• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Custom Design - Triumph Aluminum Case

Ok the upper half has been made and is shipping today, Unfortunately there were some manufacturing corrections that had to be made on the bottom piece (my logo was too thin =/) so i removed my logo and it is being made.

This is definitely a cool idea for a case, although I think aluminum is the wrong material, and here's why:

1. May affect radio performance. Honestly, I don't know too much about how radios are affected by aluminum, but I would imagine adding a metal layer surrounding the phone isn't going to help your signal any.

2. Aluminum is slippery. You did add big bulges on the corners, which will help, but it would not make the phone any less slippery. With a beefy case like this, you would think it wouldn't matter much if you drop your phone, but...

3. Aluminum is a brittle material. Therefore, a high percentage of the shock of a fall would be transferred to your phone's case (or whatever the metal casing is touching, depending on where it hit). I would be nervous about this causing the phone's screen to shatter. Although it is gorilla glass, so you never know.

Not trying to sound like a dick, just throwing out some ideas to help prevent potential problems. Would love to see this project succeed. Coolest case I've ever seen :)

This is definitely a cool idea for a case, although I think aluminum is the wrong material, and here's why:

1. May affect radio performance. Honestly, I don't know too much about how radios are affected by aluminum, but I would imagine adding a metal layer surrounding the phone isn't going to help your signal any.

2. Aluminum is slippery. You did add big bulges on the corners, which will help, but it would not make the phone any less slippery. With a beefy case like this, you would think it wouldn't matter much if you drop your phone, but...

3. Aluminum is a brittle material. Therefore, a high percentage of the shock of a fall would be transferred to your phone's case (or whatever the metal casing is touching, depending on where it hit). I would be nervous about this causing the phone's screen to shatter. Although it is gorilla glass, so you never know.

Not trying to sound like a dick, just throwing out some ideas to help prevent potential problems. Would love to see this project succeed. Coolest case I've ever seen :)

1. again look at any apple product with tons of aluminum. mac books, iphones ipads ipods, they are fine.

2. these will be brushed aluminum, not really that slipper, probably as "grippable" or more than plastic. Again look at apple products. when they drop nearly every time its the glass that goes. There is a reason they build airplanes and jets out of aluminum. dude to physics there is no way this could increase force applied to the phone during a drop. even if the case were made out of dimond. Although it will be cold to hold.

3. This is flat out wrong. Aluminum is a very soft metal, very maleable. Brittle metals are something more like tungsten or tungsten carbide even more so. Aluminum is very flexible and if this case is dropped, it will dent, but probably dent the receiver more.

Aluminum is about a 2.5 to 3 depending on carbon content and treatment. (Diamond being 10, steel being anywhere from 5-8 depending on carbon content and treatment.)
Mohs scale of mineral hardness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sources: my B.S. in industrial design.

1. again look at any apple product with tons of aluminum. mac books, iphones ipads ipods, they are fine.

2. these will be brushed aluminum, not really that slipper, probably as "grippable" or more than plastic. Again look at apple products. when they drop nearly every time its the glass that goes. There is a reason they build airplanes and jets out of aluminum. dude to physics there is no way this could increase force applied to the phone during a drop. even if the case were made out of dimond. Although it will be cold to hold.

3. This is flat out wrong. Aluminum is a very soft metal, very maleable. Brittle metals are something more like tungsten or tungsten carbide even more so. Aluminum is very flexible and if this case is dropped, it will dent, but probably dent the receiver more.

Aluminum is about a 2.5 to 3 depending on carbon content and treatment. (Diamond being 10, steel being anywhere from 5-8 depending on carbon content and treatment.)
Mohs scale of mineral hardness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sources: my B.S. in industrial design.

I agree, and I definitely think that the aluminum construction is part of what makes this case so appealing. Thanks for all of your work

Ok the upper half has been made and is shipping today, Unfortunately there were some manufacturing corrections that had to be made on the bottom piece (my logo was too thin =/) so i removed my logo and it is being made.

awesomeness! cant wait to hear how it comes out :D

if it comes out good, can you make a video of the prototype please? (basically im asking you to show off :p )

thanks again man

I like some felt on the final model. Don't want the phone to get scratched while in the case ya know :) *points to snap on phone shells damage on the Optimus V*

For what it's worth...

