAX and PRI Updates Must be flashed through hBoot/Fastboot! Not Recovery.) also need to be download from that link and flashed or are those steps already included in the main ROM (4.22.651.2 Rooted & De-Odexed) ?

So let me make sure I’ll do it right:

I have root from unrevoked, but never changed the stock ROM (that is, same Sense U/I and everything that came on the phone before root). I follow the instructions:

“Go to this thread:
[Suggest] Back up apps
Boot into recovery
Make a nandroid, return
Select Wipe
Wipe Cache
Wipe Dalvik
Return
It will now give you a chance to back out. If you have the correct file selected, hit power.
Select Reboot system now

First reboot may take longer than usual.”

…and I’ll have 2.3.3 (Gingerbread)?

[FONT=&quot]Also, at the XDA site, it showed 2 kernels (for either Stock Rom or Other Roms). I should ignore those and just use ‘odexed?’

Thanks in advance!
[/FONT]

So let me make sure I’ll do it right:

I have root from unrevoked, but never changed the stock ROM (that is, same Sense U/I and everything that came on the phone before root). I follow the instructions:

“Go to this thread:
[Suggest] Back up apps
Boot into recovery
Make a nandroid, return
Select Wipe
Wipe Cache
Wipe Dalvik
Return
Select Reboot system now

First reboot may take longer than usual.”

…and I’ll have 2.3.3 (Gingerbread)?

[FONT=&quot]Also, at the XDA site, it showed 2 kernels (for either Stock Rom or Other Roms). I should ignore those and just use ‘odexed?’

Thanks in advance!
[/FONT]
Following those instruction will flash the new, stock Sprint Gingerbread ROM with the stock Sprint kernel. Odex is the format of files in the ROM, it has nothing to do with the kernel. The kernels at xda are customized, and will modify the way your phone responds to input, battery life, and probably allow you to over/underclock the CPU.

Following those instruction will flash the new, stock Sprint Gingerbread ROM with the stock Sprint kernel. Odex is the format of files in the ROM, it has nothing to do with the kernel. The kernels at xda are customized, and will modify the way your phone responds to input, battery life, and probably allow you to over/underclock the CPU.

I think he is asking about the kernel & firmware from that link. I asked a similar question in post #154 . Also when doing a nandroid backup what options do you choose to backup or can you just select all of them?

Does the kernel (Kernel - HTC#1 May04 w/ RAMDisk (Stock ROM)) & Firmware (Radio, WiMAX and PRI Updates Must be flashed through hBoot/Fastboot! Not Recovery.) also need to be download from that link and flashed or are those steps already included in the main ROM (4.22.651.2 Rooted & De-Odexed) ?
Not sure. I haven't actually flashed the ROM and doubt that I will. I run a different AOSP GB ROM that I much prefer over stock and Sense ROMs. Check Settings/About phone/Software info and see if they match. If the version numbers in the link are later than yours, you need to update. Your phone will still work without updating, but probably not as efficiently. You may need to research and learn how to flash via HBoot. I'm out and about right now and can't link you to something more helpful. Sorry about that.

Not sure. I haven't actually flashed the ROM and doubt that I will. I run a different AOSP GB ROM that I much prefer over stock and Sense ROMs. Check Settings/About phone/Software info and see if they match. If the version numbers in the link are later than yours, you need to update. Your phone will still work without updating, but probably not as efficiently. You may need to research and learn how to flash via HBoot. I'm out and about right now and can't link you to something more helpful. Sorry about that.

Okie dokie...I will look into it.

Power off, then hold volume down + power til a white screen comes up. It will have s-on or s-off and hboot version listed at the top.

After you verify that, select recovery from the menu and tell us what it does

It shows s-off and hboot version 2.10.0001. When I boot into recovery mode, it shows ClockworkMod Recovery version 1.2.6.0.1. From there I was able to select reboot, and reboot the phone.

My phones rooted with the stock rom. I downloaded the update but when I install it it goes to a black screen with a triangle and exclamation point. I pulled the battery and it rebooted fine but didnt install. I really dont care if I lose root. Not a big deal to me.

What do I need to do to get it to install? I unfroze all the bloatware so I have everything a stock evo would have except I have super user permissions.

My phones rooted with the stock rom. I downloaded the update but when I install it it goes to a black screen with a triangle and exclamation point. I pulled the battery and it rebooted fine but didnt install. I really dont care if I lose root. Not a big deal to me.

What do I need to do to get it to install? I unfroze all the bloatware so I have everything a stock evo would have except I have super user permissions.

you need to go to the sticky and download and flash the new stock rom.. cant use the one downloaded from HTC...

you need to go to the sticky and download and flash the new stock rom.. cant use the one downloaded from HTC...
Is a stock rom or one for people who are rooted. Having to flash all the stuff needed make me nervous. I can unroot pretty easily but when it comes to all the stuff needed to be flashed on top of the update that makes me leery.

its the OTA one that you downloaded.. except it works for rooted phones.. you wont lose any data or anything.. very simple.. just did my brothers phone in bout 10 minutes..

this is what i did..
1. download the new rom.. called supersonic...something..zip
2. copy to my sd card
3. turn off phone
4. hold down volume down button, click power button
5. click on recovery, on the white screen
6. in recovery mode, click backup, and do a backup
7. still in recovery, clear cache
8. still in recovery, clear davlik
9. still in recovery, install zip from sd card
10. still in recovery, after zip is installed, reboot.

the first reboot takes a while.. after that.. your done.. your apps, your backgroud, everything is still the same..

this is what i did..
1. download the new rom.. called supersonic...something..zip
2. copy to my sd card
3. turn off phone
4. hold down volume down button, click power button
5. click on recovery, on the white screen
6. in recovery mode, click backup, and do a backup
7. still in recovery, clear cache
8. still in recovery, clear davlik
9. still in recovery, install zip from sd card
10. still in recovery, after zip is installed, reboot.

the first reboot takes a while.. after that.. your done.. your apps, your backgroud, everything is still the same..
did you have to flash all the radios and extra stuff as well?

I'd like to know this as well. Also, what file did you install? I'm finding several and not sure which one to use. Does Shoot Me still work? I've read it doesn't. TIA. ;)

No one seems to know...I have asked this question earlier and didn't really get an answer.

As for the difference between Odexed or De-Odexed, I found that out...I will be going with the De-Odexed once I figure out if I need to install that kernel and the radios.

unrevoked is just a program to root your phone. you can go here to flash the stock ota [ROM][STOCK] --- Version 4.22.651.2 --- odexed & deodexed --- - xda-developers. and it is sense.

ocnbrze,

Maybe you know...when flashing this new ROM does the kernel (Kernel - HTC#1 May04 w/ RAMDisk (Stock ROM)) & Firmware (Radio, WiMAX and PRI Updates Must be flashed through hBoot/Fastboot! Not Recovery.) also need to be download from that link and flashed or are those steps already included in the main ROM (4.22.651.2 Rooted & De-Odexed) ?

Back
Top Bottom