• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Custom Design - Triumph Aluminum Case

What do you guys think about making 4 round depressions in the back side to put 4 rubber adhesive dots so when you set it down it lifts off the surface a smudge? I personally don't mind it the way it is, but your call.

On second thought, I rather like how it is right now, and could probably add small rubber feet as my own mod later if I wanted.

Well guys I think there has been enough interest in this to warrant ordering a prototype. The problem is I don't have $100 bucks to order one (unless the other 2 manufactures get me a quote tomorrow that is cheaper). I'm also not inclined to ask for your money to get a prototype, seeing as this is the internet and you guys probably don't want to risk your money.

What I may propose is this. We pool money to build a prototype. If every one donated 5 bucks I think we could do this. Then what I think I will do is turn it into a lottery and once i'm done with the prototype I will pull names out of hat and ship it to them. Since the prototype will be in plastic it will serve as a functional case too. (assuming there is no major flaw I have overlooked.) I will also chip in some of my own money because I also want to see this come to fruition. I also have a buddy who knows some local machinists that may be able to get a prototype going for cheap.

I'm open to comments or alternatives to this idea.

I'm in. Not worried about losing 5 bucks if it doesn't work out.

I'd put $5 in the pool for this as well.

Tell you what. Why don't we create a new post (I can do it) and get a list going. If I make the thread I can update the OP with the list of people wanting to put into the pool. After the prototype gets made and all the kinks worked out and it is ready to make on a larger scale (however many that would be) anyone who put into the pool get first dibs on getting one.

Does that sound good to everyone?

bobloadmire if you can PM me with the info for a paypal I will put it in that post and what we need to get this done. We probably don't want to do it just yet until we get all the different quotes, but we can start on the list of people wanting to pitch in.

edit: By the way, I like the drawings with the more rounded edges instead of the sharper ones.

I'd put $5 in the pool for this as well.

Tell you what. Why don't we create a new post (I can do it) and get a list going. If I make the thread I can update the OP with the list of people wanting to put into the pool. After the prototype gets made and all the kinks worked out and it is ready to make on a larger scale (however many that would be) anyone who put into the pool get first dibs on getting one.

Does that sound good to everyone?

bobloadmire if you can PM me with the info for a paypal I will put it in that post and what we need to get this done. We probably don't want to do it just yet until we get all the different quotes, but we can start on the list of people wanting to pitch in.

edit: By the way, I like the drawings with the more rounded edges instead of the sharper ones.

im game! :D i will try to get my mom to send you $5 and i will pay her back :p

I'm getting some measuring discrepancies. Moto says the triumph is 0.38976378 inches thick. I'm getting more like 7/16 (0.4375) inches measuring mine. Can anyone confirm?

I'm getting some measuring discrepancies. Moto says the triumph is 0.38976378 inches thick. I'm getting more like 7/16 (0.4375) inches measuring mine. Can anyone confirm?

Are you using a calibrate tool to measure it? Also, if you have a case for your phone you can take the measure of the inside of the case

Are you using a calibrate tool to measure it? Also, if you have a case for your phone you can take the measure of the inside of the case

no I don't have a micrometer unfortunately. inside case measuremeant is rough, all i have is a tape measure. :p

i have to say, this idea is ingenious!!!

only one thing i would add to the design, i would use the same type of padding thats on the battery door just to keep the case from scratching the phone, and a tiny bit more protection. its very thin so should not interfere with the size...
plus the android forums logo can be etched in during manufacture easily

im throwing my name into the pool list, hope to see this mainstream, it would be insane!!!

p.s. if your still looking for a laser cutting shop i may have a local sollution where i am.

I can check it when I get into work in the morning, i have a nice pair of calipers that are perfect for this

EDIT: I am getting around .435in

Thanks man. Yeah that's a smidgen over 11mm. Moto says its 9.9mm thick. Ridiculous, glad I didn't take their word for it.

Back
Top Bottom