ASUS Transformer Prime teardown details GPS issue | Android Community

The updated ones will have a plastic top edge to address the issue. Definitely don't look as nice though, from the pics i saw.

Don't have any idea how this applies here.

Don't get me wrong, i really want this case!

yeah i have been looking at that. it appears to be a brut force issue. you are covering the antenn complety with metal and i guess even if its not ferromagnetic you enough of anything in the way it can disrupt certain frequencies. I'll read up on it more. with the ammount of aluminum i have (20g) i dont think it should be an issue especially considering im not eveloping the entire phone.

awesomeness! cant wait to hear how it comes out :D

if it comes out good, can you make a video of the prototype please? (basically im asking you to show off :p )

thanks again man
ha of course. im a huge attention whore.

phone typos :/

Could you explain "too thin"?

Could you explain "too thin"?

all manufacturing processes have a minimum wall thickness. in this case, FDM, you have a minimum wall thickness of 0.7mm. you make your walls thinner than that they either collapse or fuse together, mine being the latter. we are dealing with molten plastic so there is on so much resolution these machines have. on my hone otherwise I'd go into more detail

Ok, thanks. More later then...

Anyway, i keep forgetting the proto is plastic.
I'm assuming that this is not an issue in the final aluminum?

Ok, thanks. More later then...

Anyway, i keep forgetting the proto is plastic.
I'm assuming that this is not an issue in the final aluminum?

what else do you want to know about FDM?

also since this prototype is FDM and mot from a mold (Which almost all are) we dont' have to worry about shrinkage or tolerances after injection molding because the plastic cools in place dot by dot, so this should be 99% the same as the aluminum model.

I'm a Gnex owner and I am not sure how I stumbled on this thread, but holy non printable words that is a cool looking case. I have no skin in the game, but I am subscribed now because I want to see how it comes out. Thanks in advance for just making something really cool looking.

I have to say I registered after following this thread and wanting one of these cases, however he's got a couple points you are erroneously dismissing.

Your first point about the apple products is the most glaring. The apple products are designed from the get go as they are, and go through extensive testing. It's likely they utilize part or all of their cases as antennas.
Aluminum does in fact block RF energy. The Triumph already has issues with poor GPS reception. You're going to be testing it with a plastic prototype to ascertain whether there are operational problems with an end product made of aluminum?
oops. logical fallacy in thar.

As for aluminum being hard well he used the wrong terminology. It like most metals doesn't absorb shock well. It really is not going to provide any shock protection for the phone at all and may make it worse.

You make a couple of other erroneous assertions if you tie them together, yes, aluminum is malleable but not the alloys used for aircraft, they add other elements to make it strong which actually make it quite brittle which is why they have frequent NDT for stress cracks in airframes.

Anyone who's into bicycling (I am) knows there are strengths and weaknesses inherent to chrome moly steel, aluminum and titanium in bicycle frames. Aluminum gives a very harsh ride which is why my hybrid is ti.

All of that unimportant to this case but I think that reception issue IS. You're not going to know what wrapping this phone in aluminum is going to do until you get them all made, I think it's going to be bad. Yet for all we know it could improve it. This is why you test it first with an accurate model.

good luck. (FWIW the day I brought mine home I made a case on my sewing machine, double thick vinyl)

I have to say I registered after following this thread and wanting one of these cases, however he's got a couple points you are erroneously dismissing.

Your first point about the apple products is the most glaring. The apple products are designed from the get go as they are, and go through extensive testing. It's likely they utilize part or all of their cases as antennas.
Aluminum does in fact block RF energy. The Triumph already has issues with poor GPS reception. You're going to be testing it with a plastic prototype to ascertain whether there are operational problems with an end product made of aluminum?
oops. logical fallacy in thar.

As for aluminum being hard well he used the wrong terminology. It like most metals doesn't absorb shock well. It really is not going to provide any shock protection for the phone at all and may make it worse.

You make a couple of other erroneous assertions if you tie them together, yes, aluminum is malleable but not the alloys used for aircraft, they add other elements to make it strong which actually make it quite brittle which is why they have frequent NDT for stress cracks in airframes.

Anyone who's into bicycling (I am) knows there are strengths and weaknesses inherent to chrome moly steel, aluminum and titanium in bicycle frames. Aluminum gives a very harsh ride which is why my hybrid is ti.

