• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ClockWorkMod v5.0.2.7 (file system/recovery utility) update 01/12/12 FIXED

Try one of the custom kennels (Kouma's should do it)

It woo not wipe your phone. i recommend wiping dalvik for good measure

As long as your card isn't partitioned, it shouldn't change the way phone handles your data (i think :D ) if I'm wrong, someone will be along shortly to make me feel foolish :D

Can you point me to a thread about wiping dalvik? I don't believe I have ever done that. :P

Thanks for the help. I'll give the Kouma kernel a try. I guess since the thread has a lot of different steps to go through and some of it involved wiping data out that I thought it involved a phone wipe. I guess if I wanted to use the EXT4 features it would, but I'm not interested in using EXT4 so I should be fine I guess. :P

EDIT: Kouma appears to require EXT4 on my SD Card....looks to be a pain to set up. I'd have to back up my SD card prior to doing this and I already have a few apps that were moved to it...

Here are 2 easy ways to wipe the Dalvik. You can use Titanium Backup. Open it , tap menu, tap MORE then you will see the option to clear your Dalvik . Second option, you can go in to CWM recovery, select advanced and select the option to wipe the Dalvik Cache.

You can also use an app like Root Explorer to delete it entirely and let it rebuild but the first 2 are the easiest

I will be using CWM to install the kernel so I'll go the CWM route. Thanks. :D

EDIT: Kouma kernal hangs at boot screen....Ok other options?

Uhm Gingerbread on EJ06. I even tried repartitioning the SD Card and adding a EXT4 partition and a swap partition...same result. Delvik was wiped prior to boot as well.

I recall that my build.prop has a few of those 3G tweaks in it. Will those cause problems with Kouma kernel? (And I installed Kouma using CWM)

I have to go to work now. Will be back in 8 hours if my sister isn't sleeping when I get back. If not, then I'll be back tomorrow.

Hmm I waited about 1-2 min after that I thought it froze. I can reinstall it and wait the 5 mins. Do I still need to do anything with the SD card or can I leave it as is? (I had already repartitioned it back to FAT)

My SD card is a class 2 Sandisk 8GB by the way.

Hmm I waited about 1-2 min after that I thought it froze. I can reinstall it and wait the 5 mins. Do I still need to do anything with the SD card or can I leave it as is? (I had already repartitioned it back to FAT)

My SD card is a class 2 Sandisk 8GB by the way.

Sounds like the same card I have.
First boot with most mods is generally painfully slow. Just let it run unless it actually reboots or starts vibrating in patterns a -lot-

Nope didn't work. Waited 10+ min while at work then put it in the locker. Came back for break two hours later and it was by then just a blank screen. (the phone was still on though since if I touched the screen or any of the buttons, the home button and such would glow on for a few seconds)

During break I tried repartitioning the SD card to EXT4 and a swap parition via CMW again. It would sit at the boot screen for 10 minutes then after that it would go to just a blank screen and sit there doing nothing else. :(

Not sure what's going on. I'll read through the Kouma thread and see if I missed anything. Oh and the phone never did any vibrating during the boot process. It just hangs silently at the boot screen for 10 or more minutes and goes black after that.

I will be using CWM to install the kernel so I'll go the CWM route. Thanks. :D

EDIT: Kouma kernal hangs at boot screen....Ok other options?

Sorry I wasn't able to get back in here . I had to take of some things outside the house .

I've learned to wait on the phone as long as it doesn't start bootlooping . Like LVincent and Kouma said , it can take a while sometimes .

2+ hours seems like a brick to me.... When I tried it at work I left it in my locker for 2 hours and came back and it had still not booted up. I then tried it again. Looks like it takes about 15 or so minutes before it hits the blank screen. After that it won't do anything else. 2 hours seems long enough to determine that it's bricked. :P May try the Odin version and see if I get any different result.

Yeah , it should never take more than 10 minutes . At least it never has on mine. Odin is your best bet .

