• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need help

You can do the nandroid backup...it will create a folder on your sd card named "nandroid backup" or something nandroid..
You can always transfer that folder to a new card should you decide to do so.
That backup can only be used with the phone that made the backup.

okay then ill try that...but theres like 5 options which one do i choose?

I haven't been following the thread, so I do not know what all you are trying to accomplish.

i also do not know to what extent a 2 gig card will not work with the evo. will it just not let one put a recovery on or does it mess with other stuff? I do not know. Probably be safer to try working with it vs your 8 gig if you have stuff on it that you want.

In a perfect world, it should just put stuff in files that the evo would use and not be a bother for when you put it back in your other phone but I can't guarantee that. so I wouldn't take the chance.

I would try sitcking the 2 gig in the evo now and just use your new recovery to format it, no partition or anything, and see what you can do with it till you get you a new card, preferably a class 10 or so for speed purposes if you do decide to partition and use a2sd in the future.

I haven't been following the thread, so I do not know what all you are trying to accomplish.

i also do not know to what extent a 2 gig card will not work with the evo. will it just not let one put a recovery on or does it mess with other stuff? I do not know. Probably be safer to try working with it vs your 8 gig if you have stuff on it that you want.

In a perfect world, it should just put stuff in files that the evo would use and not be a bother for when you put it back in your other phone but I can't guarantee that. so I wouldn't take the chance.

I would try sitcking the 2 gig in the evo now and just use your new recovery to format it, no partition or anything, and see what you can do with it till you get you a new card, preferably a class 10 or so for speed purposes if you do decide to partition and use a2sd in the future.

do i actually have to make a back-up? im just going to remove the SD card and see what happends :/

like I said, I haven't been following the thread.

before i did anything else to the phone though, I would make a nand backup. like flash a rom or something.

I think I'd do it on the other card though, or back up the 8gig completely first so you don't risk losing anything,

I am just being hyper safe though.

before i did anything else to the phone though, I would make a nand backup. like flash a rom or something.

I think I'd do it on the other card though, or back up the 8gig completely first so you don't risk losing anything,

I concur...put backup on other card....later get bigger card

well im using the 2gig right now and its all into the other android system recovery looks like a key ontop of htc grey?

Are you going to format that card in that recovery to start? If that doesn't work then you'll know not to waste any more time with it.

I have to head of to zzzzzzzzz land now, let us know how it turns out! Mike'll lead you through!

Are you going to format that card in that recovery to start? If that doesn't work then you'll know not to waste any more time with it.

I have to head of to zzzzzzzzz land now, let us know how it turns out! Mike'll lead you through!

i might but where do i get the mikeG file?

well im using the 2gig right now and its all into the other android system recovery looks like a key ontop of htc grey?
Yeah, thats just part of the icon.
Use your volume up/down buttons to move cursor
Use volume button to select

highlight backup/restore--hit power
highlight Nand backup--hit power
The first 4 items are already checked
Now use volume down button to highlight recovery and hit power to check
do the same for sd-ext, .android-secure, wimax, autoreboot.
Do not have to check "compress_backup)
then hit "perform backup"
It will prompt you at bottom "perform backup?"
Hit power...let it do its thing...might take awhile then it will auto reboot
Done!!!!

Edit: do the backup, let me know, I also need to go zzzzzzzz
We'll pick this up tomorrow

Edit again: see my post #20 for MikG links and read carefully...
Its all good man...no worries

Well i did the back up amd.i then zzzzzzzzzz lol.

And well the goal im thinking it was change my recovery and then get MikeG sense?

Well i did the back up amd.i then zzzzzzzzzz lol.

And well the goal im thinking it was change my recovery and then get MikeG sense?
Correct, just later on, think about getting a bigger card, at least class 6, and perhaps 16gb....
But yes, goal was change recovery and then MikG.
I'm at work now, so if my replies are delayed, you know why. I'll do my best to check in here:)

Correct, just later on, think about getting a bigger card, at least class 6, and perhaps 16gb....
But yes, goal was change recovery and then MikG.
I'm at work now, so if my replies are delayed, you know why. I'll do my best to check in here:)

^.^ well i just got home lol...and well whats the next step after doing the recovery? :o lol.

^.^ well i just got home lol...and well whats the next step after doing the recovery? :o lol.

Well, you wanted to activate your phone correct?
Are you on mynns warm 2.2 rom or something...if you are, that is a sense rom.
If you want to stick with that, thats fine.
However, If you want a really nice rom, check out MikG...I posted a link back in post 20. It's also a sense rom. I ran it for 5 months. Until last week.
Dont worry about partitioning your current card until you get a better one.
My recommendation is 16gb, class 6 or higher.
I run a 32gb, class 10...way overkill but that's the way I roll:)

just an fyi the evo has issues with 2g cards especially if you are using a PC36IMG file. not to metion that nandroid backups are pretty big. i would definitely invest in a faster card. i use this one:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/413571-sharin-love-16gb-class-10-card-25-a.html.

i just saw a father's day add for the very same card at FRY's (in the Los Angeles area) going for $12.99!!!!!!!!

Well i think im going to buy a 8gig right now since i dnt have that much cash right now :b. Just to save me a little trouble c: sooo....mikg should b better then the one i have? I think.ill like that mikg

Well, you wanted to activate your phone correct?
Are you on mynns warm 2.2 rom or something...if you are, that is a sense rom.
If you want to stick with that, thats fine.
However, If you want a really nice rom, check out MikG...I posted a link back in post 20. It's also a sense rom. I ran it for 5 months. Until last week.
Dont worry about partitioning your current card until you get a better one.
My recommendation is 16gb, class 6 or higher.
I run a 32gb, class 10...way overkill but that's the way I roll:)

Do.i have to download 3.11 full wipe and 3.11 update?

Do.i have to download 3.11 full wipe and 3.11 update?
Just download the full wipe. Not the update
Also read and re-read the install/flashing instructions...you can skip the step where it tells you to "flash a custom kernel" because MikG3.11 will come with its own kernel
And remember to wipe everything in recovery except sd card....repeat...do not wipe sd card!....wipe a couple times perhaps....:) then flash rom..(the rom will wipe some necessary stuff also by itself)

Edit: I gotta go for couple hours, but I'll be back...

Just download the full wipe. Not the update
Also read and re-read the install/flashing instructions...you can skip the step where it tells you to "flash a custom kernel" because MikG3.11 will come with its own kernel
And remember to wipe everything in recovery except sd card....repeat...do not wipe sd card!....wipe a couple times perhaps....:) then flash rom..(the rom will wipe some necessary stuff also by itself)

Edit: I gotta go for couple hours, but I'll be back...

Where does it say all that?.:o lol

I had 2 liks in post 20. One for the downloads and one for instructions. The one for instructions you have to scroll down a few posts

Im like soooo lost but let me start in post 20 its the mikg file and under that u put im guessing the instuctions so thats what.im going to use

Back
Top Bottom