All of that unimportant to this case but I think that reception issue IS. You're not going to know what wrapping this phone in aluminum is going to do until you get them all made, I think it's going to be bad. Yet for all we know it could improve it. This is why you test it first with an accurate model.

good luck. (FWIW the day I brought mine home I made a case on my sewing machine, double thick vinyl)

well thanks for taking the time to post.
As to apple products, the iphone 4 and 4s are the ones using the aluminum case as antennas. Other products such as their laptops, the antenna is built into the lid and ipads, ipods built into the upper backside of the device, since it is most likely to be raised. Iphone use 2 separate aerials so that they can more efficiently be designed for different frequencies (I.e. 2.4ghz and 850 / 1900 mhz, and shorting these two with a finger is what caused the issues, but thats not here nor there.) This has actually causes issues, the whole "you are holding it wrong" debacle. This is the problem of using the casing as an aerial because even human skin conducts. Have you ever held an AM/FM antenna and noticed the change in reception? You hold a phone all day so the antenna is grounded to the internal circuitry, not the casing (exemption being iphone 4 and 4s) thus permits negligible interference. And of course they go through extensive testing, it's apple.

who said I was going to be testing reception with a plastic prototype? you seem to be putting words in my mouth. This prototype is fitment only, obviously.

"Aluminum does in fact block RF energy" yes, and so does your hand, abs, and so does oxygen and nitrogen. A cloudy day inhibits reception. You replied to this topic as if this is the first ever aluminum case made for a phone. This has been done before.

"It like most metals doesn't absorb shock well. It really is not going to provide any shock protection for the phone at all and may make it worse." This right here is a bit ridiculous. back to physics. I am invoking newtons second law of motion. F = m (dv/dt)

If force is what we are looking for (since this tends to be the deciding factor on whether your screen will crack or not), delta mass is constant and delta v (velocity) is our only varible. If delta v is our change is acceleration (or in this case deceleration, but thats not an appropriate way to approach this since deceleration is less acceleration) you basically just said that a metal case increase acceleration of the phone when it hits the ground. Maybe you hadn't thought this far into it when you posted, but that is absurd. And I know you are into biking and while aluminum may giver a harder ride than carbon fiber, there are bigger variables than bike frames such as tire type, saddle type and frame geometry. And no offense but your tush isn't a very accurate G-meter. On top of this I'm sure you are aware that you are way more likely to break a carbon fiber bike than an aluminum one because aluminum is soft and flexible and carbon fiber is hard and strong but brittle. but now i digress lol.

back to metals and aircraft. aircraft as you state use alloys of aluminum and are a bad example. but I guess in a way this further proves my point "Aluminum alloys are used extensively in aircraft due to their high strength-to-weight ratio. On the other hand, pure aluminum metal is much too soft for such uses, and it does not have the high tensile strength that is needed for airplanes and helicopters." source: Aluminium alloy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

all in all aluminum can reflect or absorb RF, in the end it should be a wash or negligible. Like you said it could even improve receptiom. but untill I get a local machinist to CNC one, we wait. Again this is not the first aluminum case for a phone.

Oh and not meaning to talk down to you with newtons 3rd law, I have no idea what level of education you have and error on the side of explanation.

So I was looking closer to how apple did it with the iPad 2, since there is no plastic opening at the top like the ipad 1. They used the speaker grill at the bottom of the ipad, which for one is extremely small, and two only perforated, for what its worth.

So I was looking closer to how apple did it with the iPad 2, since there is no plastic opening at the top like the ipad 1. They used the speaker grill at the bottom of the ipad, which for one is extremely small, and two only perforated, for what its worth.

i think our phone should be fine... the antenna is at the bottom of the phone (correct me if im wrong) so we shouldnt have any problem with cell service. and as for the gps... who cares :p it sucks anyways lol (it should also work fine, as the case has many openings aroung the outside of the phone)

also, when the final product is being made, are they gonna mill it out of blocks of aluminum?

i think our phone should be fine... the antenna is at the bottom of the phone (correct me if im wrong) so we shouldnt have any problem with cell service. and as for the gps... who cares :p it sucks anyways lol (it should also work fine, as the case has many openings aroung the outside of the phone)

also, when the final product is being made, are they gonna mill it out of blocks of aluminum?

correct. and it should not be too inneficient because the bottom half can be rotated to fit inside the upper half to minimize waste and keep costs down. The beauty of the 2 piece design is that it allows for flexibility for the CNC tooling, although there is a possibility that it may have to be altered a smidge to CNC requirements, but I think a 5 axis mill will have no problem. check this out, similar to this. Matsuura Maxia: V8 Engine Block Machined From Solid - YouTube

Well it's not something I feel like getting in a pissing contest over but it seems from a post on the first page you have some misconceptions about how RF energy behaves around aluminum:

Since aluminum is not a ferromagnetic material be believe signal atteniation should be minimal.

I was an aviation fire control technician in the US Navy, meaning I worked on radar equipment on aircraft. The waveguides which carry RF energy to the antenna (on the planes I worked on) are in fact made of aluminum, and direct and contain RF energy with 100% efficiency- unlike the human hand which is a dielectric material, not conductive. The fact you'd even compare human flesh to a conductive material like aluminum suggest you do need to rethink your grasp of RF technology.

Carry on, just don't say nobody said anything about it.

Oh and FWIW this may be wrong but I heard somewhere the battery door is part of the antenna.

Well it's not something I feel like getting in a pissing contest over but it seems from a post on the first page you have some misconceptions about how RF energy behaves around aluminum:

Since aluminum is not a ferromagnetic material be believe signal atteniation should be minimal.

I was an aviation fire control technician in the US Navy, meaning I worked on radar equipment on aircraft. The waveguides which carry RF energy to the antenna (on the planes I worked on) are in fact made of aluminum, and direct and contain RF energy with 100% efficiency- unlike the human hand which is a dielectric material, not conductive. The fact you'd even compare human flesh to a conductive material like aluminum suggest you do need to rethink your grasp of RF technology.

Carry on, just don't say nobody said anything about it.

Oh and FWIW this may be wrong but I heard somewhere the battery door is part of the antenna.

Skin not conductive? Reason defibrillators work? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_conductance
water and oil.

anyway we can agree to disagree on that.

About the battery door, I read the same. It does have metal in the door, my guess is that this is more for FCC regulations on EMI but that's just a guess.

Skin not conductive? Reason defibrillators work? Skin conductance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
water and oil.

anyway we can agree to disagree on that.

About the battery door, I read the same. It does have metal in the door, my guess is that this is more for FCC regulations on EMI but that's just a guess.

If you can find the word skin in my post that's news to me.

You were suggesting the human hand and aluminum were somehow comparable in their transparency with RF. This is laughable, one is considered conductive, the other, a dielectric.

The fact that skin can be conductive alone does not make it a non dielectric.

All of that is a circular argument to the well known fact that aluminum is not at all transparent to RF energy and blocks it.

If I'm going to debate people who use dodgy tactics to avoid admitting they are just plain wrong, it's going to be over matters of more serious gravity than this.

For all you know this is going to turn the phone into a brick on the reception factor. Without testing a prototype with the same materials used in the end product there is simply no way of knowing.

I didn't post initially in search of a vanity exercise as you seem to be pursuing, but to not see someone invest the capital to make a hundred or more white elephants.

Have a nice day.

The plastic prototype is just to make sure all the measuements are correct before production run...

Also, could you make the case attach to the external antenna port? So the case turns into a large antenna?

P.s- just ignore the guys your arguing with. He just looking for trouble

If you can find the word skin in my post that's news to me.

You were suggesting the human hand and aluminum were somehow comparable in their transparency with RF. This is laughable, one is considered conductive, the other, a dielectric.

The fact that skin can be conductive alone does not make it a non dielectric.

All of that is a circular argument to the well known fact that aluminum is not at all transparent to RF energy and blocks it.

If I'm going to debate people who use dodgy tactics to avoid admitting they are just plain wrong, it's going to be over matters of more serious gravity than this.

For all you know this is going to turn the phone into a brick on the reception factor. Without testing a prototype with the same materials used in the end product there is simply no way of knowing.

I didn't post initially in search of a vanity exercise as you seem to be pursuing, but to not see someone invest the capital to make a hundred or more white elephants.

Have a nice day.

lol U MAD? you did say human flesh. The human body is 70-80% water. The body's affect on RF can be proved just by touching a radio antenna. but I agree I am exhausted arguing this point, and you are right, It needs to be tested with an aluminum case... which have been used on many other phones before this one.

Edit: wow I found a hilariously relevant source for human bodies and RF http://www.smeter.net/daily-facts/1/fact25.php

Back
Top Bottom