Odin'ed back my backup and now Oden'ing the Odin version of Kouma. If it doesn't work then I'll try the "HalfAssedRom" mod. It's appearently stock rom + kouma already installed. So that means another phone wipe. But you know what....I really really want custom boot animations. :D

I will buy a class 10 16GB MicroSD card in the very near future. Any recommendations on how to migrate my data over to it once I get it?

I have plan on what my custom boot animation will be. Once I get the phone running in a state that will accept animations, I will attempt to make it. It won't have fancy animations and what not and will be relatively simple in nature (but will have multiple frames to it though so it will animate to some degree)

I may post it up somewhere when I finish it. I will try and find a thread that is dedicated to custom boot animations and will post it there when I think it's ready. :D

There is an app on the market that gives you access to A LOT of bootani's . It's called Absolute System Tools for Root Users . I've been using it for quite some time now . It has fonts and a terminal emulator along with a few other features that Titanium Backup has as well . It's a paid app . Just wanted to give you a heads up on that .

Good luck on fixing your phone . If Odin can't fix it , it will more than likely need to be sent in for repair .

It's not actually "Bricked" in the sense that if Kouma doesn't work, I just Odin back my backup that I made courtasy of CWM. The only way can see the phone ever getting truelly bricked is if I was somehow stupid enough to try using Rom Manager or if lightning takes out power while I happen to be flashing the boot rom? I don't even think the part of the phone that has download mode is even touched by Odin at all (as long as I keep using the correct OPS file) so ....yeah not going to happen. :D

As for Kouma, the Odin version didn't work either. So I installed the "HalfAssedRom" via CWM which meant a phone wipe, but now it's on a working Kouma kernel and it's using the EXT partitions as right now the phones internal storage is only reading about 7.5MB of used space and installed the SpeedTest app and it did not budge....perhaps the installed apps are automatically going to that EXT4 partition on my SD card. Not entirely sure how it works. Looks like from now on I won't be pulling out the SD card from the phone unless it's off. Transfers from PC will be done from the phones USB cord. Seems like the safest way of doing it. :D

Yeah the boot animations app sounds like a good route, but what I have in mind is very specific and I'm pretty sure it doesn't already exist somewhere. :P

So now I'm thinking about the logistics of the SD card upgrade. The plan is to boot the phone in recovery mode and repartition the new card. At which point I would restore what ever is on the FAT partition.

The tricky part is how I'm going to move over the data in the EXT4 partitions...Do not have a build of Linux to play with those, so I need a drive copy app that supports linux partitions and altering SD cards.... :P

I'm sure that Kouma will help you out with that since you are running his new ROM . Just post in that thread so he'll see it . :D

EDIT :

On more thing .... welcome to the forum . It's nice to see new members getting active in here like you are .

LOL , I like that Matrix boot too . This app I've got called Absolute System for Root Users has two different colored versions of it .

i get an error when formatting /sd-ext

i went into cwm and under mounts and storage i went to format /sd-ext
and it comes back with an error
formatting /sd-ext...
E:format_volume: make_extf4fs fablock/mmcblk0p2
error formatting /sd-ext !

Thanks. I'll move to the kouma thread and ask about SD card upgrades and such. :D

Most of your terminology is wrong. Also, your trying to flash a custom kernel on stock? Which version of KK are you trying to flash? I believe 1.4 and up only support ext4 file systems, so you would have to flash 1.2.

I rooted my phone like two weeks after it was released. When i hold the Up arrow and power button i boot up into what looks like a different type of recovery utility.

Android system recovery (3e)

Samsung Recovery Utils
-for BML-

Then i have four options
reboot
apply sdcard:update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition

I have a feeling a have a different bootload, i have tryied to install CWM with Odin but Odin says reset but never resets phone. I waited til it said pass, rebooted holding up and power, back to same (NOT CWM) recovery tool as before.

Any tips on getting CWM installed on my phone?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom