• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Custom Design - Triumph Aluminum Case

The plastic prototype is just to make sure all the measuements are correct before production run...

Also, could you make the case attach to the external antenna port? So the case turns into a large antenna?

P.s- just ignore the guys your arguing with. He just looking for trouble

Ha I know, but notice i'm the only one citing sources?

While that is an interesting idea to use the case as an antenna, I think we would end up "apple-ing" it and reduce reception while held. though the phone does use a standard antenna connector so it wouldn't't be hard. I have an extra antenna laying around. When I get an aluminum prototype I'll take it apart, connect it and see what happens.

EDIT: and holy cow the donations keep coming. I just want to say thanks to everyone, the support is really mindblowing, I was not expecting this much support! can't eait to do a video review of the shapeways prototype!

For what it's worth, I think batvette has some good points. This case, like the MT, looks good on paper (screen), but when it's actually made, there will be a lot of problems. It doesn't look comfortable to hold, adds bulk, could cause RF interference, & instead of protecting the phone, could probably scratch the plastic underneath it.

Really sorry guys, really wasn't trying to start a war here :(

I think our best solution would be simply to create a single aluminum prototype before making a whole bunch and have someone (presumably the OP) use the case for a week or so and see if they run into any issues.

Just wondering, what are the advantages of using a metal case over a plastic one? I believe plastic has the advantages of being more lightweight, cheaper, and easier to mold.

For the record, I am NOT trying to start an argument. I am not a materials engineer. Hell, aluminum could be more lightweight, cheaper, and easier to mold than plastic for all I know. I am just curious what made the OP choose aluminum over plastic or some other more common case material. My reason for asking is this: phone manufacturers have been making cell phones for a long time. You would think if metal phone cases were a good idea, surely one of the manufacturers would have done that by now?

Edit: For those hesitant about the aluminum case, watch this http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/htc-one-v/
Looks like the big wigs think it's a good idea :)

Really sorry guys, really wasn't trying to start a war here :(

I think our best solution would be simply to create a single aluminum prototype before making a whole bunch and have someone (presumably the OP) use the case for a week or so and see if they run into any issues.

Just wondering, what are the advantages of using a metal case over a plastic one? I believe plastic has the advantages of being more lightweight, cheaper, and easier to mold.

For the record, I am NOT trying to start an argument. I am not a materials engineer. Hell, aluminum could be more lightweight, cheaper, and easier to mold than plastic for all I know. I am just curious what made the OP choose aluminum over plastic or some other more common case material. My reason for asking is this: phone manufacturers have been making cell phones for a long time. You would think if metal phone cases were a good idea, surely one of the manufacturers would have done that by now?

Edit: For those hesitant about the aluminum case, watch this http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/htc-one-v/
Looks like the big wigs think it's a good idea :)

While im not opposed to a plastic version at all, for small production run aluminum will be cheaper. The reason is this. With aluminum you mill it out of block of aluminum. If you want to make a lot of plastic cases FDM isnt a viable method because they are 60 a pop. You need injection molding, very fast and very cheap.... once you have the tooling. Tooling costs are ridiculous. To make an injection mold cast would probably be $1000. They only make sense when you are making thousands of cases. So thats our conundrum.

For what it's worth, I think batvette has some good points. This case, like the MT, looks good on paper (screen), but when it's actually made, there will be a lot of problems. It doesn't look comfortable to hold, adds bulk, could cause RF interference, & instead of protecting the phone, could probably scratch the plastic underneath it.

As far as the scratch issue, Bob already said he'd add a bit of slop so that a felt lining can be applied.
http://androidforums.com/motorola-t...sign-triumph-aluminum-case-3.html#post4039922

lol U MAD? you did say human flesh. The human body is 70-80% water. The body's affect on RF can be proved just by touching a radio antenna. but I agree I am exhausted arguing this point, and you are right, It needs to be tested with an aluminum case... which have been used on many other phones before this one.

Edit: wow I found a hilariously relevant source for human bodies and RF Human RF Radiation Risks

I think rather than be a pain in your ass I could help you out here.
I have a small workshop at home, I've made a few things out of aluminum, for instance this enclosure for a remote for a Rockford Fosgate signal processor:

Picture016.jpg

that was part of this system, all the parts I also fabricated:

batvette4.jpg

batvette1.jpg

batvette3.jpg

Now it wouldn't really be that big of a deal to duplicate this for a functional prototype to test the reception factors. I can cut an "x" surrounded by a rectangle that approximates the dimensions of your design, then attach a frame made of extrusion or "U" channel, drill out some reliefs where you have areas punched out for jacks and switches, and it can be ugly as hell- as long as it's got aluminum where your design has it, within reasonable tolerances.

Let me know if you would like that. (or if anyone is better at this than I be my guest. I can do it but I'm a little sloppy)

I think rather than be a pain in your ass I could help you out here.
I have a small workshop at home, I've made a few things out of aluminum, for instance this enclosure for a remote for a Rockford Fosgate signal processor:

that was part of this system, all the parts I also fabricated:

Now it wouldn't really be that big of a deal to duplicate this for a functional prototype to test the reception factors. I can cut an "x" surrounded by a rectangle that approximates the dimensions of your design, then attach a frame made of extrusion or "U" channel, drill out some reliefs where you have areas punched out for jacks and switches, and it can be ugly as hell- as long as it's got aluminum where your design has it, within reasonable tolerances.

Let me know if you would like that. (or if anyone is better at this than I be my guest. I can do it but I'm a little sloppy)

now we are talking. sure try it out. 2mm thick aluminum. 3mm at the thick edges.

Hey can you send me any kind of plans you have which might be printable or even just viewable without any proprietary CNC or design application? Looking mainly for dimensions and placement of the "x" on the back, would like to get that dead on as it covers the battery cover.

Btw, your system looks badass.
:D

Thanks, I competed in IASCA sound competitions with that and won my division in So Cal in 1998, removed a lot of it a year later because it was just TOO loud. (and the weight and power consumption were extreme) Still have the car though I drive more a humble Honda Passport most of the time. With a pair of 15's in the back. :)

Thanks, I competed in IASCA sound competitions with that and won my division in So Cal in 1998, removed a lot of it a year later because it was just TOO loud. (and the weight and power consumption were extreme) Still have the car though I drive more a humble Honda Passport most of the time. With a pair of 15's in the back. :)

Holy crap. I have found that 300w 10" is more than enough for me. Ill see if I can render a schematic for you.

Holy crap. I have found that 300w 10" is more than enough for me. Ill see if I can render a schematic for you.

They were more appropriate in this:

hearse05.jpg

as it had a disco in back. I got rid of the hearse and sat on em for awhile. they were what I had to use when I put a system in my daily driver, so.....

It goes against what you'd think but larger subs give much more output with less amp power (and of course play lower) The downside is the huge enclosure, though mine are in a sealed 4.25 cu.ft. enclosure I made that hugs the back seat, you forget it's even there(unless you have to haul something big)

If you have something let me know and I'll PM you my email, if you don't that's okay I think I can guesstimate it close enough. I found a piece of 1/8" aluminum plate that is easier to work with than the stuff with the diamond pattern, will cut the back in one piece and try to make the front and sides as one piece by JB welding various pieces together so I can just fit them over the phone and hold them together with a rubber band.
As long as it puts 2mm of aluminum where your design does, leaves it open where it should, and all pieces are electrically conductive with each other it should functionally duplicate your design. (I doubt the 3mm sections would have any further effect than the 2mm, which is effectively the same as 1/8")
I'll photograph it when its done and post pix as well as before and after signal strength readings and GPS tests using one of the GPS test apps.

That leaves one thing to test first, does JB weld conduct electricity? It's got steel in it.... better check.

Hi just saw this post and this looks amazing. I'll buy one as soon as they're ready for "mass production." :)

I've got access to a rapid prototyping machine and a 4 axis aluminum mill, I can absolutely make a few prototypes. Could I get an .stl or .step file? I'll post what I print/mill out asap

I've got access to a rapid prototyping machine and a 4 axis aluminum mill, I can absolutely make a few prototypes. Could I get an .stl or .step file? I'll post what I print/mill out asap

That's wesome. Do you want me to makesure the plastic ones fit or do you just want them now? I get the plastic ones on the 19th. How is that 3 day shipping?

That's wesome. Do you want me to makesure the plastic ones fit or do you just want them now? I get the plastic ones on the 19th. How is that 3 day shipping?

Nah, just send them both, i just won't print out the plastic one until I know that they fit. Be sure to update us on the 19th though lol

Back
Top Bottom